Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Race strategy tyre selection

Question to CM how do I make sure I am not given worn tyres in the race?

My normal Q1 to 3 goes like this.

Q1 hard if I know it can easily get through (hard tyre selection)

Or 

Q1  soft and get a decent position not pushing to hard.(balance tyre selection)

Q2 in med yellow to start the race. (Don't use Q2 soft , if I need a S use Q1 soft)

Q3 S of course.

Now I still have a Soft that not used .

In the race I start on med say 25% race but when it comes to putting on new soft, I get a worn soft?🤦🏽‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️

Do I have to set it in the race selection screen before I start the race to use the unworn soft or is this just another bug that CM has not fixed yet?

Why would a team put on a set of used soft or any used tyre if there is an unused 1 available?🤔 

I am sure I seen this in another thread 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I also wonder about this and also have a bunch of other questions regarding initial weekend tire selection. 

Hope some of you seasoned career vets can chime in

3 minutes ago, Skye68 said:

I also wonder about this and also have a bunch of other questions regarding initial weekend tire selection. 

Hope some of you seasoned career vets can chime in

I semi new myself I stopped playing F1 back in 2015 came back 2 PS4 beginning of this year and I have to say in that big time gap nothing has changed same bugs and lack of CM support.

This is the same tyre bug is from 2015 I remember people talking about it..

it's like the game is made in modules that each year is reused and only display and graphics change modules change.

The core of the game is the same.

Hi @Hygradeb, is there a specific game mode that you are seeing this in? 

It is worth noting that you can check the state of the tyres that your team will attempt to put on at the next pit stop by viewing the 2nd tab of the MFD while in a race. 

A used set of tyres will appear like below:                                                                         A new set will appear like below:

Used Icon.jpgNew Icon.jpg

Does this help at all?

You start the race on the tires you qualified with in Q2 as in real life. So, use fresh tires on Q2.

Edited by DaleRossi

I never noticed that. Usually you're only look I g at the MDF for a split second at a time during a race or you hit the wall! Good to know.

On 10/2/2019 at 1:00 PM, RedDevilKT said:

It is worth noting that you can check the state of the tyres that your team will attempt to put on at the next pit stop by viewing the 2nd tab of the MFD while in a race. 

A used set of tyres will appear like below:                                                                         A new set will appear like below:

Does this help at all?

@RedDevilKT

Are you saying the tyres look different new & old in the MFD?

I will try & see the difference, the icons are so small so it will be hard to view we need bigger icons or Jeff telling us.

In Your pictures is the S tyres old and the med tyres new?

See this type of things is why we need some type of manual I have never noticed that before.

Ques:

why are the unused tyres not automatically picked 1st?

I would only expect to use the worn tyres if no new 1s available.

On 10/2/2019 at 2:11 PM, DaleRossi said:

You start the race on the tires you qualified with in Q2 as in real life. So, use fresh tires on Q2.

@DaleRossi Yes I know this,

in the race I started on Med which was used for 2 laps in Q2, I think I mentioned that.

I used 1 soft in Q1 not two and 1 soft in Q3

I was expecting to have 1 new soft & a new hard for the race.

1 minute ago, Hygradeb said:

Yes exactly that. The game should select the set of tyres with the least wear for your compound of choice. In the instance where I took those images, I followed your steps exactly in terms of tyre usage. I started the race on the Q2 mediums (meaning a new set available for the race) and then switched to a new set of softs - I then had to pit again in order to see the tyres in the state on the image on the left. These were the set of tyres with the lowest amount of wear from qualifying stages, the mediums in this instance choose the new set as opposed to the ones that I started the race on. 

In summary: the system does select the tyre with the lowest wear for that compound. 

• Like 1

@RedDevilKT You said you had to pit again to see the tyre state. 

How I found out my tyres were old, was when I leaving the pit during my 1 pit stop. I was going through my MDF to change my eng g ers settings while I was driving along the pit lane to get back in the race.

That's when I saw my was a old set of Soft, you are looking at the down force page not the tyre wear page.

I was trying to find the other post I saw with the same issue, I am sure I reply to him but can't find it...

I will try & check in my next race if I remember & take pictures of both the component wear page & the down force page...

I do have another tyre questions but that can wait until this is sorted...

3 hours ago, Hygradeb said:

@RedDevilKT

Are you saying the tyres look different new & old in the MFD?

I will try & see the difference, the icons are so small so it will be hard to view we need bigger icons or Jeff telling us.

See this type of things is why we need some type of manual I have never noticed that before.

Ques:

why are the unused tyres not automatically picked 1st?

I would only expect to use the worn tyres if no new 1s available.

@DaleRossi Yes I know this,

in the race I started on Med which was used for 2 laps in Q2, I think I mentioned that.

I used 1 soft in Q1 not two and 1 soft in Q3

I was expecting to have 1 new soft & a new hard for the race.

Ah, I see. It does seem a bit arbitrary how they do tires sometimes. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, RedDevilKT said:

Yes exactly that. The game should select the set of tyres with the least wear for your compound of choice. In the instance where I took those images, I followed your steps exactly in terms of tyre usage. I started the race on the Q2 mediums (meaning a new set available for the race) and then switched to a new set of softs - I then had to pit again in order to see the tyres in the state on the image on the left. These were the set of tyres with the lowest amount of wear from qualifying stages, the mediums in this instance choose the new set as opposed to the ones that I started the race on. 

In summary: the system does select the tyre with the lowest wear for that compound. 

My race was 100% in career with Merc team. Track was Silverstone.

I will try again in my next race and if I remember ill take pictures @ the pit stop b4 and after.

I will also try and find the other post that had similar problem.                                I noticed if I am not wrong you checked the tyres after doing a lap? I noticed the problem as I was coming out the pit lane after a tyre change. So the tyres only had pit lane length of tyre wear.

Are you a CM support person if u are it's nice to see you helping...

13 hours ago, Hygradeb said:

My race was 100% in career with Merc team. Track was Silverstone.

I will try again in my next race and if I remember ill take pictures @ the pit stop b4 and after.

I will also try and find the other post that had similar problem.                                I noticed if I am not wrong you checked the tyres after doing a lap? I noticed the problem as I was coming out the pit lane after a tyre change. So the tyres only had pit lane length of tyre wear.

Are you a CM support person if u are it's nice to see you helping...

When looking at my tyres in those images, I did so immediately after entering the pit lane exit. I made sure that the correct tyres were put on by looking the screen where the wear is visible - I took the images on the downforce screen as that has the difference in tyre visibility there. Looking at the wear, it was exactly as I was expecting each time I put on a different set (I went in multiple times on consecutive laps to check easier), so for example I had the new sets from race/quali for the softs and then any other set I put on had the lowest wear from my qualifying sets which I checked through that specific screen on the MFD after having written down the respective wear on each set. If you do manage to find a combination where it is choosing the incorrect set, then I'll be happy to look at it again and see if I can recreate it. 

On 10/2/2019 at 3:00 PM, RedDevilKT said:

Does this help at all?

I cannot see anything other than one set is softs and one is mediums. Is it some colour-coded thing or something?

@janbonator The difference here is that the used set of tyres (image on the left) has a coloured icon with black accents where as the new set (image on the right) has a black background with coloured accents. Both colours relate to the compound colour. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RedDevilKT said:

@janbonator The difference here is that the used set of tyres (image on the left) has a coloured icon with black accents where as the new set (image on the right) has a black background with coloured accents. Both colours relate to the compound colour. 

Thanks! So, if a tyre is worn, it will have black accents? At what point of tire life do the colours change, and is there a difference between, say, a tyre set with 10% wear and a tyre set with 20% wear?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, janbonator said:

Thanks! So, if a tyre is worn, it will have black accents? At what point of tire life do the colours change, and is there a difference between, say, a tyre set with 10% wear and a tyre set with 20% wear?

@RedDevilKT like I said it's hard to see and now you shown us people are going to think what more is there that's hard to see.

@janbonator. Before I knew about this and I still do 8s check the wear screen in the MFD since CM has not made it possible to view otherwise especially in cockpit view.

Very good question @janbonator I hope we get a good answer 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, janbonator said:

The difference kicks in as soon as the tyres have been used on the car, there is no set percentage in which they change from what I'm aware. It is just simply, have they been used on track on the car. There is no further difference beyond new (0%) and used ( >0). 

I have passed on feedback regarding the steering wheel display information as per another thread.

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, RedDevilKT said:

The difference kicks in as soon as the tyres have been used on the car, there is no set percentage in which they change from what I'm aware. It is just simply, have they been used on track on the car. There is no further difference beyond new (0%) and used ( >0). 

I have passed on feedback regarding the steering wheel display information as per another thread.

@janbonator   I guess the MFD is best because it covers all 4 wheels.

Edited by Hygradeb

17 hours ago, Hygradeb said:

@janbonator   I guess the MFD is best because it covers all 4 wheels.

Yeah, you're right in terms of current tyres. I was just wondering if it was possible to know the wear of the next tyre set.

Nice idea to save wrong tyre choice or give other options...

The icon would need to stand out more or we would have the same problem we do with racing lane made by tyre on the track in the dry it's there but you just can't see it enough to be useful.