Sign in to follow this  

About engine mappings/tunings

How big a difference do these make to your car's performance and durability? I've bought some of them but not really sure. Clearly the difference is not as dramatic as in DR1 where non-upgraded cars were pitiful, but I'd like to know a bit more accurately.

I think it would be more useful to have the upgrades explained in some kind of understandable values, like increases power by X horsepower but increases engine wear rate by Y percent. A bar that says 3/4 performance doesn't really tell the player much

Durability? Negligible.

Performance? Huge, but has the most impact at certain "steps"

Basically my rule of thumb was always try and grab T2 engine upgrade ASAP if I unlocked it through daily events as it is immediately noticeable. If I was entering a championship with a fresh car, I'd normally aim to just grab T3 after the first event (+ dailies needed to get the final miles) and skip T2. Depending on how many upgrades were available for the car, after that I would skip T4 if it caps out at T5, or grab T4 if it goes to T6 while skipping T5 - this is just based of miles needed in my experience.

Every upgrade definitely gives you a nice performance gain, but in my experience getting a T3 made every tier of My Team up to Elite viable to Ace; with Masters being hard to win using only a T3 unless you are able to fight for WRs. You also get the biggest jump in performance early on compared to the default T1, at least IMO.

The 2nd last step never seems as big to me for most engines, because you've already got enough power normally to win. If you have credits to burn go ahead, but I don't think you gain much. You always have to grab the last tune though because then you are at the same pace as in Time Trials and if you do a lot of MP/TT you'll want the consistent feel for your cars across all game modes.

• Thanks 1

That is helpful info, but what I'm really looking for is detailed information about just how huge the performance difference is. Honestly it's baffling that something that important is not explained to players at all. A racing sim has a feature to change the horsepower of your car, but you don't know by how much.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 6:36 AM, HoksuHoo said:

That is helpful info, but what I'm really looking for is detailed information about just how huge the performance difference is. Honestly it's baffling that something that important is not explained to players at all. A racing sim has a feature to change the horsepower of your car, but you don't know by how much.

Yeah it'd be nice to see the actual HP change with each upgrade, but I've got a feeling we don't get that because a bunch of licenses were signed to use cars at exactly a certain spec. So showing less HP than the fully maxed out version might cause issues there - I don't know for sure but it's a guess. The performance bars are ok enough to get the general ideas though, but could be much better

11 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

Yeah it'd be nice to see the actual HP change with each upgrade, but I've got a feeling we don't get that because a bunch of licenses were signed to use cars at exactly a certain spec. So showing less HP than the fully maxed out version might cause issues there - I don't know for sure but it's a guess. The performance bars are ok enough to get the general ideas though, but could be much better

They don't use the cars at exactly a certain spec, the horsepower changes massively depending on your enginge upgrade, the game just does not say by how much. DR1 showed the exact values. The performance/durability bars give no indication as to how big the difference is between upgrades.

A related point is, maybe I'm missing something but I don't really see why the engine upgrade system exists in the first place. In DR1 I thought the game would have been better without it, and so far I'm inclined to think the same about DR2.0. You buy a car in career mode but initially get a severely weakened and under-powered version of that car,  driving the car for a while unlocks more horsepower. What is the point?

Edited by HoksuHoo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Whilst I agree that I'm not a fan of the engine upgrade system either, I'm also glad that they reduced the defecit of having a stock engine compared to DR1.

No longer do I have to suffer the fate of driving a WRC car with less power than my Vauxhall Adam!! 😛

• Haha 1

On 9/23/2019 at 11:50 AM, HoksuHoo said:

They don't use the cars at exactly a certain spec, the horsepower changes massively depending on your enginge upgrade, the game just does not say by how much. DR1 showed the exact values. The performance/durability bars give no indication as to how big the difference is between upgrades.

A related point is, maybe I'm missing something but I don't really see why the engine upgrade system exists in the first place. In DR1 I thought the game would have been better without it, and so far I'm inclined to think the same about DR2.0. You buy a car in career mode but initially get a severely weakened and under-powered version of that car,  driving the car for a while unlocks more horsepower. What is the point?

is true 

-in DR 1.0 you need play with the car to have it's normal performance ( motor , suspension , heavy ....)

- in DR 2.0  you have the normal car  directly  and for me the upgrade motor is the cheat    ,  test the same car  in my carrer  buy best motor  and after test the same car in normal mode ( historic race ... ) and clearly the 2 same car have no same performance .

in my carrer i buy only personalize  setup