Dirt Rally 2.0 Setup Analyzer

Posted (edited)

Hi, I wrote a little program that makes tuning more efficient. You can e.g. see how much you hit the bump stops and whether the gears are used equally.

Just download, unzip and run along DR2. The tool is free and open source:
https://github.com/ErlerPhilipp/dr2_logger

If there's anything unclear with the setup or usage, I'm happy to help. Just contact me or open an issue in the Github project. Also, please share your ideas for better plots.

I hope it's useful. For me, it is 🙂

PS: It should also work with other Codemasters games, especially Dirt Rally 1.

rpm.png

suspension.png

Edited by Snakety
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This looks really interesting, looking forward to having a play. 👍

Posted (edited)

I was actually looking for something like this. Where you can see the effects on the vehicle in real time. Like Forza's. Downloading now.

Okay, After disabling AVG and some other AVG thing. I got to a command prompt. Could you give instructions on how to capture and what to do? NEVERMIND! haha

How to Use

1. Enable UDP data for Dirt Rally 2.0
    1. Open the hardware_settings_config.xml (by default in "C:\Users\ [username] \Documents\My Games\DiRT Rally 2.0\hardwaresettings\hardware_settings_config.xml")
    2. Set udp enabled="true"
    3. Set extra_data=3 to get all information
    4. Set ip="127.0.0.1" to keep the information on localhost
    5. Set port=20777 (you would need to change the port in the dr2logger every time otherwise)
    6. Set delay="1" so that DR2 ends the current car state at 100 FPS (important for derived values)
    7. Example:
      <motion_platform>
          <dbox enabled="false" />
          <udp enabled="True" extradata="2" ip="127.0.0.1" port="20777" delay="1" />
          <custom_udp enabled="false" filename="packet_data.xml" ip="127.0.0.1" port="20777" delay="1" />
          <fanatec enabled="false" pedalVibrationScale="1.0" wheelVibrationScale="1.0" ledTrueForGearsFalseForSpeed="true" />
      </motion_platform>
  2. Download and unzip dr2logger.zip archive
  3. Run the dr2logger.exe while you play DR2
  4. After each race, the logger will save the current data
  5. At the start of a race, the logger will delete the old data
  6. Switch (Alt+Tab) from DR2 to the logger to create the plots
  7. Remarks:
    1. You can edit the settings.ini to change the path for automatic session saves. Also, you can modify the input ip and port as well as the output ip and port. This way, the logger can receive the UDP data from DR2 and forward it to other telemetry tools. I tested it with the DiRT Telemetry Tool.
    2. Don't save, load or analyze your run while the race is running. Otherwise, data might get lost. Pausing the race is sufficient.
    3. This tool will probably work with other racing games by Codemaster, for example Dirt Rally 1 and Dirt 4. Those games use the same datastructure for the UDP packages. However, I didn't test it. Other racing games with UDP output, such as Project Cars, will require trivial changes in this tool's networking code.

dr2logger You should see this amazing command-line window.

Edited by eightydee

It would be great, if udp telemetry worked in PS4... 😭

9 hours ago, bn880 said:

Hate to tell you this, but you're reinventing the wheel a bit here,  RaceTrack Data Acquisition allows you to do this and hundreds more things by utilizing MoTeC https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/racetrack-data-acquisition-rda.26829/

Thanks for the hint, I'll check it out. I knew about MoTeC but not RDA. Doesn't MoTeC cost money?

4 hours ago, danielofifi said:

Awesome. Now please make it work on PS4 😉

Seems like Codemasters don't like to reuse code... https://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/comments/b4hgxy/codemasters_please_add_udp_telemetry_to_dirt/
If you can enable UDP on consoles one day, you could set the target IP to some device in your local network (instead of 127.0.0.1 for localhost). In theory, you should then be able to get the data and plots on Windows, Linux and Android devices in your WIFI or LAN.

2 hours ago, Snakety said:

Thanks for the hint, I'll check it out. I knew about MoTeC but not RDA. Doesn't MoTeC cost money?

MoTeC data loggers cost money, not the viewers.

Posted (edited)
On 10/3/2019 at 2:35 PM, bn880 said:

MoTeC data loggers cost money, not the viewers.

Your RDA seems pretty cool but I can't import the logs in MoTeC. "This Version of i2 only supports Pro enabled files". Maybe, there is a version mismatch. The i2 version you suggest in the readme is not available anymore.

Edited by Snakety

21 minutes ago, Snakety said:

Your RDA seems pretty cool but I can't import the logs in MoTeC. "This Version of i2 only supports Pro enabled files". Maybe, there is a version mismatch. The i2 version you suggest in the readme is not available anymore.

Yeah, check RaceDepartment for it 🙂

I think there is still a place aside the RDA for my tool. I see it as a (simple) end-to-end solution.

I'll rather stick with my tool, at least while it's fun.