DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Codemasters says the Steam version supports Oculus while this is untrue ?

Codemasters advertises Dirt Rally 2.0 on Steam as supporting the Oculus Rift. We all know this is untrue, the Steam version works horribly on the Oculus Rift. 

Now I wonder isnt it totally illegal to advertise a product having features that it does not have ?

I would love to hear your response about this @PJTierney

Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 11.52.51 AM.png

Doesn't the game still technically run on Oculus, so in terms of support, there technically is one, so it most likely is not illegal at least?

It's supported via OpenVR, so whilst it's not the ideal of Occulus SDK support it is still correct to say that it is "supported" in this instance.

6 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Doesn't the game still technically run on Oculus, so in terms of support, there technically is one, so it most likely is not illegal at least?

No you are very wrong. That section of the Steam page is the one where the producer advertises the supported platforms. Supported platform means the game runs in the same way on all the listed ones. Moreover using the Oculus SDK is basically mandatory in order to have a game running well with the Oculus Rift. The Steam version uses Steam VR (OpenVR) only and therefore it DOES NOT support the Oculus Rift. 

Conclusion: 

Codemasters does this intentionally (and unlawfully) making false advertisements. Which are broadly known to be illegal.

4 minutes ago, Malling said:

It's supported via OpenVR, so whilst it's not the ideal of Occulus SDK support it is still correct to say that it is "supported" in this instance.

Ah yes ? Have you tried playing on a Oculus Rift with the Steam version ? I guess you did not cause otherwise you would know exactly what I am talking about.

27 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

Supported platform means the game runs in the same way on all the listed ones.

Where does it specify this? For example with OSes publishers say it's a supported platform even though performance can be up to 50% lower than on Windows.

2 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Where does it specify this? For example with OSes publishers say it's a supported platform even though performance can be up to 50% lower than on Windows.

And do you think this is fine ? Isn't it something the customers should have the right to know before paying ? I dont get if we are on the same side here. Basically you are saying it is good and fair to fool the customers and rip their money off correct ?

Just now, koog2003 said:

And do you think this is fine ? Isn't it something the customers should have the right to know before paying ? I dont get if we are on the same side here. Basically you are saying it is good and fair to fool the customers and rip their money off correct ?

Well the Linux gamers do think it's fine that they get a game even though it has a lower performance... It's not fooling anyone...?

Just now, UP100 said:

Well the Linux gamers do think it's fine that they get a game even though it has a lower performance... It's not fooling anyone...?

This is madness. Are you working for Codemasters or what ?

1 minute ago, koog2003 said:

This is madness. Are you working for Codemasters or what ?

No? Most linux gamers accept lower performance because they rather have the game instead of not having it.

5 minutes ago, UP100 said:

No? Most linux gamers accept lower performance because they rather have the game instead of not having it.

So according to your way of thinking people should not complain about having a game that stutters all the time and makes you sick within seconds just because they did not add (intentionally) Oculus SDK support to the Steam version while keeping the HMD listed as "supported" with the sole purpose of ripping customers money off.

I am wondering if you are doing this on purpose. We say "There is no worst deaf man than the one that does want to listen". You are perfectly fitting with this case.

I dont know what to answer you .. I am totally speechless frankly.

Just now, koog2003 said:

So according to your way of thinking people should not complain about having a game that stutters all the time and makes you sick within seconds just because they did not add (intentionally) Oculus SDK support to the Steam version while keeping the HMD listed as "supported" with the sole purpose of ripping customers money off.

I am wondering if you are doing this on purpose. We say "There is no worst deaf man than the one that does want to listen". You are perfectly fitting with this case.

I dont know what to answer you .. I am totally speechless frankly.

I didn't say that? Just stop guessing what I think. The only thing I asked you about was the fact that do you have any proof that something you support has to have the same performance as another one? As in terms of OS ports, that is not true.

Just check my 2nd comment in this thread...

I give up. Could you please make me and the other Oculus users a nice favor ? Please avoid fighting against us and our customers rights. It would be really appreciated if there could be only constructive comments here that could help supporting our very rightful cause. Defending the awful "policy" of Codemasters is like denying the holocaust. Same thing. 

@Malling why are u doing this ? You seriously dont think I am right ? You think the current situation is normal ?

- Oculus Users that bought the game on Steam cannot play cause it runs horribly and makes them sick. 
- Oculus Users that bought the game on Oculus Home cannot have the DLCs and cannot compete in the world series. 

Please tell me that I am wrong and argument your answer.

To take an example from the store page: both the NVIDIA GTX650Ti and GTX 1070 are supported, but of course the performance is going to be better on the 1070. By your logic maybe the 650Ti owners should all rage against CM and claim that it's illegal to claim that it supports the 650Ti when it runs worse than on a 1070? 🤔

On another note, why do some users think that having a "disagree" reaction may as well be a declaration of war? The moment I disagree with someone because I have a different opinion they seem to instantly jump up my a** with an angry reply and/or PM. I call it an unnessecary overreaction 👎

1 minute ago, Malling said:

To take an example from the store page: both the NVIDIA GTX650Ti and GTX 1070 are supported, but of course the performance is going to be better on the 1070. By your logic maybe the 650Ti owners should all rage against CM and claim that it's illegal to claim that it supports the 650Ti when it runs worse than on a 1070? 🤔

What does this have anything to do with the Oculus users ? Look man I am not the only one outraged because of the situation. There are thousands and thousands of people in the same situation that are VERY angry because they had been ripped off their money. It is insane you keep on defending this policy that screwed up so many people that are exactly like you. It is very offensive in regards of the other gamers. 

If you look carefully, I'm not explicitly defending the policy. I'm just;

a) Stating that - legally - it is correct to say that Occulus is supported because it is via OpenVR (but I do accept that this isn't the best form of support)
b) Disagreeing with comparing this situation to the holocaust, which is a truly horrific event which claimed many, many lives. Many thousand dollars may be wasted here but it's a million billion times better than remorseless homicide.
c) Disagreeing with your opinion that just because I disagree with you, that I'm explicitly defending the policy and offending thousands of gamers.

6 minutes ago, Malling said:

If you look carefully, I'm not explicitly defending the policy. I'm just;

a) Stating that - legally - it is correct to say that Occulus is supported because it is via OpenVR (but I do accept that this isn't the best form of support)
b) Disagreeing with comparing this situation to the holocaust, which is a truly horrific event which claimed many, many lives. Many thousand dollars may be wasted here but it's a million billion times better than remorseless homicide.
c) Disagreeing with your opinion that just because I disagree with you, that I'm explicitly defending the policy and offending thousands of gamers.

a) I sell you a Ferrari that should run at 300 kmh but it goes only 150 kmh. I did not inform you upfront. You buy it and you have to stick with it without complaints. It is the same situation. 
b) It was just an example of course killing 6 million people cannot be compared to stealing some tens of thousands euros. Still thousands of euros stolen is not a nice thing. Is it ? 
c) You dont have an Oculus and you dont know how frustrating this feels. You have your Steam version running perfectly fine on your HTC Vive so everybody has to be happy like you are isnt it ?

Possible you dont get it really ?

5 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

I sell you a Ferrari that should run at 300 kmh but it goes only 150 kmh. I did not inform you upfront.

Actually a pretty good comparison, I'll give you that.

So it would be sensible to amend the product description to say that support is given via OpenVR and performance may not be as good as it would be via Occulus SDK, which the game does not have. It is still correct to say that the game does have "support", just not "the best support".

Defending the awful "policy" of Codemasters is like denying the holocaust. Same thing.

It's not really though is it. 

I dont like the performance on oculus and wont play until they fix it - if they fix it. But you asked if its illegal to advertise a game with features that it doesnt have and when users tell you why they dont think CM have made anything illegal you get upset.

43 minutes ago, somethingthing said:

I dont like the performance on oculus and wont play until they fix it - if they fix it. But you asked if its illegal to advertise a game with features that it doesnt have and when users tell you why they dont think CM have made anything illegal you get upset.

Agreed. It was more motivated by being very angry with Codemasters and their absurd way of working. I feel insulted by being ignored (together with other thousands customers) by Codemasters. 
Not an information, not a date, nothing. Pay and STFU this is the policy. If you allow me this is NOT a professional way to make business I hope you agree with that. It is totally not honest and not professional. 
Above all WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS TO US ?