Jump to content

[GRID 2019] Graphics Discussion - Why exactly it looks #LikeNoOther

Recommended Posts

So guys when I posted that codemasters were changing the graphics on dirt rally 2.0 now looks better,

f12019 now looks worse , a lot worse because of the inclusion of silly F2 ,

grid 2019 , all of a sudden looks 10x better , just check mirror reflections ,

and now finally codemasters admit on forums that they can alter graphics as it does not affect core game, 

the standand ps4 can handle 60fps , who the hell thought in a online multiplayer game to add Ai ,

and  400 Ai , Ai are only needed in story mode , wait you don't have a story mode .

we don't want Ai OK ,. They can't drive and ruin the game,

the rubbish we get told on here makes me laugh, 

how old do you think we are , the official post press release has been taken down,

because all the things it said how great the new grid was going to be, turned out to be completely false.

Edited by senna94f1
I must be losing my mind 🙏
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I was watching new Paris location on youtube and noticed some interesting  thing.

Here is the video:

And here is video settings screenshot:

hjd.png.c0ea6ab4999b97fb716747485a21bc43.png

Maximum LOD quality is... only medium! What? Can you check it? Is it really so? Maybe this is the reason of poor visuals?

Edited by lastbreath

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, lastbreath said:

 

hjd.png.c0ea6ab4999b97fb716747485a21bc43.png

Maximum LOD quality is... only medium! What? Can you check it? Is it really so? Maybe this is the reason of poor visuals?

LOD Quality Settings are Very Low -> Low -> Medium. It'd be asking for trouble if they'd call it High.

You can probably just change the lodBias and crowdLodBias for a higher LOD, with much lowered performance. There isn't much for me to try as my PC already can't handle the game that well 😛 

NOTE: Changing the setting outside of the game to an unsupported amount may tank the framerate or completely break the world (like in OFDR)

Edited by UP100
Warnings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 11:16 AM, UP100 said:

You can probably just change the lodBias

Can I? Did anyone try it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like they left the "Console setting" there and forgot to open it up to Ultra High for pc users ^^

Maybe @ChrisGrovesMCM can ask the team whats up with this setting ? 🙂

Edited by Ak1504

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lastbreath said:

This is cheap indie racing Xenon Racer:

28DDB5AC50A86D0CD63E033EA28B8F706F91D42C

Look at the reflections...

.....and only 7gb for the whole game 😲

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And, of course, HDR doesn't work with custom resolutions, because why would it work like any other decent game supporting HDR?  the Code"Masters" way of implement HDR is telling you that it is activated while your display says "nope". Even when you resign to 1080p just to test it there is only the same "Brightness" slider for configuration as in SDR, with a black/white range that doesn't match HDR. 🤦‍♂️

Honestly, after 3 months, the state of this game is pathetic.

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jesped said:

Honestly, after 3 months, the state of this game is pathetic.

And it seems any communication from the "team" has died down too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Leo Natan said:

And it seems any communication from the "team" has died down too.

In fairness Chris has given out quite a bit of info about the multiplayer stuff which is good because we're all fully in the loop regarding changes and timelines but not so good because with no word in relation to visual enhancements or any other priority changes it probably means those areas aren't going to be looked at. The only disappointment for me is that the time and effort it took to get Stadia Grid up and running for the benefit of the minority audience could just as easilly been spent on enhancing the game for those who already own - the majority audience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

In fairness Chris has given out quite a bit of info about the multiplayer stuff which is good because we're all fully in the loop regarding changes and timelines but not so good because with no word in relation to visual enhancements or any other priority changes it probably means those areas aren't going to be looked at. The only disappointment for me is that the time and effort it took to get Stadia Grid up and running for the benefit of the minority audience could just as easilly been spent on enhancing the game for those who already own - the majority audience. 

I mostly meant about the graphics and graphics bugs—my thread with a clear bug and multiple pings to Chris has not been deemed worthy of a response from @ChrisGrovesMCM; not even a "will pass it to the 'team'". Not a good sign. But also, even for MP issues, a lot of the promises have been vague at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Leo Natan said:

I mostly meant about the graphics and graphics bugs—my thread with a clear bug and multiple pings to Chris has not been deemed worthy of a response from @ChrisGrovesMCM; not even a "will pass it to the 'team'". Not a good sign. But also, even for MP issues, a lot of the promises have been vague at best.

That'll be because graphical improvements and enhancements are made in each patch and update. It's rarely a specific, one-off topic that I can log, track and say is completely resolved. so it's much more difficult to communicate.

It's something we look at every day, in one form or another - for example, this week we discovered that for PS4 players, using HD settings, it can be beneficial in some instances (depending on the TV/hardware you're using) to switch the display's Picture Setting OUT of Game Mode. This has the potential to improve visual aspects like dynamic range, sharpness and frame rate. We're continuing to investigate to see if we can find more concrete info and steps for players to take on this topic 🙂

In short:

- We know there are further improvements that can be made graphically to the game 

- Improvements and optimisations are made in each game update, including in next week's patch for the public lobbies, and the Season 2 update afterwards 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ChrisGrovesMCM I've created a video of a very specific graphical issue that is reproducible very easily, by everyone who plays this game, and is a major hindrance to the way this game is perceived. Since the issue is camera dependent, the fix is a minor one and will show a great improvement to anyone who uses the driver camera. The fact that you have not even bothered to respond in that thread makes me doubt you (Codemasters) will bother making any change, sorry. Now that we are a quarter after release and such significant issues with seemingly trivial fixes still exist doesn't bode well for the future of this or other games from your company. But thank you for the canned response. It's something, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Leo Natan
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

@ChrisGrovesMCM I've created a video of a very specific graphical issue that is reproducible very easily, by everyone who plays this game, and is a major hindrance to the way this game is perceived. Since the issue is camera dependent, the fix is a minor one and will show a great improvement to anyone who uses the driver camera. The fact that you have not even bothered to respond in that thread makes me doubt you (Codemasters) will bother making any change, sorry. Now that we are a quarter after release and such significant issues with seemingly trivial fixes still exist doesn't bode well for the future of this or other games from your company. But thank you for the canned response. It's something, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

- Feel free to send over the video again in case I haven't seen it, which is possible considering it's often difficult to sift through the un-useful threads and comments 🙂 

- As you said yourself, it's "seemingly trivial". 99% of the time, it's not a simple fix, and the issue requires a lot of investigation and digging to identify the source of the problem, see if it can be fixed, figure out a way of doing so without affecting other aspects of the game, then smoothly implementing that into the live game

- Not a canned response 

- You're welcome 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ChrisGrovesMCM In this case, the fix should be simple. It seems to be something in the camera LOD metadata. In previous Ego games, where files were more accessible, it was as simple as editing XML files. It's the same case here.

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

In previous Ego games

I'm interested. Previous EGO3 games, or old EGO games?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked at a camera mod XML files for the latest F1 games, which had some LOD values. So I assume it's similar here. In that specific camera, the LOD is driven very low, as evident in the video. But I have not seen a way to access those camera files in Grid 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

I looked at a camera mod XML files for the latest F1 games, which had some LOD values. So I assume it's similar here. In that specific camera, the LOD is driven very low, as evident in the video. But I have not seen a way to access those camera files in Grid 2019.

Well we don't even know if such thing exists in GRID 2019 as the Birmingham titles tend to be a little different in things like these when compared to what Southam is usually up to 🙂 

Surely you've tried messing with the lodBias I've mentioned before? I couldn't be bothered myself 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude, LOD in this game is fully broken. It even doesn't have "high" option. So I guess it's not so easy to fix that **** 😄

PS. I just want to remember Chris said once that the game would get visual patch at release... Seems they forgot to add it ))

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, UP100 said:

Well we don't even know if such thing exists in GRID 2019 as the Birmingham titles tend to be a little different in things like these when compared to what Southam is usually up to 🙂 

Surely you've tried messing with the lodBias I've mentioned before? I couldn't be bothered myself 😁

I don't see how "little different" matters in this case. Somewhere in the camera configs, there are different LOD values for the different cameras. This is crystal clear from the video I recorded. "Birmingham" can either put the other values for this camera too, or actually invest some work and add more LOD stops (high, ultra) where they can put the higher LOD values there. lodBias doesn't help. It's something else.

This is such a simple matter. Instead of wasting time on Stadia, the developers should have actually solved real problems with the game. 🙄 Instead they opted for a quick buck short-term that will bring them zero long-term comfort.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOD from PS2 era :)

in 2019

in non-open-world game

jhdfd.gif

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×