Jump to content Jump to content

Why not separating the MP component from the SP component in the game?

D4rio

Choice  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is better

• Keep the game as a single, comprehensive entity
    • Separate the MP component from the SP, make them standalone

Hi all,

I want to get straight to the point: I don't ever play career on any F1 game. For me, it's just wasted disk space (and money, see below).

The only thing I buy this game for is multiplayer.

Hence I came up with this idea: why don't CM just sell two different, standalone versions of the game? One for singleplayer and one for multiplayer only.

The base game would be the same, only with different features. So you can eventually buy both versions to obtain a full game like F1 2019 currently is.

I think this would greatly improve both the users experience and the sales figures because people would pay less to play whatever they actually want.

A good prices division imho would be like 40$ - Single player and 20$ - multiplayer (or maybe 35-25, but that is not my duty to figure it out).

This is just a thought and I'm wondering if there are more people like me who think this might be a good idea.

In theory it is an interesting concept, but in the practical world with marketing and budgets it wouldnt work I believe. Firstly they would have to develop both parts of the game at the same time in same studio for car and track consistency. Then at some stage they would have to split it up and sell 2 different products and market them accordingly so customers would not get confused. Marketing would turn the idea down because they would prefer to sell 1 'premium' product that has 'something for everyone' rather than 2 cheaper products. The original idea of the game is that everyone would play career until they got good and bored with ai then progress to online. Of course some people dont want to get good and just want to get online straight away but even then how would they practice at all or test a tune out without some kind of offline mode? So they'd want ai not empty tracks. People doing career would be unlikely to pay extra for an online mode once all the new game hype had died down. 

Basically, it's much easier to market and sell a game that everyone could play than 2 games. Unless say 2 different devs are involved, one for career and one for mp. Competition between the 2 to make a better product would be interesting without each of them invading the others market potential directly. 

If you had both though it would be weird with the cars and tracks being different! Interesting idea but like I said I don't think it would work in the real world. 

1 hour ago, sloppysmusic said:

Firstly they would have to develop both parts of the game at the same time in same studio for car and track consistency.

First of all, Thank you for your time.

The idea is to develop a single game like they already do, just with an added modularity. It would take very little effort programming-wise in my opinion. (A pretty easy solution would be to disable menu buttons and prevent the download of unnecessary game files and you're done).

Then at some stage they would have to split it up and sell 2 different products and market them accordingly so customers would not get confused. Marketing would turn the idea down because they would prefer to sell 1 'premium' product that has 'something for everyone' rather than 2 cheaper products.

Making a differentiation between "premium" and "cheaper" is the wrong concept, to begin with. Do you want a full game? Buy both parts. Do you want to play what you like? Buy the version that suits your tastes. There is no "premium" way of thinking here... also I'm not sure marketing would turn this idea down so easily because of that.

The original idea of the game is that everyone would play career until they got good and bored with ai then progress to online.

What about experienced players like me who don't need to practice with AI first? I'm not saying I'm the best player of the world, to be clear. All I need is a couple of laps in trial mode to get acquainted with the physics and handling each time a new title comes out.

Of course some people dont want to get good and just want to get online straight away but even then how would they practice at all or test a tune out without some kind of offline mode? So they'd want ai not empty tracks. People doing career would be unlikely to pay extra for an online mode once all the new game hype had died down. 

Again, time trial is more than enough. Tire deg and fuel loads can be easily learned on track, no need to play a whole career for that.

Basically, it's much easier to market and sell a game that everyone could play than 2 games. Unless say 2 different devs are involved, one for career and one for mp. Competition between the 2 to make a better product would be interesting without each of them invading the others market potential directly. 

I can't remember its name but there was a fairly famous game that was sold in 2 versions, either full or multiplayer only.

So this is nothing new, it has been done in the past and can be feasible and profitable on a marketing point of view.

Slowing down development, cutting the team in half, team members have to work on two different builds, make changes and fix bugs potentially two times.

I could see this work only if one of the version would be given to another studio, but Evo is basically banned from creating games on their own.

45 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Slowing down development, cutting the team in half, team members have to work on two different builds, make changes and fix bugs potentially two times

I wrote in my previous post why all this is not really necessary

You mention a famous other game, there have actually been hundreds probably, all the way from Unreal and Unreal tournament back in the day to Battlefield being split into career games and multiplayer games.... Kind of as even the multiplayer games usually had some tacked on basic career mode or always single player against BOTS (which is basically career or season mode in racing). 

Except these are fps shooters (except for war craft of course!), and usually have different maps for multiplayer better suited to tight close game play than huge single player levels. I'm ruling out the idea of a game being made solely for either offline career OR online only (with essential offline practice modes) except NOT with 2 different releases, offline and online. It's just too confusing for the customer and a pain for the dev to release basically 2 different games at the same time with essentially the same name. Imagine the number of returns for people not getting the right version. 

A single player only game could definitely use an online DLC several months after release that was fully tested and gave people the option of purchase especially if the dlc was standalone so people like yourself could just buy it alone if you wanted. 

You do humble mention that despite not being the world's best racer you only need 2 laps to warm up before going online with new cars and /or new tracks. That does actually sound like the worlds best racer actually! If everybody did that online racing would be chaotic with wrecks and crashes every lap. Oh wait... It already is! 

Not knocking the idea in principle but believe there is no chance of both online and offline games being released at once ever happening for way too many reasons.

6 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

Except these are fps shooters (except for war craft of course!), and usually have different maps for multiplayer better suited to tight close game play than huge single player levels.

That's right the game I mentioned was most likely an FPS. But doesn't change anything.

FPSes need different maps and overall content between MP and SP, racing games do not. So this is a nonproblem for me.

I'm ruling out the idea of a game being made solely for either offline career OR online only (with essential offline practice modes) except NOT with 2 different releases, offline and online.

Your idea is way worse than mine both on the programming and marketing side. What I'm trying to do is looking for solutions that tend to avoid all of that.

It's just too confusing for the customer and a pain for the dev to release basically 2 different games at the same time with essentially the same name. Imagine the number of returns for people not getting the right version. 

Luckily, there is a software called Steam that can take care of all of that. I don't see where this could be a problem for CM. You can refund a game before 2 hrs of playtime, it's more than enough to understand if the buyer made a mistake or not.

A single player only game could definitely use an online DLC several months after release that was fully tested and gave people the option of purchase especially if the dlc was standalone so people like yourself could just buy it alone if you wanted. 

This would be a "cure worse than the disease" situation. Sorry, but it makes no sense to me.

You do humble mention that despite not being the world's best racer you only need 2 laps to warm up before going online with new cars and /or new tracks. That does actually sound like the worlds best racer actually! 

I think you know that "a couple of laps" does not strictly mean 2 laps... did I really have to specify that? Come on...

I think the idea of Career with DLC car updates is good. 

Can't see why the base game can't be updated each year and whichever version you buy into you have an option of that year's front end / HUD or a universal HUD.

So you buy the base game with that year's cars. You can purchase the older cars as DLC (back to 2010), you can buy following year's cars as DLC. Thereby if you like the base game you can use it as a career mode host starting in the first season with the oldest cars progressing to the newest on each subsequent season. You would either decide you liked the new base game and buy it with it's new tweaks to career or updated front end / HUD....or not. 

Classics would probably be locked to that version of the career game. career game can only be played online with another career game player, not the MP game.

If you buy the MP game, you only get this year's version and a TT and GP mode. You can't buy DLC and you can't race different years.

1 hour ago, sloppysmusic said:

Of course if they did actually produce and market an mp focused game it would HAVE to actually have a varied and bug free online experience included. Currently they don't seem to have the interest or focus in making that happen. 

You are very correct sir 👍

Archived