DiRT 2.0 disappointing loyaltys

Two questions up for debate?

1. The issues and bugs are very annoying but are they made worse because the game is so good when running properly?

2. Will players gravitate to WRC8 as a result because by most reports it's ment to be as good if not slightly better than 2.0?

I have never cared for the handling with the WRC series (primarily with the the WRC 6 and 7 I tried on PS4).  As far as the DiRT series, I have played DiRT 3, DiRT 4, DiRT Rally, and DR 2.0 and also own and still play all but DiRT 3 all the time because they are that much fun in their own ways. 

Edit:  As far as question number 1, I agree that we are so close to what could/should be expected from our favorite rally game series, so each little bug is bittersweet.   My enthusiasm has not been curbed in any way and I have been playing daily since the first day we all couldn't play because racenet was down and required for career mode lol...

Edited by Bobby1976
I forgot to answer one of the questions asked
  • Agree 1

I didn't care for the handling on Dirt rally but 4 was ok. As for WRC they spend 2 years on this on and allegedly changed the driving style and a number of other aspects to make it a much better experience. Besides they should have done that years ago, I'm not say it is better I haven't tried it but it is bad news when a lower category off shoot is much better than the main event, it's like an F2 game being better than F1.

Can I just say, I still bash it hard but with so many issues on a regular basis my enthusiasm is getting dampened. 

the positive attention WRC 8 is getting is because it's so much better than the previous games in the series, plus it's got a deep career mode. expectations were relatively low, and it's pretty good.

DR2 got negative press because its release was rushed (because they needed to move on and finish up F1 2019 and Grid) so it came with a lot of bugs and it was trying to live up to one of the best-loved and most popular rally games of all time. so even though it's great (the physics, graphics, car list, etc are still far better than WRC8 ) .... because expectations were super high, a lot of fans thought it was worse than it actually is.

TLDR: it's all about expectations, and how the product compares to them. if something is surprisingly good, you notice it more than if you hoped it would be amazing, but it was "just" great.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

13 hours ago, thedarkone46 said:

Can I just say, I still bash it hard but with so many issues on a regular basis my enthusiasm is getting dampened. 

we are all in the same boat but rome was not built an a day, good things come to those that wait.hang on in there pal it will get there eventually

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, chrisjaf said:

we are all in the same boat but rome was not built an a day, good things come to those that wait.hang on in there pal it will get there eventually

Yes we are but I hope it sorts itself out before I've had enough and find something else to play. Chances are any other game with this many problems would have been in the bin ages ago.

9 minutes ago, thedarkone46 said:

Yes we are but I hope it sorts itself out before I've had enough and find something else to play. Chances are any other game with this many problems would have been in the bin ages ago.

that's all well and good but how many other driving games out there give you the thrill dirt rally does ?.i know all to well what your saying but facts are facts there is little to no competition for this game at the moment.its horses for courses wrc 8 is not as good in my opinion all the cars sound like lawn mowers yes there is more tracks and longer stages but becomes stale very quickly.we are getting there now pj is pro active on forums

Edited by chrisjaf

Got wrc 8 over the weekend and while it has some good things that dirt rally 2.0 doesn’t have, the handling is still not anywhere near as good as both dirt rally games in my opinion. Wrc 8 still has most of the same stages as wrc 7. Also wrc 8 is not without its own bugs either , as in the pic below, in car view has no steering wheel and no driver while driving, just hope that they are as pro active at fixing the bugs like codemasters are.

EE35E935-A65B-46A9-AE5F-DE120B166DB6.jpeg

• Agree 1

hi   

1 wrc 8 have better  tarmac than dirt rally 2.0 ( is not the best but is really better ) i explain  the germany  and monte carlo have road very bumpy   with this country   is not possible to drive with hard setup and very low car      and spain is flat  so your setup  is not same  than monte carlo and germany . ( i play with wheel ) is your car is to much low you have bad vibrations and sometimes you loose control .

2 dirt rally 2.0  have better  gravel   and snow  ( in wrc 8 is good too but DR 2.0 is better )

3 dirt rally 2.0 have better graphism than wrc 8

4 dirt rally 2.0 have better sound effect than wrc 8

5 dirt rally 2.0 have better car  model than wrc 8 , in DR 2.0 the car is more beautiful  and  when you drive in dashboard all interior is different because you have really cokpit , in wrc 8 you have sometime same cokpit and he is not beautiful  

6 wrc 8 have more different weather ( and he have  dynamic weather too )  than   dirt rally 2.0 

7 wrc 8 have better pace note ( really better )     , in dirt rally 2.0 the pace note  is horrible        

8 wrc 8 have better landscapes   ( house , mountain , town ....)   the only town part  in DR 2.0 is in  poland and spain 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Agree 2

The problem here is codemasters seem more reactive than pro and WRC has literally has only just come out were as Dirt has been out for a while and some issues are big but still your right, the more game play I see on reviews rather that what people say it doesn't really look much different from previous. I'd still like to hope Codys will sort it out properly sooner rather than later.

• Agree 1

I forgot in wrc 8 on the tarmac with rwd car slide and drift is more better   than dr 2.0 

lancia evo 37 13:17  look( sorry for annoying playseat sound ) 

Edited by gk9147

Hey gk9, 

What I was really after was peoples opinion on DR2.0s bugs and issues WRC was merely a secondary thought, although I'm not disappointed in people's answers and reaction.

My main thing is I love most of what codemasters works, it just none of the other games have ever had such problems that seem as bad when they happen as on DR2 and that happen on such a fairly regular basis.

• Like 1

I'm too old to falling in love for a game or game company. No sentiments. they are gone since rf2 release as well as SMS WMD fails.
I would like to be treated seriously, as a customer who paying requested fee for advertised quality. Not like a tester working for free, guaranteed that a lot of my reports will be simply ignored. BTW SMS took it to extreme, requesting from community to create issues list, but not communicating what is fixed. PC2 changelogs were laughable.
Unfortunately for some reasons (and if one don't know one, it's likely about money) we get half-baked products. This happening with every title I know through recent 5 years. I mean, I checked not too many games: rf2, DR2, AC1, ACC, PC1, PC2... and every single one had been full of bugs at the release date. On the other side there are a few VR titles (not as complex as DR though) which are 100% perfect being not even patched much. Also I cannot say bad word about DR1 even being a part of early access.

So, it's not true that only DR2 is buggy. Did you know that PC2 had improperly working real weather which stopped working at all being never fixed? Did you know that PC2 had problems to load stored setups, doing a mess in loaded values more than half year after release? Do you know that in this game there is a limit of 10 pit strategy slots, but when you have already 10, you cannot even edit one, because of this limit (never fixed)

If it has been a single occurrence, I would say **** happens. But It's repeating again and again by every studio with every title recently. So my guess is, it's a business model: to sell as early as possible, then release patches, then abandon it. Maybe this model effectively earns more money than finishing the product first, prior to release. Maybe it's better for publishers. But for sure not for players.

Since this I've decided: to not step into early-access, to no buy preorders, wait until the product is matured enough. As a bonus: I can buy usually for half a price. Again, I surprised it works for investors/publishers, because I would be ready to pay full price at day one for polished game.

I remember days when games have been released using physical medium. No company could afford releasing an unfinished product because bugs immediately been impacting product ratings (due to limited access to patches by customers). Today, players glorify companies for patches year after release forgetting about reasons patches are needed. Reasons which are not acceptable IMO. And it's not gonna change until community/players stop buying unfinished products.

BTW I'm not even sure, after commercial fail of D4 and not so good sales of DR2, if CM wants to work on DR3. Just imagine WRC9 being even better taking a place of DR franchise.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl
  • Agree 2

Hi Max,

I hear what your saying and I mostly agree and were our points may differ slightly it's not enough to mention, I will say my previous comments are made on the basis that

A. I play very few game and 99% of which are motorsport related and really only 3 on a very regular basis due to daily and weekly events. 

B. When I find a game I like, I normally stick with it, not to the point of obsessiveness, I'm not that good just compitant.

C. F1, GT SPORT, Ride 2 and a couple of others don't and I haven't experienced anywhere near the same problems and issues, none are perfect but the disruptions and bugs are normally patched fairly quickly.

And yes I remember the all consoles from ps1 and previous (No I'm not saying how old I am). 🙂

3 hours ago, thedarkone46 said:

Hey gk9, 

What I was really after was peoples opinion on DR2.0s bugs and issues WRC was merely a secondary thought, although I'm not disappointed in people's answers and reaction.

My main thing is I love most of what codemasters works, it just none of the other games have ever had such problems that seem as bad when they happen as on DR2 and that happen on such a fairly regular basis.

for me i think  ,  is difficult to explain because my english is bad   

when you see paul coleman ,  (and maybe other dev i don t know  ) and  after christina    leave codemasters( i talk only for dirt team ), i think maybe codemasters have new dev( not all new dev team ) and there have been replacements for important positions ( example : now ross gowing is new game director and he has replaced paul coleman )  and  more . in management this can create upheaval during the development of a game

i said this because codemasters since 2018  create lot of announce for recruiting new dev and other . 

and for pace note error   jon armstrong discover  this work   ( yes is really good  rally driver and yes he win WRC e-sports championships , i respect this performance ) but i think the pace note is only for e-sport and player who drive with very low setup ( 540 , 360 ,270 degree  ( e-sport player drive with this setup )( and very high sensibility with controler too ) because this note is very high and not for player who play  with normal setup ( controler and steering wheel  ) i hope for the futur ( futur update pace note maybe  or new rally game )  jon armstrong  will make pace- notes for the rally fan player and not for the e-sport player .   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gk9147 said:

1 wrc 8 have better  tarmac than dirt rally 2.0 ( is not the best but is really better ) i explain  the germany  and monte carlo have road very bumpy   with this country   is not possible to drive with hard setup and very low car      and spain is flat  so your setup  is not same  than monte carlo and germany . ( i play with wheel ) is your car is to much low you have bad vibrations and sometimes you loose control .

2 dirt rally 2.0  have better  gravel   and snow  ( in wrc 8 is good too but DR 2.0 is better )
3 dirt rally 2.0 have better graphism than wrc 8
4 dirt rally 2.0 have better sound effect than wrc 8
5 dirt rally 2.0 have better car  model than wrc 8 , in DR 2.0 the car is more beautiful  and  when you drive in dashboard all interior is different because you have really cokpit , in wrc 8 you have sometime same cokpit and he is not beautiful 
6 wrc 8 have more different weather ( and he have  dynamic weather too )  than   dirt rally 2.0
7 wrc 8 have better pace note ( really better )     , in dirt rally 2.0 the pace note  is horrible       
8 wrc 8 have better landscapes   ( house , mountain , town ....)   the only town part  in DR 2.0 is in  poland and spain

Agreed. Codemasters need to watch developments of WRC series. 8 is much better than 7 and something already better than in Dirt Rally 2.0

Dirt Rally series need:
- better carrier mode
- better tarmac physics (Spain is ****)
- analogue handbrake
- similar clear, user-friendly menus like WRC 8 or Pcars 2 has
- better co-driver's pacenotes (DR has much better so it's a real pain and a big step backwards)
- more and better liveries (better a real one than a D+ fantasy)

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, gk9147 said:

for me i think  ,  is difficult to explain because my english is bad   

when you see paul coleman ,  (and maybe other dev i don t know  ) and  after christina    leave codemasters( i talk only for dirt team ), i think maybe codemasters have new dev( not all new dev team ) and there have been replacements for important positions ( example : now ross gowing is new game director and he has replaced paul coleman )  and  more . in management this can create upheaval during the development of a game

i said this because codemasters since 2018  create lot of announce for recruiting new dev and other . 

Christina didn't leave CM, she just changed jobs in the company.

recruitment is not just about replacing people who leave. do not forget that they are growing as a company (they are putting out 3 games in 2019!) so that is probably why they have been hiring a lot.

8 minutes ago, ianism said:

Christina didn't leave CM, she just changed jobs in the company.

pretty sure she left the company when she was offered a 1st party position working for Microsoft. Can't really blame her either, it's a massive career move that you'd be crazy to pass up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2