NEUTRAL being selected below 1st gear is WRONG

A never ending series of complaints and now another one.

Neutral is not selected by flippers or levers or anything going down down down.

It is absolutely ridiculous that you can so easily accidentally select neutral and ruin the turn and the engine.

REAL gearboxes are not like that.

Absurd. One more absurd thing.

But I keep trying.

• Agree 4

"REAL gearboxes are not like that."  Good thing it's only a video game then, huh?

Your comment about how accidentally selecting neutral could ruin a turn and the engine has a bit more weight to it, but there's how many turns on the F1 calendar that would even have you go down to 1st gear?  I'm not saying there aren't others, but I am only coming up with 1 (Monaco hairpin).  Even if there were a handful of others, would that even be enough to really worry about "accidentally" selecting neutral?  At that point I'd just suggest being more deliberate and calculated with your downshifts.

"Absurd"?  Hardly.  Because video game?  Absolutely.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 3

I agree it can be a bit frustrating to lose engine braking on corner entry and scream the engine on exit. Flashback becomes a good feature!

I think there are many more serious issues with the game that should be addressed first to be honest.

Neutral should be another motion to use just like on the real wheels.

Maybe hold the downshift paddle for 1.5 seconds after first. 

If that's a problem then just get rid of neutral all together. Even that would be more realistic.

I genuinely hate that this has not been implemented along time ago.

Please fix. It would be so easy to do

• Like 3

I mean I totally get what you mean... but I think this isn't worth it to change at this point as people will say stuff like "Codies changed some animations/bindings, but they don't fix the real issues, lol"

• Agree 1

While we're on the topic of incorrect steering wheel gestures can we pleeease change manual brake bias adjustments to steering wheel controls only.

They haven't done that since 2013.

• Agree 1

Hmmm..I wasn't aware that we can shift from 1st down to neutral without being at a low speed. I have to try that! 

This is a thing that must be fixed with other hundreds little features like car control in pit lane / random failures / slowmo sequence after terminal crashes. These little things all together will raise the game experience a lot and will make the game really immersive once they are fixed. I think the biggest problem for F1 serie is the lack of a proper gameplay immersion, it is so superficial now. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It is just a game but it is also a simulator. Flicking down gears in the heat of an overtake or a brake lockup can overwhelm the timing and one can easily lose track.

You can't see the wheel when looking for the apex and the wheel is often turned anyway.

Finding false neutrals is a well known thing in racing that will always stuff you up.

If it was easy to keep track they wouldn't have the numbers displayed and a gear change lighting system with audible beep.

F1 cars have a neutral button, other sequential gearboxes have it between first and second that you can just pass through easily.

I think it should be easy to code in seeing as there is a lot of code for gearbox variation anyway.

On 9/14/2019 at 12:38 PM, UP100 said:

(...)people will say stuff like "Codies changed some animations/bindings, but they don't fix the real issues, lol"

But it's true though 😏

In our leagues we have a saying ,

oh no ..... Not  Mr Neutral again,

ooh the places I have lost from Mr Neutral,

. Mr Neutral strikes everywhere lol.

• Haha 1

Make sure you haven't binded any controller options for engage clutch as this mean neutral is more easily selected.

On 9/15/2019 at 11:56 AM, Igbon said:

It is just a game but it is also a simulator. Flicking down gears in the heat of an overtake or a brake lockup can overwhelm the timing and one can easily lose track.

You can't see the wheel when looking for the apex and the wheel is often turned anyway.

Finding false neutrals is a well known thing in racing that will always stuff you up.

If it was easy to keep track they wouldn't have the numbers displayed and a gear change lighting system with audible beep.

F1 cars have a neutral button, other sequential gearboxes have it between first and second that you can just pass through easily.

I think it should be easy to code in seeing as there is a lot of code for gearbox variation anyway.

Agreed, although it is a stretch to compare this game to a sim.

But yeah, false neutrals can be pretty damn dangerous. Had one tracking my bike that about made me change my shorts.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 8:50 AM, Skye68 said:

Maybe hold the downshift paddle for 1.5 seconds after first. 

0.5s each to go to neutral and then reverse?

I just roleplay it as a false neutral. One of my bikes had that habit. Would not fancy it on a track @DaleRossi !

But a more sensible method would be better.

It's the little things that matter so much in anything, but especially in F1 and an F1 game, no?

Have fun 🙂

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, DaleRossi said:

Agreed, although it is a stretch to compare this game to a sim.

But yeah, false neutrals can be pretty damn dangerous. Had one tracking my bike that about made me change my shorts.

To be honest the fact that it is a sim means that things are meant to be that way otherwise it wouldn't be realistic to the IRL counterpart.