F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

[GRID 2019] Graphics Discussion - Why exactly it looks #LikeNoOther

let's give the new game maintainer a chance, a lot has already been written and shown here.

@ChrisGrovesMCM left us yesterday but declared that changing guardian means community feedback on sugestions about GRID 👈

so lets see how it works 🤝 @CMTGK Houston do you hear me? 😀

the main issue is poor ambient graphic as for game of breake 2019/2020 and we found 🧐 that textures are so much better in Grid AS from 2014 😵

it seems that this could be easily improved and we all wish and pray for it 🙏

the same is about those trees which simply require remodeling of a few 💩 basic units 👺

this game could sell better and set standards in raceing if the TEAM 👯‍♀️ gathered strength and improve those elements that so strongly spoil the good experience of playing GRID 👈

Edited by minetti

3 hours ago, minetti said:

so lets see how it works 🤝 @CMTGK Houston do you hear me?

poor guy, i don't want to be in his shoes )))

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/20/2020 at 5:32 PM, lastbreath said:

Are there any news from modders? It's vital to increase LOD in this gaem

There is not much that can be done with this. Codemasters made sure mods will not be interfering with their DLC and obsolescence plans.

This game is a total pile, and not only in the visual aspect. There's no saving it changing some textures or even models here and there. There isn't a proper foundation underneath all that for any effort to make any kind of sense.

The best thing Codemasters could do at this point is the same they did releasing GRID Autosport as a "sorry, we know we fuqed up" after the general disappointment with Grid 2. It took them 1 year to release GRID Autosport after Grid 2. But hey, if they ever do, they'll be taking another $60 from you...    I'm not going to buy any more Codemasters games, ever, before release. If I ever do, it's gonna be after a lot of serious reviews, not some paid youtubers promos with early access and free preview codes.

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, jesped said:

The best thing Codemasters could do at this point is the same they did releasing GRID Autosport as a "sorry, we know we fuqed up"

I wish they would wake up and notice what ***** game design decisions they have made and what a half game and bugfest they have released... The responsible people should get fired asap..! 

And on top of that and kinda funny but they made sure to implement the ***** things from Grid AS: Reverse Race tracks

Edited by Ak1504
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, jesped said:

There is not much that can be done with this. Codemasters made sure mods will not be interfering with their DLC and obsolescence plans.

As far as I know the game does no checks for any game modifications, so you're incorrect. No one just cares about modding the game as I believe Ryder is the only person to even release "a tool for it".

I've modified the game myself for example...

overall despite these graphical mishaps and truncated content, must say I love this drive model 🙂

I´m working on the next comparison video... Red Bull Ring... Footage is recorded only need to find time to fiddle it together ^^

17 hours ago, jesped said:

releasing GRID Autosport as a "sorry, we know we fuqed up" after the general disappointment with Grid 2

What a precise phrase! I coudn't say better!

At least 6 years ago they had the balls to admit it

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 2

@jesped

We have no evidence of the people promoting this game on YouTube being paid. If there were, they would (legally) have to disclose that they are being paid to sponsor the game. And most developers (Like 343 Industries with their Outpost Discovery, and Activision with their Call of Duty series) encourage others to have a free mind about the game, rather than be 100% good about it. Promotion about games will always happen with ANY game in early access, so while I do not support getting the game without info, I do think boycotting all Codemasters games before release would be a bit harsh and unnecessary, There will always be great Codemasters games in the past, Like Grid 2 and F1 2017 and Dirt Rally 2.0 (even without DLC).

Understand that it is MY opinion, and that there will be some of you who get triggered by this set of comments.

Edited by CordedQuill42

On 2/21/2020 at 12:36 PM, GavinMac said:

Got to be impressed with the level of detail in GAS

image.thumb.png.33bf3e6b8741febc8f3e72d63cfb85da.png

image.png.10430c57cd56b348981ac1b0cb3965fb.png

Original Grid

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, UP100 said:

As far as I know the game does no checks for any game modifications, so you're incorrect. No one just cares about modding the game as I believe Ryder is the only person to even release "a tool for it".

I've modified the game myself for example...

I didn't say the game checks for modifications, so you are the incorrect one. Codemasters have been closing their games to modding since Dirt3 or so. Now in GRID 2019 you can't even change LOD and Shadows distances in the .ini files. 

What have you modified in the game?  some car/tire skin?

There are 8 mods in total for GRID 2019 in RaceDepartment. All of them are tire skins. https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/categories/grid-2019-video-game.190/

For GRID Autosport there are 223 mods, modding lighting, cameras, quality settings, ...    https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/categories/grid-autosport.42/

Edited by jesped
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, CordedQuill42 said:

@jesped

We have no evidence of the people promoting this game on YouTube being paid. If there were, they would (legally) have to disclose that they are being paid to sponsor the game. And most developers (Like 343 Industries with their Outpost Discovery, and Activision with their Call of Duty series) encourage others to have a free mind about the game, rather than be 100% good about it. Promotion about games will always happen with ANY game in early access, so while I do not support getting the game without info, I do think boycotting all Codemasters games before release would be a bit harsh and unnecessary, There will always be great Codemasters games in the past, Like Grid 2 and F1 2017 and Dirt Rally 2.0 (even without DLC).

Understand that it is MY opinion, and that there will be some of you who get triggered by this set of comments.

They were flown over to special events, given early copies, ...   NOT A SINGLE ONE said just even ONE bad thing about the game or warn about any problem. NOT A SINGLE ONE. It was all amazing and incredibly great...   until it got released and the real buyers that paid $60 for it realized it was full of bugs, short on content, lacked modes, multiplayer was a disaster, ...

So yeah...   you know now how trustworthy all those youtubers are.

Preordering is CANCER for the videogame industry. It's throwing away your money at Companies that will make worse games because of it.

https://kotaku.com/stop-preordering-video-games-5909105

https://www.wired.com/2016/08/stop-preordering-games/

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/stop-pre-ordering-video-games/

https://www.cnet.com/news/you-should-never-ever-preorder-a-video-game/

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, jesped said:

I didn't say the game checks for modifications, so you are the incorrect one. Codemasters have been closing their games to modding since Dirt3 or so. Now in GRID 2019 you can't even change LOD and Shadows distances in the .ini files. 

What have you modified in the game?  some car/tire skin?

There are 8 mods in total for GRID 2019 in RaceDepartment. All of them are tire skins. https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/categories/grid-2019-video-game.190/

For GRID Autosport there are 223 mods, modding lighting, cameras, quality settings, ...    https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/categories/grid-autosport.42/

They aren't really closing down the game, just changing their filesystems etc. that is usually done to lower filesizes etc. What has actually happened is that most "actual" modders quit around that time. 

GAS is an "Old EGO" game, and more tools were developed for "Old EGO". Now that we only have Ryder and so, there arent that many new tools at all.

• Haha 1

The problem is the game doesn't involve NEW software and content makers.

Frankly speaking, when I watch gameplay videos without all that score pop-us and racing lines - I really like what I see. If only they put more effort in this game...

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 1

true

all we need ... better textures, some updates of ambient and new tracks

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, lastbreath said:

The problem is the game doesn't involve NEW software and content makers.

It doesn't have to - and screenshots of previous games (on last gen consoles) kind of emphasise that point. Plus, if you look at DR1 and Dirt 4 it does show that providing something is created within the capabilities of the game engine (which I assume is similar to the one in Grid) then something with more than acceptable visuals for a videogame can still be developed. 

This issue isn't unique to Grid and anyone who has access to content migrated from DR1 to DR2 can immediately see those all too familiar poor distance details, less onscreen assets and low lighting draw distances in the newer game - to the point where the near horizon in Finland has to be fogged to hide these technical problems. 

Whatever they have added since Dirt 4 (I lean towards the overdone lighting effects) suggests they now have a inherent problem and with future racing games doubtless planned I just hope Codemasters have the common sense to either backtrack or use the recently acquired tech from SMS to get things back on track.

If not then as Dan Greenawalt once suggested when speaking about changes implemented in FMS7; "if you don't like it then there are other similar games out there". People (myself included) did go elsewhere and by a miraculous coincidence changed things back to the 'Forza way of doing things', so a little food for thought, Codemasters. Through greater choice of games most have moved on from being dumb gamers who buy any old overpriced shovelware.

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, UP100 said:

They aren't really closing down the game, just changing their filesystems etc. that is usually done to lower filesizes etc. What has actually happened is that most "actual" modders quit around that time. 

GAS is an "Old EGO" game, and more tools were developed for "Old EGO". Now that we only have Ryder and so, there arent that many new tools at all.

Had to have a giggle UP100, you are right, usually these changes are done to lower files sizes and for new engines but this is where codemasters is right now...

Grid Autosport... 15GB

Grid 2019... 73GB

Considering how many more tracks and cars GAS has and the better quality graphics... I am going to need a bigger hard drive if we get more content... 73GB is GTAV territory!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, GavinMac said:

Had to have a giggle UP100, you are right, usually these changes are done to lower files sizes and for new engines but this is where codemasters is right now...

Grid Autosport... 15GB

Grid 2019... 73GB

Considering how many more tracks and cars GAS has and the better quality graphics... I am going to need a bigger hard drive if we get more content... 73GB is GTAV territory!

Having higher filesize doesnt mean the changes werent made to increase performance, lower filesize of the files etc. 🙂

Older EGO3 games were quite significantly smaller in filesize. 

9 hours ago, UP100 said:

Oh, I see...   so the modders are to blame because "they quit" 🤦‍♂️   are you for real?

I did the whole BayetasMod for Grid2 just editing text files: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/bayetas-mod.439/

It featured:

1. New physics and car settings/handling for higher realism.
2. 12 new Immersive Camera Views + Replay cameras.
3. Improved lighting and visuals rendering. Lots of changes both in locations and cameras settings for a more realistic look. Softer lens flares, adjusted colour balance, tonemap, DoF, motion blur, distortion, bloom, dust, streaks, etc.
4. Optimized HQ Settings for top visuals quality and performance (+60fps @ 2560x1440 - Radeon7970)
5. Improved ForceFeedback for wheels. (You may need to recalibrate your ingame FFB strengths balance using it, but this FFB is MUCH more realistic if you drive using a wheel)
6. TrackIR support. Works too during Flashbacks and in realtime during Replays. There is a special camera support in Cameras 2 and 3 (Extreme Immersive strength 1-2) that allows to use a control to turn the head back smoothly while using TrackIR all the time to look backwards.

Again, all just editing .ini files. 

Now tell me again they don't close the games. "just changing filesystems etc"...    to close the game.

Pretending these changes were done to lowering file sizes, when we are talking about 1 to 50Kb text files in a 73GB game is a pathetic excuse.

They don't want to allow modding like they used to. Even for the most basic stuff like extending LOD's. Period.

Edited by jesped
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 4

Some of it will be to stop cheating, used to be bad in some grid games with teleporting or over-speed racers but in reality the changes will be due to new coding/modeling/engine software that is better designed for collaboration and change management over the different gaming platforms.

18 minutes ago, GavinMac said:

Some of it will be to stop cheating, used to be bad in some grid games with teleporting or over-speed racers but in reality the changes will be due to new coding/modeling/engine software that is better designed for collaboration and change management over the different gaming platforms.

Cheating had nothing to do with it, mods that modified physics and cars were already detected and only worked offline. Cheaters use other kind of tools to cheat.

You don't remove .ini files and put them encrypted/unaccesible inside other files because that's a better design for "collaboration" or has anything to do with different platforms.
You do that to prevent people outside your Company to modify them.

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 1