DiRT Rally 2.0 - Version 1.9 VR Feedback

Posted (edited)

Ich kann es nicht bestätigen! Alles funktioniert gut für mich (Steamvr und Oculus Rift S)

Edited by STEAKHOUSE79

2 hours ago, SharkyOB said:
  • Auf welcher Plattform du spielst (Steam oder Oculus). Steam - Oculus Modus

• Welches Headset verwenden Sie? Rift S

• Wie sieht das Setup / Build Ihres PCs aus (Grafikkarte, Prozessor usw.)? 1070

• Egal, ob Sie ein Standard- oder ein Deluxe-Benutzer sind (nur Steam). Deluxe

• Unabhängig davon, ob nicht standardmäßige Peripheriegeräte wie Lenkräder, Gaming-Mäuse usw. angeschlossen sind oder nicht. Der Thrustmaster T300 ist mit Pedalen am Radstand befestigt.

Baumholder ist aufgrund einer ständig zurückgesetzten Kamera nicht spielbar. Warum ist die Kamera-Reset-Option im Spiel kein permanenter Reset? Es scheint nur so lange zu dauern, bis das Spiel nach dem Zufallsprinzip entscheidet, Ihren Kamerastandort zurückzusetzen, was zwischen den Etappen, manchmal aber auch während einer Etappe garantiert ist. Das Problem scheint in Deutschland viel schlimmer zu sein als an anderen Orten.

I can not confirm it!  Everything works fine for me (Steamvr and Oculus Rift S)

Posted (edited)

what does 'reset camera' mean? AFAIK DR2 doesn't center VR camera on its own. Using hotkey is required. At least in SteamVR version

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

Posted (edited)

Bugs already reported but not solved still in v1.9. Both appears in VR mode only.

1. Inability to edit profile name
  2. Inability to edit setup name

In both cases I can go for edit, I can see a cursor blinking in edited field, but the game doesn't react on key presses. Game restart is needed.
It seems no devs even tried this game in VR, otherwise they would know that running the game for the first time, using VR, it's impossible due to inability to pass profile registration section.

BTW Try to figure out what are the hotkeys displayed at the bottom right. No, moving a head forward doesn't help.

EbLjhk3.jpg

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

Posted (edited)

Oculus Rift DK2

GTX1070

i7-7700k

Steam standard version.

With the new Oculus SDK, colors are more vivid for some reason but there are graphical issues:

1. Dark areas are super dark compared to before (cockpit, scenery). Very obvious in Spain where in one of the stage (don't remember which one sorry), the shadows of the tree make the whole course dark as night. Can't see even with headlights on. It was not like this before the update. I put the brightness slider up but still, something is wrong.

2. Very strong color banding all around the place in dark areas (most notably track surface and cockpit). Probably related to the first issue I mentionned. Was not like that before the update. 

Other issues:

3. Asynchronous space warp or time warp don't seem to be working as in other titles. FPS drops make the game run slow then fast in alternance. 

4. No way to adjust monitor mirroring options such as resolution and windowed mode. 

5. I cannot use SteamVR anymore. I can see SteamVR on my headset but I get a blackscreen when I launch the game.

Wish I could go back to 1.8 and SteamVR to be honest. Crossing my fingers for a patch soon! Will send a screenshot of the graphical issues soon.

Edited by antoinedrouin

2 hours ago, antoinedrouin said:

4. No way to adjust monitor mirroring options such as resolution and windowed mode. 

open hardware_settings_config and change fullscreen to 0 and it will be in windowed mode

Posted (edited)

speaking about mirroring, is there any chance to get undistorted single-eye view on monitor?

I'm tired asking the same question never getting an answer. Is it still official support forum?

Edited by MaXyMsrpl
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 10/3/2019 at 7:18 PM, MaXyMsrpl said:

what does 'reset camera' mean? AFAIK DR2 doesn't center VR camera on its own. Using hotkey is required. At least in SteamVR version

When the game initially loads up, the 2d screen I see in the Oculus headset is always in a slightly random position.  Sometimes it's off to the side somewhat or quite far above you in extreme cases.  I've got reset mapped to a button on my wheel, so I can reset it to a normal view easily.  The problem is that between each stage the camera defaults to the view from when the game initially loaded, so I have to reset the view either in the service area or at the start of the next stage.  That isn't a major issue, but it does it in the middle of stages too.  When the camera changes itself as you're going into a blind 6th gear corner it's definitely not ideal!

Edited by SharkyOB

So it seems it's Oculus related issue only. I didn't notice such behaviour with Vive.

There is a moment, when location load is being finished, just before switching to 4D mode, the game plays "ping" sound and SteamVR environment blinks with colours (on my end). I guess it's the moment when your view might be reset somehow.

• Agree 1

Played some more on steam with my rift s.

2 really annoing things.           1. The position of the camera suddenly moves(mostly rally cross) and i have to look for the reset vr button while racing

2. I can not walk away from the vr headset whitout the game locking up. Annoying when your doing weekly or montly challenges 😞

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, somethingthing said:

open hardware_settings_config and change fullscreen to 0 and it will be in windowed mode

Thanks. I thought it would be in the VR config file. 

I tried taking screenshots of the strong color banding effect today but it turns out the effect is not present in the mirrored screen. I also noticed that the weird banding on dark areas does not make sense for both eyes. It is not placed in the same position in the left eye and the right eye. Maybe like it is out of focus and you see double. I don't know but it really ruins it in dark areas. 

Edited by antoinedrouin

Hi, since the update 1.9 my oculus works perfectly!! Another level of game is offered to me. I thank codemaster. But on the control screen you see the two-eyed vision. But I want to have the 2d vision so that the outside audience can see the game. That was the case before. But I can’t find the solution to switch the display. For info I play dirt rally 2.0 on steam (pc) with oculus rift s . Thanks for your help.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, antoinedrouin said:

I tried taking screenshots of the strong color banding effect today but it turns out the effect is not present in the mirrored screen. I also noticed that the weird banding on dark areas does not make sense for both eyes. It is not placed in the same position in the left eye and the right eye. Maybe like it is out of focus and you see double. I don't know but it really ruins it in dark areas. 

In the next patch it will be but they found this issue too late to implement it in 1.9

" Launching DiRT Rally 2.0 in Oculus VR mode (Steam) currently applies the same graphics settings as in 2D Mode. "

@PJTierney

Have you pushed forward the issue with the color banding in dark areas with OR to the team? In DR1 i never noticed this.

Edited by somethingthing

We check this thread regularly 🙂 

I saw an earlier post about dark areas looking odd, is that related?

Screenshots would be good if possible.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

We check this thread regularly 🙂 

I saw an earlier post about dark areas looking odd, is that related?

Yes its related. A user in this thread tried to do a printscreen but it doesnt exsist on the mirrored picture.

8 hours ago, antoinedrouin said:

This is kinda how it looks - picture from google

img_2372-jpg.816495

i have read that its only in oculus sdk and not in steamvr

Edited by somethingthing

Ah okay. I did note something about black levels in a feedback tracker earlier this week 👍🏻

34 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Ah okay. I did note something about black levels in a feedback tracker earlier this week 👍🏻

Aye, its like I said in my post. Its almost like putting a photo in Photoshop and using the posterize filter on it.

What I can do, is load up sweden at night and turn off the cars lights. I smashed them last night on a run, and the problem was very visible due to the contrast between white and black. I just dont know if that will show outside of the HMD in the Oculus Mirror window.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Nice that you are aware of it. Feels like half the of the stages are at night in career so this is something thats noticeable almost the whole time.

The tracks looks much worse as soon as the cars headlight light up the road aswell, not only when its complete night. When its daylight it looks really good so maybe this is something that can be looked at too. It doesnt matter what graphics settings that are used or its some combination that i havent tested that fixes it, in that case id love to get to know.

Edited by somethingthing

8 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Here you go PJ, the video recorded from the Oculus Mirror did manage to capture it. I also recorded SteamVR too, just for comparison. On the Oculus SDK (steam or Oculus Store), the effect happens with really dark areas. Its most noticable on the cars dashboard and on the second half of the stage. For whatever reasons, it blows the dark areas out with purples and a really dark blues. What is visible in the video, actually looks a lot worse in the Oculus Rift itself.

Anyway, hope this helps.

• Agree 3

Hello everone,

I have FPS issues when I turn the render quality to "High" instead of low, even with everything else on Ultra Low.

I feel like my computer can run it at least in medium with AAx2, but it's not the case.

HTC Vive Cosmos, Ryzen 7 3700x, RTX 2070 Super, Everything updated.

Thanks for your support,

Romain.

Posted (edited)
  • Platform: Oculus
  • Headset: Rift CV1
  • System: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, Intel Core i5-6400, MultiSync PA272W display.
  • Non-standard Peripherals: None

Here's an unedited PNG screenshot that shows the posterization (or color banding) in dark areas. That's exactly how it looks from both the headset and mirrored desktop window. It's from one of the Australian stages at midnight with clear skies and headlights off. It's noticeable on any stage where the environment isn't strongly illuminated, i.e. under dense folliage when it's overcast, or anywhere between sunset and sunrise.

The colors seem fine when I'm using a TV as my display, but I've only done one quick test. Non-VR mode is also fine.

It's been present since the first VR release of DR2.

dr2-rift-midnight.png

Edited by Wergin
  • Agree 1

On 10/1/2019 at 1:27 PM, Ialyrn said:

First impressions are so far very good, gameplay seems smooth with the new Oculus mode on Steam, spain runs far better than it did previously. The lagging around the buildings is noticably reduced, to the point it was barely noticable. Headset stutter is totally gone on Steam using the OculusVR mode. I even seem to be able to bump particles up to "high" now as well. I have yet to run with the performance monitor open, so have yet to monitor what the frame rates are doing. But on the surface, it looks good. I have run stages in Wales (at night with rain), Sweden, and Spain. I will do a full comparison once the Oculus store version has updated as well.

There is some odd banding issues between colours in places though, its mainly noticable on night stages where the lights cause a drastic change from light to dark. Its a similar effect to if you loaded up a picture in Photoshop and used the "posterize" filter.

+1

(I've clicked the "agree" icon in lalyrn message but quoted this because I'm agree with those two paragraph)

Posted (edited)

Copied from v1.8's thread:

Please fix or provide an option to reduce the extreme image contrast, resulting in almost constant over-exposure in cockpit and extreme scene brightness fluctuations. To reproduce: get in any car, any stage in Sweden with heavy snow weather, lean forward against the windshield then back, notice the huge brightness change and how, when sitting back, the outside is way too bright (over-exposed). Sweden under heavy snow is simply unplayable in VR, I barely see anything past a few meters, I had to halt my career because of this.

Edited by Toltloc
  • Agree 5