Motorsport Games, Codemasters and FIA World Rallycross Championship presented by Monster Energy partner to create the World RX Esports Invitational Read more... ×

[GRID 2019] Graphics Discussion - Why exactly it looks #LikeNoOther

24 minutes ago, Ak1504 said:

Hm weird. Tbh i prefer the GRID 2019 look. Textures are a bit sharper, not overly bright and with a weird color tone as GRID AS and in the far distance GRID AS is not as sharp as you can clearly see on the screens.

GAS has a lower resolution asphalt texture and it is too bright. What GAS errs on the side of undersaturation, GRID 2019 does in oversaturation...  😂

Then the sky is more realistic in GAS, GRID 2019 sky looks cartoonish. And the AntiAliasing in GRID 2019 is simply bugged, those cables with the lamps look just horrible.

The whole situation when we have to argue what game has better visuals, new or 6yo one, is ridiculous by itself. Taking into account how beautiful GRID2/GAS were in 2013, after 6 years passed new GRID should look like this

chinatown-san-francisco-attraction.jpg

no less!

Of course, Codies can say that they added cockpit and it ate extra resources. But, we have Forza, which is open world. And it looks better. We have old Driveclub which also has cockpit and it looks better... 

Edited by lastbreath
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, jesped said:

So the building on the left looks better to you than the one on the right?

image.png.4e12111fd853cd572db878d8970cc696.png

For definite. Apart from been a bit on the dark side and a little soft (blurry), with the extra details (crowds, canopies over the windows etc) it feels more atmospheric and gives a greater feeling that a bunch of psychotic racedrivers are on their way.....and the tree looks nicer. If I were a squirrel then yeah, I would happily build a squirrel house in those branches 

😋

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_
  • Like 2
  • Disagree 1

12 hours ago, jesped said:

Things that looked better 5 years ago...
image.thumb.png.7c5f34a1efd7f6a83c815126e02e4b05.pngimage.thumb.png.c82459cd876d1c4f028715343b40bb68.png

This is just baffling. That building on the right, the whole atmosphere of the location...
image.thumb.png.d457156758ec446d1a3e84caa3fc3426.png

I guess an Okutama comparision like this would be bonkers. 👀

In all fairness, they both look pretty good.  But my first reaction is that the left side looks better to me (I realize that is only a personal opinion).  

The colors on the left just look more vibrant, the buildings, the sky.  The right side looks like a photo (it looks very good), but the left side looks like I'm actually there.

Also, I realize the cameras may be off a bit, but the perspective of the right side doesn't look correct.  The buildings in the back look too far away.  The buildings on the left look more natural.  Again, photo vs. real.

So, which game did I pick?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Ak1504 said:

Screenshot_117.jpg

See, on these photos, I still think the left looks better.  Yes, I see the "breakup" in cables with lamps, but I would contribute that to the glare of the sky.  The roads look pretty good in both, the left just looks like it's been resurfaced recently.  But as you look to the distance, the right side looks blurrier.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Sir.Smoke said:

I would contribute the breakup in cables to lower resolution

You think so?  I'm not sure... you can see the cables on the bridge way in the back.

14 hours ago, jesped said:

image.thumb.png.d6f5e9d110b57bcf2bc46d1bf5023b98.png

This one I think is harder to judge. That's because it appears the sun is in a different position on each (I say that based on the shadows).  Both look very good, but I like the perspective on the left better; the right seems too far away.  Also, on the left side I can definitely see the bystanders... on the right, I'm not sure.

I'm on the fence on the trees.  The trees on the right are too far away to get a feel of detail, but the ones on the left... they look good, but my mind is telling me they are fake trees. (does that even make sense?)

Come on, guys...    the cables thing, the terrace railings, the cables in the bridge...

image.pngimage.png

are all clearly due to a bad TAA implementation. It was reported a month ago in the original graphics thread. But the people that had to listen didn't:
image.pngimage.png

It doesn't have anything to do with glares or low res. Im assuming @Ak1504 did a fair comparision and ran both games at the same resolution...   just load these images at full res and see how there's a lot of aliasing and artifacts in both the cables and the palm trees on the left GRID 2019 images.

Edited by jesped

Sorry, I guess I picked the wrong side.  In my defense though, I don’t know what TAA implementation or aliasing is… I do know what artifacts are, but I’m guessing it’s not the same thing you’re referring to.

I’m just your average, every day, run-of-the-mill, gamer. 

I was just judging the images based on the total composition, not each pixel in the image… sorry, my bad.

Thanks for the feedback all!

As you'd expect, all the feedback is being investigated and logged. Just because every comment posted doesn't get a response, doesn't mean it's not being looked into. That would be... tiresome, and annoying for you! 

If there is something specific you ever want to report, feel free to use the Technical Assistance page and follow the guidelines to give us every chance of acting upon it. As well as that, though, general sentiment on all aspects of the game are tracked. Chill.

Thanks 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, SourceCodeError said:

I don’t know what TAA implementation or aliasing is…

Aliasing is jaggy edges:
Image result for graphics aliasing

AntiAliasing are techniques to fix that effect.

A good example of TAA (Temporal Anti Aliasing) is Alias Isolation, a free mod for Alien Isolation. Check if you can spot the difference:

Edited by jesped

The exact same image as we see it on consoles (untouched 4k / X1X)

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/boris-the-frog/screenshot/13191027

You will notice one or two thing immediately - and those things directly point to the fact that when considering variations in quality of games it's important to remember that we on consoles don't see what you see because we don't have the benefit of using our consoles (where applicable) to their maximum capabilities like you PC guys have, so sometimes differing opinions will occur. The exact same applies to Grid 2019. When people see comparable screenshots and think; "hey, those Grid 2019 shots are loads better" it's said for a very specific reason, so with that in mind it is kind of unfair for those with better hardware utilisation capabilities to simply dismiss others using alternative (less accessible) hardware with a token "you're wrong" reply without asking reasons as to why these opinions differ.

Having now seen the game (as well as having other comparable games) I will full on admit that the *street circuits* in Grid 2019 are by far and away the best i've ever seen on consoles and minor graphics infractions are of little relevance because until we are also given the opportunity to tinker with our tools, so to speak, they are already part and parcel of our consoles anyway. That is the reason as to "why".....

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_

Sorry, lovers of left picture :classic_tongue:, but on the right we can see volume and even pattern, while on the left side are empty plane textures image.png.4e12111fd853cd572db878d8970cc696.jpg.12fbf4124d55d9f2a9c40cf84783e8ff.jpg

Also shadows are absolutely black

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 3

I don't know... It appears the things you've circled on the right are in the picture on the left as well, they just look like they've been designed a little differently.  But look at the people... the trees.. to me, the left just looks a lot better.  They even put in a fire escape!

Shadows are harder to judge, it depends on the time of day, cloud formations, current season... too many factors.

GRID 2019 has larger crowds, and added some elements like the stairs and canopies... and that ugly chromatic aberration.
5 years before, GRID Autosport had way sharper and much more detailed textures, indirect lighting, textures that simulate the offices inside the building... 
GRID 2019 lighting is a cartoonish joke, shadowed areas are pitch black, no indirect lighting there at all, no GI, and texture quality is just a blurry mess in comparision. You only need 👀 to see the difference, but in case someone is visually impaired, here is a 200% zoom:

image.thumb.png.6f1381c483e6d0bbe71f7db0c2781b7c.png

Edited by jesped

I think this actual building in real life had some reconstruction work last year, so the devs updated it in Grid 2019. Also a couple of the residents said they preffered the old look of their building as well.

🙂

• Haha 1

The devs took the opportunity at the same time to ditch the detailed and realistic textures, the light bounces, and to start testing a cartoony look for the next installment in the franchise: GRID Looney Tunes. 😂

20 minutes ago, jesped said:

The devs took the opportunity at the same time to ditch the detailed and realistic textures, the light bounces, and to start testing a cartoony look for the next installment in the franchise: GRID Looney Tunes. 😂

I disagree, but still find this funny 🙂

These are captured in game, no youtube videos anymore. Same cartoonish look, nothing has been changed:
image.thumb.png.342085a875930f30438a19f8fa7072eb.png
image.thumb.png.cdecdff41ff994a5229a97e111818c82.png

image.thumb.png.b7c92d6ac72b44d18b859dd001982088.png

Where all the "it will be fixed at release" people went?... 🤷‍♂️

What about modding? Did anyone look into game files? Are there textures in PSSG files like in old GRIDs?

20 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

What about modding? Did anyone look into game files? Are there textures in PSSG files like in old GRIDs?

Files are mostly .erp and .mipmaps

Ryder25 just added support for the version 4 erp files. That's a start to at least unpack everything and see a bit inside:

image.thumb.png.cd389b49ebd28e91500ce95908e51e57.png

But honestly, I don't think much will be fixed. Specially lighting, scenery assets... 
I haven't even found a way of simply tweak the LOD distances for shadows and trees, which is horribly near the camera, much less change any assets.

And I don't think any modders will be interested in putting serious work here, because:

1. The game is not modding friendly like Codemasters titles in the past were, and got good mods because of it.
  2. This game just doesn't deserve it. The base this games provides is lackluster and poor. It lacks so many features of the previous grids that the needed time to fix just some visual stuff won't pay off for most. You can't "mod" a proper career mode (instead a list of events). You can't "mod" the removed drift, destruction derby, etc.
Edited by jesped

10 hours ago, SourceCodeError said:

Also, I realize the cameras may be off a bit, but the perspective of the right side doesn't look correct.  The buildings in the back look too far away.

You are right, as you can clearly see on the pictures the Fov of the games and each view is different, and for GRID AS not adjustable at all. So its pretty hard to find a compromise for every location i choose for a picture to make them booth look as similar as possible from a position point of view. I mostly use objects and buildings to match on the outer sides left and right ect. 🙂

Speaking of view/camera FoV: If someone knows how to set the views to the same FoV in both games please let me know. I remember that there were some Camera Mods available on typical sites like RD for Codemasters racing games and that the Codemasters way of doing camera files was very weird/overly complicated and a pita compared to other games if i remember right 😄

This time: Barcelona - Memorial Run

Full gallery: https://abload.de/gallery.php?key=j57GYyTe

Btw:

- The lighting in GRID AS on this track looks so much better than the "cold blue`isch weird and too bright" from GRID AS San Francisco.

- One i think really big feature of the new game is that the tracks have a set of time of day and weather options to chose from instead of "the one and only" setting in GRID Autosport.

I noticed that GRID 2019 pics are always so blurry on the outer sides so it looks like chromatic aberration is applied. I should try to play with the gfx menu... Until now i had everything maxed out...

screenshot_1586mkg3.jpg

Edited by Ak1504
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sir.Smoke said:

I would contribute the breakup in cables to lower resolution

9 hours ago, jesped said:

Im assuming @Ak1504 did a fair comparision and ran both games at the same resolution.

Yes of course booth games at same resolution and maxed settings... Tbh i would not waste my time on making something up to make one game look bad...

As said long before release i really want to see the games in direct comparison because i´m interested and i have fun doing it ((and because i had to wait fkn 5 years to get finally a new GRID game in a fresh engine version 😄 )) and Only this way of direct comparison you can clearly discover the details...

One detail is that the clouds in GRID 2019 are not moving anymore like they did in GRID 2 and Autosport...  

Another one is that the "famous AA bridge" in the far distance at San Francisco, thats there since OG 2007 GRID, got moving traffic/different vehicles added in GRID Autosport and that detail is still there in GRID 2019 😄 

Edited by Ak1504
  • Thanks 1