DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×

[GRID 2019] Graphics Discussion - Why exactly it looks #LikeNoOther

1477104625110531972.jpg.7a87ca0a79f57031bc30536ce5d1bd83.jpg

As far as I heard, CMs added high option to LOD!

So can someone check how it works? Remember that infamous shadow flick on the first turn in Chicago? If someone doesn't know what I'm talking about:

GRID_Shadows.gif

Is the situation better now? Check this, please.

Looked the same to me when I tried the "season 2" patch. Shadows still fade in 2-3m in front of the car. 😞

anyone know, are the F1 / DIRT 2 / GRID on the same graphics engine?

Edited by minetti

2 hours ago, minetti said:

anyone know, are the F1 / DIRT 2 / GRID on the same graphics engine?

Dirt 2 and Grid are ancient, but historically, it's the same engine. Modern F1 (2015+) titles use the same engine as Grid 2019, as are Dirt 4 and Rally 2.0.

Watched some F1 videos. Trees on Red Bull Ring are nice, trees on Monza track - the same flickering nonsence... Looks like CMs can't in visuals anymore

Edited by lastbreath

3 hours ago, lastbreath said:

Then why the hell F1 has modern graphics and GRID looks like ****?

different team / studio i think

about the engine i'm not sure but it could be the same

looks like the F1 project is way better managed

4 hours ago, lastbreath said:

Then why the hell F1 has modern graphics and GRID looks like ****?

😂

That's what we've been trying to decipher in this and other similar threads here over the last few months.

Most likely, Codemasters sees this as a quick cash grab, so they didn't invest in a proper "team".

GRID 2019 is running on the same engine (EGO 3) as the following games:

• F1 2015-
  • DiRT 4
  • DiRT Rally 2.0

Though being on the same engine doesn't mean anything in the games is similiar, as what people usually see as the engine may be only developed for a single game/game series.

F1 games are also developed by the Birmingham guys whose games are at times quite different from the Southam games in terms of features.

• Agree 1

So, I must admit EGO3 has very ****** visual capabilities. DIRT3 had waves on water, DIRT Rally has plain texture. GRID2 had very distant LoD, GRID2019 has flickering shadows and trees in front of your car...

I think one thing we are forgetting is Autosport had a HD texture pack as free DLC, with this grid the PC gamers are pretty much stuck with 'Made for Console' as happens for many multi platform releases, still surprising that a lot of the assets in GAS look better while having a higher FPS than 2019.

HD textures won't help if the game has 3 meters LOD. Everything close to the car is very beautiful, even trees, but horizon.......

Simple fog and f,,-up lighting don't help also... 

Edited by lastbreath

On 2/15/2020 at 11:54 PM, lastbreath said:

So, I must admit EGO3 has very ****** visual capabilities. DIRT3 had waves on water, DIRT Rally has plain texture. GRID2 had very distant LoD, GRID2019 has flickering shadows and trees in front of your car...

These usually tend to have quite next to nothing to do with the engine in itself. For example you've also said the LOD is fine in F1 2019, no?

but yeah. We don't know how the code is managed at all, and which parts of it are the engine, and which are game specific code. If only they would be using Unity... we could just read through the entire code (or at least with normal C# applications/games)

21 hours ago, GavinMac said:

I think one thing we are forgetting is Autosport had a HD texture pack as free DLC, with this grid the PC gamers are pretty much stuck with 'Made for Console' as happens for many multi platform releases, still surprising that a lot of the assets in GAS look better while having a higher FPS than 2019.

But the size of the game installation is already at 73GB :classic_wacko:

4 hours ago, RipHawk said:

But the size of the game installation is already at 73GB :classic_wacko:

crazy eh ?

i still think toca race driver 3 looks good, runs great & is a small installation compared to 73GB

• Agree 2

On 2/18/2020 at 1:55 PM, GavinMac said:

GRID Autosport's "HD texture pack" was for cars ONLY. It didn't change the tracks or anything else. Not that GRID 2019 has better textures for cars anyway...

So I see Grid 2019 is on 50% sale again. 😂 Instead of just lowering prices and going on sales, just fix your game Codemasters.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, OugaBooga said:

crazy eh ?

i still think toca race driver 3 looks good, runs great & is a small installation compared to 73GB

Lovely game.. Have you recently tried it??I had not tried for over 3 years  i remember it has still many players online that time..

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, GavinMac said:

seriously??? my ar... would look pixelated if you zoom in enough!!!

That's not zoomed, it's captured from a blurred youtube video and that's the part of the car that is in front of your face, in the center of the screen...  🤷‍♂️

Point is...    5 years older GRID Autosport had BETTER car textures with the HD pack, among many other aspects we've been detailing in this and other threads...

Edited by jesped

4 hours ago, Miatakias_GR said:

Lovely game.. Have you recently tried it??I had not tried for over 3 years  i remember it has still many players online that time..

yea, played it last yr around the time grid 2019 came out, & again a few days ago.

i am happy i got it before steam removed it.