Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

WE WANT GRID 4! - Main Thread

Recommended Posts

If they make another one, then the endurance racing needs to be done right. The endurance category in Grid Autosport was fun, but all of the races were night races and were actually pretty short. Would love to see some daytime endurance racing as well along with proper endurance racing (6 hours, 12 hours etc.) and a return of Le Mans 24H is a must! This would only really work if you could change driver and have the AI take over when you needed a rest and have the ability to simulate the AI driver's shift so that you can get back into the action quicker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hello Codemasters,

Now that Dirt Rally was released on both consoles, your developers must work as a result of Grid Autosport.
Grid 2 was too much arcade and I have not found the magic Race Driver Ryan in Grid Autosport.
I hope that you are aware that we expect a game closer to the simulation of the arcade as you did for Dirt Rally and F1 2015 which AI is the best of the series.

In short, my dream is that you make a game like Toca 2 Touring Cars. Well Yes, it's old stuff, 1998, 18 years ago. Many young players were not even born. Well guys, this game was fabulous. The same level as Race Driver Grid but more in mind BTCC or WTCC.
Go to work and do not hesitate to make an inquiry to guide development.
Last important thing. Need to communicate more with us. For example, at this moment, you say nothing. It is not known what you are working on. Please is it you please. We want to be aware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm sure its not hard to bring GRID for next-gen consoles and PC. This was done with DiRT Rally so I don't see why they can't bring GRID for the PS4 and Xbox One, not just PC as long as its optimized. And interiors aren't a difficult task to do for many cars. And if they do, I'd like to see the following DLCs for the upcoming GRID, if Codemasters feel like doing so:

90's Pack:
-Jaguar XJ220
-Nissan R390 GT1 (Road and Race versions)
-Toyota Supra (stock version)
-Subaru Impreza WRX STi
-Honda Civic (sixth gen)
-Chevrolet Corvette C4
-Pagani Zonda
-Koenigsegg CC
-TVR Griffith 500
-Toyota GT-One
-Vector M12

GRID Legends Pack:
-Le Mans
-Milan
-Shibuya
-Yokohama Docks
-Nürburgring GP-Streckenlayout
-Miami
-Chevrolet Lacetti WTCC
-Saleen S7-R
-Toyota Supra (modified version)
-Chevrolet Camaro Mk. II
-Lamborghini Murciélago R-GT

New tracks that should be featured for the new GRID game:
-Los Angeles (Downtown and Greater Hollywood)
-Toronto
-Autodromo José Carlos Pace
-Shanghai (Songjian, Fengxian, Jinshan and International Circuit)
-Sochi Autodrom
-Moscow Raceway
-New York City
-Puerto Rico (Old San Juan)
-Daytona Speedway (Oval and GP)
-Suzuka Circuit
-Circuit de Catalunya
-Road Atlanta
-Fuji Speedway

As for the rest? Well, that's up for the main game. That is, if Codemasters can create it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I agree with OP's enthusiasm for a GRID sequel, in spite of disagreeing with many/most of his points.  When GRID was released it had plenty of problems and plenty of people who didn't like it.  Some didn't like the car handling or the physics, there weren't enough Touring Cars for some, many didn't like the graphics (especially the post processing), a bunch more hated the monetization, some thought the team mate feature was silly, many wanted car upgrades and tuning, some wanted a lot more customization, many wanted no fictional tracks, some wanted more DLC, some wanted none . . .

Some loved all those things.  Point being there never was a perfect racing game, sim or arcade, but this particular imperfect immersive arcade racing game hit the sweet spot for many of us GRID fans.  I still love GRID and play it when I can.  It's been on whatever HDD I'm using since the summer of 2008.  I have a bunch of racing games I don't play, GRID is the one I continue to play, always in the career game, always with a keyboard.  Still without the promised DLC that the consoles got but never showed up for PC.

We waited five years for a sequel.  Then we got something that never should have worn the GRID name: GRIDsupposed2.  Some people actually like GRID2, but it's nowhere near the quality and combination of features that GRID has - except for graphics.  But trying to make everyone happy Codies just disappointed a lot of that long term GRID fan base.  And they should have named it something else.  I haven't played GAS although I own it.  It seems to be tainted by G2.  That's not fair, but that's the way it is.

I think a true sequel to GRID, basically an updated remake with a few more cars and tracks would be great.  No tuning, no . . . etc.  But it ain't gonna happen.  Too many people would be turned off by the post processing, . . . etc, etc.  So if Codies do make another GRID, it won't be that GRID.  It'll be something else wearing the T-shirt.  I've got three GRID DVDs, I'm keeping all of them and
they'll never be on Steam.

Frank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RubyRuby said:
Still without the promised DLC that the consoles got but never showed up for PC.
Hey Frank long time no see, the DLC's DIID actually arrive on PC but unofficially, if memory serves me correctly when Grid 1 went out on MAC it had all the DLC files, someone tried to copy and paste them into a windows copy of the game and it worked. Bathurst in the Vovlo C30 STCC......

https://youtu.be/7eRABii0aOE

I think I still have the mods somewhere.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Okay, I'm convinced.  I really need to spend more time in the single player outside the career.  Thanks Rastus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RubyRuby said: I haven't played GAS although I own it.  It seems to be tainted by G2.  That's not fair, but that's the way it is.
I played Grid 1 on my PC, and it was the best racing game I ever played, although I haven't played many. I was never a huge racing game fan, until I bought Grid on PC back in the day. I played it until my hard drive failed from from overheating. I don't really have a good gaming computer, so I stick to console. I have Xbox 360 and Xbox one now. Before I got an Xbox one, I was looking to buy another racing game, and I looked at every racing game on the 360, Forza Horizon 1 and 2, Forza 4, etc... I didn't even think about getting Grid 2 because of the bad reviews, especially from Grid 1 fans. Then I found Autosport, which was supposedly closer to the original Grid. I bought about a year after it's release, so the online community on the 360 was pretty much empty, but I love the game. The only thing I didn't like about it at first was the aggressive A.I. and the penalty for going over white lines because half the time it was an A.I. driver who knocked me off the track. Once I learned how to play, it was a lot more fun, and I love the aggressive A.I now, it makes it more challenging. I haven't played many racers, but this game is definitely the most challenging racer I've ever played. I feel like the game is a perfect mix of sim and arcade. The driving mechanics don't feel too arcadey to me, but it's not a sim either, so it's a perfect game for me. I haven't bought a "next-gen" racing game on the Xbox one yet. I tried the Forza 6 demo, and it's good, but I actually prefer Autosport, but that could just be that I'm used to it. I got Grid 2 for free with Xbox live Games with Gold, I actually still had fun playing it, but it just doesn't compare to GRID and GRID Autosport. Drifting around corners is fun for a little bit, but it gets old, and it just feels too arcadey and fake, and I think GAS requires more skill and is a lot more challenging. I would recommend GAS to any GRID 1 fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That's encouraging.  I may have to give GAS a try yet, though Codies seem to have dropped support already.  At least once dev support ends you know that what you've got is it.  Unless one of those clever folks comes along and adds/improves stuff on the side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think the next game needs more content. The handling is pretty good in AS, but content feels lacking because you can only choose between ~3 cars per class. IMO the career mode shouldn't work like it does now. There should be 4 race types: standard, lap racing; endurance racing; time attack and drift.

There should be various championships for every race type. For example, the "standard racing" race type should have quite a few touring cars championships, as well as "street" championships, open wheel championships or even GT championships. Also it would be pretty nice to have street tracks for every car type, not only stock cars (and race tracks for those as well). Championships should only feature one car "tier", so no AS-like championships that start with a few hot hatch races then end up with coupé races. You should keep the same car from the beginning to the end of the championship. Maybe cars shouldn't only be classed in small classes but also have some kind of performance group, even though that would only be used for some "street" races, endurance races and time attacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Still playing the GRID2 campaign, not a big fan of GRID Autosport due to drifty simcade handling like NFS Shift games. In my opinion, that handling could have been exactly like the GRID1 handling was, if CM wanted that game to be more into simulation (simcade). So I still play GRID2 because I like that handling much more, yes it's fully arcade but it feels so good with Force Feedback (playing with steering wheel). The more I play GRID2, the more I want to play a new GRID game. So here is a list of things that are important to be in the next GRID game!

- OWN TEAM: we all liked that we could create our own team in GRID1, so this main feature is a must and has to be in the next GRID game, with gaining money to create the team, creating liveries, sponsors, getting a second car and choosing a new team mate.
- ATMOSPHERE: it has to be like GRID1 or 2, more cutscenes than GRID Autosport, no real life-filmed scenes like in GRID2 (didn't like it much)
- RACING SERIES: maybe like in GRID2, divided into America (street races, drag races, sprint races), Europe (GT races on racetracks, street races) and Asia (drift events like Yokohama or Battersea, night Touge)
- CUSTOMISATION: buying cars for every race series like GRID1 with customisation (optical tuning, performance tuning)
- CARS: more modern cars, more European (new Audi R8, new TT RS, BMW 235i, BMW M3, BMW M4, some Mercedes) more muscle cars (new Mustang, new Corvette C7, new Camaro) and more JDM (Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Mazda, Mitsubishi)
- TRACKS: tracks from GRID2 for American events (Chicago, San Francisco, ...) and  European events (Paris, Cote d'Azur, ...) but also some new GP tracks (Nürburgring, Silverstone, Barcelona, ...) and some Touge tracks that are really hard!

If these things are all in the next GRID game, it will be a very successfull game!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Still playing the GRID2 campaign, not a big fan of GRID Autosport due to drifty simcade handling like NFS Shift games.
Weird. Most people find the handling of those two games to be the exact opposite... GRID 2 is almost unplayably arcade-drifty for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I was gonna say the same thing lol. Grid 2 was drift to win pure arcade racing, Grid 1 was a halfway house as is GAS.
Grid 2 is way more like NFS Shift than GAS is. It's pure arcade gameplay and totally unrealistic, this was the reason 99% of the "Gridders" from the old days dumped it.
We'd been asking for a new Grid for years while CM produced Dirt 1,2 &3, asking for the same handling but better GFX, more cars, more tracks etc...

Instead we got Grid 2 and most of us hated it. GAS was a direct result of the roasting we gave CM in the last forums, even then GAS isn't perfect (by any stretch of the imagination) with Upgrades not doing anything at all to change car performance (CM admitted this and told us a fix was coming then they dumped all support and left us hanging in the breeze..... Not for the 1st time either... F1 online the game....... Dirt showdown........ etc

Thanks to CM's recent history of repeatedly taking our cash for a broken product and then refusing to fix it I'm not bothered if CM DO make a GAS 2, Grid 4 or whatever, I'll not be pre-ordering any GAS title without a demo I can try out 1st.

TBH I've been playing Forza Apex on PC and suspect the next full game Turn 10 put out will make GAS2/G4 a waste of time and money. Why?
As per recent CM games it'll have very few tracks or cars and I doubt it'll ever work as it should and then CM will dump any support for it like they have with the current game.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I was gonna say the same thing lol. Grid 2 was drift to win pure arcade racing, Grid 1 was a halfway house as is GAS.
Grid 2 is way more like NFS Shift than GAS is. It's pure arcade gameplay and totally unrealistic, this was the reason 99% of the "Gridders" from the old days dumped it.

Yes, but GRID2 didn't try to be more realistic as GAS did. But hey, it's only my opinion :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Codies did keep up support for G2 for quite awhile and made at least an attempt to restore some of the missing features from GRID.  Derby, and sort of a cockpit view.  But . . . it still isn't the sequel to GRID we had been waiting for.

CobraGamer's 12:03 post bears out my opinion that many GRID fans want too many contradictory features in a sequel for Codies to make one that won't disappoint big sectors of the fan base.  A major factor to me is GRID's simplicity.  It's Race Driver, and "It's all about the race."  It's about driving, not about engineering or tuning, not about customizing.  Racing games that provide all that detail are all over the place.  GRID is not one of them.  GRID dared to do less, by focusing on the race itself, and ended up doing more.  My opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well, the game is still being played to death by a whole bunch of regulars, and even some new playa's. Was talking to some new American friends earlier, and one of them remarked that, being able to play with people on the other side of the planet, and hold a conversation was amazing. I had to agree and add, that GAS has been the most influential in community connection for me (70% of my full steam friends list i met on GAS)
Not a brown nose, just a genuine, thank you very much, and keep up the good work. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cos said:
Well, the game is still being played to death by a whole bunch of regulars, and even some new playa's. Was talking to some new American friends earlier, and one of them remarked that, being able to play with people on the other side of the planet, and hold a conversation was amazing. I had to agree and add, that GAS has been the most influential in community connection for me (70% of my full steam friends list i met on GAS)
Not a brown nose, just a genuine, thank you very much, and keep up the good work. ;) 
I wish I had a gaming PC that could handle GAS, because there's hardly anyone left playing it on Xbox 360. Its still my favorite racing game to play, and after playing the Forza Horizon 2 demo and Forza 6 demo for Xbox one, I actually still liked the handling in GAS better. I'm not bored with GAS yet, so I'm not ready to buy Forza, but a new GRID game would be really cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CapitalJJ said:
Cos said:
Well, the game is still being played to death by a whole bunch of regulars, and even some new playa's. Was talking to some new American friends earlier, and one of them remarked that, being able to play with people on the other side of the planet, and hold a conversation was amazing. I had to agree and add, that GAS has been the most influential in community connection for me (70% of my full steam friends list i met on GAS)
Not a brown nose, just a genuine, thank you very much, and keep up the good work. ;) 
I wish I had a gaming PC that could handle GAS, because there's hardly anyone left playing it on Xbox 360. Its still my favorite racing game to play, and after playing the Forza Horizon 2 demo and Forza 6 demo for Xbox one, I actually still liked the handling in GAS better. I'm not bored with GAS yet, so I'm not ready to buy Forza, but a new GRID game would be really cool.
You should be able to get a decent AMD to play GAS. Probably the same price as a console, and cheaper than a phone. I'm running an AMD A10 3.4 with 8 gig of ram. Less than 700 euro's. Admittedly i have a 3 gig gtx 660, but i get great fps in most games at high to ultra. So cheaper set up and mid graphics should do ya. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cos said:
CapitalJJ said:
Cos said:
Well, the game is still being played to death by a whole bunch of regulars, and even some new playa's. Was talking to some new American friends earlier, and one of them remarked that, being able to play with people on the other side of the planet, and hold a conversation was amazing. I had to agree and add, that GAS has been the most influential in community connection for me (70% of my full steam friends list i met on GAS)
Not a brown nose, just a genuine, thank you very much, and keep up the good work. ;) 
I wish I had a gaming PC that could handle GAS, because there's hardly anyone left playing it on Xbox 360. Its still my favorite racing game to play, and after playing the Forza Horizon 2 demo and Forza 6 demo for Xbox one, I actually still liked the handling in GAS better. I'm not bored with GAS yet, so I'm not ready to buy Forza, but a new GRID game would be really cool.
You should be able to get a decent AMD to play GAS. Probably the same price as a console, and cheaper than a phone. I'm running an AMD A10 3.4 with 8 gig of ram. Less than 700 euro's. Admittedly i have a 3 gig gtx 660, but i get great fps in most games at high to ultra. So cheaper set up and mid graphics should do ya. ;)
One of these days, when I have the money, I'll buy a gaming PC, or build one, but I just don't have the money right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They don't know anymore how make a good grid, is a waste of time.
I think if we want a good grid game, just ask to remake the grid1 with next gen graphics, and tons of new car and tracks with dlc.
Its all we need.
Hi, Jo . . . good to see one of the old guard still breathing, lol.
We gave up long ago with wanting another Grid like Grid 1, it ain't going to happen . . . Grid 1 was a 'one-off', you can't repeat what has already been because its been done. This is why the Grid games which followed could never have the original 'wow' factor.
The guys on our gaming site are into Dirt Rally, a game CM definitely got right.
My tag on the site is, eras.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RubyRuby said:
Codies did keep up support for G2 for quite awhile and made at least an attempt to restore some of the missing features from GRID.  Derby, and sort of a cockpit view.  But . . . it still isn't the sequel to GRID we had been waiting for.

CobraGamer's 12:03 post bears out my opinion that many GRID fans want too many contradictory features in a sequel for Codies to make one that won't disappoint big sectors of the fan base.  A major factor to me is GRID's simplicity.  It's Race Driver, and "It's all about the race."  It's about driving, not about engineering or tuning, not about customizing.  Racing games that provide all that detail are all over the place.  GRID is not one of them.  GRID dared to do less, by focusing on the race itself, and ended up doing more.  My opinion.
Hi Frank, the endless argument still continues, lol . .
I can see the future headlines, "we want Grid 42" . . ." we want Grid 43".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think you're right, even though if we each got the game we wanted nobody would recognize it as a GRID game - we would still be hollering for a GRID sequel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'd like it to go the route of ToCA Race Driver 3, be a smorgasbord of racing disciplines all under one roof, nothing more challenging than going from GT to trucks, to single seaters, etc.

Of course, if you could license the BTCC in some capacity, that'd help; I read elsewhere the issue might be that the series, cars and tracks would all need licencing separately, but maybe that's one to chase up with all of them, as a new game would be great publicity like the old ToCA Touring Cars games. Plus with Subaru joining, it's going to be an interesting season...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'd like a combination of all three GRID games (I also like it to play all three games).
Right away I say that I doubt the release of a GRID 4, since the series changes it's name every three games (referring to ToCA and Race Driver now).

Anyway, what bothered me about GRID was, that the managing aspect lost it's breeze after some seasons, as you simply hadn't needed to care for money anymore.
Maybe introducing some maintainance system and more stress on your pocket would keep that aspect more interesting?
Also a penalty for underperforming (as announced for F1 2016) would add more salt to the frustration. A good simcade game is after all also quite challenging (if wished, that's why you got difficulty settings).

I could write so much, but a future game simply needs to orientate itself on what made previous games interesting. A bit story, solid simcade driving and especially long term motivation!
It probably needs some sort of "cover series" that is going to be the highest championship to compete in in the career.

Also, Codies might get more depth into RaceNet (and maybe make the site a bit faster? :P ). I kinda like it to keep being in a game when not playing. Adds a bit of seriousness to the experience ^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think a totally and realistic sim GRID would be awesome, but they need to code some efficient assist system so arcade lovers won't be disappointed.

Plus the classic community wishes like real time weather with rain and night, variety of contents with different classes, many tracks.... etc

Also efficiency and simplicity of multiplayer is the key of success, just look at LFS and you have a great exemple to how a good online system should be made. 

And as a bonus a open world town area to have fun can be really a good idea to create some difference from other sim and generate more sales. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×