Sign in to follow this  

Only DX12... ***, really?!

Dear Codemasters, are you NUTS?!
Millions of gamers still using Win7 as stable (not such as UNIX-based OS, but...) platform and DX12 not giving such pretty image and other improvements, if comparing with DX11. In fact, in march 2019, Microsoft announced that they will finally ports DirectX 12 to Windows 7. They already posted some materials on GitHub that could help developers. And how about Vulkan?

P.S. I have one more thing to say: Codemasters, get ready for Review-BOMBING... Personally, I will not leave any feedback.

P.P.S Sorry for my bad English.

DX12 is only available for specific developers on Windows 7 afaik. 

There is guy in the Steam forum that posted how to force it to run in DX11:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/703860/discussions/0/1631916887506076538/

fixing the game against developers will.. (forcing DX11 through Windows.)
All the Youtubers and streamers who got early keys complained about Crashes related through DX12.

the devs straight ignoring the fact that the game is unplayable with DX12 and do not give an option to change it.

but you can force it straight through windows (10).

Open your Options, go to Apps and klick on optional features.
Klick on Add Feature and look for Graphics tools.

Install the Graphics tools. (after klicking on install go back with the arrow on the top left and wait until it is installed.)

if it's done press Windows+R and type dxcpl

if you are in the direct x control panel klick in the Direct 3D 10/11/12 List on Edit List

there you klick on the 3 dots and go chose both .exe (Grid.exe and Grid_dx12.exe)

both paths should be visible in the List of processes and folders now.

Press OK

Now you look all the way down at Device Settings and make a check on Disable Feature Level Upgrade and chose in the list called Feature level limit: 11_1.

you klick on confirm and start the game.

the game will still be called Grid DirectX12 because the games name has DirectX12 in it but the game now runs natively in Direct X11.1

This fixed the crashing immediately for me and i have now even better performance (around 15% more FPS and a much more stable experience.)

it's a shame that Codemasters does something like this even if everyone told them the issue WEEKS AGO!

• Agree 1

Tried this last night didnt work for me. The guy Kong even talked me through the process incase i was doing something wrong still no joy !

yeah i also spoke to kong last night we tried everything but game still wont load,

Access violation at address 0xce4a9b65 in module 'Grid_dx12.exe' + 0x7b9b65.
Grid_dx12.exe

11 hours ago, jesped said:

---
but you can force it straight through windows (10).

---

I'm using Win7. This method is necessary in order to use DirectX 11 under Win10. For me it will no work! ((

12 hours ago, andmcq said:

Windows 7 support ends in about 3 or 4 months. Move on.

So what?! I remember, that I used WinXP until 2010-2011 and i move on Win7 when MS released SP1 for it. Yeah, Win7 is EOL soon, but it's OFFICIALLY... Don't forget about the community! )

Even WinXP is still alive. Just tell me - WHY(?) i need to move on Win10, if Win7 i like more and i still can play, work, have fun and other using this OS.

I remembered that I pre-ordered GRID 2019 on 22th May. At that moment, Codemasters didn't reveal system requirements.
In general, you should talk about such things in advance, and certainly BEFORE you open a pre-orders for your product.

I just don’t understand why it was that necessary to remove DirectX11. It doesn’t cost you anything to just add it... Or NOT?!
Many games have DirectX12 support, but only SUPPORT, as option. If you want - use DirectX12, if you don’t - here is DirectX11. Why was that done? WHAT FOR?!

I understand that now the majority uses Win10, but 25-35% users are still using Win7. This is a considerable percentage!

Maybe Microsoft paid to CM for such "exclusivity", like Epic Games paid Remedy for Control.

P.S. I'm sorry for such "evil" posts, but i have a big butthurt about this decision.

On 10/8/2019 at 9:07 AM, jesped said:

Actually now game looks better in DX11. Its smoother and FPS is higher. In DX12 game looked like BETA. Its so weird. But thank you for this info. I think it helped to solve my crashes. 🙂

• Like 1

developers can port dx12 to windows7 easily if they decide to:

https://wccftech.com/microsoft-is-now-helping-developers-port-their-directx-12-games-to-windows-7/