DiRT Rally 2.0 - Version 1.9 VR Feedback

Topic will be automatically locked at 10:00

IMPORTANT: Read and understand this entire opening post before replying, as providing the right amount of detail will help out the team immensely in tracking and resolving any bugs that arise, thanks.

ALSO: This thread is for VR-related issues only. Head to the following thread for general bugs:

DR2_Oculus_Photo_2.jpg

Before posting, please make sure to follow these guidelines. Without adequate information the team will have trouble identifying and fixing bugs, so please provide as much info as you can:

• Check if a bug has already been reported.

• If a bug has been reported and you are experiencing the same issue, hit the 🤍 icon. 

• The more popular bug posts will have a better chance of catching the attention of the team.

• If a bug cannot be reproduced, it cannot be fixed.

• When you experience a bug, please try to trigger said bug again if you can, and show us the steps you went through to trigger it.

• Text steps are good, video even better.

• One bug per post please, for our tracking purposes. That way every bug gets its own URL for us to investigate.

Please also provide the following:

• What platform you're playing on (Steam or Oculus).

• What headset you're using.

• What your PC setup/build is like (graphics card, processor etc.).

• Whether you're a Standard or Deluxe user (Steam only).

• Whether or not you have any non-standard peripherals connected, like steering wheels, gaming mice etc.

Posted (edited)

Platform: PC, Steam via new Oculus mode

Headset: Oculus Rift S

PC Setup: Windows 10, i7-2500k, 1060 6GB, 16GB RAM, 2xSSD in RAID0

User type: Deluxe

Peripherals: Thrustmaster TX Wheel/Pedals

OK, so much like with the last update, I've not got issues with (I believe) USB-related stuttering. This randomly went away last time after a few days for no apparent reason, but it's back again....

I've had half an hour or so's tinkering. So far I have:

1) Updated the Rift S drivers (on request of Oculus application)

2) Tried to disable all non-used HID devices

3) Unplugged all non-used devices.

4) Tried plugging in the wheel after the game has started (a pain in the ass...)

The only thing which seems to work is unplugging the wheel, which doesn't really help playing the game...!

Any ideas? This USB-related stuttering seems to be quite a common problem, any chance of a fix?

Edit: Just a note to say that apart from the stuttering, the Oculus mode seems quite smooth. However, it looks a little compressed - the dark areas of the dashboards seem banded, like a badly compressed jpg or video. Not sure if this is just the trade-off we have to take for smoother gameplay?

Edited by piphil
Added note.

Platform: Steam with OculusVR mode

Headset: Oculus Rift CV1

PC Setup: intel core 17 6700k, 16gb ddr4@3000mhz, MSI GTX1080 Gaming X

User type: Deluxe+Season3/4

Peripherals: Thrustmaster T300RS with T3PA pro pedals and 2xTH8A shifters.

First impressions are so far very good, gameplay seems smooth with the new Oculus mode on Steam, spain runs far better than it did previously. The lagging around the buildings is noticably reduced, to the point it was barely noticable. Headset stutter is totally gone on Steam using the OculusVR mode. I even seem to be able to bump particles up to "high" now as well. I have yet to run with the performance monitor open, so have yet to monitor what the frame rates are doing. But on the surface, it looks good. I have run stages in Wales (at night with rain), Sweden, and Spain. I will do a full comparison once the Oculus store version has updated as well.

There is some odd banding issues between colours in places though, its mainly noticable on night stages where the lights cause a drastic change from light to dark. Its a similar effect to if you loaded up a picture in Photoshop and used the "posterize" filter.

Other issues I have noticed, Alt-Enter doesnt work in OculusVR mode, neither does Alt-Tab. This was annoying at first, as the game started up in fullscreen; which caused that tiny UI elements issue. Had to close the game down and change the file hardware_settings_config.xml to "windowed" and restart.

There is a weird "wobble" in the HMD while sitting at the start line in the Oculus mode also, which is a little nausiating. But isnt an issue once in motion. Doesnt happen in the SteamVR version, but will check the Oculus Store version, once updated.

One thing I hope is looked into however, is the corrolation between having "ground cover" turned on to any level, and the Shaders been set to high. For whatever reason, those two items do not work well together in VR. It causes the framerate to tank, and there really shouldnt be any reason for it. With shaders set to "low", the enviroment just looks horrid; but having "ground cover" turned off also removes certain details that add to the look. Obviously, as it currently stands, I pick "ground cover" to turn off; as the game really does look that bad when the shaders set to "low".

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ialyrn said:

One thing I hope is looked into however, is the corrolation between having "ground cover" turned on to any level, and the Shaders been set to high. For whatever reason, those two items do not work well together in VR. It causes the framerate to tank, and there really shouldnt be any reason for it. With shaders set to "low", the enviroment just looks horrid; but having "ground cover" turned off also removes certain details that add to the look. Obviously, as it currently stands, I pick "ground cover" to turn off; as the game really does look that bad when the shaders set to "low".

This is normal, Ground cover has always incurred a massive performance hit to VR Rendering in DR1.0 and DR2.0, across Occulus, SteamVR and WindowsMR devices.

Edited by nbates66

2 minutes ago, nbates66 said:

This is normal, Ground cover has always incurred a massive performance hit to VR Rendering in DR1.0 and DR2.0, across Occulus, SteamVR and WindowsMR devices.

Non issue in Dirt Rally 1 on my system, I run everything but "Crowds" on that version at the highest settings in VR; and it doesnt skip a beat. This is about DR2.0 VR performance feedback though. With regards to "ground cover", it cripples the performance in this version of the game, on any setting but "off". While using VR. As pointed out in my previous post, with shaders set to high and ground cover turned on (even on low); its an issue. Turn shaders to "low", issue is gone; but the game looks dull and not very pleasent to look at. Leave shaders on "high" but turn off ground cover, issue is also gone. Whatever is happening, is happening between those two options. And as this is a feedback thread, I am pointing it out as feedback.

Posted (edited)

In time of playing DR1 I had GTX970 and GTX1070. I also can confirm that ground cover together with crowds have most significant impact on fps (not mention advanced blending which can kill 2D 😉 )
It's the same in DR2.

However I found, especially in Span cities, there is huge fps drop which can be solved only by lowering shader level (which makes a scene looking unacceptably ugly). I can manage 90fps in all locations, but in mentioned build-up areas, fps drops below 50. Hope it has been fixed in this version.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

Posted (edited)

Huge improve from the steam version and runs nicely,  very good job by CM game devs.

Colour banding I first saw at night has gone, rebooted and reinstalled video driver and seems to be ok now.

Edited by RogerRamjet77

Posted (edited)

- Purchased from Oculus Store

- Oculus Rift S with Oculus Home 1.41.0.295808 (1.41.0.295808)

- AMD Ryzen 1800X, GeForce Titan X Pascal (driver 436.48), 32 GB RAM

- Standard user

- Thrustmaster TS-PC wheel and pedals

- Windows 10 Pro 1903 (18362.356), Spanish language

Still no sound at all from the Oculus version. I already reported it on the 1.7 VR Feedback and 1.8 VR Feedback threads and it's not yet fixed. This sounds like a joke (no pun intended), I should have refunded the game as soon as I bought it. Clearly it only affects some users and Codemasters is not even aware of it. Worst of all is the complete radio silence from Codemasters regarding this problem.

A reddit thread talking about the problem:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/cnx507/dirt_20_oculus_version_no_audio/

Edited by JuanEtxeb
  • Like 1

I've done some more testing since my post above. I've found that the game sometimes works in Oculus mode for a little while (1-2 minutes) without stuttering, but then it returns, normally mid-way through a stage.

Even worse, the problem seems to also effect the Steam VR version now. Like I said earlier, directly after the last patch I had this issue, but it went away after not playing for a few days, which makes it difficult to narrow down unfortunately...

11 minutes ago, JuanEtxeb said:

I should have refunded the game as soon as I bought it

IMO you have still rights for refund.

I have a Rift S. 

Used to be unplayable with the OpenVR version, is now buttery sunshine smooth with the Oculus support. Good job CM 🙂 

Posted (edited)

The game runs a lot smoother for me, but sometimes it resets my position to some place outside the car. Some tracks (like Germany) are almost unplayable because it almost happens every turn there. It also happens during the loading screen. It's like it teleports me a few meters to the right of the screen. I had the same issues in Dirt Rally 1, but not before in 2

Edit: Playing on steam, with an oculus rift S in oculus mode. Running a 1060GTX, using a G920 steering wheel

Edited by Nerdiator
added specs
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ive done more testing since my last post between each VR version of the game. Quoting my last post, as what I said is still relevent to the steam version running with the Oculus SDK.

6 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

Platform: Steam with OculusVR mode

Headset: Oculus Rift CV1

PC Setup: intel core 17 6700k, 16gb ddr4@3000mhz, MSI GTX1080 Gaming X

User type: Deluxe+Season3/4

Peripherals: Thrustmaster T300RS with T3PA pro pedals and 2xTH8A shifters.

First impressions are so far very good, gameplay seems smooth with the new Oculus mode on Steam, spain runs far better than it did previously. The lagging around the buildings is noticably reduced, to the point it was barely noticable. Headset stutter is totally gone on Steam using the OculusVR mode. I even seem to be able to bump particles up to "high" now as well. I have yet to run with the performance monitor open, so have yet to monitor what the frame rates are doing. But on the surface, it looks good. I have run stages in Wales (at night with rain), Sweden, and Spain. I will do a full comparison once the Oculus store version has updated as well.

There is some odd banding issues between colours in places though, its mainly noticable on night stages where the lights cause a drastic change from light to dark. Its a similar effect to if you loaded up a picture in Photoshop and used the "posterize" filter.

Other issues I have noticed, Alt-Enter doesnt work in OculusVR mode, neither does Alt-Tab. This was annoying at first, as the game started up in fullscreen; which caused that tiny UI elements issue. Had to close the game down and change the file hardware_settings_config.xml to "windowed" and restart.

There is a weird "wobble" in the HMD while sitting at the start line in the Oculus mode also, which is a little nausiating. But isnt an issue once in motion. Doesnt happen in the SteamVR version, but will check the Oculus Store version, once updated.

To start off, a little amendment. The steam version with the OculusSDK still drops frames on spain, but like with the Oculus Store version. It just isnt anywhere near as noticable. Especially when ASW is turned on. Running with out ASW however, shows the FPS still drops a significant amount. Though not anywhere much as the SteamVR version does. I will be monitoring other rallys as well, just incase I spot any other FPS drops.

The Steam version running with the Oculus SDK and the Oculus Store version seem to be running identically, far as I can tell. The performance figures are pretty much identical as well.

The Oculus Store version STILL doesnt run with audio unless loaded up through steam. This needs fixing asap, and it also need passing around to others who own the game through the Oculus Store that there is a work around in the mean time.

The steamVR version still runs really bad though. Hopefully now the OculusSDK is out on the steam version, there can be some effort on optimisation in order to improve the performance. There are clear issues somewhere in regards to the enviroments, especially on spain. There are frame drops that happen in some really odd places, and they happen regardless of graphical settings. As you can see in my new video, SteamVR performance headroom is much lower than the OculusSDK and Oculus Store versions.

CPU and GPU ultilisation is still ridiculously low, and might be adding to the issues. (monitored through MSI Afterburner).

On top of this, there is still that annoying USB polling issue. This is another issues that needs resolving, as it also adds to the decreases in performance. The drops to 87.2fps in each version are because of the USB issue. If I remove my TH8A shifters, as mentioned last time; the issue goes away fully. You have a user on the forums that knows how to solve this issue, you really need to check out their fix, and implement it on the Steam and Oculus store versions as an update as standard. The SteamVR version, again, is the worst effected by this issue.

I did my video on Spain again, same stage as last time. The FPS drops around the buildings, happen on any stage on Spain were buildings are present.

• Like 1

• What platform you're playing on (Steam or Oculus). Steam and oculus

• What headset you're using. Rift S

• What your PC setup/build is like (graphics card, processor etc.). rtx 2080

• Whether you're a Standard or Deluxe user (Steam only). standar

• Whether or not you have any non-standard peripherals connected, like steering wheels, gaming mice etc.   Fanatec wheel , pedals and handbreak

Steam version: Mutch better. Better performance and easier to read text.  Still need to use "Dirtfix" to have no stutter at all. Colour banding in dark ereas

Oculus version: Still NO SOUND.   Yas marina was playable. 

So now i think i will move over to steam version as it looks like there in no itention to fix the sound problem and still no official dlc on the oculus store version.

To bad you cant move the save files 😞

Posted (edited)

Performance is much much better! Thanks! When driving in the dark the black colors looks really weird though. Is that the a limitation in the headset or a game issue?

Oculus Rift

Edited by somethingthing

Posted (edited)

Some random remarks:

1. it's the second patch which should contain "Improved readability of various UI elements". TBH I can't see any. Especially all those pictograms representing a key to press are simply unreadable forcing me to press every key on keyboard to find desired one.

2. I experienced random frequent stutters. Never seen them before. GPU/CPU monitoring didn't indicate anything remarkable

3. Hamra before start - fps drop to 50fps while the rest of Sweden 90fps

4. Steering wheel still doesn't match rendered wheel. Requires saturation correction for each car. Only with wheel rotation equal to R5 cars matches 100% saturation.

5. Running game from the icon, even with "-vr" argument added (btw Steam app generates such one) always starts game in non-VR mode. The only way to run in VR is to run from Steam Library, pressing "Play in VR" button.

6. Happened to me once (at the end of some Sweden stage) that a few last pace notes was very silent, interleaved by louder ones

7. sound FXs during stage loading are played even if music is turned down.

8. Foggy stages in Sweden really suxx. Today I saw orangish fog, probably when going toward the sun. Complete blindness..
I don't know how it looks on monitor, but in VR is almost unplayable... OK: playable but completely impossible to anticipate single turn. AI wins here.

Positive thing: Chaperone is disabled. I think I was the first who posted this request on this forum. Thank you.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

Performance is MUCH better, thanks for this update! 

As mentioned above, a few things-

-Blacks are weird in dark stages

-Text prompts in-game are small again- this was fixed previously, now they are back to being small and stretched vertically for some reason

-Question: How do we go back to windowed mode? I don't see where to change the xml file and it's not an in-game option that I can see. 

• Like 1

Just a quick message to say head tracking camera issue is finally fixed in SteamVR, the game feels a lot nicer now. Thank you.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, ortazel said:

-Question: How do we go back to windowed mode? I don't see where to change the xml file and it's not an in-game option that I can see. 

You need to edit configuration file. Search for "dirt rally" in you document folder (incl subfolders).

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

Posted (edited)

Ok, I did more fiddling last night. In the end, I fixed the stuttering using the user-made patch available from GitHub:

https://github.com/simonowen/dirtfix/blob/master/ReadMe.md

My fiddling had found that the only way to reduce (not stop) the stuttering was to unplug my steering wheel (not ideal!). I tested this by unplugging all USB devices except the keyboard, then holding right/left down and listening to the menu 'click'. It should be a constant 'click click click' as the menu cycles, but it always had a slight stutter - reminded me of Vetinari's clock. 

Installing the user patch fixed the problem entirely. It seems to work by turning off the USB device polling, which for some reason it does (obviously in a buggy way) every 2 seconds. I guess this means if I plug in or unplug a controller during play the game won't pick it up. As I never do this anyway, this isn't an issue.

I'm a bit annoyed that I've had to resort to a user-made patch to fix this issue, especially as it seems to be pretty widespread - and appears to have caused some users to give up entirely and get refunds. Is there any chance the game could be patched by CM? At least turning off the polling outside of menus would mean gameplay is unaffected.

Otherwise, I'm now quite impressed with the Oculus version. It does look a bit more 'cartoony' than the Steam VR version, probably because it's defaulted to a lower graphics setting than I'd run it normally - I thankfully don't get easily motion sick, so I turned the graphics settings up a bit before to make the game look a bit less like it's being rendered on a potato - but it is very smooth and I suspect this will make driving easier.

I did run into a funny bug where if I started a stage using the dash cam view, I'd get no engine sound. Changing the view seemed to correct this.

Edited by piphil

18 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

Nice comparison. How did you capture video with the in headset (performance) overlay?

28 minutes ago, JesseDeya said:

Nice comparison. How did you capture video with the in headset (performance) overlay?

I used the oculus mirror app, its in the oculus folder. I then used OBS to capture the window using the "game capture" option, and used oculus tray tool to turn off asw (only way to see the full fps range) and turn on the built on oculus performance monitor. Because the oculus mirror app captures what is shown in the hmd, it shows everything. Including performance overlays and the guardian area. Oculus mirror is also the only way to capture footage from the oculus versions of dr2, as the game output on the monitor is split. Unlike the steamvr version.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

I used the oculus mirror app

Excellent, thanks.

• What platform you're playing on (Steam or Oculus). Steam - Oculus mode

• What headset you're using. Rift S

• What your PC setup/build is like (graphics card, processor etc.). 1070

• Whether you're a Standard or Deluxe user (Steam only). Deluxe

• Whether or not you have any non-standard peripherals connected, like steering wheels, gaming mice etc.   Thrustmaster T300, pedals attached the wheel base.

Baumholder is unplayable due to a constantly resetting camera.  Why is the camera reset option in the game not a permanent reset?  It seems to last only until the game decides to randomly reset your camera location, guaranteed between stages but sometimes during a stage too.  Problem seems much worse on Germany than other locations.