Sign in to follow this  

setup question

on every track I can fight for pole with legend ai online and normally get it by 0.3sec to 0.7sec depending on the track. then some random guy posts a time 2-3 secs a lap faster than even the legend ai. is this right? is there a setup where I can go 2-3 secs faster. I have tried lots of different setups, tried with assists and without assists and the best I can do is 1 sec faster than Legend ai on options, oh yes I forgot to mention the guy going 2-3 seconds faster was on primes. I know there is some major corner cutting going on online but didn't think it would gain that amount of time.

Turn Off all Assists
Use a Wheel,

Use a setup from someone's guides and you will be sorted :) 

I am probably that guy, My setups allowing me to fly away from the pack, to the point thath I have won 12 races in a row :)

I can't say using a different setup will make a massive difference. I know a guy who has done many setup testing and a setup will 1-1 wings compared to 11-11 wings around average downforce tracks didn't make much of a difference in qualifying times.

Although getting that perfect setup can make the difference between winning and fighting for the last point in the race. On some tracks I can get 3-4 seconds quicker than legend AI in the race. I'll be sure to post some of my setups in the forum.

- Mystro

I use control pad, can do it with or without assists. why does a wheel make it faster? is there some mad wheel setting that gives extra grip or something. this game is ruined online as there are no fair races at all. even if you do 1 shot qualli with parc ferme on, everyone knows if you enter during qualli your previous race setup loads and you get an advantage over every person who qualified with the engineer setup, all these little things makes the game so frustrating online, hence why so few people actually play online now.

Mystro said:
I can't say using a different setup will make a massive difference. I know a guy who has done many setup testing and a setup will 1-1 wings compared to 11-11 wings around average downforce tracks didn't make much of a difference in qualifying times.

Although getting that perfect setup can make the difference between winning and fighting for the last point in the race. On some tracks I can get 3-4 seconds quicker than legend AI in the race. I'll be sure to post some of my setups in the forum.

- Mystro
I just tested out what you said, almost exact same time with 2 opposite engineers setups, 1 for dry 1 for wet and also with 2 of my custom setups, it doesn't make sense
:-q

You should try joining a league if you haven't already. Good racing, fun practice sessions, no cheats. If you're on Xbox try FCR, Fresh & Clean Racing - www.f1wwr.webs.com

I'm guessing you tested them for qualifying. Using different setups can make a much bigger difference in the race e.g. tyre wear can be significantly more or less when using different setups. I will give some basic race setup ideas:

Wings
Using a higher wing for both front and rear will give more grip, give less tyre wear but will make you more vulnerable in the straights.

Braking
Obviously you want to brake at the latest time without locking up. This is completely to your own preference, although a smaller brake disk can make the car feel more agile and easier to drive. However the braking distance will be longer.

Balance
Many people don't really know what the balance does to the car. I simply think this: higher balance will make the car very responsive but make the tyre wear much worse. Vice versa for a lower balance.

Suspension
I haven't done much with the ride height as I always use 1-1, but a higher stiffness will make the car more responsive and tyre wear worse. Almost the same effect as the balance.

Gearbox
This all completely depends on the wings you are running. What you will want is to make the car fast when not in slip stream or using DRS, but you also want enough room so you'll hit the rev limiter when in DRS or using slipstream nearer the end of the straight. You will want the gears to be close to one another, otherwise you won't maximise acceleration.

Alignment
The camber can make the difference between getting pole in Q but loosing too much tyre wear in the race, and getting a decent Q position while making your tyres last making you faster for longer in the race. I will almost always have the camber between -3.50, -3.00, and -1.50, -1.00. I always have my toe fully to the left for more stability in the corners.

Obviously this is a very basic guide and I could write tonnes more about how each setting can effect other settings, but hope this ultimately helps out!

- Mystro

I don't have a problem with tyre wear I can make the tyres last long enough at each track its just the outright pace a few certain people have over others, from what im hearing on here its all to do with steering wheel compared to pad, I don't understand why the steering wheel gives you so much extra pace, I guess I wont know until I decide to buy a wheel. im not a pro gamer or in a league so don't see the point of getting a wheel as I have been able to compete with some of the fastest online with the previous 3 games.  what gets me the most is that codemasters don't seem bothered at all about it at all.

It's not just about the wheel or pad. I race in a league and some of the fastest drivers have been pad users. Some people just prefer the pad whle others are more at home with the wheel.

Sometimes you have to accept that there are drivers out there that are just plain faster than you and nothing you can do setup wise will change that. I race in a league (http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/forums/x360-f1-championship.114/) where we have drivers of different pace, some are damn quick while others are not so quick but it's all clean and fair racing and that is the most important thing. The lobbies unfortunately have too many people that are happy to take every advantage the game allows (corner cuts, illegal moves, etc) so you should find yourself a decent league where you can settle in and race against people who race fair and clean and thbere you will find people of your own pace to compete against.