Is there any chance DIRT 2/3 handling will return in the future?

21 minutes ago, richie said:

The rally video's still there to watch for everyone. The evidence is there, how someone still can go on with that nonsensical narrative, is beyond me. Rally cars are stable. They're even more stable than in DR2.0. 

You mean the video with some nice jumps in modern WRC cars? And you thought I was cherrypicking? There are tons of videos showing exactly what I'm talking about. Go on youtube and enjoy yourself.

Yep, I mean those nice modern WRC cars. We have similar modern rally cars in the game. They do not handle as nice as the real thing, though. I don't know about you but I crash a lot, lose control, spin out, barrel roll, slide off cliffs or wrap my car around trees. It seems you don't. It's fine. I'm out. 

Edited by richie

30 minutes ago, Gregow said:

You mean the video with some nice jumps in modern WRC cars? And you thought I was cherrypicking? There are tons of videos showing exactly what I'm talking about. Go on youtube and enjoy yourself.

Actually, as you're the one complaining and he's the one who doesn't understand what you're talking about, it would be far better if you were the one to post video footage showing what you're complaining about.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, richie said:

Yep, I mean those nice modern WRC cars. We have similar modern rally cars in the game. They do not handle as nice as the real thing, though. I don't know about you but I crash a lot, lose control, spin out, barrel roll, slide off cliffs or wrap my car around trees. It seems you don't. It's fine. I'm out. 

First of all, we got R5 cars. Quite different from WRC cars. Heck, watching the latest Wales rally the commentator even mentioned the JWRC/R5 cars as not being as easy to jump as the WRC cars.

Second, I never claimed I don't crash a lot. That's completely beside the point. My argument has never been "you should crash more", it has been that the game does not present certain challenges and that it's dumbed down. Challenges that certainly would lead to a number of interesting ways to crash, but I'm not asking for Dirty Tree Huggers 2.0.

Edited by Gregow

10 minutes ago, SkiddyMcCrash said:

Actually, as you're the one complaining and he's the one who doesn't understand what you're talking about, it would be far better if you were the one to post video footage showing what you're complaining about.

Okeydokey, enjoy.

18 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

Debatable. This one is all going to come down to if its a normal person in a normal road car with zero IRL rally driving experience. To an actual rally driver in a spec rally car. Its a known fact that rally drivers tend to use techniques that unstick the rear of the car, to a point, on loose surfaces. In order to avoid understeer. And no matter which way you cut it, you have to do similar in Dirt Rally in order to avoid said understeer. I am not saying the physics simulation in Dirt Rally is perfect, because no racing game is. But the fact remains, you have to use real world rally driving techniques in order to do well.[/quote]

I'm not talking about unsticking the rear or sliding the car. It's quite true that's actually how you drive fast on loose surfaces. No argument there. What I'm talking about is that the inputs would actually not match and that DR2 is playing very nice with you. The inputs in the first Dirt Rally were actually a better match to reality, although that game was otherwise a lot more flawed.

I agree you would have to use real world rally driving techniques, at least to some extent. There are some exploits you can use in the game that I certainly would not like to try in a real car. Like turn the wheels 90 degrees in a fwd car and floor it, and somehow it turns nicely. Aside from such weirdness, please don't try left foot braking and pendulum turns in real life without first practicing in a safe environment. The physics are sort of there and quite intuitive in the game, but you'll have an accident if you try that in a real car.

Things like this is also where you'll notice the center pivot and how the tires interact, or don't interact, with the surface. There's a clear discrepancy between the game and reality.

Not to mention, of course, just the fact of going really fast on gravel roads. In a real car, when you pick up speed, it's something like a hovercraft but you still feel the tires making contact with the surface. Bumps can be really unsettling, if you don't just fly over them. By braking or turning you can make the tires bite down (this part is pretty well done in the game, I think), and by going over that threshold you can maintain a nice slide (not as well replicated in the game).

18 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

I dont get it, this all happens in Dirt Rally also. Take the water ditch on Bindo Moorland at the bridge for example. You hit that wrong, you are off into the fences on the opposite side. Or at the very least, facing the wrong direction. Sometimes with some form of vehicle damage. Same goes for the water splash when you first enter the sweet lamb complex. That can throw you all over the place if you hit it wrong or with too much speed, from either side. Catch the snow banks on Sweden wrong, and you are going to damage the front of your car and have a potentially bad run. So again, it all depends on how you attack it.

If I am doing a time trial run, I go flat out. I drive as hard as I can, and push for anytime extra time I can manage to scrape together. Often resulting in mutiple ruined runs. Hitting a jump wrong, catching the edge of the track in an undisirable place, even braking too late. All often cause some form of loss of control. If I am running a Dirt Daily/weekly event, I tone my driving down so not to risk incurring damage or losing time from spinning out. Since I cant just reset and try again. Same goes for career. So I drive much more conservativly. So it is still all a matter of how far you are willing to push in a given situation.

On a control pad, all you get is tactile feedback from the rumble motors. It is still feedback, but FFB usually equtes to the sensations sent to a force feedback racing wheel. Either way, that tactile feedback still helps; and is quite good in Dirt Rally.

Yes, it happens but it's tame. As a comparison, play through rally school in RBR and compare the school stage to the fords in Wales. In this case RBR got it more right than DR, and it should be pretty obvious once you try it. While you're at it, notice that while you can go for maximum attack in both games they are quite different in how you measure and control the pace.

Please stop it now! Someone misunderstood what i said.
i didn't say anything about hardcore simulation - i've just told you that hardcore players like DR series more than casual players, who love Dirt 2/3/4.
That's all. case Closed. Now please Go back to your steeringwheels :classic_biggrin:

59 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

Does anyone remember what was topic about? :classic_biggrin:

You can't learn to play the game? 😄

Yes, I can't! 😭 
(Or no, I can't? What version is correct?)

But the most important part - I don't want to learn if handling doesn't bring fun. GRID2/3 also wasn't for NFS players and demanded some skills. But not TOO MUCH skills.

I'm not saying we don't need SIMs. But we also need arcades.
-----

Edited by lastbreath
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, lastbreath said:

Yes, I can't! 😭 
(Or no, I can't? What version is correct?)

But the most important part - I don't want to learn if handling doesn't bring fun. GRID2/3 also wasn't for NFS players and demanded some skills. But not TOO MUCH skills.

I'm not saying we don't need SIMs. But we also need arcades.
-----

• technically, "No, I can't" is the correct one. because you're answering the question they asked.
  • but "Yes, I can't" is also acceptable these days because you are agreeing with them (and kind of ignoring that they asked you a question).

if you're like Johnnnn asking the question you just have to figure it out what they meant by context, or just asking them. it's a bloody nightmare sometimes lmao sooooo yes, this creates unnecessary confusion, even among native english speakers.

• Like 1

Logic in my language is simple:

He asks if I can't. And I really can't. That's why I have to agree with him: YES, I can't. So agreement determines usage of YES/NO.

While in english:

Can you? No, I can't
Can't you? No, I can't - the same answer on opposite questions. Logic says different questions should have different answers! :classic_biggrin:

It always confuses me ))
-----

Edited by lastbreath