F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

[GRID 2019] Graphics Discussion - Why exactly it looks #LikeNoOther

1 minute ago, GavinMac said:

Sure, cant blame codemasters trying to protect some of its IP though.

That's assuming they need "protection" from modders...

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, jesped said:

Cheating had nothing to do with it, mods that modified physics and cars were already detected and only worked offline. Cheaters use other kind of tools to cheat.

You don't remove .ini files and put them encrypted/unaccesible inside other files because that's a better design for "collaboration" or has anything to do with different platforms.
You do that to prevent people outside your Company to modify them.

About cheating: Not true in EGO 3 games to some extent at least. F1 2017 was the first EGO 3 game to include basic file checks for cheats I believe. That's already years after release of the engine. 

We dont know what the changes were made for most of the time, but for example .wem files seem to make playing large files easier than what it was before.

It's not like it's even rare for an engine to package things. EA titles, XNA/MonoGame, Unity and so on... 

48 minutes ago, UP100 said:

About cheating: Not true in EGO 3 games to some extent at least. F1 2017 was the first EGO 3 game to include basic file checks for cheats I believe. That's already years after release of the engine. 

We dont know what the changes were made for most of the time, but for example .wem files seem to make playing large files easier than what it was before.

It's not like it's even rare for an engine to package things. EA titles, XNA/MonoGame, Unity and so on... 

Modified files were checked in GRID 2 and switched to an "only offline" alternative save/mode. In 2013. They allowed modding and this is proof they even actively supported it.

What are you trying to say? that the total inability of modding anything but skins they've been enforcing since then is just "coincidence" and has nothing to do with Codemasters actively wanting to prevent modding?  because that's an unbelievable and laughable excuse mate...

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 1

TBH I doubt they gave it any thought, much like the multiplayer in GRID 2019 😜

22 minutes ago, jesped said:

Modified files were checked in GRID 2 and switched to an "only offline" alternative save/mode. In 2013. They allowed modding and this is proof they even actively supported it.

I knew about this, but I only mentioned EGO 3 games 🙂 

22 minutes ago, jesped said:

What are you trying to say? that the total inability of modding anything but skins they've been enforcing since then is just "coincidence" and has nothing to do with Codemasters actively wanting to prevent modding?  because that's an unbelievable and laughable excuse mate...

I'm saying that archiving files is the standard all across development teams and engines. Trying to prevent modifications simply does not work as all filetypes get cracked easily, because you literally have the software there modifying the files.

For example a small indie team modified their own archive type for their game that was running on MonoGame. Did they do it to prevent modding? The developers wanted to look into giving the community modding tools, and the game was written in C# meaning that the whole source code would be available to everyone (so that someone could just simply take their import code and create a software that exports the files)

I decided to take a look at all the games I have installed on my laptop to see how many of those archive their files in some way

• Cobalt, custom engine, uses archiving or binary files for tiles, sprites/other data and localization. I most (if not all) lua files have been added in an update that included modding support
  • F1 2018 - As you know.
  • hackmud - Unity game, uses standard archives such as .assets etc.
  • Jalopy - Another Unity game
  • Lock's Quest - Another Unity game
  • Old Time Hockey, Monogame - Uses MonoGame content pipeline (aka archives sounds, effects, sprites, models, fonts etc)
  • Operation Flashpoint Red River - Some kind of archiving I've never seen in any other Codies title. OFDR was purposefully made moddable to an extent (including lua support for example)
  • Portal 2 - See Source's filetypes from here https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:File_formats
  • SHENZHEN IO - Sprites, sounds and etc are not compressed or archived in any way. Though there are still .cso files that I don't know the use of
  • Civilization V - Unbelievably has loads of lua files, config files and sounds. Still has a .civ5map format that is not plain text at least. Most likely binary
  • Tropico 5 - Uses an archive format.

I don't have many games on my laptop as I don't game much on my laptop 😛 

1 hour ago, UP100 said:

I knew about this, but I only mentioned EGO 3 games 🙂 

I'm saying that archiving files is the standard all across development teams and engines. Trying to prevent modifications simply does not work as all filetypes get cracked easily, because you literally have the software there modifying the files.

For example a small indie team modified their own archive type for their game that was running on MonoGame. Did they do it to prevent modding? The developers wanted to look into giving the community modding tools, and the game was written in C# meaning that the whole source code would be available to everyone (so that someone could just simply take their import code and create a software that exports the files)

I decided to take a look at all the games I have installed on my laptop to see how many of those archive their files in some way

• Cobalt, custom engine, uses archiving or binary files for tiles, sprites/other data and localization. I most (if not all) lua files have been added in an update that included modding support
  • F1 2018 - As you know.
  • hackmud - Unity game, uses standard archives such as .assets etc.
  • Jalopy - Another Unity game
  • Lock's Quest - Another Unity game
  • Old Time Hockey, Monogame - Uses MonoGame content pipeline (aka archives sounds, effects, sprites, models, fonts etc)
  • Operation Flashpoint Red River - Some kind of archiving I've never seen in any other Codies title. OFDR was purposefully made moddable to an extent (including lua support for example)
  • Portal 2 - See Source's filetypes from here https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:File_formats
  • SHENZHEN IO - Sprites, sounds and etc are not compressed or archived in any way. Though there are still .cso files that I don't know the use of
  • Civilization V - Unbelievably has loads of lua files, config files and sounds. Still has a .civ5map format that is not plain text at least. Most likely binary
  • Tropico 5 - Uses an archive format.

I don't have many games on my laptop as I don't game much on my laptop 😛 

You can divert the point all you want and dig any excuses, but the point still is: Codemasters was open to modding and supporting it years ago, now they are purposedly not.
It's not "coincidence", and it doesn't matter if "there are others doing the same". We are in the Codemasters forum talking about Codemasters here. About what they did in the past and what they do now.

Facts are you can't change even the most basic things like LOD's in GRID 2019 because Codemasters don't want you to change them, so they won't allow you to. Period.

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, GavinMac said:

TBH I doubt they gave it any thought, much like the multiplayer in GRID 2019 😜

Oh, I think they definitely do. They don't want modding fixing, improving and extending the life of their "products", so they can churn out half baked "products" annually or every few years and keep asking for more money from us.

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 3

12 minutes ago, jesped said:

You can divert the point all you want and dig any excuses, but the point still is: Codemasters was open to modding and supporting it years ago, now they are purposedly not.
It's not "coincidence", and it doesn't matter if "there are others doing the same". We are in the Codemasters forum talking about Codemasters here. About what they did in the past and what they do now.

Facts are you can't change even the most basic things like LOD's in GRID 2019 because Codemasters don't want you to change them, so they won't allow you to. Period.

Two games having mod support doesnt really mean much, eh? OFDR was basically only custom missions, and GRID 2 was mostly about having a way to modify the files without getting flagged as cheater, not to actually allow any new way to modify anything. 

Teams may change their priorities over the years, and that's most likely the case here as well. 

Have you actually checked that you cant change LOD values from the car's config files for example? We actually have access to those, you know. 

18 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Two games having mod support doesnt really mean much, eh? OFDR was basically only custom missions, and GRID 2 was mostly about having a way to modify the files without getting flagged as cheater, not to actually allow any new way to modify anything. 

Teams may change their priorities over the years, and that's most likely the case here as well. 

Have you actually checked that you cant change LOD values from the car's config files for example? We actually have access to those, you know. 

Yeah. We all know what their priorities are now. :classic_laugh:

I didn't mean the car's LOD. You can't fix the horrible shadows draw distance for example:

GRID_Shadows.gif

let alone all the rest of visual effects like lens flares, color balance, tonemap, DoF, motion blur, distortion, bloom, smoke, dust, streaks, etc. 
Or
 cameras, physics, handling, FFB, ...

It's not "two games". All of those things and more were accessible at least it Dirt 2, Dirt 3, Dirt Showdown, Grid, Grid 2, Grid Autosport. And it's no "coincidence" that now they are not.

But hey, you can change a tire texture. Great modding support. 😂

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, GavinMac said:

Even Grid2 managed to have round sat dishes!

They had to sacrifice their quality in favor of that lushly detailed new vegetation. 🤣

Edited by jesped
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, jesped said:

It's not "two games". All of those things and more were accessible at least it Dirt 2, Dirt 3, Dirt Showdown, Grid, Grid 2, Grid Autosport. And it's no "coincidence" that now they are not.

But hey, you can change a tire texture. Great modding support. 😂

Mate that's not support. Just because the files are there, it doesn't mean modding is supported. The loads of different files are still available in GRID 2019, but it doesn't have modding support either.

No Codemasters EGO game that I know of has offered the user with any kind of freedom except for OFDR which had lua scripting and mission creator. Feel free to add some more games into the list that I have inside my head, but I can't remember any at least.

20 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Mate that's not support. Just because the files are there, it doesn't mean modding is supported. The loads of different files are still available in GRID 2019, but it doesn't have modding support either.

No Codemasters EGO game that I know of has offered the user with any kind of freedom except for OFDR which had lua scripting and mission creator. Feel free to add some more games into the list that I have inside my head, but I can't remember any at least.

Quality settings, Cameras, physics, handling, FFB, lens flares, color balance, tonemap, DoF, motion blur, distortion, bloom, smoke, dust, streaks, etc.  were open and moddable in at least 6 titles (just that I know of, but sure they were more)

Now NOTHING of that can be modified. 
But I guess the modders are to blame and not Codemasters.
It wasn't Codemasters intentions and clear purpose to prevent modding. It was a thing that just "happened naturally", without any purpose, intention or thought put into it. In Happy-Land, in a gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane! 😂

You can beat around the bush with semantics and cover-up excuses all you want, pal, but those are the facts that anybody can check.

Edited by jesped

3 minutes ago, jesped said:

Quality settings, Cameras, physics, handling, FFB, lens flares, color balance, tonemap, DoF, motion blur, distortion, bloom, smoke, dust, streaks, etc.  were moddable in at least 6 titles (just that I know of, but sure they were more)

Now NOTHING of that can be modified. 
But I guess the modders are to blame and not Codemasters.
It wasn't Codemasters intentions and clear purpose to prevent modding. It was a thing that just "happened naturally", without any purpose, intention or though put into it. In Happy-Land, in a gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane! 😂

You can beat around the bush with semantics all you want, pal, but those are the facts that anybody can see.

Quality settings, lens flares, DoF, motion blur, bloom, streaks etc. are at least available for the user to modify. See /Documents/My Games/GRID (2019)/hardwaresettings/hardware_settings_config.xml

Loads of things can be modified, you just haven't tried anything.

19 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Quality settings, lens flares, DoF, motion blur, bloom, streaks etc. are at least available for the user to modify. See /Documents/My Games/GRID (2019)/hardwaresettings/hardware_settings_config.xml

Loads of things can be modified, you just haven't tried anything.

🤦‍♂️

Dude, have you even read the thread you are posting in?

Specially before pointing any fingers and making any accusations?

First page...

On 10/8/2019 at 7:57 AM, jesped said:

On the negative. There is only one .xml with options that can be edited, in Documents\My Games\GRID (2019)\hardwaresettings\hardware_settings_config.xml
(default settings)
image.thumb.png.e572bf5a3b8aeeecb7c63c3f4fb1e589.png

It doesn't have any settings to improve LOD, and some that seemed interesting like "crowdinShadows" doesn't work when set to True.

Still tests to run but it doesn't look that much can be done besides increasing shadows resolution and disabling features that doesn't have a proper option in the Advanced Settings menu: motionBlur, godRays, depthOfField, lensStreak, lensFlare, lensDust and bloom.

There is no SMAA option in the Advanced menu now, and the option here is set to False by default.

I'm talking about modding/editing/adjusting/tweaking those effects in the .xml files that were available in the game's folder for each track in previous games (among many other stuff) not just disabling them in the general config file.

What have you fixed in this xml file?  what sense makes that you can rise shadows resolution when the draw distance is 4 meters ahead of your car and you can see them literally being painted in front of you when you are playing?

Maybe you fixed or improved anything by disabling features? 🤔

Edited by jesped

1 hour ago, GavinMac said:

Even Grid2 managed to have round sat dishes!

Did you try to get closer to that dish in GRID2019? Maybe it is rectangular because of small draw distance?

---

jesped

dynamic hair??? WHAT?

no its just fubar, maybe if we looked at it from very far away it would look better!

This message is not here anymore. Please wait for the beep.

3 minutes ago, UP100 said:

I think the game can be modified just fine @jesped 👀

Sure. I'm sure everybody is amazed by such a stunningly awesome improvement...    😂

28 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

jesped

dynamic hair??? WHAT?

?

7 minutes ago, jesped said:

Sure. I'm sure everybody is amazed by such a stunningly awesome improvement...    😂

Well I proved ya the game can be modified by fixing the thing a lot of people have talked about 😛 Although that is definitely #likenoother damage

36 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

jesped

dynamic hair??? WHAT?

F1 is the answer to this.

• Like 1