Sign in to follow this  

What´s the point of setting the «Time control break» to «Off»??

As part of setting the game up as realistic as possible, I´ve all the assists set to «Off», including automatic breaking after passing the finishing line, thinking the game would punish me if I drive without care after finishing the stage.

After a really bad drive, I was so frusrated that I put the pedal to the metal and with a speed at 150 km/h I clipped the officer’s knees In the finishing area. The game just cut the scene, and my co-driver replied «That felt good! ...». And yes it did feel good, but still I was surprised that the game didn’t punish me in any way. The same thing happens if you just drive through and continue at full speed.

Also, driving passed the finishing seal will save time since you don’t have to watch the car driving slowly to reach the officer.

Is this by design? If you ask me, the driver should be penalized for reckless driving, and should at least get 1 minute added to the stage time, and clipping the knees on an officer even more penalty.

@PJTierney, could you shed some light on this?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

Driving like a maniac or hitting the time control personnel won't punish you, going off road between the finish and the TC will carry over the damage though. 

2 hours ago, bogani said:

Driving like a maniac or hitting the time control personnel won't punish you, going off road between the finish and the TC will carry over the damage though. 

That's the one. You should still be able to damage your car after Finish Line and Time Control braking helps mitigate that.

Sometimes I enjoy taking out my frustration by driving flat out into whatever ends my need to control the car as quickly as possible

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

thanx guys for the tip. For me it's frustrating when the game takes control over a car after finish. Now I know how to disable it 😄
However I appreciate how smart this feature it's done.

• Agree 1

personally, I think the fact that this, traction control, and abs are adjustable is brilliant

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, PJTierney said:

That's the one. You should still be able to damage your car after Finish Line and Time Control braking helps mitigate that.

So this is by design, then. If you drive through the finish area at full speed or do a clear hit on one of the officers, there will be no damage either. Not very realistic, if you ask me. So for the most authentic experience time control break should be set to on.

I also think rhe penalties for going off road is way too low. Changing a tyre gives you 30 seconds addition to stage time, but getting a car out of the bushes or in a tree takes a lot more time than changing a tyre. The penalty should be at least 1 minute, and not 4 seconds as it is now.

I wish the game would have encouraged more realistic driving skills.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ianism said:

personally, I think the fact that this, traction control, and abs are adjustable is brilliant

Absolutely, that’s not the problem. The problem is that you can drive like a maniac like it is Need for Speed or something, and I don’t think that is suitable for a game like Dirt Rally 2.0.

I know I keep comparing everything to that game, but do you remember Richard Burns Rally? When you hit a bystander on the highest difficulty you would see an animation of a rescue helicopter and... your rally would be over. 

I love the little things like the ability to control your car after the finish, but I agree that penalties should be more strict for those who want a hardcore experience. The thing is that bigger consequences make driving on the limit that more exciting.

It would also be cool if spectators actually avoided and run away from the cars. Like in WRC: Rally Evolved back on PS2. 

Edited by danielofifi
  • Agree 1

I'd like the option of being able to enable/disable hardcore penalties. As much as I've wanted the penalties to be more strict (4s recovery is a joke!), I also have my moments of just wanting to go a little bit nuts and, as mentioned before, wanting to take out my frustration at the end of the stage by driving into a reset trigger.

This happens because of the way the game is coded to end the stage in the time control area.

Basically the stage will end if you do anything in that area that will trigger a car reset.

So coming to a complete stop will trigger the stage to end because coming to a complete stop on the stage will trigger the icon asking if you want to reset the car.

Hitting a person in the time control area will trigger the stage to end because hitting a person on the stage will trigger a car reset.

Driving all the way to end of the time control area will trigger the stage to end because you've driven out of bounds, and driving out of bounds on the stage itself will trigger a car reset.

Personally i always knee-cap the officials at the end of the stage because it takes too long to come to a complete stop and then wait the few seconds for the stage to end.

• Thanks 1

Personally I enjoy this part between finish line and time control marshal. I cannot imagine why some might not. It's a time to breath out, really relaxing. I hated how it is solved in DR1.

BTW why all other modes except championships/challenges ends with slo-mo ending, with this noisy sound played back with lower speed ad lower sample frequency... It really sux

Edited by MaXyMsrpl
  • Agree 1

It's there to force you to actually consider how/where the finish line is located and if there is a severe corner just behind it. Without it(or like in TT) you don't have to consider this and will just have pedal to the metal across the finish because there will be no consequense. If you dont take this into consideration in career for instance, you migh end up as good ol' Burnsie in Finland, paying the consequenses.

If you want it to be "fully realistic", just slow the **** down when you drive over the finish. There is nothing realistic about going full throttle after the finish mowing down the time control personnel.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Kjell007 said:

Absolutely, that’s not the problem. The problem is that you can drive like a maniac like it is Need for Speed or something, and I don’t think that is suitable for a game like Dirt Rally 2.0.

sure, hardcore damage could be more punishing, and more stages could do with having a longer runoff section between the finish line and the time control point (where the marshals are standing) but you can drive like a maniac in every game, because they're games.

also, what @bogani said. if you want to do it realistically you should be slowing down before the finish line, but, again, it's a game, so most people don't

Edited by ianism
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bogani said:

It's there to force you to actually consider how/where the finish line is located and if there is a severe corner just behind it. Without it(or like in TT) you don't have to consider this and will just have pedal to the metal across the finish because there will be no consequense. If you dont take this into consideration in career for instance, you migh end up as good ol' Burnsie in Finland, paying the consequenses.

If you want it to be "fully realistic", just slow the **** down when you drive over the finish. There is nothing realistic about going full throttle after the finish mowing down the time control personnel.

Agreed, but I also think the game should punish you with penalties for doing things that would get you penalties if you did them mid-stage, such as running over marshals or driving out of bounds.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, bogani said:

It's there to force you to actually consider

are you answering my question?

I'm not sure 'cause I love to finish in realistic way. unfortunately in time attack it finishes stopping car in slo-motion in addition hurting my ears. 

I'm willing to slow down before finish line sacrificing my result time. But there is no option to disable this artificial stage ending

Btw I'm pretty confident I did ride all stages and I'm not aware about one which disallow me to slow down in safe way influencing my time somehow significantly. maybe I'm still going to slow

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

why not ,if your broken  car in finish line for next stage your car have same damage ( expect if you go in service area after the stage ) and for the marshal codemasters  need add  penality  if you touch the marshal , in dirt games you have penality when touch the spectator so why not for marshal too

I like to end the stage by driving as quickly and as closely as possible to the marshall *without* knee capping them - stopping with their legs mid bonnet. They stare into the car with a *** look on their face, which seems like a pretty realistic reaction...

personally, I quite enjoy skidding just past the marshal(s) to the far end of the runoff area to see what the other bits of stage (that we can't do) look like. as soon as you pass the end of the hoardings it ends as if you hit a marshal or spectator, though

Although I’ve played this game a lot, still playing, and it is one of my all time favourites, I think a game like this can barely be called a simulation since the game obviously doesn’t encourage realistic driving skills when using «realistic» settings:

(1) No penalties for hazardous driving after finishing line

(2) Only 4 seconds penalties when driving off road and into the bushes/trees/stones/ditch

(3) Extreme short cuts causing no penalties, see the world series thread

(4) CPU-players and AI way too fast in general

(5) Also seeing some of the videos with Jon Amstrong and other extremely good drivers, I don’t think the car behaves realisticly and actually it looks sometimes like fast forward. 

With all these facts present, the game encourages arcade style racing, rather than cautious driving and developing proper rally driving skills.

8 hours ago, Kjell007 said:

(5) Also seeing some of the videos with Jon Amstrong and other extremely good drivers, I don’t think the car behaves realisticly and actually it looks sometimes like fast forward.

Yup, one of the real rally drivers commented that if Poland was this fast in real life, it would be banned.

I too would like more emphasis on hardcore simulation.

• Agree 1

Remember that the chosen FoV can make things look sped up. Watch the first part of this clip. The camera FoV makes it look insanely much faster than what you would perceive it IRL. It basically looks 'arcade'. 

You also have to remember the inch-by-inch memorization of the stages and the infinite retries that are being given. All this sums up to absurd attacking of each corner to extract every single tenth. 

However, I do agree that if you watch the WR out there, you can probably push slightly too hard and still have the grip hold up a bit too much compared to IRL. It's not that big of a deal for us mere mortals, but the 'aliens' out there expose this. 

18 minutes ago, bogani said:

Remember that the chosen FoV can make things look sped up. Watch the first part of this clip. The camera FoV makes it look insanely much faster than what you would perceive it IRL. It basically looks 'arcade'. 

speed effect? your video shows straight lines and fast sectors is normal, is not arcade effect is only because the driver go fast  . with more technical turns (hairpin, square ....) there is no speed effect, all this plays with a good acceleration.

1 hour ago, gk9147 said:

speed effect? your video shows straight lines and fast sectors is normal, is not arcade effect is only because the driver go fast  . with more technical turns (hairpin, square ....) there is no speed effect, all this plays with a good acceleration.

Sigh. You clearly didn't understand a thing what I meant.

Its easy. The type of lens they use in my video example gives an increased perception of speed(same as a wide field of view setting in game will create). It 'looks' much faster than it really is. If they had a camera like in your video it wouldn't look anywhere near as fast. 

Edited by bogani