Sign in to follow this  

Why Codemasters says the Steam version supports Oculus while this is untrue ?

@Mike Dee would you be so kind to please explain the reason of your thumb down ? Or you are just a random troll having fun ?

1 hour ago, koog2003 said:

@Mike Dee would you be so kind to please explain the reason of your thumb down ? Or you are just a random troll having fun ?

I can't speak for Mike, but mine is you saying "I'm speechless" in a post 4 hours ago, and then writing 8 posts between then and now, one of which compares Codemasters' claim of Oculus support to the Holocaust. I suggest you go do some reading and gather some perspective if you want your points to be taken seriously (and I'm not saying your original point doesn't have some validity, although it's hardly black and white).

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, RodgerDavies said:

I can't speak for Mike, but mine is you saying "I'm speechless" in a post 4 hours ago, and then writing 8 posts between then and now, one of which compares Codemasters' claim of Oculus support to the Holocaust. I suggest you go do some reading and gather some perspective if you want your points to be taken seriously (and I'm not saying your original point doesn't have some validity, although it's hardly black and white).

Whatever man really. Who the hell cares about the syntax of my posts ? Are you dumb or what ? What matters is the scam that Walletmasters did to its customers. 
You see ? You have your VIVE working perfectly with the Steam version and you dont have a minimum of consideration for the thousands of Oculus users that had been literally robbed. How selfish are u ? What is the point in denigrating my posts instead of helping the other users to get what you already had for the same price ? Why are you doing this ? Get a life seriously you are not helping at all !

Edited by koog2003
  • Disagree 1

@koog2003 It's definitely not illegal.  The Oculus is supported, it runs, it has issues, Codemasters is working with customers to provide solutions to improve performance and reduce issues, Codemasters is also making larger plans to possibly support Oculus via a native SDK.   You wouldn't win anything in court against them, except a personal refund if you wanted it.

• Like 4

@bn880

Codemasters is NOT doing anything of what you have listed. Nothing at all. It does not answer questions, it does not give an ETA, it does not give news or updates of any kind. 

What are you blathering about ? All things you said are not officially confirmed and possibly not coming. Ever. 

Now if u have a proper source of information that is not coming from Pjwhatever, which does nothing but ignoring people and giving false hopes, please share it.

Edited by koog2003
  • Like 1
  • Disagree 2

Just now, koog2003 said:

@bn880

Codemasters is NOT doing anything of what you have listed. Nothing at all. It does not answer questions, it does not give an ETA, it does not give news or updates of any kind. 

What are you blathering about ? All things you said are not officially confirmed and possibly not coming. Ever. 

Now if u have a proper source of information that is not coming from Pjwhatever, which does nothing but ignoring people and giving false hopes, please share it.

Yes they are, the proof is all over this forum. Every single thing I have said is a fact.  You can carry on being un-informed or in denial now.   I don't have time to dig through evidence for you, but that's how it is.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bn880 said:

Yes they are, the proof is all over this forum. Every single thing I have said is a fact.  You can carry on being un-informed or in denial now.   I don't have time to dig through evidence for you, but that's how it is.

If for you proves are "at a later date" or "we are investigating" that is just ridiculous.

A fact is ETA, dates and official confirmations. There are NONE here but I give you the doubt link these "proves" please. 

Then I prove you I am Batman. Look I write it I AM BATMAN ...... so I proved it. 

Edited by koog2003

Just now, koog2003 said:

If for you proves are "at a later date" or "we are investigating" that is just ridiculous.

A fact is ETA, dates and official confirmations. There are NONE here but I give you the doubt link these "proves" please.

You just need to re-read my first post.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

Now if u have a proper source of information that is not coming from Pjwhatever

PJWhatever is your source as I'm the bridge between you guys and the wider team. 

Here's what we've said regarding Oculus SDK on Steam:

http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/08/the-dirt-roadbook-august-23-2019/

In addition to this, we are currently investigating what is required in terms of time and resources to implement Oculus SDK support into the Steam version of the game.

Adding Oculus SDK support to the Steam version is not a simple matter of flicking a switch, nor is it a case of copy/pasting code from the Oculus version. It’s also not something that can happen immediately or in a very short space of time. We’ll share more in the future once things progress.

Do we have a confirmed date for proposed updates? Not yet.

When we have more info, we'll share more.

As for the topic title: the Steam version supports Oculus headsets via OpenVR. Can performance be improved? Sure, and the team's working hard on that. But to say that it doesn't support Oculus is untrue.

I would like to advise people to treat each other with more respect when commenting on the forum. Debate is fine (welcomed even) however name-calling and arguing over syntax doesn't get us anywhere. Present your facts or opinions, justify them, and respect the fact that others may think differently to you 😉 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

@PJTierney thanks for your post and my apologies for the "whatever". I am sorry things reached this absurd level and people are so angry, but you have to admit that Codemasters made a huge huge mess here. It is not just me it is thousands of people here, on Steam forums, on Reddit and even on the Oculus forum that are furious with Codemasters. How is it possible that you had not been clear with the customers about supporting the Oculus users on Steam ? 

- You did not inform upfront that the Steam version would work very very bad with Oculus HMD. People bought it full of hopes and now they are screwed.
- You did not inform upfront the people that bought the game on Oculus Home that they would not get the DLCs and they could not compete in the world series.

I dont think me and the other thousands customers are crazy. I have never had to do something like that for any game I bought since I was a kid. 
It would have been enough just to inform your clients before they could possibly waste their money am I wrong @PJTierney ?

Edited by koog2003

3 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

@PJTierney thanks for your post and my apologies for the "whatever". I am sorry things reached this absurd level and people are so angry

Don't worry about it, people get emotional about things they care about 🙂 

As for the post-mortem, that's not something to really discuss on the forum. What iIcan say however is that we have had lots of discussions and feedback monitoring about VR performance on Steam and what to do about it, and I trust the people involved are working hard on it. When we are in a position to say more about what's happening in the future, we'll say so. Don't have much more than that, just sit tight and we'll see where we end up 🙂 

• Agree 1

I will @PJTierney I want to trust your words. I will sit and wait with my Oculus version for the DLCs to come. Otherwise I am willing to buy the Steam version too if I can have Oculus SDK and the DLCs. My problem, fortunately, is not the money. 

Let me be clear about the game itself. You have made a masterpiece. Dirt Rally 2.0 works absolutely amazingly on the Oculus Home. It is among one of the best games I have ever played in my entire life. I am very impressed. It is so much fun to play it.

I repeat I am willing to pay just give us the chance too. My "battle" against the windmills stops here I want to trust your words man. I will sit and wait. Hopefully I wont have to wait too long.

P.S. Just to be clear I did not buy the Steam version but the Oculus one straight. I did not waste any money personally but I feel a lot about the other fellow Oculus users. We want the DLCs so bad (paying for them of course) and it is also sad not to be able to compete in the world series which I really really would love to.

Edited by koog2003

4 hours ago, koog2003 said:

- Oculus Users that bought the game on Steam cannot play cause it runs horribly and makes them sick. 

It does not run 'horrible'. Apart from the start were I have stuttering when moving my head it works decent. It zhould be better that is true.

i5, ti1070, settings on medium

8 minutes ago, Janneman60 said:

It does not run 'horrible'. Apart from the start were I have stuttering when moving my head it works decent. It zhould be better that is true.

i5, ti1070, settings on medium

i7-8700k, GTX1080ti settings on Ultra, Multisampling 8x and AA at 16. Works absolutely smooth with everything maxed out on the Oculus Home version. But it lacks DLCs and world series 😞 

I would not call it "working" if I would have to halve my settings just to make it run "acceptably". 

Edited by koog2003

Guys, let's give the OP a justice.

The fact something runs in some environment doesn't mean it's supported. DR1 is running on Vive (thanks to ReVive) but never was supported by CM.

Let me use Unix mentioned in previous posts to give you an another example. A lot of professional software written to work under Windows can be run under wine. But I've never seen a company which  officially supports their windows app running in other environment than dedicated one. You can get some help, usually on community forum, but there is no official support like in case of the software running in operating system the SW is dedicated for.

More close example is ACC. Do you remember "No VR no buy fixed". Game was able to make use of VR but the user experience was really flawed to the extent, that "VR" mark has been removed from steam for official release, even if VR option was still available. Kunos just decide to not provide official support for mode which is not in pair with a user expectations.

@PJTierney has confirmed CM is doing analysis, maybe considering adding OculusSDK. But there is no info they already have started adding this feature or it will be added at all. Speaking about support, they (CM) cannot do anything about OR performance. Simply because their game is running in kind-of simulation mode. In this context is really hard to say something about a support. There would have been no OR in DR2 if SteamVR hadn't supported Oculus. So for people who invested in the game year ago due to promised VR having no chance to play it even today, it really looks like no supported feature.

I can feel with guys who bought DR2 in the past (prior to VR support added) and still buying the product which claims it supports Oculus, while in fact it runs in kind-off simulation mode providing sub-optimal performance. Actually this whole thing with Oculus Store version and SteamVR oculus support is serious fail IMO. Question is, is it intentional or some one just f*d up and what CM is going to do with this.

Vive user.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

@koog2003

Because you are making ridiculous claims and using hyperbole to try and sell your point. You are going through and disagreeing with literally anyone who doesn't support your view and are ignoring valid, sensible rebuttals to your point. No one is disagreeing the support on Steam is sub-par, but acting like it is even close to being "false advertising" or would hold up in any court as an "illegal" act is laughable at best. People cite sources refuting your claims and you immediately dismiss them because it doesn't fit your narrative. Learn to debate in good faith and you'll get a good faith discusssion in return.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

7 minutes ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

The fact something runs in some environment doesn't mean it's supported. DR1 is running on Vive (thanks to ReVive) but never was supported by CM.

Let me use Unix mentioned in previous posts to give you an another example. A lot of professional software written to work under Windows can be run under wine. But I've never seen a company which  officially supports their windows app running in other environment than dedicated one.

These two examples don't really work. The Oculus headset support in steam is official, but it's just not the Oculus SDK 🙂 

There are also games out there that just bundle themselves with Wine or so on. No Man's Sky for example have patched at least two Linux related issues, but they don't have a Linux version!

The Finnish Matriculation Examination also uses their "custom" version of Linux that has Windows only software running through wine.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, UP100 said:

These two examples don't really work. The Oculus headset support in steam is official, but it's just not the Oculus SDK

What does 'official' mean?
If you have a console you know that WRC8 will play in 30fps only. This is official. But if you buy a game which supports Oculus Rift, you are expecting the same performance than for Vive, until it's communicated opposite. If not - then it's false advertisement, because there is no word about limitations.

Since OR support through SteamVR is suboptimal in comparison to Oculus SDK, it should be clearly communicated. It's not like "DR2 supports OR". It's "SteamVR" which offers cross-support to OR (with limited performance)

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

@MaXyMsrpl there is nothing you can do to let @UP100 understand what you mean. He goes in one direction only. His. On top of it he does not listen to what the others say. You are wasting your time.

Edited by koog2003

Just now, MaXyMsrpl said:

What does 'official' mean?
If you have a console you know that WRC8 will play in 30fps only. This is official. But if you buy a game which supports Oculus Rift, you are expecting the same performance than for Vive, until it's communicated opposite. If not - then it's false advertisement, because there is no word about limitations.

Since OR support through SteamVR is suboptimal in comparison to Oculus SDK, it should be clearly communicated.

The support for the Oculus headset is official as it is listed so by Codemasters, and they have acknowledged its performance issues...? I guess? That'd be how I think about this.

I know I sound like broken record, but CM had acknowledged issues in physics of D4 but nothing has improved.
Simply, it's not enough.

Again: there are people who paid for VR more than year ago and still cannot enjoy it. Can you get it?
In addition to that, there were speculation, that CM2 will get native OR support first (similarly  to DR1). And CM didn't comment on it, probably knowing at that time this is not true. Sorry pal, but it's not fair play.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl
  • Like 1

So bottom line is, just because the performance is worse in the steam version it doesn't mean it's not supported, so saying that Codies lied is factually wrong. That's what people are trying to say. You have the right to complain about the performance difference, but you do not have the right to twist things and expect people to agree with you, so why not stick to the point you have instead of doing what you're criticising, that is saying things that are untrue? If you have a point you'll get all the support, but undifferentiated and unfounded nonsense makes it difficult for people and they start disagreeing with you. 

• Like 4

I'm not saying they are lying but communication about their product abilities/features is at least questionable.

It's not like in case of two gfx cards with different rendering power.
OR and VIVE, both provides comparable performance (OR even better a bit). This is common fact.
But CM published a game in which OR is significantly penalized, without saying the word about it. And please don't tell me they didn't knew.

• Like 1

I think we're going round in circles here.

As mentioned in previous post, we're working on improving VR performance on Steam, and when we have more info to share we'll do so 🙂 

If you want to leave more detailed feedback on performance, our VR feedback thread is the place to go 😎