Is there a way to change difficulty in Career mode ?

I am really looking forward for it. Until it was open level I was fine. It was nice to race and to be able to win the events but now once I entered clubman level there is a world of difference. I get my ass kicked almost all the times and I am a bit fed up to race the same track 1000 times before being able to win. There must be a way .....

First thing is you don't have to win every race, it's not even needed to get promoted and you should not even be looking to get promoted if you think it's already too difficult. How does this "race the same track 1000 times" even work? You are limited to 5 restarts per event in career, no?

Edited by HoksuHoo

nah can't do it mate, only possible in custom championship.

i've suggested a few times before being able to select a lower difficulty once you've passed it so people can go back to lower difficulties if you want but the response from CM was that the difficulty in career is curated and they're not going to allow anyone to change the level of difficulty in career.

FYI if you finish in the bottom 3 enough times or abandon the championship enough times it will drop you down a difficulty level.

• Agree 1

I dunno why you are so after that. It's a rally simulator, there is no story to unfold, no cutscenes, no unlocks. Higher class just means higher difficulty.
And since it is a skill based game, the way to go forward is to get better in driving. That is the whole point, the whole essence of the MyTeam area. There is (apart from the money spending) zero difference to freeplay or historic mode. So, lowering the difficulty for a class is just almost exactly the same experience as one class below it.
Maybe I don't see the point (please explain if there is something I overlook), but for me, getting better in my driving abilities was actually the whole motivation to progress in MyTeam. I mean, where is the motivation to fight for podium positions, if I could just lower the difficulty and win every time?

Maybe this might also help:

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, koog2003 said:

I am really looking forward for it. Until it was open level I was fine. It was nice to race and to be able to win the events but now once I entered clubman level there is a world of difference. I get my ass kicked almost all the times and I am a bit fed up to race the same track 1000 times before being able to win. There must be a way .....

ya, as was said before, you don't actually need to win anything. it's not like a lot of other racing games that encourage you to finish first in everything. you get promoted to the next difficulty level up if you finish in the top 3. and that's really all the "career modes" are - do championship, if top three then go to next difficulty level. if not top 3 repeat. there's no progression or rewards other than the cash you get and the engine upgrades you can unlock on every individual vehicle after driving it a certain amount of km.

so personally I'd wait for the DLC locations to come out on Oculus (I know, this is kind of an open wound for you... it sucks and I am sorry!) because then every new championship you get will have a different selection of the locations in the game. as it stands you're stuck doing the same 6 over and over again. I waited two months after getting it on release so I could play the career with Monte Carlo and Sweden. 

in the meantime, try the Historic Championships in Freeplay. there's a few reasons to do at least some of this before the career.

• 1) having access to DLC locations and cars doesn't affect them at all.
  • 2) they're shorter.
  • 3) they force you to learn to drive all the of the different classes in the game.
  • 4) you can change the difficulty level every event and adjust it for different car classes. (I turn it waaaay down for RWD cars and Group B for example)
  • 5) repairs are free (and you have all the team upgrades) so you don't have to worry about wrecking the car too much.
  • 6) they're good practice. by the time I got around to doing the career, I breezed through Clubman, (and I play on a keyboard).
  • 7) to "complete" a championship you only need to come in the top 3 (though you get an extra prize if you win the R5 one).
41 minutes ago, Tranzitive said:

FYI if you finish in the bottom 3 enough times or abandon the championship enough times it will drop you down a difficulty level.

you can retire every event in a championship and it'll drop you down automatically now. I don't know if coming in the bottom 3 does it automatically

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ianism said:

ya, as was said before, you don't actually need to win anything. it's not like a lot of other racing games that encourage you to finish first in everything. you get promoted to the next difficulty level up if you finish in the top 3. and that's really all the "career modes" are - do championship, if top three then go to next difficulty level. if not top 3 repeat. there's no progression or rewards other than the cash you get and the engine upgrades you can unlock on every individual vehicle after driving it a certain amount of km.

so personally I'd wait for the DLC locations to come out on Oculus (I know, this is kind of an open wound for you... it sucks and I am sorry!) because then every new championship you get will have a different selection of the locations in the game. as it stands you're stuck doing the same 6 over and over again. I waited two months after getting it on release so I could play the career with Monte Carlo and Sweden. 

in the meantime, try the Historic Championships in Freeplay. there's a few reasons to do at least some of this before the career.

• 1) having access to DLC locations and cars doesn't affect them at all.
  • 2) they're shorter.
  • 3) they force you to learn to drive all the of the different classes in the game.
  • 4) you can change the difficulty level every event and adjust it for different car classes. (I turn it waaaay down for RWD cars and Group B for example)
  • 5) repairs are free (and you have all the team upgrades) so you don't have to worry about wrecking the car too much.
  • 6) they're good practice. by the time I got around to doing the career, I breezed through Clubman, (and I play on a keyboard).
  • 7) to "complete" a championship you only need to come in the top 3 (though you get an extra prize if you win the R5 one).

you can retire every event in a championship and it'll drop you down automatically now. I don't know if coming in the bottom 3 does it automatically

Thanks man I will give it a try for sure ! So I understand there is no way to change the difficulty in Career mode. I will train more and more then. At least there must be a way to reset a career once you started one .. no ? 

For what regards the DLCs well if it works as good as the oculus one I will buy the Steam version too and end of the troubles.

Edited by koog2003

1 hour ago, SkyRex said:

I dunno why you are so after that. It's a rally simulator, there is no story to unfold, no cutscenes, no unlocks. Higher class just means higher difficulty.
And since it is a skill based game, the way to go forward is to get better in driving. That is the whole point, the whole essence of the MyTeam area. There is (apart from the money spending) zero difference to freeplay or historic mode. So, lowering the difficulty for a class is just almost exactly the same experience as one class below it.
Maybe I don't see the point (please explain if there is something I overlook), but for me, getting better in my driving abilities was actually the whole motivation to progress in MyTeam. I mean, where is the motivation to fight for podium positions, if I could just lower the difficulty and win every time?

Maybe this might also help:

Not saying every time man I am just saying a little easier when it is needed. I understand the need to drive better and of course that is my target too, but sometimes it would be really nice especially for some particular tracks/categories to be able to lower a bit the difficulty and avoiding to lose 30 seconds because the track is super mega hard under the rain and with the mud. 

If only we could get the "Custom Championship" option back from DR1. Pick the number of events for the champ, number of stages per event, AI difficulty, and class - game generates you a championship accordingly and pays out the appropriate credits for the length/difficulty. 

Would be nice for doing one-off events late at night when you don't want a full championship and only a few more stages before calling it. Or if you have been driving all day and just want to end the session on a high note by doing a "weird" class you normally never pick and drop the AI difficulty to compensate.

Or if you ever just needed those last 15 miles to get an upgrade...

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, koog2003 said:

Thanks man I will give it a try for sure ! So I understand there is no way to change the difficulty in Career mode. I will train more and more then. At least there must be a way to reset a career once you started one .. no ? 

For what regards the DLCs well if it works as good as the oculus one I will buy the Steam version too and end of the troubles.

as for resetting the career, that's apparently coming in the 1.9 update 6 days from today. until now the solution was to buy and sell cars over and over again to get rid of your money and put yourself back in Open class by abandoning all the events in the championship

• Agree 1

Thanks for all the advice. I started the game when it first came out but was completely frustrated by the Career mode. I am a casual gamer  but did reach Pro in Dirt Rally 1.0 . In 2.0 Career I can't understand how I am constantly finishing in 26 th or lower. The right hand scree times show me in top 10 but at the end  of the stage I'm usually at 26 th, I  understand starting slow but I at least expect to be in mid teens. Sorry if I am rating, anyway I  finally figured out the Custom Championship and enjoying  that , thanks to your suggestions to do so. I could  not get it to work at the beginning because I was just too frustrated with the Career part. The Custom Championship is great but as someone suggested ,  the structure of it was better in DR 1.0 . Maybe I'll try Career again after a bunch of Custom Championships.Cheers

Think of it this way.  In DR1 there were only 6 locations.  Now there are 13.  It takes more time and determination to move up the ranks. 

In DR1 I made it to Masters but never won it all.  In DR2.0 I’m mid to bottom at Elite and that seems about right.