Sign in to follow this  

#FeedbackFriday 05/05/2015

Hey all,

As I must have said countless times this week thank you for everything this week. We've got a long road ahead of us but we're really happy with this first sector.

Just like everything you're feedback is really important and we are always listening but I wanted to ask your opinion on how we're doing so far.

We'd like to know how you think we're doing in the following areas :

• The Game - Have you played it? What do you think of it?

• Our communication - Are we talking enough? not enough? too much? are we saying the right things?

• How easy we are to find/follow? - Can you find all the info you want, when you want easily?

• This subreddit? What do you think? I know the sidebar is a bit shabby but I'll get that tidied up as soon as I've worked it out.

• Our response to bugs: So this week we have fixed an issue with the exe file, fixed Co-driver calls, solved a problem with the daily event. and we're working on FFB, Error 41 and other issues. I guess my question here is are we doing good enough for you? Keep in mind we're early access and we knew we would hit bumps (we just didn't know which ones)

• The website - have you visited dirtgame.com? Tried the leagues? Looked at your stats? Read a blog? - What do you think?

• Any thing else? - We're open to it all.

Please let us know what you think, I want us to be able to set the benchmark for how early access is ran and give you guys the experience you want over the next few months. We can only do that with your help.

Thanks again :)

I'm impressed with the game so far.  For early access it feels almost like a full release although a bit light on features and content as I'd expect.  The game has been perfectly stable on my system.  The gameplay is fun, a proper rally game.  I know it's already been mentioned elsewhere but the force feedback for wheels seems incredibly variable from stage to stage, this is the only real let down at the moment.  The cars are also a little floaty around the straight ahead which feels wrong to me.  I don't feel like I can attack stages and set the car up in to the corners to flow through.  It's more like I'm managing the speed carefully.  Still in terms of gameplay a very solid start.

Other features I enjoy:

The RPG element to the team management, this is good and actually makes me feel connected the chief and crew members as they improve.

The online challenges are excellent, more of these please.

Your communication seems good to me.  Such a quick first update was good to see, responsiveness build trust.  

Dirtgame.com is good, I've only used it to look at my stats (like that it's proper geeky) and find this forum so far.

Would be good to see some suggested setups or guides for the various stages because even as an experienced sim racer I'm struggling to set quick times.  Like the challenge bar being set high but I'd also like to know a bit more about how to improve. Maybe you could do some "how to" videos for setups and handling?

• The Game - Love it, best Codies Rally game and therefore possibly even best game, sure it can probably be tweaked to make it better still but yeah, awesome start point.

• Our communication - Dirt Rally needs its own forum, where people can have suggestions section, issues, car lists, map lists, league set ups etc, being part of the overall dirt series forum isn't ideal imo.

• How easy we are to find/follow? - It seems to be a little broken up between here, reddit and Steam forums, I'm not sure of the ideal answer here particularly if you are getting substantial traffic through each but for me the Codies forum should be the hub, but that's just my opinion and no doubt reddit users may disagree.

• This subreddit? - suggests this was posted there, haven't really looked at it.

• Our response to bugs:  Seems good so far, the key (as ever) is communication and consistency, lots of communication for a fortnight before going dark is no good, as much information for us as often as is required is the key imo

• The website - Seems nice, love the stat tracking etc.

• Any thing else? - Peugeot 306 Maxi please ; ) .......Now just launch the new TOCA (sorry *ahem Grid) game in the same way with the same mentality tin tops only :P

The Game - Seems great, only played it a little bit with keyboard and only in Custom mode, but it's really nice. Needs terminal crashes adding though!

Our communication - You're talking enough, but there's a lot more radio communication that causes your messages to get a bit buried (i.e. loads of people talking back!

How easy we are to find/follow? - That is more of an issue; should we be viewing Steam? Twitter? Facebook? Here? Blog? Reddit? General websites? There's lots of places to look...

This subreddit? I don't use Reddit as it seems like a bit of a confusing forum style chat mess!

Our response to bugs: It seems you're going the right way, but perhaps make a list of  "what we're working on" with a "what we may look at next" and possibly a "sorry but not looking at these" to put other ideas in there, as often people may request things and you don't even comment, so there's no clarity as to whether you would or wouldn't add what they're asking.

The website - Briefly visited the site

Any thing else? - Nothing I can think of right now

- Game feedback

It's the best game I've ever played!! I'm impressed how polished and how smooth it runs even on medium specs for an early access. The stages are narrow, technical with lot of cambers change, challenging and overall a pleasure to drive, they should be longer btw.

Now the bad side...gameplay is really fun but I think the car physics are not consistent. Subaru Impreza and Lancia Delta especially are too easy to drive and to recover from an oversteer and feels arcade. Metro 6R4 handling is to me the most realistic, it's absolutely perfect and should be the benchmark when it comes to 4WD physics and from where you should start from the ground up and optimize this physic for other cars. I also noticed that sometimes cars react oddly to roadside bumpy terrain in Wales.

I think 2010 cars like the fiesta should oversteer more...in wrc videos, we see this car attacking and flowing in corners like butter, weight transfer seems faster but deadly challenging at the same time. And the car should be much more powerful when accelerating from an hairpin and doing so should apply more oversteer/understeer?! It's really hard also for me to make a great slide using handbrake, it needs some work.

I think tarmac physics need really some more work also as it doesn't feel as realistic as Richard Burns Rally :/ but overall, the game is a pretty good start and much more than I would have ever anticipated. It's a game changer that is probably shaking the whole RBR community right now at the moment and it will certainly finally please all rally fans around the world for years to come. What a surprise release!

- Communication

I would like if you could make a post with comprehensive list of reply to all the suggestions listed in the first post of the feedback thread (some of them are really amazing) and tell us which of them you plan to prioritize so we know more where the game development will be focusing.

Telling us which of the suggested cars you would like the most to create for the game would be interesting to know.

I don't think I have anything else so just want to thank you for listening to community wishes, together we can build a better game!! it's really appreciated! ;)

• The Game - Driven 360+ miles now and every one has been a learning curve, I'd say the "pacenotes" need some fine tuning i have found myself getting to corners as/just before the notes have come through once or twice.
      FFB, the dead zone at the center is annoying, even with the slider at 0 its present.
      The layout of the "story" mode is birlliant, the co drivers, everything. I like that you cannot repair/change setup after every stage, its a nice touch!!

• Our communication - If you keep going as you are you will become a credit to the gaming community and a shining beacon of hope for pc gamers everywhere, between you (for the time being - don't let me down) rockstar and bohemia (forget dayz just arma 3) there is no devs taking quality for PC seriously. I applaud you guys. Keep it up.

• How easy we are to find/follow? - Honestly not that much into mass social media, i like facebook youtube and twitch, give me a youtube channel to follow and i'll be on it like a car bonnet.

• This subreddit? reddit?

• Our response to bugs: You seem to be fighting them proactively! I have had a few minor crashes but i think those were as much my fault as the games, so far i have been lucky and had nothing to complain about. The moment i do, i hope you are there to listen!

• The website - nope, i am sure it will be nice!

• Any thing else? - as above, i'd quite like to see a forum all to itself for dirt, perhaps create it on the back of the website! I'd like to be able to chit chat with the users in an area that feels more dedicated and tailored to the game that someplace that feels like its plonked on the back of another forum like an afterthought :smile: 

The Game
    Finally a rallygame i really like. The stages are pretty technical and nice to drive althoug i have the feeling that i have seen stages with the same parts in it, i don;t know iif it is on purpose or not. The cars handle quite good, but don't like the fwd cars but thats an opinion because i like oversteer XD.

Communication
    The communication is good on the website and forum, i think the tweets are sometimes to much though.

Response to bugs
    Haven't find any bugs yet. can't coment on that, but i see you guys fix the bugs that are noted quickly, so that is good.

The website
    It looks like a good overseeable website, Read some nice bloggs but haven't tried the leagues or looked at my stats.

Anything else?
    Not for now, i will check in next week i guess.

1st, thank you for making this game, just when i was completely bored to tears with gaming, whammo!! RALLY! yes! ha

GAME
    ok, 1st impressions were not good, i didnt like the overall feel of the cars, almost uninstalled, but there was alot of other things i really liked about the game, so i powered on through my initial feelings for the game....

graphics are excellent, lighting, wether conditions, night lighting, all spot on

the audio! finally were back to cm1&2 with an audio engine that gets the pulse racing, very very good audio, that 'crack' that the exhaust makes is puuuuurfect ha, almost zero wastegate sounds is a massive minus mind

the stage design, straight away i noticed real elements to the stages(sweetlamb bowl)  which is a welcome addition, but the other thing was, even on short stages, it felt like id done 15mins of driving, so even the short stages seemed long, the way the conditions change on stage(monte) 

the pacenotes, finally a game where the codriver doesnt lie through his teeth, although the timings can be slightly odd, im sure they will be perfected with time

the cars, all rally cars, all good, needs celicas and mitsy evos mind ;) and all WRC1997-2011

so for 1st day of playing, i was just hitting the group A and B cars, it was only after starting the career that the game came alive for me, the cars felt nervous, loose, fun, and terrifying a=t the same time, the more i play, the more i want to play, its addictive, and eventually, iv ended up at the group A and B again
    these cars feel like they have too much grip, or some of them do, however, changing to low grip tires fixed alot of the issues, im now enjoying driving the 4wd stuff, however, i still feel the physics need a small tweak, lower grip tires is a good start

replays are naff! the constant camera change and lack of broadcast type cameras needs to be addressed, im struggling to enjoy watching them without getting mad at some of the stupid camera changes

the FFB is naff, it needs an overhaul bottom line

clutch support for all gear modes needs to be added, 4wd cars need a clutch for proper execution of  hairpins with the current model

being able to change car settings without reloading the stage would be nice

COMMUNICATION 

all good, except for not telling us earlier about the game hahahaa

impossible to find on firefox hahahaa, subreddit is ok, response to bugs is quick, with good advice given and good level of news surrounding patches and bugs, website is abit sparse, main website is ok, coild do with a polish up 

the only other thing i want is an antilag option for the turbo cars, and better wastegate sounds,
    antilag should be an upgrade option for gpA and B cars, with it being standard fitment to everything after 1994/5, and should also be included into repairs, as a failing antilag system will effect times alot.

all in all, a B+, fix the FFB, audio(wastegate), and replay cameras, and its a AAA

keep up the very good work :)

MM  

• The Game - No, I haven't played it (don;t have a good enough computer for it), but I watched footage and read articles. It looks good. Though I would prefer a more realistic 'career' mode. Starting with a R1-R3 car. than step up to S2000/R4/R5 and than Pro (WRC). Next to that you can do historic championships. Now starting your career with 60's cars is not really my thing. Maybe at a calendar/season function with it where you have one main championship, and next to that you can do for example a local national championship with historic cars.

• Our communication - I think it is good at the moment. Maybe a bit more structure in the forum is o.k. A dedicated section for only bugs, wishlists, feedback on UI, sounds, etc. Maybe one topic where only CM employees can post, just to get a kind of overview. Ofcourse in each post there can be a link to each dedicated topic. 

Ofcourse your day 1 vlog had sometimes no sounds, but I guess you already knew that. So we could have missed some details about the game. Liked the vlog, an hour was nice for the launch one, but I think the next dev vlogs (if they will come) should be shorter and more specific.

• How easy we are to find/follow? - Already followed DiRT on some media, so no problem for me. 

• The website - Yes, I have visited. Looks good. But blogs like explaining the pacenotes should also be transformed in normal content of the website so it won't get forgotton (also that new people who joing can quickly see it).

• Any thing else? - Already posted feedback about the game itself in the big feedback list. Maybe try to communicate that everyone should try to post as detailed as possible. Sometimes I see stuff like "FFB is not good, fix it." which won't help you guys. 

• The Game // In my opinion you're doing right, I deinstalled RBR, because you guys deliver a really solid driving experience. Sure there are some little mistakes to the physics, but you're on a really good way to make a spot for all the rallye fans out there. Give us a little more complex setup (tyre choice, height of the car, braking power) and redesign the interface for stage previews (weather forecast!).
    • Our communication // It is really nice that you communicate on every possible channel, but as a few mentioned above, sometimes fewer channels are the way to get better feedback. In my opionion you should make an own forum with a few sub-categories (Bug-Reporting, Car Wishlist, Track-Wishlist, Physics, Leagues...)
    • How easy we are to find/follow? // Very easy, I'm using twitter and this forum (including dirtgame.com) to read all the news
    • The website // I love the stats, would like to see an app made out of this, eventually also useable as dashboard. I can imagine that many simracers with special chairs would appreciate that, too.
    • Anything else? // I read your timeline and I'm a bit worried that you will miss the rallye-part in a later stage of the game content. Don't get me wrong, having hillclimb and RX is very nice, but the main focus should stay at rallying. Eventually you could consider some kind of mod support (at least player generated liverys), that could be an argument for the many sim racers out there to make leagues and championships within your game for years (as the czech modding scene of RBR did).

Keep up the very good work, you're giving hope to all the fans waiting patiently for another great rally game since the release of RBR! And I played that game for hundreds of hours, I'm sure I will do so with Dirt Rally. Respect to your team for making such a great step towards all rallye fans!

Something I would like to add...would be nice to have a male co-driver for french language as well as making game menu language independant of the co-driver voice language, so if we want french menu but with an english co-driver, we can use both.

The Game - Have you played it? What do you think of it?

Ofcourse I played this game and I must say that it is very good. Nice graphics,the roads are fully realistic.

Our communication - Are we talking enough? not enough? too much? are we saying the right things?

Curentlly I like the communication on this forum.

How easy we are to find/follow? - Can you find all the info you want, when you want easily?

Yes, the information on this forum is clear and easy to find and understand, because the forum is simply created ;)

This subreddit? What do you think? I know the sidebar is a bit shabby but I'll get that tidied up as soon as I've worked it out.

This is a small thing that does not bother me.

Our response to bugs: So this week we have fixed an issue with the exe file, fixed Co-driver calls, solved a problem with the daily event. and we're working on FFB, Error 41 and other issues. I guess my question here is are we doing good enough for you? Keep in mind we're early access and we knew we would hit bumps (we just didn't know which ones)

Curentlly my biggest problem is FFB and I know this game is in early access , thats why it's important that you focus on FFB and steering wheel support.

The website - have you visited dirtgame.com? Tried the leagues? Looked at your stats? Read a blog? - What do you think?

I did visit dirtgame.com and I must say its simple and functional.

Any thing else? - We're open to it all
    I don't have any problems right now,when I do I will report them to you.

The Game is FANTASTIC!
    If we work together, we can become the biggest rally simulator. As Assetto Corsa is  for GT3 and GT1

I wish you'd start posting development blogs, maybe once a week, to address all the feedback the community already provided. So we get a sense that devs really do work on solving the issues and features posted here. And the general progression of the game. The first such blog should be about how you plan to revise ffb and handling. It won't be a one week solution.

An official post with solid information, as opposed the scattered post all across different threads. Or a forum sticky, where you post which issues are being worked on.

CTR69 said:
    I wish you'd start posting development blogs, maybe once a week, to address all the feedback the community already provided. So we get a sense that devs really do work on solving the issues and features posted here. And the general progression of the game. The first such blog should be about how you plan to revise ffb and handling. It won't be a one week solution.

An official post with solid information, as opposed the scattered post all across different threads. Or a forum sticky, where you post which issues are being worked on.
    Quote.

The Game: Graphically very pretty and atmospheric, love that you can select different conditions and time of day for each stage. Sounds are decent too, car selection is great so far (more official liveries would be nice). Haven't tried the career mode yet as i'll wait until we are further along with content. FFB needs to improve a lot though, right now many are altering the FFB file in the steam folder in order to get proper FFB, so that's the most important thing that needs sorting right now. Also Tarmac feel as many find that not convincing enough.
    Our communication: Great that you went this new route; early access and building a game with the help of community feedback is much more productive (and i guess more cost effective), than the traditional way of developing. You need to follow the WMD route though and create a dedicated forum for feedback, so threads are better structured and so is the feedback. The way it is now it will be a mess to keep things organized and there will be tons of double postings and threads in just one section.
    Our response to bugs: Just crawled aboard myself so too early to tell, but i guess fixing bugs with patches goes a lot easier on pc than on consoles anyway ;)

The Game: First off, this game is tremendously fun! As someone who is not a hardcore sim driver, I still have loads of fun racing through stages. One area I would really like to see a lot of time spent on is the Career. A lot of people want the most authentic rally experience you can provide, and the devs are clearly on the right track with things like Crews. Something that was kind of cool in DiRT 3 was acquiring your different sponsors, though the way it was done was no good. Instead of acquiring sponsorships through experience points, it would be kind of cool to have sponsorships approach you, allowing you to accept or deny. Then based off your current sponsorships, you'd have certain liveries available to you.

Our communication: I am a fan of the constant communication. Look at the game Warframe for instance. They had a year+ long beta and listened to their players the whole time. It's now one of the biggest games in it's genre. PLEASE don't stop communicating over these next few months.

Our response to bugs: You guys fixed the audio/HUD bug within about 24 hours. I couldn't be happier with that response time! Havn't came across any other bugs myself, so you can be happy to hear that from at least one person.

All in all, awesome game. Please keep up the communication with your players and by the time Early Access is over, I can almost guarantee this being the best Rally sim ever created 

The Game - Have you played it? What do you think of it?
    Played it, cannot currently because of 41^^. I like it very much. Still need to learn the tracks. It is hard but I like the challenge!

Our communication - Are we talking enough? not enough? too much? are we saying the right things?
    If you can keep it up like now it is perfect. Usually communication becomes less in last projects I partizipated in.

How easy we are to find/follow? - Can you find all the info you want, when you want easily?
    Where is the main location for sending feedback so you actually see it? I have some stuff I want to present.

This subreddit? What do you think? I know the sidebar is a bit shabby but I'll get that tidied up as soon as I've worked it out.
    subreddit? Didn't know there was one^^

Our response to bugs: So this week we have fixed an issue with the exe file, fixed Co-driver calls, solved a problem with the daily event. and we're working on FFB, Error 41 and other issues. I guess my question here is are we doing good enough for you? Keep in mind we're early access and we knew we would hit bumps (we just didn't know which ones) 
    It is always good if we are informed which bugs currently have the highest priority for you.

The website - have you visited dirtgame.com? Tried the leagues? Looked at your stats? Read a blog? - What do you think?
    Yes visited the site, just looks too much like an advertising site to me^^ and not like a site communicating actual development. I get my infos from this forum and steam.

Any thing else? - We're open to it all.
    I want the current VW rally car :). And there is problem for me remembering my favorite tracks. I will prepare a more detail statement about this. Basicly I cannot really distinguish the tracks via their native names since it is not my native language. The pictures of the stages do not help as they look too similiar for me.

Why is this a problem? Mostly I play single race and then I want to play my favorite stages.

What would help: A map view of the course from the current selected rally stage and length detail (in kilometres) and my best time (which car does not matter) on this stage (if available). Another way would be the possibility to mark my favorite tracks.

I'm sure codemasters work hard on physic.Dirt rally it will be better than RBS

STRENGTH CODEMASTERS !!!   DIRT RALLY WILL BE THE BEST SIMULATOR RALLY!!!  :D :D :D

I couldn't believe my eyes when I pulled up Steam this evening and there was a new Dirt game, right out of the blue, bought it practically sight unseen. I've just run four stages in Greece, playing as always on my weathered old 360 controller, so these are my first impressions:

• Feeling is everything in this series and I am absolutely floored by the way my little Fulvia handled. I was easily blowing through courses in Dirt 3 on the highest difficulty with no assists, but even in this trundling little antique I was getting thrashed. It's not because there's something wrong though -- it's because EVERYTHING is being modeled, the way your car leans on uneven surfaces, slides across gravel, tilts on it's suspension, the works. It was breathtaking! I can't wait to throw some of the 80's era cars down in Wales, it's going to be outrageously fun.
    • Graphically, things are already looking good, about on par with Dirt 3, which is fine by me. But, in terms of performance at that level, my computers really fighting for it's life. I've done some experimentation with the graphics settings, and it's the shaders that are kicking my little AMD Radeon 6770's butt. When I turn those down to ultra low, I can put everything else on high and still carry a steady 40 fps. (Yes, I know, it's time for an upgrade, but I'm having a tough time, you know? Gotta work with what I have.)
    • The sound is everything I expect of the series: crisp terrain effects, deafening engines, clattering machinery. Can't find anything to complain about.
    I've got a few little bugs to report, and of course I have lots of suggestions, but the foundation of this game feels rock solid, and that's how every Codemasters game I've ever played has felt, right back to the original Dirt.

So far I am enjoying the game very much I love how it has more of a sim vibe to it vs. other DiRT titles.  There are a few things I would like to see which I feel would improve the game even more.  What I can think of at the moment:

THE GAME:
    - Seat Adjustment!  We really need this.  Especially those who alter the FOV the ability to move the driver position would really help.  
    - Steering rotation in cockpit to match your wheel setting (better yet, car dependent and dynamically adjusted per real life car)
    - In the career, it would be nice to be able to replay stages.  I don't like the feeling of everything being permanent and no way to go back or view history.  Maybe we can replay them for more cash/upgrades even if the rewards are less.  
    - Would love to see an "Instant Replay" added to the pause menu.  Even just the last 30 sec but as it stands we need to either finish a stage or retire.  Also saving replays would be nice, and maybe a photomode.
    - The game is beautiful.  More freedom with camera controls would be awesome.  Free cam (ie. number keys control), switching to trackside, etc.
    - Car selection should have a car viewer where we can spin the camera and admire the car with different liveries, similar to before but preferably without going through a loading screen!
    - I know more cars are coming but we need EVO's!

The atmosphere of this game is brilliant - UI is simple and easy to access each menu,and also not so "entertaining" is good for rally. I like the sceneries of each stages too.These are so realistic and beautiful!

But I felt some uncomfortable sides at same time.

•  After the stage,we can see results - compare with AI,friends - but once we pass to next results like overall results,we cannot go back previous results.That's not good.
    • RIDICULOUS PACENOTES! - That's the worst part of this game...I think this game is specified with RALLY,right? But you cannot choose types of calls - like simple;complex;call number first;call direction first;numeric or word...etc. That's the most frustrating part in my mind. And all the voices of the calls ARE TOO FAST.You cannot listen all the stuff.If possible, please add some features like voice speed adjustment.
    Anyway,keep up the best work,Dirt Rally team.I really hope this game will be better than now.

Two flaws:
    Cars are similar too and sounds is unrealistic

FWD cars are way too twitchy on gravel. 

I also feel that on tarmac they're all way too grippy. 

I'm having to constantly change the driving aids' intensity to compensate....  And I would prefer to keep them all off.