Motorsport Games, Codemasters and FIA World Rallycross Championship presented by Monster Energy partner to create the World RX Esports Invitational Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Formula 1 to begin 2016 season in April

Formula 1 is set for a considerably later start to the season in 2016 after Australian Grand Prix organisers announced that the Melbourne opener will be taking place on the first weekend of April.

In a surprise move aimed at condensing the campaign, next year's event at Albert Park has been given a slot of April 3, which will also enable an earlier race start due to daylight saving time.

"It's fantastic that Melbourne will again play host to the opening round of the Formula 1 World Championship," explained Australian Grand Prix Corporation CEO Andrew Westacott.

"Over the past 20 years Melbourne has become synonymous with the start of a new Formula 1 season, and we look forward to again welcoming all the teams and drivers to our great city in 2016.

"The new date will see an earlier start time, and fans can expect the same great on-track action and off-track entertainment across the four days." 

Source (GPUpdate)

I absolutely approve condensing the schedule where possible. These 2-3 week gaps between races...sucks.

tbh personally I'm not too sure about this I think having too many races at once could cause a few problems also with tiredness for the teams and drivers as they won't get as much of a breather between races. Also not sure whether I'd want to watch as much if it's all crammed in either. I think I'd prefer the races more spread out as they are now

there should be a race every sunday staring from 1st sunday in april until the last sunday in september, 27 race calendar, 6 months racing, 6 months resting/testing :-)