[GRID 2019] Graphics Discussion - Why exactly it looks #LikeNoOther

Posted (edited)

As the previous graphics discussion thread was closed because it seems it was too "clogged", I decided to unclog it for everybody's convenience in this long thread:

So all the problems and bugs are clearly presented and easy to have as reference in case Codemasters decides to fix them.

After seeing the game already on PC Ultra, I can assure first hand that all these issues are still present in the release version. Very noticeable problems with:

• Trees
  • LODs
  • Shadows
  • Reflections
  • Exposure, Contrast, tonemapping
  • Textures loading over low res ones
  • Pixelated textures on cars
  • Flat lighting

Is there going to be a patch on the 11th that's going to fix all these problems?

Edited by jesped
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)

On the positive side...   it works with both Reshade and SuperDepth3D. And Reshade says it's DX11:

zf4yfyM.png

Reshade's Raytraced Global Illumination shader Developed by Pascal "Marty McFly" Gilcher: https://reshade.me/forum/shader-discussion/5450-guide-to-ray-tracing-with-reshade
works ok too, and it improves the game lighting a considerable amount.

Edited by jesped
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

On the negative. There is only one .xml with options that can be edited, in Documents\My Games\GRID (2019)\hardwaresettings\hardware_settings_config.xml
(default settings)
image.thumb.png.e572bf5a3b8aeeecb7c63c3f4fb1e589.png

It doesn't have any settings to improve LOD, and some that seemed interesting like "crowdinShadows" doesn't work when set to True.

Still tests to run but it doesn't look that much can be done besides increasing shadows resolution and disabling features that doesn't have a proper option in the Advanced Settings menu: motionBlur, godRays, depthOfField, lensStreak, lensFlare, lensDust and bloom.

There is no SMAA option in the Advanced menu now, and the option here is set to False by default.

Edited by jesped
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

Just started playing, did the tutorial and am driving a Free Play race right now. The main thing that bothers me is this flickering on the road that starts near the rear wheels.

OzQ166X.jpg

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, jesped said:

As the previous graphics discussion thread was closed because it seems it was too "clogged", I decided to unclog it for everybody's convenience in this long thread:

So all the problems and bugs are clearly presented and easy to have as reference in case Codemasters decides to fix them.

After seeing the game already on PC Ultra, I can assure first hand that all these issues are still present in the release version. Very noticeable problems with:

• Trees
  • LODs
  • Shadows
  • Reflections
  • Exposure, Contrast, tonemapping
  • Textures loading over low res ones
  • Pixelated textures on cars
  • Flat lighting

Is there going to be a patch on the 11th that's going to fix all these problems?

just a rushed opinion after only 20 minutes max of gameplay

after giving it a little try yesterday i now agree with you in almost every pointed out graphic issues covered on the previous graphic discussion thread..running the game in 2k with everything maxed out didn't seriously make it look better than any of the youtubers heavy compressed videos...drifting lacking very badly in this game.

to the community team, 

you must not overlook what has been already reported by the likes of @[SRS13]Rastus  @lastbreath and especially @jesped who has given many examples to make his arguments valid and still does

Edited by RedHrm

1 hour ago, Sir.Smoke said:

Just started playing, did the tutorial and am driving a Free Play race right now. The main thing that bothers me is this flickering on the road that starts near the rear wheels.

OzQ166X.jpg

Interesting one - would you like to post it in the Technical Assistance area, where we've asked players to report any issues please? There are instructions on there that will guide you in terms of giving us all the information we need 🙂 Thanks! 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Interesting one

Me and jesped said about it long time ago - when first career missions were uploaded on youtube

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

i take back what I've said earlier about drifting as some kind of compulsory driving feature for the game now that i am starting winning races...just got very frustrated yesterday finishing last every time

Edited by RedHrm
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Just checked, see below.

30fps target:

• PlayStation 4
  • Xbox One S

60fps target:

• PlayStation 4 Pro
  • Xbox One X

Amazing...   so in the end, base consoles are 30fps??...

Like Driveclub? a game that 5 years ago looked like this on the same hardware?

Driveclub_rain.gif.85b218ce0784cce8d2a678870f0f944c.gifDriveClub007.gif

jo1BgkJ.gif cVWk65Y.gif
giphy.gifsource.gifPxWW79R.gifgiphy.gif

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Let's try to keep this in GRID's graphics and not clutter it up with other games when we all (or at least 99%) know what the other games look like 🙂 It's easier for devs to check it when it only has images and videos of GRID19!

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Let's try to keep this in GRID's graphics and not clutter it up with other games when we all (or at least 99%) know what the other games look like 🙂 It's easier for devs to check it when it only has images and videos of GRID19!

Videogames don't exist in a bubble. They exist in a world where there is competition. If I say GRID looks bland and outdated for 2019 standards, the reasonable thing to do is to prove that with examples from other games.

Or should we avoid showing any examples from other games just not to shame GRID's visuals?  if that's the case, it says already a lot of its quality then... 🤷‍♂️

My point is: GRID's graphics quality shouldn't have to be so dragged down if base consoles were targeted for 30fps. Driveclub is the only racing game I know that is 30fps on base PS4, and it looks a whole generation superior. A game from 2014. With some of its developers working now for Codemasters. 🤦‍♂️
It's just baffling.

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

@jesped 

Already listened to it. Proved some good points (Like reduction of damage). @ChrisGrovesMCM said that there will be a "Customary Launch Patch".

Maybe It will come on the eleventh of September, not sure.

• Disagree 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, CordedQuill42 said:

Proved some good points (Like reduction of damage).

And what we've been saying about Camera shake too. The original Race Driver GRID just feels much more exciting, like you are in one of those cinematic Fast & Furious races. This, I think, was a lot of the "soul" of the original GRID, and even GRID 2 and Autosport. Now GRID 2019 looks more like Gran Turismo, which people always complains about it being realistic but "boring". 

Besides that, at least GT Sport runs at 60fps and looks much better too:
71902f0390b6b4eafc3d542c47f751de.gifu4MBxj.gif5w3tmKj.gifAcademicNarrowAntlion-size_restricted.gi

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, jesped said:

Just listen to this piece here:

And half refresh mirrors too, lmao.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

On the contrary, it is so obvious that there has been so much effort put in this game. So many different gfx features, time of day, rain, so many effects, different assets, new tracks with many routes, detailed cockpits for so many cars... Sounds, all way better than before, great variety, offering so much immersion. It is clear there's been a huge amount of effort put in this game, but for some strange reason it seems some of the simpler stuff was lost in the way unfortunately. Optimistic they will be improved soon though.

• Agree 1

Just a tip to skip intros and go directly to the game.

Go to GRID\ui_package\videos\ and rename these files to .bak:

cm_logo.video.erp
ftue_intro_cinematic.video.erp
intro_01.video.erp
cm_logo\cm_logo.bk2

rename all the other "intro" videos there if you like.

Is it 720p on xbox one s? It just looks like xbox360 game and that's sad : (

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Ak1504 said:

I just created a gallery with direct comparison screenshots of San Francisco GP in GRID 2019 and Autosport if someone is interested.

Awesome job mate. Simply amazing how things like AntiAliasing and the sky look so much better in GRID Autosport:
image.png.8d546a2b3e3fff60a4935acf487edefa.pngimage.thumb.png.efcb8952503631a75ade48f7cd384ef1.pngimage.thumb.png.d6f5e9d110b57bcf2bc46d1bf5023b98.png

Edited by jesped

Posted (edited)

Things that looked better 5 years ago...
image.thumb.png.7c5f34a1efd7f6a83c815126e02e4b05.pngimage.thumb.png.c82459cd876d1c4f028715343b40bb68.png

This is just baffling. That building on the right, the whole atmosphere of the location...
image.thumb.png.d457156758ec446d1a3e84caa3fc3426.png

I guess an Okutama comparision like this would be bonkers. 👀

Edited by jesped

3 hours ago, jesped said:

Things that looked better 5 years ago...
image.thumb.png.7c5f34a1efd7f6a83c815126e02e4b05.pngimage.thumb.png.c82459cd876d1c4f028715343b40bb68.png

This is just baffling. That building on the right, the whole atmosphere of the location...
image.thumb.png.d457156758ec446d1a3e84caa3fc3426.png

I guess an Okutama comparision like this would be bonkers. 👀

Ok, i'll ask the question... Which is which? Lol 🙂... But whichever way round they are, of these 6 pics I prefer (from top to bottom) left, right (purely for the detail on that building), left.... So left wins 2-1

Do I win a medal or am I a bad girl for picking Grid 2019... The suspense is killing me

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, [SRS13]Rastus said:

Been thinking it was my eyesight that was screwed as everything looks out of focus can't even read the text on the banners at the race start yet GAS looks pin sharp, even the tarmac looks better and has waaaay more detail.

Hm weird. Tbh i prefer the GRID 2019 look. Textures are a bit sharper, not overly bright and with a weird color tone as GRID AS and in the far distance GRID AS is not as sharp as you can clearly see on the screens.

Screenshot_117.jpg

Edited by Ak1504
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

Ok, i'll ask the question... Which is which?

So the building on the left looks better to you than the one on the right?

image.png.4e12111fd853cd572db878d8970cc696.png