Motorsport Games, Codemasters and FIA World Rallycross Championship presented by Monster Energy partner to create the World RX Esports Invitational Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

[F1 2019] - [PC] - Auto-Save and Save Game Issue w/solution

Hi!

I just bought the F1 2019 game yesterday, and came to a realization that I was not able to save any progress. Once I enter the game, the game just says that it cannot save itself, and to either retry or turn off the auto save. I would like to receive some assistance to this, as, otherwise, I find this game unplayable, because I want to play career mode and other things that require my preferences to be saved.

Thank you for reading.

Edited by UP100
Added solved prefix. If you encounter this issue again, you can remove the tag yourself by going to "edit topic".

Hi,

If on PC,  please check your saved game folder to see if you have an existing save file in there:

1. Browse to where Steam is installed, usually this will be C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam
  2. Browse to \userdata\xxxxxxxxx\928600 (where the x’s are your unique user ID)
  3. Check for profile saves in that location 

If there are no save files in there not, then check whether you have permissions to write to the drive where the game is installed.

If there is a save file, then it might be corrupt. To rectify this issue, please try the following:

1. Go into Steam offline mode 
  2. Delete the local save file
  3. Launch the game and start a new game - this will create a new save file
  4. Turn Steam back into online mode and choose to overwrite the cloud save when prompted by Steam.

If you are not on PC, then please let us know what platform you are on and send through a screenshot of the error message that you are seeing.

Thanks.

Thank you for responding!

Yeah, I am sorry to not mention, I am using the steam version of this game, PC, of course. I have files in that specific folder, which are indeed corrupted. Now when I enter the game, I get the message ''Corrupted save, data overwrite - are you sure you want to overwrite your save game?'' I deleted my save through the game first, then tried exiting, deleting my local save and entered again, but the same message appears, and nothing is saved.

As of now, this is how my folder looks.

6884f2ec43000552920fabb4d88ba61f.png

If the game is already identifying the saves as corrupt then this should all work fine - the above workaround is just for when the save is corrupt but not detected as being corrupt. Just follow the in-game message to create a new saved game. Alternatively, once you are at the main menu you can enter the "Game Options" menu at the bottom of the screen and select the "Delete All Save Data" option to wipe your save and start again.

That's what I did, and every time the game saves it is saying that it is corrupt. Once I log back in I cannot load that save.

Ok, I can't tell if your saves are all becoming  corrupt after your write to them, or whether there is still a corrupt save file lingering on your system. Can you try cleaning up the saves as described in my original post? Please note that saves will be stored in the following locations:

• If Steam cloud enabled: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\928600\remote
  • If Steam cloud disabled: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\928600\local\savegame

When deleting your local saves, ensure that you remove these from both the "remote" and "local" folders before rebooting in offline mode.

The files save on the remote folder, and not the local savegame one. I did as you said, now it is back to the ''SAVE FAILED'' box where they ask me to retry or turn off autosave.87eb4bd62a73f2c2ef3cfa2a00beba83.png

Hi! Auto save dosent work, When I start to play f1, game start like firstly, choose avatar ect.

game doest save anthing anyone know how to solve ?

Hi,

The above message suggests that you aren't able to create a save file at the required location, so try the following steps:

1. Create a new file (any file) in the following location to test write permissions: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\928600\remote
  2. Create a new file (any file) in the following location to test write permissions: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\928600\local\savegame
  3. Go into Steam offline mode 
  4. Delete the local save files (from both the local and remote file locations stated above)
  5. Delete your hardware settings file in case there is something odd in there: "...\Documents\My Games\<game_folder>\hardwaresettings\"
  6. Launch the game and proceed through the boot sequence and profile setup
  7. Check the local save file locations to check whether you have created a new save file.

Do I have to delete the files before or after I boot the game? Because, for the first launch I need to be online on Steam, otherwise it does not open the game.

Do I have to delete the files before or after I boot the game? Because, for the first launch I need to be online on Steam, otherwise it does not open the game.

Just a note that might be of interest. The most common reason for the corrupt save error messages are when there is a new patch installed that differs from the patch the game save was made with. You could try deleting the game and all save directories entirely, then reinstall the game and make sure all patches are applied before playing it. Then there is a better chance saving will work. If this doesn't work then sorry but it's worth a shot! 

23 hours ago, kārlis327 said:

Before. You don't have to be online to have access to the folders @Hoo has asked you to delete from.

Steam cloud will restore missing files from your save game folders when you go online. That's the point of cloud save.

But, it's also precisely WHY I don't use it any more. I can manage files on my PC with my own backup method (you can include the folder in File History for example), again I don't but I don't get that invested in what I save there. If I make any changes to anything I document them or I go with vanilla. 

I really don't know if I am stupid or not but this is what happens when I follow the instructions. The save files I noticed also never save on local folder, only on remote, even if I do turn off the steam cloud synchronization. 

7d536494b5c8f41dc169a2f3b9102ef7.png

This message typically shows up when trying to go into offline mode with uninstalled patches. If you're getting that message after having previously run the game, then it sounds like something might be wrong with your Steam installation. I would suggest reinstalling Steam and verifying your local game cache to see if that helps.

Hi both,

Please can you complete the below so we can try to re-create the issue:

A short description of the problem:

Platform you’re on (PS4, Xbox One, PC, Steam):

Game Version (Shown on the Start screen in the bottom left hand corner):

Game Mode, including if it was Single Player or Multiplayer (Time Trial, Career, Grand Prix, Custom Game etc):

What happened in the lead up to the problem?

If you get an error message, the exact wording of the error message you're receiving:

Any accessories you are using (wheel, pad, etc):

If you have any videos or screenshots, please share them. If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears:

Thanks for the quick response

I am playing on pc steam version with xbox controller

I am currently on patch 1.18.2

Everything work just fine but i cannot save my character and every time i start the game it wants me to create new one

I tried the tricks shown on this forum. To be exact: check if the folders are not checked only for read,  i tried deleting old saves and i am starting the game on direct x 11

This is the only thing that shows, and then it asks me if i want to continue without saving

It is kinda of a bummer that i am not able to play this wonderful game.

P.S. this happens also to dirt 4 and f1 2017 but i dont play the anymore (i played dirt 4 enough long time ago so it didnt bothered me back in the day)

f1error1.png.3081614a3ada3d21ba81034cfbf95bb4.png

Hi @LubošKukliš,

Silly question, do you have the needed hard drive space. Could you also check your Steam Cloud Synchronisation too? 

Also, does your Windows username have special characters in it at all? Just thinking of ways that the game save might not agree here.

Also make sure 'Controlled Folder Access' is not enabled in Windows 10 Defender Security Centre.

Settings|Update & Security|Windows Security|Virus & Threat Protection|Settings|Manage Settings|Controlled Folder Access|Manage Controlled Folder Access

@BarryBL pehaps CM might consider not using the 'My Documents' folder for game files. It's a bit C20, use the Steam folders instead.

Edited by steviejay69
wrong century lol

So i tried those things even reinstal steam and the game and still the same thing.

I'll try and reinstal the whole pc, wish me luck.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks for the response.

@hoo 

i've tried this but it didn't work and i have same problem. Can somebody help me ? i just bought it and i can't play.

Hi @LubošKukliš,

Long Shot, but just double check you connectivity settings. It should, in theory, be all fine if you are downloading fresh from Steam, but just in case.

Please let me know how you get on

• Agree 1