Sign in to follow this  

Tarmac Physics = Dirt Physics?

Just been watching Jimmy's couple of videos of GRID and im a little concerned about the Physics on tarmac. Problem i see is cars sliding  all over the place n so the physics seem extremely slidey almost like the physics are lifted from DIRT's gravel tracks but toned down a little to try and resemble tarmac? Hopefully still a work in progress and grip levels still need adjusting. Thoughts dev team or anyone thats played it early? 

Do any of the different teams share information/assets ? I know they have their own issues to worry about for each game but if so......would explain alot.

5 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

Just been watching Jimmy's couple of videos of GRID and im a little concerned about the Physics on tarmac. Problem i see is cars sliding  all over the place n so the physics seem extremely slidey almost like the physics are lifted from DIRT's gravel tracks but toned down a little to try and resemble tarmac? Hopefully still a work in progress and grip levels still need adjusting. Thoughts dev team or anyone thats played it early? 

If that's true then we're talking about remake of GRID 2 lol

On 10/1/2019 at 2:03 PM, FLAW3D said:

The original Grid had slidy physics. It is unique in its own way. This is bringing it back to the OG grid. It’s supposed to be like that. It isn’t a simulator. 

2 hours ago, Bluestig said:

The original Grid had slidy physics. It is unique in its own way. This is bringing it back to the OG grid. It’s supposed to be like that. It isn’t a simulator. 

I dont remember the original grid being so slidey and i loved it. Also wasnt the original grid simcade with the emphasis on fun?

This reboot full on arcade?

On 10/1/2019 at 3:03 PM, FLAW3D said:

Bro he is not driving 50mph he is racing on the limit and breaking traction/grip angle everywhere of course you start to slide. How much depends on the driver.

Edited by Ak1504

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

I watched a the couple of Super GT's videos someone else posted on here, He's a chase camera guy, A rammer and corner cutter. Nothing he says should be took seriously for us that are hoping for a simcade game. :classic_biggrin:

You can have my experience if you want then 😉 

Controller, all assists off, all difficulty options set to maximum.

I've driven all of the Vehicle Classes briefly (few laps at Silverstone) as part of something I'm working on for my Xbox club:

• It'll be easy to get the hang of most cars after a few laps, but will take a while longer to master any of them.
  • Tuning setups for all classes seem good right out of the box, no cars are “undriveable” without tuning.
  • The cars seem to have a lot of front-end grip. Steering is very direct; you'll get it into the corners easily though you can still overdo it and understeer wide. Find the balance and you’re rapid.
  • You'll have a lot of confidence in the faster cars thanks to their aerodynamic grip, though they’re not always on rails either, so don’t go beyond the limits.
  • In some cars (most notably the Group 7 Specials) you need to be real careful on the throttle until you're in 4th gear, as they have so much power. Easy to snap the rear end out of your’e not paying attention.

It's very pick-up-and-play, but rewards skill and practice, which is good* 🙂

I feel fast and confident right away, but it'll still take me some time to really get used to the details and chase those top times.

* (this isn't a biased opinion either, I play, like and complete plenty of non-Codies racing games too 😉)

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

I've driven all of the Vehicle Classes briefly (few laps at Silverstone) as part of something I'm working on for my Xbox club:

• It'll be easy to get the hang of most cars after a few laps, but will take a while longer to master any of them.
  • Tuning setups for all classes seem good right out of the box, no cars are “undriveable” without tuning.
  • The cars seem to have a lot of front-end grip. Steering is very direct; you'll get it into the corners easily though you can still overdo it and understeer wide. Find the balance and you’re rapid.
  • You'll have a lot of confidence in the faster cars thanks to their aerodynamic grip, though they’re not always on rails either, so don’t go beyond the limits.
  • In some cars (most notably the Group 7 Specials) you need to be real careful on the throttle until you're in 4th gear, as they have so much power. Easy to snap the rear end out of your’e not paying attention.

I feel fast and confident right away, but it'll still take me some time to really get used to the details and chase those top times.

* (this isn't a biased opinion either, I play, like and complete plenty of non-Codies racing games too 😉)

Have you managed to have a shot with a wheel?

• Like 1

The driving physics in Codies games since about 2003 have always had very similar characteristics. 

You can see in videos, the handling is very floaty in this game. The cars pivot from their center. It's very awkward.

Not to offend Codies, this game will be fine and fun. But, as a consumer, do not go into this game expecting anything remotely sim like. 

7 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

Not yet.

10 hours ago, PJTierney said:

•  The cars seem to have a lot of front-end grip. Steering is very direct; you'll get it into the corners easily though you can still overdo it and understeer wide. Find the balance and you’re rapid.

Good to hear all of this, Grid has generally always been a game for everybody suitable to pick up and play every now and again or spend 1000's of hours (for me it was well over 3000 including 667 hours in Grid 1 after the game came to steam, only 335 in Grid 2 and 1200 in GAS), Grid 2 I abandoned largely because of it's more arcade/NFS drift to win style (but thats just personal preference loads of people loved it and think it's the best game in the series) GAS I abandoned after myself and several others who topped the tables in the racenet weekly events were deliberately targetted for destruction in game, publicly accused in the forums (Which Codemasters stamped on very hard thankfully), also on Youtube because we were "Impossibly good so HAD to be cheating" funny thing was the idiots choosing to target us were themselves using cheats.

Youtube thankfully shut down said channels in the long run but it took a while and you had to actually find the vids and complain directy to YT, personally it was more the destruction of almost every car I'd leveled up to maximum through clean driving and kept in as close to pristine condidtion as possible, I liked the damage buildup over time which was a great idea until it became a weapon for such idiotic behavior caused by nothing but jealousy and a lack of understanding of how to race. 

I remember in 1 of this "persons" vids watching myself and a line of friends lapping the accuser at at Istanbul in a 7 lap race and you could see him braking at each of the 4 consecutive left hand turns before the short run to the 1st back straight as we flew round the outside of them treating all 4 as 1 long corner. He posted the vid on YT and ranted about ALL of us on the forums...

Even after I made the effort to explain where he was going wrong and how to improve he continued.... I even went to the length of producing a vid to show the difference No joy sadly He ignored all the advice and evidence after which we repported him and you guys closed the thread and I beleive he was also banned for breaching the code of conduct. Here's the vid for anyone interested (It's in eyefinity though).

As I said it was handled in the forums with the usual speed and alacrity I've come to expect here in the forums, yet I'm deeply curious to know how such in game behavior (i.e. deliberate attacks, cheating and glitched times on the leaderboards) are going to be handled? 

Personally I'd like to see people like this get banned from online multiplayer based on the severity/number of instances, say week bans followed by progressively longer bans for repeat/persistant offenders and the removal of eronuious or cheat times from the boards. A similar system in Forza has generally worked to eliminate cheaters from the game but I think a blanket 30 year ban for a single offence is a tad harsh.

9 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

Jimmy Broadbent made a couple of great vids of Grid 2019 but the 1st he was using a controller stating Grid 1 was arcade so he played it on controller all the time, He later went on to make a shorter vid actually using a wheel and seemed pleasently surprised by how good it was with a wheel..

He seems extremely optimistic about the handling whilst it looks like he's having a right giggle playing with a massive "Grid grin" on His chops and only very mildly critical whilst acknowledging the game ISN'T a full bore simulator pointing out the benefits of using a wheel whilst doing so..

I'm really optimistic myself thanks to Jimmy's vid and can't wait for Tuesday and I'll be sat here at midnight, praying there's no massive day 1 patch to delay me getting into the game ASAP. Either way I'm expecting great things and good times ahead..... Despite my other concerns. 😁

See you all out there.....

I have watched hundreds of videos on Grid in the past few months, from various YouTube channels. Most of which are playing chase cam, and using a controller. That said, the overall feedback has been very positive. I think this game is going to be an absolute blast. The graphics look incredible, the car choice is awesome, the tracks look phenomenal - all of which culminates in to major FUN. Yes, fun. Let’s be honest, some games manage to recreate many things well, but fall well short in fun factor - and people (and those games), take themselves way to seriously. This game has a wide appeal, and promises to deliver on all fronts from pleasing the casual player all the way through the hardcore crowd. My fav racing game from years gone by was PGR3, and I find this game is very reminiscent of that, with some additional elements sprinkled in. I love the fact that the tuning aspect is de-emphasized. The game is about the game itself - it does not only reward those who spend countless hours tuning on a per track and per car basis. 

I have not been this excited for a racing game in years, and from what I can see thus far, it is exactly what I have been yearning for since PGR. I like other racing games, but they leave me disappointed in some ways and lack the immediate playability and instant fun factor. The game is arcade enough to be easy to get in to, but sim enough to reward driving excellence.

October 8th can’t come soon enough! 🤗

Edited by Buckwilder
  • Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:03 PM, FLAW3D said:

Hey 🙂 

Short version: I'd probably say overall it's slightly more slide-y than your sim-focused titles, but that still depends on your driving style and the assists you choose to use. In classic GRID style, we give you a little leeway to get the car sideways without it ruining your race, but there's certainly differences between the cars and setups you choose to use. 

Always say regarding car handling or 'physics' that you can't fully assess it until it's in your hands 🙂