Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenya & Japan back in WRC 2020 !

2 minutes ago, dgeesi0 said:

japan is the big one i been on about adding that to dirt rally for ages. :classic_biggrin:

It's not the Hokkaido one though. Seems to be a fresh new tarmac event, probably somewhat replacing Spain & Corsica

japan and kenya ok good   but new zeland not why he remove 2 tarmac spain and corsica 

Australia shafted from WRC 2020! dirty, dirty, ********.

Now I'm tempted to go to Coff's for the 2019 finals in November... but not sure if I can be trusted with alcohol when surrounded by Finns and Estonians :classic_unsure:

8 hours ago, gk9147 said:

japan and kenya ok good   but new zeland not why he remove 2 tarmac spain and corsica 

I welcome the removal of Spain and Corsica very much.
The W in WRC stands for world, yet it has been quite Euro-centric a few years back, Now we will get a proper Global Championship.
It still has a lot of European destinations, but since the sport originated here, that will probably stay as it is.
Also, the two being dropped are exactly what I'd pick too. Spain is more like a racetrack, more like a modern hillclimb event. And Corsica also quite smooth in places.
Yet to retain tarmac, Japan will add it back in. And Rally has always been about loose surface mainly, at least for me, so a ratio of 20/80 tarmac/loose is exactly right.

The only drop slightly sad is Australia. Though I like New Zealand as a venue just slightly more, so even that is a net positive.

I would even go further and drop Portugal to include something like Pacific Forest Rally Canada or Olympus Rally USA. Or to drop Sardegna to include something like Johor, Malaysia or similar Region.
Europe's core Rallies, that define the sport with unrivaled heritage are IMHO Monte-Carlo, Finland, Sweden and Wales. (Maybe also Germany...) The others could go, to make the WRC actually more global.

here's a vid to celebrate NZ being back on the calendar.

getting deja vu when i watch this, stage seems familiar 😛

@SkyRex personally they could have just changed sardegna and replaced it with san remo ( he is same country ), for my logic when you remove 2 tarmac you add 2  tarmac 

5 hours ago, SkyRex said:

I welcome the removal of Spain and Corsica very much.
The W in WRC stands for world, yet it has been quite Euro-centric a few years back, Now we will get a proper Global Championship.
It still has a lot of European destinations, but since the sport originated here, that will probably stay as it is.
Also, the two being dropped are exactly what I'd pick too. Spain is more like a racetrack, more like a modern hillclimb event. And Corsica also quite smooth in places.
Yet to retain tarmac, Japan will add it back in. And Rally has always been about loose surface mainly, at least for me, so a ratio of 20/80 tarmac/loose is exactly right.

The only drop slightly sad is Australia. Though I like New Zealand as a venue just slightly more, so even that is a net positive.

I would even go further and drop Portugal to include something like Pacific Forest Rally Canada or Olympus Rally USA. Or to drop Sardegna to include something like Johor, Malaysia or similar Region.
Europe's core Rallies, that define the sport with unrivaled heritage are IMHO Monte-Carlo, Finland, Sweden and Wales. (Maybe also Germany...) The others could go, to make the WRC actually more global.

agreed, (especially about losing Australia - if nothing else it would be convenient and nice to have two events in a row in Oceania) but I think they should expand slowly to new locations, taking it in turns to go to places like the west coast of North America, then back to Europe, then somewhere else.

there are two issues with rallying here (I'm from Montreal). the first is that it's just not that popular here. second, the continent is super big. all the big population centres outside the east coast are very spread apart. for me to get to one near Vancouver for example, is farther than Dublin is from Sochi. it means smaller crowds at the event, and local organizers who maybe don't have experience putting on rallies. so I like the idea of making it a truly international competition. they just need to take it slow. the WRX Championship has had growing pains here too, with only brief stays in Argentina, Turkey, and the US in the six years it's been active.

AFAIK Australia hasn't been permanently dropped, but it's going to alternate with New Zealand. One year Aus, next year NZ, next year Aus, etc.

2 hours ago, Tranzitive said:

AFAIK Australia hasn't been permanently dropped, but it's going to alternate with New Zealand. One year Aus, next year NZ, next year Aus, etc.

I think Australia had hopes of making ourselves the permanent location of the finals, so comes as a bit of a surprise. (Also odd how NZ has been sent back to the 10th location?)

I suspect it had more to do with influence coming from Toyota and Japan.

5 hours ago, ianism said:

there are two issues with rallying here (I'm from Montreal). the first is that it's just not that popular here. second, the continent is super big. all the big population centres outside the east coast are very spread apart. for me to get to one near Vancouver for example, is farther than Dublin is from Sochi. it means smaller crowds at the event, and local organizers who maybe don't have experience putting on rallies.

Similar situation downunder. Rally gets plonked down in a tourist town between 2 major cities to further complicate logistics assuming people will flock to the middle of nowhere like they would to see V8 Supercar track races.

Some events really are shooting themselves in the foot by ignoring the obvious- having a driver from your country in the championship. There's the lack of domestic popularity problem in a nutshell right there...