DiRT Rally 2.0 - Version 1.9 VR Feedback

Topic will be automatically locked at 10:00

Regression from DR1:
The blurring of the world when the in-race menu is open prevents seeing the effects of changing graphical settings live, making it difficult to optimize. It hurts the framerate, too. Please disable it.

• Agree 2

Regression from DR1:
The mirrors are flat. In DR1, they were a flat image too but the mirror plane was pushed back in the mirror frame, making them feel 3D. It was also easier on the eyes (less focus difference between the road and the mirror).

On 10/4/2019 at 9:11 AM, SharkyOB said:

When the game initially loads up, the 2d screen I see in the Oculus headset is always in a slightly random position.  Sometimes it's off to the side somewhat or quite far above you in extreme cases.  I've got reset mapped to a button on my wheel, so I can reset it to a normal view easily.  The problem is that between each stage the camera defaults to the view from when the game initially loaded, so I have to reset the view either in the service area or at the start of the next stage.  That isn't a major issue, but it does it in the middle of stages too.  When the camera changes itself as you're going into a blind 6th gear corner it's definitely not ideal!

Can confirm, I have the same issue. Would love to see a fix because I also had this on Dirt Rally 1. I don't have this issue with SteamVR!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
  • What platform you're playing on (Steam or Oculus). - Steam in Steam VR mode

• What headset you're using. Rift V2 (Oculus Start Developer Program)

• What your PC setup/build is like (graphics card, processor etc.). Ryzen 3700x 32GB RAM RTX 2060

• Whether you're a Standard or Deluxe user (Steam only). Standard

• Whether or not you have any non-standard peripherals connected, like steering wheels, gaming mice etc. XBox xontroller compatible Razer Wolverine Tournament edition

What happens:

I just bought the game on Steam and started testing it out in VR. (thanks for the free Dirt Rally 1 a little while back too!)

I can use Ultra mode, but high settings seems smoother as there's some "smearing" in Ultra which is a little subliminally annoying. 

Game seems great, cars nice and weighty, slip n' slide. Easy to figure out. I have AC, ACC, WRC 8, DR1 to compare against. 

A bug report and some feedback. 

>>BUG 

The bug is that when the Hud is shown the Hud aspect ratio gets screwed up on the horizontal dimension so it looks warped.

It started happening after I tested different graphics quality settings. 

I can't put my finger on the trigger to cause this to happen, but it seems permanent now as it's set that way whenever I go into any freeplay mode. 

The only way to reset it is to be to change the basic graphics settings, eg change MSAA up or down then apply and it goes back to the correct aspect ratio. 

Really annoying to have to do every time though. 

>>General Feedback

>>Rain
Rain with car lights is terrible from the cockpit view through the window imho. It seems very high contrast and not nice to look at. In the other views it seems ok though, so I'd say that's a lighting issue that should be looked at to make the in cockpit rain view nice. My benchmark rain comparison tests here are ACC for VR and WRC 8 for flatscreen.

My test was Freeplay/Time trial/Argentina first stage you see and set to Dusk/Heavy Rain. This was in VR. I just tested in Flatscreen and it's "ok" so it's also specific to VR.

Edited by sonicviz
edit fix

Posted (edited)

I looked at what some of you refer to as color banding and I must say the effect is MUCH stronger on my side. I have attached 2 pictures I took with my phone straight through the lens. On the first one you can clearly see color banding on the sky. On the second one, it is very noticeable where the cockpit and legs are either black or blue, no inbetween. I can't take a picture of both lenses at the same time but I can say that the separation between blue and black is not at the same place for both eyes making for a very weird effect.

On the third picture (taken with the lens removed) you can see something I forgot to mention: The left eye bleeds in the right eye portion (not vice-versa). It is visible mostly in the menu because of the contrast with black and only if the lenses are very close to the eye. Seems like the left portion of the screen should be 1-2 pixels more to the left. 

For some reason the pictures are rotated 90° on the forum...

IMG_1823.JPG

IMG_1816.JPG

IMG_1814.JPG

Edited by antoinedrouin
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

In sweden when its snowing its really difficult too see, i mean like 'artificially' difficult. Its like a filter is being on top of the game and maybe it is, but if thats the case it could need a bit of tweaking. I saw a youtube video showing this but i cant find it right now. Its easy to try for yourself, sit in the car when its snowing and lean forward to the "window" and all of a sudden the picture becomes much better. I think the uploader mention HDR and theres a HDR setting in hardware_settings but it does not seem to do anything?

btw the game have made it from mostly negative to mixed in recent reviews on steam. Thats in the right direction!

Edited by somethingthing

Would be incredibly helpful for there to be a better option for screen mirroring in VR (with Oculus SDK), i.e. combining both eyes, instead of having each eye being rendered separately on the mirror screen. 

The menu screen is very washed out, and opening it in game is even worse. Either have the screen rendered closer or increase text size.

Fixing the drivers seat position is incredibly strange from car to car. You sit up awfully high in the Lancia  Delta S4 and can't lower the seating position at all, and for most cars it's really hard to get the steering wheel lowered enough. It would be great if you could make more "extreme" adjustments. 

When using the center VR position button it sits you unrealistically close to the wheel. It would be great if it kept your actual seating position and centered the view, rather than resetting everything. 

Other than the things I mentioned, things seem to be pretty nice using the Oculus SDK via STEAM. 

So after running with the Rift S with 1.9 for a while, I have two issues that I think should be resolved fairly quickly.

1. Rain effect on side windows. The side windows are barely see-through when it rains, and since you sit far back in the car it's close to impossible to see anything in the hairpins. Germany in heavy rain is like driving blind in the hairpins. This is clearly artificial, as I have never, ever, seen rain behave in that way on any kind of side window in real life.

2. Whiteout when it snows in Sweden. As the previous poster said, it's a bit over the top since it just blends into all white. This might be due to low resolution or something like HDR messing about, but it's really hard to see anything at all.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, deadredeyes said:

Would be incredibly helpful for there to be a better option for screen mirroring in VR (with Oculus SDK), i.e. combining both eyes, instead of having each eye being rendered separately on the mirror screen. 

Oculus has a mirror app within its folder, this shows the view from one eye only. Look in Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics. Here is some footage from that mirror app.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dytut said:

So after running with the Rift S with 1.9 for a while, I have two issues that I think should be resolved fairly quickly.

1. Rain effect on side windows. The side windows are barely see-through when it rains, and since you sit far back in the car it's close to impossible to see anything in the hairpins. Germany in heavy rain is like driving blind in the hairpins. This is clearly artificial, as I have never, ever, seen rain behave in that way on any kind of side window in real life.

2. Whiteout when it snows in Sweden. As the previous poster said, it's a bit over the top since it just blends into all white. This might be due to low resolution or something like HDR messing about, but it's really hard to see anything at all.

2. Try to lean forward to the windshield and see the difference. Thats not the low resolution because its a pretty substantial difference and its even further away than you lean so thats not the explanation. Its white when its snowing but this is something else that makes it so (extra) difficult to see.

19 hours ago, Dytut said:

Yes I can confirm on PC (no HDR). It's about fog appearance which is applied to scene in "heavy snowing" conditions. In conjunction with roads covered by a snow (some roads are whiter than others) it makes really difficult to see an incoming turn. It's like going blind literally. Why personally I'm for challenges, and I can imagine such hard conditions, I think it's overdone. WHat I found better in DR1 was less fog but more snowing. It could have been really hypnotic.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

Yes I can confirm on PC (no HDR). It's about fog appearance which is applied to scene in "heavy snowing" conditions. In conjunction with roads covered by a snow (some roads are whiter than others) it makes really difficult to see an incoming turn. It's like going blind literally. Why personally I'm for challenges, and I can imagine such hard conditions, I think it's overdone. WHat I found better in DR1 was less fog but more snowing. It could have been really hypnotic.

Maybe they can add a setting for that fog and have it enabled by default for 2d and maybe disabled by default for vr. Do you know if that HDR setting actually do anything? I really cant tell, tried 0.1, 1, 1.5, 2.0.

On 10/10/2019 at 5:03 PM, MaXyMsrpl said:

Same here, Sweeden stages with heavy snow are unplayable because everything is so overbright and white that you can barely see the road. It's the same feeling that driving at night stages with no lights. I played these same stages on Dirt Rally 1 and they were perfect. By the way, I had to purchase Steam version to get these stages, Oculus store app has no option to purchase DLCs.

Edited by JuanEtxeb

There are more stages in different locations which have a poor sight due to the "HDR"(??)-effect. For example Baumholder is sometimes very bright in VR. I had switched in the hdr-level in the hardware_settings_config_vr.xml to 0.1, but this didn´t help so far 🙁

Edited by Flens07

The HDR is really bad in VR and exasperated by headsets with a large vertical FOV (Index for me). This is due to seeing a lot more of the inside of the car where it is darker towards the foot-well and the HDR trying to compensate with an already bright exterior. If there is snow or sun it becomes unplayable. The constant variability due to HDR hurts immersion too. My number 1 please fix request.   

IMO there is no HDR in VR.

I may be wrong but HDR in DR2 refers to mode of output devices (TVs). And imo is not available for PC. And for sure not for VR.

What you mean is probably auto-exposure or tone mapping

Speaking about foot-wells there is something wrong with lighting too. Those areas are way too bright. 

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

17 hours ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

IMO there is no HDR in VR.

I may be wrong but HDR in DR2 refers to mode of output devices (TVs). And imo is not available for PC. And for sure not for VR.

What you mean is probably auto-exposure or tone mapping

Speaking about foot-wells there is something wrong with lighting too. Those areas are way too bright. 

Codies call it HDR in the hardware settings xml, but a better term would be Auto-Exposure, similar to the Assetto Corsa Post Processing Filter setting that automatically brightens and darkens the scene depending on how many dark/bright areas are visible. So if you are in VR and your viewpoint is from deep inside are dark cockpit, the Auto exposure brightens the whole scene and in the case of the snow locations, over exposes those already bright areas in your vision making it difficult to see.  As you move your head/view towards the windscreen, and away from the darker cockpit, the auto exposure reduces the overall brightness and reduces the exposure making the scene more visible.

I don't know for sure that this is what is happening, but that's what I imagine is going on.

Any word on a 2.0 version fixing/acknowledgement of the following problems:

- Auto exposure issues (reproduce: move forward in your seat)

- 6-bit colour gradients when using the Oculus SDK (start up a night stage)

- 45 FPS wheel and windscreen wiper animation (turn on windscreen wipers or turn your wheel)

Edited by furfoot

The animations on your co-driver are also the incorrect frame rate.

I turn off wheel animations in the options and it helps a lot.

Unfortunately the windshield wipers on rain stages are incredibly distracting and headache-inducing because of their stutter in VR

Edited by FlyinJ

What headset you're using: Oculus Rift S
What your PC setup/build is like (graphics card, processor etc.): i7 9700K, GTX 1080, 32 Gb RAM. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Whether you're a Standard or Deluxe user (Steam only): Deluxe user
Whether or not you have any non-standard peripherals connected, like steering wheels, gaming mice etc: G27 Wheel

---------

In addition to the aforementioned HDR/brightness/darkness error, I have this issue:

I usually put supersampling to 1.6 and ASW On (using OTT) but, sometimes, when I finish a track and return to menu and race again, supersampling changes to 0.0 (a lot of pixeled!!) and ASW to auto. SO I have to go out the game and entering again.

It often happens too when I change to another task in Windows (ALT+Tab) and click again in DR2.0 icon in task bar (by the way, sometimes if I do this, DR2.0 icon dissapears!!).

Regards!

Hi,
With the latest 1.9 update to VR the game runs really well for me, all the issues that where game breaking are pretty much resolved.

The only issue I have is the VR mirror aspect ratio, I cannot record decent videos with it as it is using Shadow Play.

I have attached an image that shows a bad aspect ratio but not only that it shows an image inside an image and offset.

• What platform you're playing on (Steam or Oculus). - Steam in Steam VR mode

• What headset you're using. HP Reverb

• What your PC setup/build is like (graphics card, processor etc.). Intel 9700k GTX1080 16GB

• Whether you're a Standard or Deluxe user (Steam only). Deluxe

• Whether or not you have any non-standard peripherals connected, like steering wheels, gaming mice etc. Fanatec DD1, Huesinkveld Sprint, TH8A and Handbrake(ebay)

here is a link to YouTube video 

DirtRally2VRMirror.png

Edited by Baartoomaa
extra info

Windows 10, Steam, Valve Index
RTX 2080 Ti, i7-9700K, 32Gb RAM

Deluxe, Steering wheel, H-shifter, sequential shifter, pedals, SFX-100 Motion platform

• Centering the VR position doesn't put me in the right position, it places me too low and a bit to the back. Seat adjustment height range isn't sufficient to fix it, so by trial and error I have to move my head to find the correct position.

• The center VR position isn't saved, I have to go to the process of finding the correct position after each restart (in the original DR the position was saved).

• After you've entered the car when you look sideways there's a strange black dot in the center of your VR vision.

• Although 1.9 improved the VR performance with SteamVR (Valve Index), there are still micro stutters while my GPU and CPU are nowhere near their limits. Performance seems hit and miss, sometimes I can run DR2 smooth with most settings in Ultra and high supersampling, other times I get microstutters with normal settings and no supersampling. I've tried many suggestions, but still can't pinpoint the cause. The original DR runs solid here with all settings to the max.
Edited by fac851