[GRID 2019] Graphics Discussion - Why exactly it looks #LikeNoOther

On 1/26/2020 at 12:48 AM, jesped said:

Not my mod. Some guy ported the OLD Grid track to Assetto Corsa. Then I added SOL (weather), Custom Shaders Patch, a custom PPF and Reshade on top.

Says a lot when your track from 5 years ago looks like a generation better on a 5 years old game with some free mods than in your new game from 3 monts ago... 

Barcelona City - McLaren P1
Mods + Custom PPF + Real Head Motion + Reshade

Full track race with dynamic night to day.

Though as you said yourself... these are just stolen assets with some mods around Assetto Corsa... Not really impressive as the work is mostly done anyways

Well if the modding community is fine with people stealing Codies' content, then I guess I could say it's hypocrisy 😁 (If you don't know what I'm referring to is that some artist at Codies took a modder's model online and used it as a base for a car (which is what the artist claims). The car has been removed from the game now and the artist no longer works for Codemasters). 

E: Also I have nothing agaisnt modding, but when the modder is lazy and just uses a converter of an already existing track without permission, I think it's too much.

Edited by UP100

@UP100 Whoosh

You are missing the point, mate. Either unintentionally or willfully, but still missing the point. The point of these videos is how much better Grid 2019 could have looked like. This is why they are posted here in this thread.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

@UP100 Whoosh

You are missing the point, mate. Either unintentionally or willfully, but still missing the point. The point of these videos is how much better Grid 2019 could have looked like. This is why they are posted here in this thread.

Exactly.

This is just a demonstration, tracks taken from OLD Grids and unoptimized for a totally different game/engine. And they still look much better than what Codemasters did after 5 years with all these assets, the tools, the deep knowledge, the paid employees...

GRID 2019 should look much better than this.

Edited by jesped
  • Disagree 1

I bet 90% of the mods are ripped instead of made from scratch... Thats how the modding scene is and always was lol...

Also, speaking of "stealing", isn't that content taken from old Grid titles, which are no longer for sale (because Codemasters was cheap on the licensing)? So the point is moot anyway.

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Miatakias_GR said:

Come on Natan,  let's not shoot them for anything,  Grid series (excepting Grid 2) handling/physics is good and the main reason we all love Grid games,  graphics of grid 19 is an other story.. Also Assetto corsa has weird handling unplayable with gamepad (you need wheel) and the chase camera behind the car  is the worst in any racing game with Nfs shift 1-2, there you feel that the cars floating like boats.. 

This may have something to do with a slight input lag because the same 'floaty' effect was there in PCARS 2 chase views and that seemed to be down to the increased demands of this view slightly bottlenecking controller response. It was never really resolved on base XB1's but completely disappeared on the X1X. I've played AC on both PC and X1X and as someone who plays largely in cockpit view haven't personally witnessed this - but that's not saying it doesn't exist.

The only thing wrong with Grid's handling is that every vehicle seems to have the same identical weird understeer when tapping the world's most powerful handbrake button. Every car has a bit of a wibble-wobble and seems to want to drive towards the barriers. Apart from that I do agree that the handling in all Grid games (especially Grid 2 lol) is pretty decent. 

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_

14 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

Also, speaking of "stealing", isn't that content taken from old Grid titles, which are no longer for sale (because Codemasters was cheap on the licensing)? So the point is moot anyway.

As long as they're from GRID2 or GAS, they are still available 🙂

31 minutes ago, UP100 said:

As long as they're from GRID2 or GAS, they are still available 🙂

Still. "Stealing" is taking something and directly preventing the owner from profit or use. At worst, what you have with these mods is copyright infringement, and since they are not for sale but for fans by the fans, I'd be more careful with the insults.

Your comparison of that to a Codemasters-employed artist taking content that will directly benefit monetarily a large company is pretty silly. But still not "stealing" in the case of the artist.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

44 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

Still. "Stealing" is taking something and directly preventing the owner from profit or use. At worst, what you have with these mods is copyright infringement, and since they are not for sale but for fans by the fans, I'd be more careful with the insults.

Your comparison of that to a Codemasters-employed artist taking content that will directly benefit monetarily a large company is pretty silly. But still not "stealing" in the case of the artist.

Eh? I just use the same words others use. The verb used doesnt really matter, be whatever it is as long as it's understanable. 

Still the assets have been directly ripped fron the game. Whatever you want to call it 🙂

Also if I'd know he is selling it, I would've done something like how some peeps from the rF2 community did

Edited by UP100
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Also if I'd know he is selling it, I would've done something like how some peeps from the rF2 community did

And yet, you chose to make the silly comparison.

• Confused 1
  • Disagree 1

Interesting how Codemasters are allowed to tamper with other peoples' intellectual copyright for their own financial gain (Nintendo...Game Genie...Lawsuit..yes, some of us are old enough to remember) but nobody is allowed to tamper with Codemasters' intellectual copyright for any reason whatsoever. There's also a small matter of Camerica which bypassed/glitched the cartridge's copyrighted and patented authentication system so that games could bypass Nintendo's over-fussy and highly expensive quality control checks (in place to protect the consumer). Not a Codemasters innovation, granted, but nonetheless something that Codemasters benefited hugely with when it came to releasing unlicensed and untested games. 

Hmm, did somebody mention the word "hypocrisy" up there?

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_

3 hours ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

Interesting how Codemasters are allowed to tamper with other peoples' intellectual copyright for their own financial gain (Nintendo...Game Genie...Lawsuit..yes, some of us are old enough to remember) but nobody is allowed to tamper with Codemasters' intellectual copyright for any reason whatsoever. There's also a small matter of Camerica which bypassed/glitched the cartridge's copyrighted and patented authentication system so that games could bypass Nintendo's over-fussy and highly expensive quality control checks (in place to protect the consumer). Not a Codemasters innovation, granted, but nonetheless something that Codemasters benefited hugely with when it came to releasing unlicensed and untested games. 

Hmm, did somebody mention the word "hypocrisy" up there?

Game Genie is "quite" different from exporting assets from a work without permission 😁 Especially as I believe the judge saw it as (for example) crossing over words from a book you own. 

About hypocrisy. My point was how Codies is the only one that gets hate about something that should be equally hated no matter who is the one doing it. There have been loads of times that someone is selling poorly converted Codemasters' assets/tracks as a mod and most don't bat an eye about that.

It seems that the F2002 creator also had no rights for the likeness of the Ferrari F2002, but he was selling it. That's why nothing ever happened in terms of lawsuits or so on.

If you got any futher questions, then probably best to shoot a PM as I've driven you all off the topic thanks to me being bored earlier today. Sorry! 🙂 

Edited by UP100

@UP100

Dude this is how almost all of existing mods are done. Resident Evil with Witcher characters, GTA with NFS cars etc etc!

If you so jealous - you could make GRID friendly for modding too. And modders would "steal" tracks for GRID :) To be said, big modding community is what makes people to stay with the game much longer. That was your choice to make "closed" game. Instead insulting others for stealing - learn how to make the game attractive for gamers.

Codies are hated because they released the game which looks worse than THEIR OWN 6 YEARS OLD GAME! With TWO(!) racing modes!!! With zero features in multiplayer!!!
What in the universe can justify that???

Edited by lastbreath
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 2

Seems "The Team" was "hard at work" doing downgrades on top of the pile.  😂

Edited by jesped
  • Haha 2

Maybe it's a bug? Perhaps "the team" will fix it? 😂

Edited by Leo Natan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Looking at patch notes, it says:

PLEASE NOTE: For PC players, once you download this update, the game will start full-screen at 1080p with default graphics settings,so users will have to reconfigure their graphics settings custom settings were used before the update.

Could be the settings reset and they didn't notice?

Edit: Ah no, the "season 2" patch is not out yet. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Leo Natan

On 2/6/2020 at 8:52 PM, Leo Natan said:

Maybe it's a bug? Perhaps "the team" will fix it? 😂

Well I'd say it's a bug if we consider a bug something that was not meant to happen from the developer's perspective.

I'd say most likely some change has had an unnoticed effect on it... or the current version of it is from a different build, as builds are always evolving and sometimes it's hard to keep track of them 🙂 

@UP100

is the CM team doing something with those trees or overexposed sky? could you confirm there will be some update with seasons? are they interested about that or just they arent?

Edited by minetti
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, minetti said:

@UP100

is the CM team doing something with those trees or overexposed sky? could you confirm there will be some update with seasons? are they interested about that or just they arent?

I'm afraid you'll have to ask Codies about that 🙂 I forgot that people cannot see my signature on mobile. 

Most likely they're doing small adjustments between builds at least.

50 minutes ago, UP100 said:

In the next build, they are removing the wipers. No water droplets, no need for wipers to take all that performance. 😂

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Meanwhile in a game from 2014 + some free mods...   😂

Edited by jesped
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

Stop stealing contentz, jesped!

Kazunori Yamauchi called too. He wants his Gran Turismo models back. 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UP100 said:

I'm afraid you'll have to ask Codies about that 🙂 I forgot that people cannot see my signature on mobile. 

aah sorry, I should ask @ChrisGrovesMCM

I have already read the major threads, unfortunately

I see that Codies pretend to be deaf and close threads where the cards are on the table

now when the broth is cooked, only the good PR and sales result count I think

the environment is ugly step back and real shame according to the date 2019/2020

the game is not cheap, in many aspects it is worse than the forgotten autosport with drifting and splitscreen gem features.

with all due respect for the creators, I will see the second season and dump this title from my console because I feel a bit stuffed in a bottle by this cardboard graphics worthy of the late 90's

I will think three times before buying something with the Codemasters logo again

Edited by minetti
  • Agree 2