Motorsport Games, Codemasters and FIA World Rallycross Championship presented by Monster Energy partner to create the World RX Esports Invitational Read more... ×

GRID Essentials - Multiplayer Details

Sorry Codemasters but multiplayer is extremely disappointing.... 

Why are AI in quickmatch?

Why is there no online system like in Grid Autosport?

Why are custom lobbys Friends or Invite only?  Why is there no option that allows anyone to join?

This is a huge step backwards.  Words fail me tbh.  £75 wasted.

• Agree 8

Very bad multiplayer ...

Grid(2008)

- global leaderboard

Grid 2

- global leaderboard

- 9 global challenge/week

- rivals

Grid Autosport

- global leaderboard

- 6 racenet event/week

- cars XP level

- global Team leaderboard

and Grid (2019) ?

- no leaderboard

- no event

- no rival

- no Team

- only quick and private match ...

Why ?? For what reason ?? Multiplayer it Dead ...

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 11

7 hours ago, Sergib said:

Very bad multiplayer ...

Grid(2008)

- global leaderboard

Grid 2

- global leaderboard

- 9 global challenge/week

- rivals

Grid Autosport

- global leaderboard

- 6 racenet event/week

- cars XP level

- global Team leaderboard

and Grid (2019) ?

- no leaderboard

- no event

- no rival

- no Team

- only quick and private match ...

Why ?? For what reason ?? Multiplayer it Dead ...

This is bang on. Why no leaderboards. Maybe they have 2 many cars for leaderboards a you would need a separate leader board. Such a shame it’s the reason I bought the game. AI in online races is horrible and sad. Surely there is enough live players ... or is there.... They should pick certain Cars and have say 5-10 different leader boards (Time Trail and in race times for both) Come on mods!!!

7 hours ago, Sergib said:

• Agree 1

Multiplayer does not work on Xbox.  Could be only about 10 people were suckers enough like myself to buy the game. Dunno. Anyways, it never connects me.  Stay away from this one. It's definitely not living up to about any expectations. 

The original Grid was so bloody good in multiplayer and I spent so long on that. After 4 hours racing multiplayer on Grid 2019 I can't see how this is going to survive!

The quick race option is absolute garbage. AI cars and maybe 3 real people!!!!! For a brand new game, if the lobby can't be filled already then there is no hope. It's the only reason I bought the game too 😞 How sad that after all this time Codemasters trash their new game.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 6

4 hours ago, TimothyAlexBit said:

SOS!! THIS GAME IS ALREADY DYING, FIRST WEEK INTO RELEASE!

gh2lyc4csvs31.png

What platform?  Link?  Curious.

10 minutes ago, cpcdem said:

Got it.  PC stats.  I'd be interested to see the Xbox and PS4 stats.  Is this only the players "online" racing or any player playing the game, single player included for PC?  

CM had a huge opportunity with GRID to go cross platform and provide a multiplayer experience that had at least all the options that were presented in GRID2 and GRID Autosport (custom lobbies, choose car class, track, etc).  Instead the game only has one public mode.  Quickmatch with ai.  No one wants this.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, babaluk said:

Got it.  PC stats.  I'd be interested to see the Xbox and PS4 stats.  Is this only the players "online" racing or any player playing the game, single player included for PC?  

CM had a huge opportunity with GRID to go cross platform and provide a multiplayer experience that had at least all the options that were presented in GRID2 and GRID Autosport (custom lobbies, choose car class, track, etc).  Instead the game only has one public mode.  Quickmatch with ai.  No one wants this.

Yeah, I do not understand it either. Only reasonable explanation I can think of is that they run out of time. Not for cross platform (this would require A LOT of effort), but to at least support what previous games already had...

About the PC stats, that's the total, not for multiplayer only. I do not know how much accurate it is. And obviously does not count players who play the game while not being logged in on Steam, but assume that's a very small percentage anyway.

4 minutes ago, cpcdem said:

Yeah, I do not understand it either. Only reasonable explanation I can think of is that they run out of time. Not for cross platform (this would require A LOT of effort), but to at least support what previous games already had...

About the PC stats, that's the total, not for multiplayer only. I do not know how much accurate it is. And obviously does not count players who play the game while not being logged in on Steam, but assume that's a very small percentage anyway.

I would definitely theorize that CM decided to step on the gas and hit the forza window once they realized there would be no forza this year.  They had to at least hit the market by October due to the upcoming NFS title.  And it is highly likely that multiplayer gaming is not as important as single player so the lobby options didnt materialize.  It would be very helpful for all involved (players, potential customers and devs) if cm would openly discuss plans for immediate fixes such as removing ai from quickmatch or possibly establishing custom public lobbies and a car class playlist system.   To be completely honest I would have rather seen this game take another 6 months and come out with proper multiplayer.   It likely would have sold more copies (even without cross platform) and kept more player base.  

• Agree 6

7 hours ago, babaluk said:

I would definitely theorize that CM decided to step on the gas and hit the forza window once they realized there would be no forza this year.  They had to at least hit the market by October due to the upcoming NFS title.  And it is highly likely that multiplayer gaming is not as important as single player so the lobby options didnt materialize.  It would be very helpful for all involved (players, potential customers and devs) if cm would openly discuss plans for immediate fixes such as removing ai from quickmatch or possibly establishing custom public lobbies and a car class playlist system.   To be completely honest I would have rather seen this game take another 6 months and come out with proper multiplayer.   It likely would have sold more copies (even without cross platform) and kept more player base.  

Agreed. but it is not only multiplayer, it is also single player that is so empty. Career is even emptier than in GAS, not even an introductory message, just a set of championships in which you can't even adjust duration. There's not even a "Congrats" message when you win, advance through the championships, unlock new ones, absolutely nothing! There are no community events, no dedicated time trial, no practice before races, can't believe it was designed this way, I am pretty sure it wasn't.

Maybe you are absolutely right about the deadlines they wanted to catch, that makes sense. Also maybe there is hope for a quick improvement, I hope they were already implementing before release a lot additional features, but didn't manage to finish them in time. If they finish them and release them in a month or so, maybe the game can survive and we will be all happy, better late than never. But if they did design it to be lacking so much, then this is really disappointing...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

game is lacking, multiplayer especially - lack of lobbies, etc.... why? unless this gets updated the game will not last... original grids were great. 

• Agree 1

Has anyone ever heard somebody use voice in multiplayer? On console or PC?

I play on PC/Steam, so far I have not heard a single person talk, not even leave their mic on by accident (sometimes happens in GRID 2), I'm not even sure if it's working (but I've never tried using ingame voice myself, but I set it to ON). The few people I've chatted with so far tell me the same thing.

Edited by imbbs

Is it me or is the AI in multiplayer overly agressive and drives on rails ? Any little contact and i spun with the Ford GT40 lost 5 places while the AI car that hit me continued driving without any issue -.- 

Alt+F4 is how i ended my first multiplayer race...

What an "experience" lol

Edited by Ak1504
  • Agree 3

12 hours ago, Ak1504 said:

Is it me or is the AI in multiplayer overly agressive and drives on rails ? Any little contact and i spun with the Ford GT40 lost 5 places while the AI car that hit me continued driving with any issue -.- 

Not exclusive to multiplayer, can report the same happens in single-player. The AI cars are unfair to race against, and when they do spin out (mostly scripted) they will go on and set the fastest laps of the race (+- 3 seconds faster) in last position.

Edited by RipHawk
  • Agree 1

I'm hosting a GRID Championship later today on multiplayer. I'm level 41 but my friends are lower level. I have unlocked many more cars then they have so are they limited to using what they've unlocked in career or will they be able to use my car roster? Many thanks. 

On 11/16/2019 at 9:35 AM, MazVanB said:

I'm hosting a GRID Championship later today on multiplayer. I'm level 41 but my friends are lower level. I have unlocked many more cars then they have so are they limited to using what they've unlocked in career or will they be able to use my car roster? Many thanks. 

Every Class has a Loan Car that players can use, even if they haven't bought any of the cars in said Class.

You earn fewer rewards from driving it, and cannot customise it, but if you just want to get on the road without buying a car, that's a way to go.

In short, host whatever Classes you want, people can still play 🙂 

16 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Every Class has a Loan Car that players can use, even if they haven't bought any of the cars in said Class.

You earn fewer rewards from driving it, and cannot customise it, but if you just want to get on the road without buying a car, that's a way to go.

In short, host whatever Classes you want, people can still play 🙂 

Cheers. It worked out ok with loan cars 🙂👍

Edited by MazVanB