[GRID 2019] Graphics Discussion - Why exactly it looks #LikeNoOther

6 minutes ago, FLAW3D said:

Okay graphics guys how is the HDR in this game? Oddly i have not seen you guys discussing it.

Because there are more base elements to improve )) You know HDR doesn't matter if you see such models of trees:  

dfh.png

They will remain bad under any lightning system

29 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

Because there are more base elements to improve )) You know HDR doesn't matter if you see such models of trees:  

dfh.png

They will remain bad under any lightning system

What nonsense. Hows the HDR on lights, In the Cockpit or the road with wet lighting etc etc not all of us are obsessed with trees in racing games. 

Edited by FLAW3D
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FLAW3D said:

What nonsense. Hows the HDR on lights, In the Cockpit or the road with wet lighting etc etc not all of us are obsessed with trees in racing games

HDR makes NORMAL lights BETTER

While TREES are BAD right NOW.

So HDR is like buying luxury thing when you have nothing to eat. Instead transforming GOOD into the BEST, better make BAD NORMAL first. 

41 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

Seems you guys are OK when you pay for PS2 quality in 2019 game.

You must of had 1 amazing PS2. 

GRID-2019-Screenshot-2019-10-12-21-11-22

GRID-2019-Screenshot-2019-10-12-20-52-41
GRID-2019-Screenshot-2019-10-12-20-48-59GRID-2019-Screenshot-2019-10-08-20-11-49
Screenshot 2019-10-13 14.46.25.png
Screenshot 2019-10-13 14.51.29.png

This is the PS2 i had...

gran-turismo-3-03.png
maxresdefault.jpg.6c535b221d1083443c5441109d41c3b1.jpg
x1080.thumb.jpg.f3d87f704741c7cfdf6328ad81834a92.jpg

Edited by FLAW3D
  • Haha 3

FLAW3D

1138114465_.png.a5c437941f4c519a53770a04d2ca697b.png    VS    494069190_f.png.291699b5bb1538f2e69cb17da30269e5.png

I'm sorry, I was wrong about PS2. It has way better trees that I thought

Edited by lastbreath
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

Seems you guys can't see the forest for the trees :classic_ninja:

Here's a whoooole forest. 😂

And this is just about graphics. Game has half the content of Autosport. No drift, no demolition derby...   plenty of people out there saying Multiplayer is horrible. That they are bored to death after 4-5 hours...   but you can cherry-pick a handful of good/mediocre images from PC Ultra 4K with a $1000 GPU, so everything is ok. 🤔

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 1

I went back to Project CARS 2 these days, a game that is already 2 years old, and the difference is abysmal.

Everything is configurable/customizable, all sorts of performance options, effects, post, camera's behavior...   to the point you can even edit the FFB files.

Dynamic full day-to-night cycle, seasons that affect even trees and vegetation on the tracks, dynamic weather with a miriad of different weather conditions, all grades of rain, storms, thunderstorms, mist, snow, real reflections on the tracks, cars lights generate shadows even from other cars, 60 TRACKS, 182 CARS, VR, ...   600+ mods... 

And this is not a powerhouse with a big budget like some always say when comparing to GT Sport or Forzas. But hey, they don't have Fernando Alonso's sticker on it, so I guess GRID wins. 😄

Edited by jesped
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, jesped said:

I went back to Project CARS 2 these days, a game that is already 2 years old, and the difference is abysmal.

Everything is configurable/customizable, all sorts of performance options, effects, post, camera's behavior...   to the point you can even edit the FFB files.

Dynamic full day-to-night cycle, seasons that affect even trees and vegetation on the tracks, dynamic weather with a miriad of different weather conditions, all grades of rain, storms, thunderstorms, mist, snow, real reflections on the tracks, cars lights generate shadows even from other cars, 60 TRACKS, 182 CARS, VR, ...   600+ mods... 

And this is not a powerhouse with a big budget like some always say when comparing to GT Sport or Forzas. But hey, they don't have Fernando Alonso's sticker on it, so I guess GRID wins. 😄

No wonder you dont like GRID, PCARS 2 is incredible and it's a million miles away from what Codies do with GRID. 2 racers at the opposite sides of the spectrum. 

6 minutes ago, FLAW3D said:

No wonder you dont like GRID, PCARS 2 is incredible and it's a million miles away from what Codies do with GRID. 2 racers at the opposite sides of the spectrum. 

It's not about "the spectrum", unless you are referring to the quality and variety spectrum, that is.
I'm not criticizing GRID for not being a sim, but for ALL the rest already said. I loved Race Driver GRID, GRID Autosport and even GRID 2 with some modding, it's not at all a problem of GRID being too arcade for me. Love arcades too, even NFS.

Edited by jesped

Your criticizing GRID for not having 60 Tracks and 182 Cars as well as not having Dynamic full day-to-night cycle, seasons that affect even trees and vegetation on the tracks, dynamic weather with a miriad of different weather conditions, all grades of rain, storms, thunderstorms, mist, snow, real reflections on the tracks, cars lights generate shadows even from other cars 600+ mods... 

You were never going to like GRID if you were expecting all that in it. 

Edited by FLAW3D

1 minute ago, FLAW3D said:

Your criticizing GRID for not having 60 Tracks and 182 Cars as well as not having Dynamic full day-to-night cycle, seasons that affect even trees and vegetation on the tracks, dynamic weather with a miriad of different weather conditions, all grades of rain, storms, thunderstorms, mist, snow, real reflections on the tracks, cars lights generate shadows even from other cars 600+ mods... 

You were never going to like GRID if you were expecting all that in it. 

It's a comparision between what GRID has and what one of its competitors on the market has. Not saying I would never like GRID if it doesn't have all that. It just shows how short it is in every possible aspect. But what is most important, comparing to how great Race Driver GRID was for a 2008 game, and how very good GRID Autosport was for a 2014 game. GRID is nothing great or good for a 2019 game, it is mediocre / mildly decent at best, overall.

After 5 years, I expected a quality proud succesor to Race Driver GRID and GRID Autosport. This isn't it.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, jesped said:

It's a comparision between what GRID has and what one of its competitors on the market has. Not saying I would never like GRID if it doesn't have all that. It just shows how short it is in every possible aspect. But what is most important, comparing to how great Race Driver GRID was for a 2008 game, and how very good GRID Autosport was for a 2014 game. GRID is nothing great or good for a 2019 game, it is mediocre / mildly decent at best, overall.

After 5 years, I expected a quality proud succesor to Race Driver GRID and GRID Autosport. This isn't it.

What arcade racer this gen would you say is better? (Dont say Driveclub just because it has fancy graphics lol) 

Edited by FLAW3D

20 minutes ago, FLAW3D said:

What arcade racer this gen would you say is better? (Dont say Driveclub just because it has fancy graphics lol) 

Gravel.

Baja: Edge of Control HD.

No modern day bells and whistles, just stacks of content and pure unadulterated arcade gameplay.

....and if you want to go for all out looks then Forza Horizon 3+4 as well as FM6.

4 minutes ago, FLAW3D said:

Forza is Simcade, Gravel was poor, Baja was just above average. 

Ah, the old 'every current gen arcade game ever made up until the release of Grid is a bit poo because i'm the knowledge and my say is final' approach to logical reasoning.... I was going to add Crash team racing but to save you venturing down the 'that doesn't count because it features boxes full of fruit so it's applecade' path I won't bother. We'd best skip Wreckfest as well because in the eyes of the wise that's probably not an arcade racer either..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

Ah, the old 'every current gen arcade game ever made up until the release of Grid is a bit poo because i'm the knowledge and my say is final' approach to logical reasoning.... I was going to add Crash team racing but to save you venturing down the 'that doesn't count because it features boxes full of fruit so it's applecade' path I won't bother. We'd best skip Wreckfest as well because in the eyes of the wise that's probably not an arcade racer either..

CTR would of been the best game on your list. You should of added it rather than trying to sneek Simcades in 😉 Again Wreckfest would of been the best game on your list... You clearly didnt think those games were better than your first list though or you would of added them.

Edited by FLAW3D

26 minutes ago, FLAW3D said:

CTR would of been the best game on your list. You should of added it rather than trying to sneek Simcades in 😉 Again Wreckfest would of been the best game on your list... You clearly didnt think those games were better than your first list though or you would of added them.

It was a lose-lose question and your answer would have been exactly the same regardless of what was on the list. You may as well have said "name any arcade racer that you think is better than Grid and i'll tell you why it isn't"

• Agree 1

What arcade racer this gen would you say is better?

If there are no proper arcades at this gen - it doesn't make poorly developed game rich. I still can play GRID2 or Autosport and get better visuals and richer content. There is Barcelona comparison between GAS and GRID2019 and it looks like a comparison of games released at the same year. GRID2019 doesn't look like 5 years improvement. Visuals are the same and even worse (trees, lightning, LOD). So what are we arguing about? About X-shaped trees in 2019? This is pathetic!
-----

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, FLAW3D said:

Forza is Simcade, Gravel was poor, Baja was just above average. 

1 hour ago, FLAW3D said:

CTR would of been the best game on your list. You should of added it rather than trying to sneek Simcades in 😉 

Mate...   GRID is supposed to be "simcade" too. Are you trying to exclude any possible competition so there's an exclusive category for GRID itself where it is the best among nobody else?

Forza Horizon 3 & 4 and NFS's are very comparable to GRID, even if they are Open World (which should make them more limited, but doesnt).

image.thumb.png.3bc0ab85e220fcfdfbc894de86c464e4.png
"lol"
This is a thread for discussing graphics, pal. Gameplay is way more subjective and debatable and it should require a whole different thread even more complex than this one, listing all sorts of details and subtleties. But regarding visuals, Driveclub, a 5 years old game, is way way superior to GRID. It looks like a whole generation superior. Same for NFS 2015, a 4 years old game that looks a whole generation superior to GRID too. Of course both Forza Horizon 3 and 4. Those on the more arcade side, even though people tend to ignore that Driveclub added a "Hardcore Handling" option that, along with setting all assists off made the game much more "simcade" and hard as hell.
On the more simcade side, Forza, GT Sport and Project CARS 2 with all assists on 😄 and difficulty and AI aggresiveness matched to your liking. And F1 2018, F1 2019 and olders, whichever category you like them put in, look much better than GRID.

GRID is a game that being in the middle of a lot of its competitors, totally fails to do better than any of them in every aspect. Being a closed track game instead of Open World, it doesn' feature any dynamic ToD day-to-night or dynamic weather like most of the mentioned above do. Far from bringing any innovative tech or features, it goes back to obsolete solutions like fake reflections or a bad TAA implementation with far too  visible problems. The best looking thing in GRID are the cars, but it's not like they look any better than in any of the other games.

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, BRICKS44 said:

This discussion is exhausting.  Play the game and have some fun.

If you don't care about the bad graphics, why do you care about this thread? Go play the game.

Edited by Leo Natan
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1