[GRID 2019] Graphics Discussion - Why exactly it looks #LikeNoOther

Again, just the camera movements make for a much higher sense of speed and immersion.

Sure but not everyone likes this shaky cam... But would be nice to have it as option...

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Ak1504 said:

Sure but not everyone likes this shaky cam... But would be nice to have it as option...

Exactly. A slider from OFF to Very Strong, 0 to 5 or whatever.

The feature is already there in the code of both GRID 2 and Autosport... 🤷‍♂️

Many people are saying the same in the comments of these comparision videos.

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, jesped said:

what kind of logic made the GRID team give more priority to crowds in high numbers and high polygon counts over the much more visible vegetation and other track elements

I guess crowds were developing at the early stages, when they had enough time. But when deadline had been broken - everything got less priorities

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, jesped said:

just the camera movements make for a much higher sense of speed and immersion

Also Autosport has normal exposure. Brightness in GRID2019 just burns out your eyes

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, GavinMac said:

Notice how the crowd jumps back when you hit the wall

OG Grid 2007 feature...

Imagine Grid2008 maxed without Yellow filter !

Its everything more balanced.

Grid2019 is not bad, compared look too much saturated. 

• Like 1

Imagine RD GRID servers still works on PC, would be nice to see comparisons in player base 🙂

btw, i am using few mods to increase the look of RD GRID and remove that yellowish color

Edited by CrazySerbianGuy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I'll just add my 2 cents. This is a fairly long thread already, so sorry if this has already been addressed!

My main issues with the graphics are as follows:

-Mipmapping is poorly implemented. Just load up the game and look at the Porsche on the start screen and see how long it takes to load the higher resolution textures in, especially the headlights

-Many post processing options missing from menus including texture filtering, MSAA, DOF effect, Bloom, Blur, lens effects

-No way to disable chromatic abberation even in XML files (I despise this effect!)

-Low LOD distance on many objects and no way to increase it (has already been mentioned)

I'd just like options please Codemasters!

Edited by BenRogue
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, FlashStealth said:

Imagine Grid2008 maxed without Yellow filter !

Its everything more balanced.

Grid2019 is not bad, compared look too much saturated. 

You can remove the yellow filter and remove the resolution cap from the OG GRID by doing the following:

To disable Bloom and Blur effects;

Go to Documents, Codemasters, GRID, hardwaresettings, and open the file "hardware_settings_config.xml" edit line:

postprocess enabled="true" blur="true"

to:

postprocess enabled="false" blur="false"

To run in 1080p or higher;

Open file hardware_settings_restrictions.xml with notepad (copy to secondary location and remove read only from Properties first). Found in ...Program Files, Race Driver Grid, system, scroll down to the bottom and edit line:

res mem="270" maxWidth="1280"

to

res mem="4096" maxWidth="7000"

Edited by BenRogue
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, BenRogue said:

You can remove the yellow filter and remove the resolution cap from the OG GRID by doing the following:

To disable Bloom and Blur effects;

Go to Documents, Codemasters, GRID, hardwaresettings, and open the file "hardware_settings_config.xml" edit line:

postprocess enabled="true" blur="true"

to:

postprocess enabled="false" blur="false"

To run in 1080p or higher;

Open file hardware_settings_restrictions.xml with notepad (copy to secondary location and remove read only from Properties first). Found in ...Program Files, Race Driver Grid, system, scroll down to the bottom and edit line:

res mem="270" maxWidth="1280"

to

res mem="4096" maxWidth="7000"

Thanks a lot ! 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 11:00 PM, lastbreath said:

Also Autosport has normal exposure. Brightness in GRID2019 just burns out your eyes

Crowds were most likely ported over from the newer dirt games. 

Yikes. Just tried out the game and it looks terrible. Motion blur is horrendous (and I normally like motion blur) trees are just laughable (destroyerd like in DiRT series). Another dissapionting title from Codemasters after DiRT Rally 2.0 made my sell my steering wheel. They have no shame selling this game at full price with DLC's already planned. This year Codies lost all my goodwill. I won't purchase any CM title until they retire EGO and make a proper, content-rich game. Such a shame... 

@jesped you seem just as frustrated as I was when DR 2.0 dropped. DR 2.0 felt like it needed at least another 6 months in the oven. The tree issue goes as far as the first Dirt rally, and TAA is just as smeary as it was in february. EGO is on it's death bed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lawstorant said:

@jesped you seem just as frustrated as I was when DR 2.0 dropped. DR 2.0 felt like it needed at least another 6 months in the oven. The tree issue goes as far as the first Dirt rally, and TAA is just as smeary as it was in february. EGO is on it's death bed.

I wasn't as disappointed with DR2.0 as I am with GRID. It has its flaws too, but coming from Dirt 4, I think it was a good improvement. TAA is a controversial feature. Some people find it too blurry, but other people love it because it can totally remove all jaggies and it needs less GPU power than MSAA or SSAA. Not all TAA implementations are the same either. GRID's TAA is pretty bad, as many jaggies are still visible with it. I already posted it, but a very good example of TAA tech is the Alias Isolation free mod for Alien Isolation: 

Despite EGO not being the greatest engine, I don't think GRID's problems are related to it. F1 2019 uses the exact same version (EGO v4) and it looks great. All GRID's faults have to do with the development, with how they used it. The choices they made, both the artistic and technical choices. And all the cut stuff that was present in previous GRID's. Almost half the tracks of GRID Autosport. Lots of elements looking even worse. A lot less customizable options. There isn't even an option to disable Chromatic Aberration ffs, not even in the .xml config file. And of course not a moddable effects.xml like in previous games.

Edited by jesped

14 hours ago, jesped said:

Interesting choice of comparison because what the clip fails to tell you is that Heat 4 on consoles comes with 'bonus features' which include multiple rendering issues, severe framerate drops, micro-stuttering and (in 'performance' mode) some quite horrific screen tearing. From my 6000+ laps of this game I could tell you stories that would send shivers up your spine and make you wish you were playing the game on the right 🙂

1 hour ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

Interesting choice of comparison because what the clip fails to tell you is that Heat 4 on consoles comes with 'bonus features' which include multiple rendering issues, severe framerate drops, micro-stuttering and (in 'performance' mode) some quite horrific screen tearing. From my 6000+ laps of this game I could tell you stories that would send shivers up your spine and make you wish you were playing the game on the right 🙂

I really didn't know this game existed at all until you told me about it. 😂

I think they used the PC version for this comparision video. Is it 30fps or 60fps on consoles?

BTW, the dots pattern of the motion blur look good in motion. Makes it look much smoother than GRID's. Trees and sky, among other elements, look much better too.

Edited by jesped
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, jesped said:

I really didn't know this game existed at all until you told me about it. 😂

I think they used the PC version for this comparision video. Is it 30fps or 60fps on consoles?

BTW, the dots pattern of the motion blur looks good in motion. Makes it look much smoother than GRID's. Trees and sky, among other elements, look much better too.

After thinking about it I'm going to retract my previous statement and say that the Heat 4 v Grid comparison is highly relevant....but for another reason. It is a perfect example of how if levels of immersion are of a high enough standard then performance (within reason) and/or visual quality can be overlooked to a certain degree - a point that anyone who has played a 40 car race around Daytona in Heat 4 will probably appreciate more than those who just see NASCAR as a driving round in circles for multiple hundreds of laps simulator. As has been clearly shown in this thread Grid doesn't really excel in the visuals department and when directly compared against the career/multiplayer aspects of Racedriver Grid and the depth of content in Autosport (games that it's supposed to be paying homage to) there's no real argument for strong gameplay credentials either so, unlike Heat 4, it's neither here nor there when trying to decide where it belongs.

Yes, although i'm pretty convinced Heat 4 will comfortably manage 60fps on X1X we're stuck with 30fps to maintain parity with XB1 so that's a bit disappointing. As for that weird dotted pattern thing you're absolutely right about how it smooths the motion blur but i'd still sell my soul to get rid of it because it looks real ugly. Until then......cockpit view :classic_tongue:   

And finally a confession... It was only this morning that I realised GAS is actually Grid Autosport lol... I honestly though it was an obscure PC game that i'd never heard of (well, they have a game called FUEL so why not GAS) and that is the excuse i'm sticking with 🙂

• Haha 2

Okay graphics guys how is the HDR in this game? Oddly i have not seen you guys discussing it.

Edited by FLAW3D

4 minutes ago, FLAW3D said:

Okay graphics guys how is the HDR in this game? Oddly i have not seen you guys discussing it.

For some reason it is not compatible with my projector's HDR. Even if I force it in the .xml config file, once the game starts it disables it automatically. There are other weird problems with GRID video settings too, like it stupidly trying to force the game to start in the secondary monitor when nothing was changed. Or resetting the resolution to a different setting that you chose...   these are problems that old Codemasters titles had and were fixed. Now they are back again in 2019. Great. 🤦‍♂️