Why water physics was cut off from DIRT series?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Johnnnn said:

Full HD vs. 4K

Absolutely not equal replacement. Some pixels instead normal realistic water... What is more precious... Of course some pixels!!!

And there is no difference between fullHD and 4K when you sit about 2 or 3 meters in front of TV. But there is difference between texture and waves even from that distance ))

As I said earlier 4K killed detalization in games for nothing

Edited by lastbreath

2 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

Absolutely not equal replacemnet. Some pixels instead normal realistic water... What is more precious... Of course some pixels!!!

And there is no difference between fullHD and 4K when you sit about 2 or 3 meters in front of TV. But there is difference between texture and waves even from that distance ))

As I said earlier 4K killed detalization in games for nothing

It depends. 4K was probably a goal and they met it.

Gameplay is always better than graphics. For instance, Minecraft. But those problems are with us all the time. For instance, current gen should use more everything instead of graphics. But what they did? 4K in 30 FPS. I can't play in 30 FPS so gameplay is zero for me and 4K can't improve it. The problem with current gen is pretty bad CPU, so it's easier to improve graphics than anything else. And DR2 looks pretty good to me and gameplay is great. I don't need more for now.

21 hours ago, Johnnnn said:

4K was probably a goal and they met it

Stupid goal if you have cut off minor but realistic features which make the game more "alive"

2 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

Stupid goal if you have cut off minor but realistic features which make the game more "alive"

It's very common. And it depends who pays for what.

Posted (edited)

if title is getting features removed then the name of game should change accordingly. Customers buy a sequel expecting it's as good as previous iteration (having all its features) or better (getting additional ones). But no one of them expects removing major features.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

if title is getting features removed then the name of game should change accordingly. Customers buy a sequel expecting it's as good as previous iteration (having all its features) or better (getting additional ones). But no one of them expects removing major features.

Forza does it regularly. Still you don't have anything better. Take it or leave it 😄

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

I don't care about Forza. I do about DR franchise.

Forza is much more popular than anything else and still they are not "able" to do it. DR franchise has probably awful sales so everything is much harder. Does anybody know more about real sales for DR2?

1 minute ago, Brain.exe has stopped said:

According to SteamSpy, there are around 200 000 owners and there were 1 025 concurrent players yesterday.

Obviously, this is only steam, but it gives you an idea.

Yeah, but I am not sure if SS is correct now. If it's true it's not that good. It reminds me games I played like RBR, GTR1, GTR2, GT legends, Rally trophy and where are their developers now. Games were pretty good but it's not enough 😞

Then I am really happy anything exists. It's not perfect but last Horizon was bugged a lot and they have almost unlimited money (probably).

actually most developers you mentioned, except for rbr, were/are involved with SMS (pCars) or Sector3 (R3E)

12 minutes ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

actually most developers you mentioned, except for rbr, were/are involved with SMS (pCars) or Sector3 (R3E)

That's good but GTR3 looks a bit dead to me 😄 PC2 is great and I hope they won't build any useless console and prepare great PC3. HC racing games are not so popular and it's hard to build them. I can imagine bigger price, it could work... like DR2 😄

The difference is actually in the locations.

The 6 new locations all have water sounds & effects, EVEN for small puddles in rain/wet conditions.

The 6 DLC (well 5 so far) locations lack this. There is no effect and no splash sound for the small puddles.

I suspect it has to do with them requiring manual placement of triggers etc.etc... which is a lot of work I guess. But I don't like this noticeable drop in immersion detail between the different rallies.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 10/6/2019 at 2:45 PM, Johnnnn said:

It has some physics for sure.

There's Nothing about its water physics as you can see. You can drive through the puddle without any direction changes or losing speed ( there's no aquaplaning at all), just audio-visual effects only.
Compare it to WRC8, pCars 2 and ACC ... they've got a code for water physics.

Edited by mesa
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, mesa said:

There's Nothing about its water physics as you can see. You can drive through the puddle without any direction changes or losing speed ( there's no aquaplaning at all), just audio-visual effects only.
Compare it to WRC8, pCars 2 and ACC ... they've got a code for water physics.

Why it slows me down and push to random slide in New England? It's possible it's not in DLC tracks because I don't play the game for long.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Johnnnn said:

Why it slows me down and push to random slide in New England? It's possible it's not in DLC tracks because I don't play the game for long.

It doesn't push randomly.
It very much enhances ANY inertia your car has when going in. Even the slightest turn motion can push you strongly to the side and that is absolutely realistic. I mention that in my Wales guide, where in it's ford it's most difficult, as you are entering from a turn and existing into a turn, but you want to cross a ford in as much a straight motion as possible, to prevent exactly those slides.

's

12 minutes ago, SkyRex said:

It doesn't push randomly.
It very much enhances ANY inertia your car has when going in. Even the slightest turn motion can push you strongly to the side and that is absolutely realistic. I mention that in my Wales guide, where in it's ford it's most difficult, as you are entering from a turn and existing into a turn, but you want to cross a ford in as much a straight motion as possible, to prevent exactly those slides.

You are right. I realized it later. When I started plying I had troubles but currently I go almost full throttle through without any steering and it's usually OK. I depends on the position.

But it means there is some physics, right?

• Agree 1

On 10/6/2019 at 7:04 PM, lastbreath said:

The problem is I see nothing new they added instead removed features. They cut off water physics and graphics overall remains the same. Even worse sometimes than in 2011 (!) game. So what was the deal?

They've also remove the analogue handbrake, "disable mouse UI", and a few others features that I think are very useful. And think about how long has it taken(is it gonna take) for them to bring these back, which should have been in the game since launch.

Codemasters fixed a few features and implemented some bugs in DR2.0 comparing old games. hehe.

Don't get me wrong, I do love the game. But codemasters should have focused more in terms of polishing the game and making it a much better experience instead of bring old contents from DR and sell them. I know they want to make money, but they've focused too much on making money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

You will always have some strange "fans". That's the problem with community feedback. Many people are completely off 😄

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 2:24 PM, mesa said:

if i come to fast on splash i have bad reaction of my car 

• Agree 1

On 10/6/2019 at 8:24 AM, mesa said:

if you take it perfectly, this is what happens. it still will slow you down though (it depends on the car, how fast you are going, and also the direction you're going on the track), and you picked a camera angle that does not show that.

if you don't take it at the right angle, that water splash will send you off the road.

here's a better video of how it slows you, with a light car. i have to drop a gear going through there.

• Like 1