GRID Essentials - Multiplayer Details

GRID’s multiplayer features are designed around giving you the same choice, action and enjoyment that GRID’s single-player modes thrive on. It’s an all-out race for glory, with near-endless combinations of superb circuits and iconic cars awaiting you.

Whether you’re jumping into random races against the world, or running an all-night custom lobby with your friends, multiplayer in GRID delivers on excitement, intensity and fun, every time you get online.

Quick Match

GRID_20190827131953-1024x576.jpg

Quick Match is the fastest way for you to get into the action. If you’re looking to immerse yourself in the GRID experience with any car, on any circuit, in any condition, dive into Quick Match.
Here, you’ll be added to a lobby of other drivers and a race from GRID’s ever-changing, curated list of events will be chosen for you. From top GT models on race-ready tracks, to Tuner road cars on tight street circuits, and everything in between, be prepared for anything to be thrown your way.

Once your lobby is ready, it’s time to choose your car from the event’s chosen class. If you already own a car from that tier, you can race with it and earn the full amount of rewards. Don’t own one of the cars for that race? Each class and tier includes one vehicle that’s available to loan, which deducts a small amount of your winnings but gets you into the action.

Within two button presses from the main menu, you’re thrown into the Mulitiplayer Quick Match fray, where you can race as much as you want and back out at any time. It’s all about keeping you in the action and giving you a fresh, unpredictable racing experience, 24/7.

Private Match

GRID_20190827131944-1024x576.jpg

Private Match is the place to be for those all-night race-fests with friends, bespoke events and organised, competitive racing. Private Match gives the lobby host the keys to just about all aspects of a GRID event, lets you customise them to your heart’s content, and then invite other racers into your preferred racing scenarios.

Choose between a Race, Time Attack or Point-to-Point event and choose any category and tier of racing from GRID to get started. Adjust privacy settings, decide if AI will also feature and their difficulty level, the damage level (including terminal), use of Flashbacks, how the grid order is formed and if you’ll use a standing or rolling start.

GRID_20190827131354-1024x576.jpg

Want to extend the fun even more? Add a single-lap qualifying mode before races, add multiple rounds to create a championship with rolling points totals, and adjust the race distance, all the way up to 99 laps. Yep. Ninety-nine.

Why are we letting you adjust all the above? Because GRID is all about accessibility and choice. We want to give you the license to create experiences that exactly match what you want out of GRID, whatever that might be – from crash-heavy, just-for-laughs lobbies, to serious competitive racing.

GRID_20190827131647-1024x576.jpg

Invite your friends, your foes, or your fellow racing league competitors into the lobby for a fully customised GRID experience that will truly be #LikeNoOther – because you designed it.

Skirmish

Who’s got time to sit on a lobby screen and just wait for other players to ready-up? We do things very differently in GRID…

GRID_20190827130818-1024x576.jpg

Once you enter a lobby in either Quick Match or Private Match, you’ll be dropped into Skirmish: a multiplayer-only mode that puts you in the Jupiter Eagleray Mk5 on a figure-of-eight circuit. No route, no laps, no rules – just you and your lobby, free to race around and get… destructive.

Remember to jump into the menus to choose your car and ready up, of course, but this is a much better way of killing time before the next race, right?

#LikeNoOther in Multiplayer

Throughout all multiplayer events, you’ll earn rewards and have the chance to express how you’re a racer #LikeNoOther.

Currency is earned through competing in any GRID event, which can be used to purchase cars for your garage – essential to you earning full rewards in all races. You’ll also increase your Driver Level as you progress, which unlocks more liveries and customisable items. Speaking of which…

In the Player Profile page, customise your player card, which appears before the start of any race. Adjust your race number, and choose from the banner images, panel images, and accolades you’ve unlocked. Fly your country’s colours, show your individuality, let ‘em know what they’re up against. All of this will also appear when you finish an event in the top three, as you can bask in your glory and show off your true colours.

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:39 PM, ELITE-Team-Solo said:

Could we get ranked races vs People of your own skill level(rank) in the future? 

Not out of the question, especially with the Player Level system already included in the game, but nothing confirmed at this stage. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Not out of the question, especially with the Player Level system already included in the game, but nothing confirmed at this stage. 🙂 

Thats great to hear I like it in games because it adds alot of replayableity and its fun to grind to reach the rank u wane be in afther reaching the end in your progresion 

Will there be text chat and spectate mode? 

EDIT: this question has been asked numerous times since after GAS was released without these 2 features and has never been given a reasonable answer why they've been removed. The fact that they keep on avoiding to answer it simply means they will not be available in the new GRID either. Seems to me the multiplayer of the new game will not be any better than that of GAS, which is a real disapointment. I dont play single player games... why buy them? Irecently bought GAS and for XBOX only to find out the multi is completely dead - waste of money!!!

Edited by Boyan
  • Agree 1

On 9/16/2019 at 8:55 PM, Assiemodis said:

Is there a kick option?

If so how does it work?

+1 to this really wanna know if this is an option, private sessions are easy enough to lock out others. Yet too many public sessions get ruined by wreckers just intent on mayhem. I'll Miss Derby for this alone as it distracted many wreckers and gave them summat to DO with their intent to cause mayhem.

A vote to kick system like there was in Grid 1 along with text chat in game allowed a general consensus of players in the session the option to remove overly aggressive drivers. I'd suggest it be a nominate a player (remains unseen by the lobby) a 2nd nomination triggers a mandatory vote to kick for all players with a simple YES/NO choice.

More worried about open multiplayer like can you see friends playing and jump into their lobby. Spectate and text chat other than steam would be cool and of more value to me than skirmish but thats my opinion, not everyones 🙂

MOST concerned that we don't get a repeat of the cheaters ruining the game, I really would like to know Codemasters stance on this and what actions if any will be taken regarding potential offenders.

I know of the "No naming and shaming" rules here in the forums. Quite right too. Report them for investigation but don't slander people in public.. I was accused of cheating in GAS along with many friends by other forum users of lets say, "lesser talent" (All incidents were checked and we were proven innocent, ALL such accusations were removed repeat false accusations got such people banned from the forums), One went on to specifically target several of us for in game anihilation using some cheat/trainers speed and damage hacks, They progressed onto changing their Steam name to imitate ours and started using said cheats/trainers in an effort to get us accused of cheating by other gamers thereby ruining our reputations allround....

With GAS's very clever damage accumulation over time to it's vehicles, it more often than not promoted clean fun (along with the player rating system) the behavior of a few individuals like those above ruined many cars I'd taken great care to level up, beaten to a wreck by abusive directed attacks. Is there a similar system in GRID 2019? How will it work? 

I've already invested in the game so knowing how these kind of issues will be handled this time round would set my mind at rest. 

1) How will you handle Cheat/Trainer use? (I'd suggest a short term ban from online multiplayer rising upto a permanent online ban for repeated violations).

2) How will you reduce targetted in game abuse? (Vote to kick system would stop this and promote better racing for all).

3) Can anything be done by Codemasters to limit Account immitation? (Steam did too little too late about account immitation, but in game rep wreckers... We need a method of reporting them both to Steam and Yourselves, Kicking them from sessions helps but doesn't completely).

4) How can we counter In game reputation wreckers? (Vote to kick system plus/or reporting to Steam or yourselves for checking?)

5) What "policing" actions do Codemasters intend for in game leaderboards? (I'd like to see the removal of glitch/cheat/trainer achieved times).

All of the above make a lot of demands on Codemasters which SHOULDN'T be required in the 1st place but it's an imperfect world. knowing how they'll be addressed would be a great help. Vote to kick WOULD remove many of these issues but even that can be abused to a certain extent. (hence my suggestion of forced yes/no voting after 2 players nominate, majority decision stands and is enforced).

There's nothing wrong with the forum rules and as they are applied fairly and rapidly eliminates any form of attempted abuse here.

Can we force Dashcam & Cockpit cam for online races? Also are there searchable lobbies? 

2 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

Also are there searchable lobbies?

Very good question. As for forcing certain views, it was in Autosport so more then likely yes.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Have to say with the game days away the multuiplayer options ie what you can do in terms of a championship seem a little obscure. Can you edit the champioship in anyway ? ie the players , not the setup options,  can you add Ai to replace a player if he/she cant turn up for a race for whatever reason like you can in F1 leagues ? Id like to know stuff like that.

Edited by Madmaz116

Lobbies list needed, I can't believe you cannot go online and choose a discipline that you want to play.  

You cannot choose to just race open wheel or touring cars or tuner Etc.  

I was hoping that you could set up touring car lobby but..... not for just friends only or invites only ( open to public). 

I don't want to just keep having random races across multi discipline. 

Apart from this flaw, the game awesome. 

• Agree 7

Posted (edited)

Multiplayer needs much development, what Autosport has is just fine, this is a big backwards step.

A list of lobbies and if possible text chat would turn the game around and heading towards the most important aspect this franchise aims for - community interaction.

Edited by Sir.Smoke
  • Like 1
  • Agree 8

Agree with smoke, there is a lot missing from multiplayer atm and its a shame there is no tuning but I also see racenet there that does nothing so I'm thinking there is a lot to come via updates soon, sort of a release small and iron out bugs first before expanding the features.  shows a lot of promise though!

• Agree 3

We need custom PUBLIC lobbies (just like a private lobby except everyone can join off of a searchable screen).  Codies have had these in every GRID and DiRT game in the past as far as I can recall.  Without custom public lobbies this game will die quickly.  Fix asap!!!  Also, add option to have NO AI in online game.  And add a label to your lobby so players know what races you are running.  This is day one stuff guys.  And you know it.  Thanks!  

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

24 minutes ago, babaluk said:

We need custom PUBLIC lobbies (just like a private lobby except everyone can join off of a searchable screen).  Codies have had these in every GRID and DiRT game in the past as far as I can recall.  Without custom public lobbies this game will die quickly.  Fix asap!!!  Also, add option to have NO AI in online game.  And add a label to your lobby so players know what races you are running.  This is day one stuff guys.  And you know it.  Thanks!  

Exactly i would suggest to do it before or on official release of the game (11t/10)

• Agree 3

Like I expected the multiplayer is so disappointing.

Only quick match and private match.   REALLY??????????

Also in private match you need to setup the lobbie after every 5 races again.

You guys at codemasters really don't have a clue what the original Grid online made such a fun do ya?

well we told ya a hunderd of times and you won't listen.

Good luck with your money grab

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

First go at multiplayer as a group and very frustrated.

4 of us racing,  2 get a head start and at the end the person crossing the line first comes 2nd in ranking, happens nearly every race with one of the hosters.

Levels of lag far higher for our connection limited player than in autosport.

4/5 of us normally race together, we want to race together, in autosport we would be able to join a session as a group or set up a private set of races that were open for others to join.  what gave autosport such staying power for us was the fact that people like sir.smoke would join our races, cant do either with what we have.

I'm sure these issues will be addressed but its frustrating that it seems to be a massive step back from autosport and effort been placed in skirmish instead.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 3

Why are there AI players filling up the grid? This ruins the game for me totally. I got it yesterday, played a few online races and quit. I won't be playing again until you get rid of AI cars online. No other GRID game had these as default. I hope I haven't wasted my money.

• Agree 8

the online sucks no costum lobbys ai shouldent be there and i cant choose a game mode the flashbacks dont realy work like in campain they used to work online aswel it gets boring prity quick the way it is cars dont get dmg as quick and the dmg afther a crash on your weels dosnt effect the mobility i realy miss the fun part from the old grid where if u got tired of raceing u could go driftig or do demo derby to Just have some fun this game is missing so mutch compared to the old grid series 😐

• Like 1

ideally you want to be able to race how you want with friends. so give this option. you want to be able to choose anything in the game and do it. also in dirt games you have a option of turning off ai in lobbies. so its only humans. this would be more ideal. as most people just want to play with friends or just a friend and race each other.

It would be nice if we had team races so u could race with a friend in your team online, coop would be nice to unlock aswel afther completing the camaign so u could play it with a friend 

• Like 1

I don't get it, why you didn't make multiplayer at least same as in GRID 2 for the start plus some add features. I've played 114 hours in GRID 2 due to fun multiplayer leveling and opportunity to buy different cars for gold that I've earned.  Now I pre-ordered GRID 2019 and was completely disappointing what a poor multiplayer it has in current state(AI, no progression, no Hardcore mode, etc). I didn't go refund only because I respect Codemasters for previous outstanding games that gave me a lot of fun hours since my childhood when I was playing TOCA series on PS1.  

• Agree 3