Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gamepad parametrs for Dirt Rally

Hi, 
Which parameters do you use for the gamepad (XBOX360)?
Currently I am using 45 sensitivity, 50 linear, but it feels a little bit into the nervous side....not to  bad, just a little bit tricky to keep the car straight, however getting tons of fun already...

Thanks. 

I've left the gamepad at 50 on both controls so far. Not found that changes make that much difference.

Mentioned in a few other threads that I have found the cars quite difficult to get round the corners, especially tight hairpins. I'm not convinced that this is something wrong with the game/physics, but it can be a bit frustrating not to catch the corner right and end up just ploughing straight on into the bank. It still seems a bit of a lottery to me, but I am making progress.

One thing that this is missing is a test area, like in Dirt3. it would be good to have a compound with the different surfaces, just something flat with maybe a few cones to drive round. This would help practice the handling and get a better feel for what can and can't be done. I also think it could help wheel users give better feedback.

Yes, definitively a test area would be great to check the different parameters of the car that can be changed...

Just realised from the Reddit board that Logitech DA, whilst recognised by the game, doesn't show the 'advanced gamepad settings' menu. Would be great if someone could clarify if this is intentional (for now) or a known bug?

I put the sensitivity to very low, I think minimum. It was usable then, otherwise couldn't keep the car straight. But I use a dualshock4 controller so i might not qualify as a valid user!

it is strange that it is much more harder to control your car when you are driving with the outside camera (when you see all the car) than the interior camera..

have you tried?

dirt3joe said:
I've left the gamepad at 50 on both controls so far. Not found that changes make that much difference.

Mentioned in a few other threads that I have found the cars quite difficult to get round the corners, especially tight hairpins. I'm not convinced that this is something wrong with the game/physics, but it can be a bit frustrating not to catch the corner right and end up just ploughing straight on into the bank. It still seems a bit of a lottery to me, but I am making progress.

One thing that this is missing is a test area, like in Dirt3. it would be good to have a compound with the different surfaces, just something flat with maybe a few cones to drive round. This would help practice the handling and get a better feel for what can and can't be done. I also think it could help wheel users give better feedback.

I'm using a wheel to play the game but, regarding your comment on the tight corners, even with a wheel the default setup was causing me grief until I fiddled with the car setup and set the brakes more to the rear, it means the front is less likely to lock up and understeer whereas the back end will, this allows you to still have control of the front end.

Progressive throttle control is a great help, so if you got analogue triggers use em for gas and brake, late braking will put you off track so brake early, a dab or hold on the handbrake can get you round those pesky hairpins or Accute corners, once you are confident in the responses you'll get.

Take a look at this vid I took of Monte Carlo on ice, you can hear me feathering the throttle, coming off the power and braking early, and also that you CAN throw the cars around once you get to grips with the games physics...

https://youtu.be/rTPOOjXGMhc

This game compared to Dirt Showdown or even Dirt 3, is a bit like the transition from G2 to GAS was, a move from an arcade game to a more Simlike game, where real world racing techniques actually work and were required for you to beat the AI on the hardest settings.

I also like your idea of a practice area of some kind where you can just throw the car around under no pressure and learn how it responds without it being "career vital" or even a custom cup.

I put the sensitivity to very low, I think minimum. It was usable then, otherwise couldn't keep the car straight. But I use a dualshock4 controller so i might not qualify as a valid user!
I use the ds4 controller as well and I'm with you 15 sensitivity and 70 linear. I think its because the ds4 sticks travel a bit further to be maxed out, which in turn makes it very sensative!

Do codemasters plan on making the controls easier as tracks are already narrow it would be great to get that control back. 

Nick

Since my DualShock 4 is emulated as an xbox360 controller (Microsoft, get your naming in a gear...) I think I can share my settings here.

Sensitivity: 95
Linearity: 20
Deadzone: 0
Saturation: 100

The main thing that helps with a gamepad and keeping cars in a straight line better, is treating the analog stick like a steering wheel, not a keyboard. If you want slight alteration to the line, just slightly tilt the stick, not go mad at opposite lock. Does wonders, I assure you all.

I use something like this on XboxOne:

Sensitivity: 80-85
Linearity: 10
Deadzone: 0
Saturation: 100

I use relatively high sensitivity and keep linearity low  because otherwise I often over-do slight corrections. To reduce "nerveousness" of some cars (I usually drive RWD) I use some slight negative toe on the front wheels (and of course on the rears too!). I struggled with the Fiat 131 in Sweden but with negative front toe the car is much easier to keep on the road on those narrow, slippery but high-speed sections.

I set sensitivity at 95 and linearity at 20, it may seem strange to have sensitivity so high but with this level of linearity it makes it more stable and less twitchy while still have responsiveness