AI driver performance really needs an update

Some AI drivers desperately need an update. It's been mentioned a couple of times but still haven't seen anything mentioned by devs that it's being looked into. With drivers able to change teams, it's far too obvious that some drivers need changes to match their real counterpart.

The most glaring example is the AI for Ricciardo. Well regarded as one of the strongest drivers on the grid, but in game he's one of the weakest. We've already seen he's as fast as both Vettel and Ricciardo but if they end up as teammates in the game, Ricciardo is massively slower. 

Hamilton should be the benchmark and the AI should be balanced around how they would perform against him if they are teammates. With that, I feel the following changes should be made:

Major buff: Ricciardo, no explanation needed. He should match Vettel and Verstappen, at the very least he should match Leclerc.

Buff: Sainz, Hulkenberg. Hulk is not much off Ricciardo so he should be buffed alongside him, but not as much to match how this season as gone. Sainz should be at a similar level to Hulk.

Slight Buff: Verstappen, Magnussen, Grosjean, Albon. Verstappen should be about the same as Vettel, and slightly off Hamilton. Both Haas drivers are too weak when teammates with other drivers. They should both be just a bit behind Hulk and Sainz. Albon should be brought to about level with Kvyat, who I think they've got well balanced. Norris may need a slight buff too to keep him close to Sainz.

Major nerf: Weber. I don't get why he has the strongest AI. He should be on the same level as Butler and both should only be at around Sainz/Hulk level at the very most.

Nerf: Perez, Gasly. Perez should be on the same level as Hulk and Sainz too, maybe slightly higher. Right now he's too fast with how the RP car is balanced. Gasly doesn't need an explanation. In game, he regularly beats Verstappen and we know how wrong that is! He should be on Magnussen, Grosjean level, slightly behind Kvyat and Albon.

Slight nerf: Vettel, Leclerc. They're both good relative to each other, but they should both be on the same level as Verstappen I think. Right now, they're the fastest AI if I remember correctly from the stats.

On a secondary note. Is there any chance of adding some drivers from previous games to the "sub bench" in career such as Ocon, Alonso, Wehrlein etc. It'll add a bit more variation to the driver changes and we've already seen Ocon confirmed for next season so it's not like it wouldn't make sense.

Can there be an update from a dev about this? It would help balance out career mode somewhat.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Weber and Butler should be strong in my opin. They are your rivals you come up with. Be so lame if they were slow. If you don't like them in the game you don't have to do the F2 in career.

6 hours ago, Wynterdust said:

Major nerf: Weber. I don't get why he has the strongest AI. He should be on the same level as Butler and both should only be at around Sainz/Hulk level at the very most.

Yeah, Weber is like the freak bionic love child of Shumacher and Senna.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 1henryw said:

Weber and Butler should be strong in my opin. They are your rivals you come up with. Be so lame if they were slow. If you don't like them in the game you don't have to do the F2 in career.

Maybe there's some way to scale it as season pass? IMO Butler is well balanced, the one off is Weber. 

I.E: Start a new career in Williams, Butler goes to TR and he will perform around Albon times and be in the end of the pack which seems logical, Weber goes to Alfa and is qualifying top 6 all the time and finishing top 4 with the 2nd worst car in R&D while Kimi is never ahead of P14-15....and we're talking about Kimi, not some rookie. 

Edited by Erudain
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, 1henryw said:

I'm very aware of that and I skip F2 as I just prefer having real drivers. However you cannot deny that Weber's AI is ridiculous. Butler is fine, competitive but not OP. Weber should be about the same as Butler. Not being able to dominate drivers like Verstappen, Raikkonen, Ricciardo in his first year.

Yeah you guys are maybe right, Weber does seem very strong. Just did Brazil yesterday and he qualified 4th in the Haas. looked back at his results and he started at AR and out-raced Raikkonnen at every single race b4 the Haas switch.

I'm almost certain they've given him Alonso's AI from pre-patch 2018. As far as I remember he was leagues better than all the others and they had to nerf him down to match Hamilton and Vettel.

Honestly at this point, if they want to be quick about updating the AI they could just swap some of them around. Like give Ricciardo Gasly's AI and give Gasly Ricciardo's. Would instantly make far more sense since Gasly currently matches Verstappen and Ricciardo is pretty low down.

Ricciardo <-> Gasly

Perez <-> Sainz (based off this season)

Weber <->.... I don't know, add Alonso to the game 😅 or Verstappen maybe? 

Think they should definitely look into adding more drivers to the transfer rotation. Maybe the 2019 F2 drivers (assuming it's still coming) if not drivers like Ocon, Wehrlein, Alonso, Vergne etc. From previous games.

Bottas needs to be toned down too. Clearly the #2 driver at Mercedes on talent.

I don't know, Bottas seems pretty well balanced in my opinion. From my experience he's definitely weaker than Hamilton but gets an occasional race where he's better which is pretty close to how it's been for real. I think he's one of the few that needs no changes at all. I think Bottas, Hamilton, Russell, Kvyat and Raikkonen are balanced the best compared to real life and don't really need changing. The rest I feel do need changes, some more so than others.

Edited by Wynterdust

Yup Weber has a steroid issue.. team mate is back of the grid struggling to hold on while Weber is smashing podiums 🤣 Anyway I don't do feeder anymore, found R&D Q&A back to normal so I can do the morale departments up again instead of just getting constant Weber Q&A!

Kubica also still kicks Russells butt! 🤣🤣 Why?!?! Hulk always beats Ric in quali and race, often quali by .3 to .8 of a second! Huge gaps! Should be other way around for both.

Frustrating you can't edit some of this stuff like you could on earlier games. Codemasters attempts at stopping modding make no sense when you can still edit all the car liveries and remove sponsors.