[GRID 2019] Graphics Discussion - Why exactly it looks #LikeNoOther

22 hours ago, XenoRad said:

I've created a new thread under Technical Assistance for the LOD problem:

I believe the screenshots there should be all that's needed to acknowledge this issue, but of course others can come in with their examples. The point is that something needs to be done about this.

I also created another thread for the shadow render distance and quality.

You guys can feel free to add your own high-res examples there.

The same goes for trees and other things that are usually whizzing past you at 180mph+. They aren't the main focus of the race, therefore aren't given as much allocation from the resource budget. 

That being said, we have made many visual tweaks and improvements to GRID 2019 since launch. Whilst it's easy to take cropped screenshots and compare the finer details, they aren't a true representation of the entire picture, especially when comparing to early development videos. Obvious graphical bugs will continue to be reported, by me, but there won't be any overwhelming changes in how the game renders assets as mentioned above so please manage your expectations.

This game feels like such a unfinished project thrown together last minute. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I'm afraid that the concept of the Team is a deliberate marketing abuse here. CM is simply a well-known brand and it's easy to sell car games under this banner. Contracts are people who are to heat up the chops a little so that they can be sold again. Contents are cut at the same time because it makes no sense to raise costs since the financial result will be similar if we do half as much. Then a short testing phase and someone approves of it for sale. Persons participating in the project are billed and undertake other projects, remains to order the removal of possible errors. The design stage is closed. The rest is marketing costs, because from that moment only the sales result counts. That was the project 👈

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, minetti said:

I'm afraid that the concept of the Team is a deliberate marketing abuse here.

I'm trying to figure out what you mean by this...

Posted (edited)

it's a virtual impression that there is a group of designers who are constantly thinking how to improve this game. people did their job and the final product is launched (budget closed). the critical patch and DLC team are left. distribution sales managers and broadly understood marketing and social media spending remain. 

there won't be any overwhelming changes in how the game renders assets as mentioned above so please manage your expectations

Edited by minetti
  • Agree 1

<shadows enabled="false" skyShadowMapSize="1024" skyShadowCascadeCount="4" skyShadowLowLod="false" worldShadowMapSize="1024" skyShadowMap32Bits="false" nightShadowMapSize="1024" nightShadowCharacterCast="true" nightShadowSourceCount="4" sampling="1" spotShadowMapSize="1024" spotShadowSampling="1" crowdInShadows="false" />

shadows enabled="false"

try that, i dont see any difference other than there is no annoying lod shadow!

• Agree 1

Consider also setting trees enabled="false", trackAssets enabled="false", and while we're at it, installation shiftDelete="true". No difference will be noticeable, only 100GB free on your HDD.

• Haha 3

Codemasters - manage your expectations!

CMTGK accidentally delivered an amazing slogan for the studio 😆

• Haha 4

Was playing Autosport tonight with the guys, sitting on the starting line with good looking trees waving in the breeze!  SIGH!

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Grid 2019 ,

for the casual sim racer ,

,now codemasters that was your statement,. But what is actually sim about grid 2019 ,

i think if you produce a bad game then fix it, but don't blame your paying customers,

over last 9 months I've heard virtually every excuse known to mankind, 

i gave up 2 months ago and after buying into codemasters games like f1 and dirt rally either pre order or new ,

i will never ever buy a pre order or new game again, that's face it you only have to wait 2 months max and any game theyve produced is half price,

so I will manage my expectations thankyou very much lol,

saying that that's see if they manage to kill off project cars 3 , 

because that would show how stupid someone is after the success of Pcars 1,2 

Edited by senna94f1
Predictable texting hurts me finger
  • Agree 3

Find out why you should #manage your expectations with GRID 2019! 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

While it is true that PBR rendering pipeline takes a much higher toll on hardware than the older pipelines, it still doesn't explain why only Grid 2019 is suffering from these major issue out of all the EGO3 titles, such as the ones mentioned in your post (Dirt 4.0, Rally 2.0 and F1 2015+). While all of these games have graphical compromises (as do all games out there), none are as pronounced and egregious as in Grid 2019, and why that "manage your expectations" comment, which should not have any place in an official post, is so insulting.

Starting in 2014, the industry transitioned to PBR rendering pipelines, and it was a difficult transition. Look at Assassins Creed Unity, Batman Arkham Knight, etc. All these games had severe performance issues due to PBR techniques not being mature enough. But that was in 2014-2015! In 2019/2020, this is unacceptable.

@CMTGK Hopefully, this is a " reasonable " reply. 😂

Edited by Leo Natan
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 3

I hope that the honesty I'm articulating on the Forums is generally is appreciated. The context of my 'manage expectations' comment was to say that we won't be making massive changes in how the game generally renders assets/textures, so manage expectations when requesting changes.

"Obvious graphical bugs will continue to be reported, by me, but there won't be any overwhelming changes in how the game renders assets as mentioned above so please manage your expectations."

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

It's still not a good response, even in that context. The expectations from 2019 games should be high, because the industry set them high. Before a company releases a poor game, it should manage its own expectations for its target audience' reaction when the product is not on par with competition or its own other games using the same engine.

I don't think anyone here blames you for setting such a policy, and the honesty is indeed very appreciated. The disappointment is from your company, deciding to cut its losses and stop development on a game that should not have been released in such a miserable content or technical state. This does not bode well for future Codemaster titles, sorry.

• Agree 7

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

It's still not a good response, even in that context. The expectations from 2019 games should be high, because the industry set them high. Before a company releases a poor game, it should manage its own expectations for its target audience' reaction when the product is not on par with competition or its own other games using the same engine.

I think the responce is just telling you that you shouldn't go and expect the changes (that were previously talked about) to be developed to the game at this point. Expectations should be high, yes, but we've been told that they don't have the resources to change it... which is better than being quiet I'd say.

Everyone has to manage their expectations based on things we know. Even developers have to do it all the time, which is a problem for especially new developers 🙂 

Edited by UP100

Posted (edited)

I prefer worse but consistent graphics instead half stunning-half horrible picture.

I guess Stadia and its 40 cars is the reason why there wasn't enough resources for visuals

Designers of this "game" should never make games anymore

Even in replays they cut a moment when car is crossing the finish line.

This game fails almost in every aspect.

---

Edited by lastbreath
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)

"Moreover, with the resource budget available, our focus was on new content and the more important visual features, like your car, rival cars, track surface detail and other on-track features, as well as improved lighting, reflections, weather conditions..."

^ ^ When are you planning on releasing this game? ^ ^ 😋 

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, CMTGK said:

we won't be making massive changes in how the game generally renders assets/textures

Just give PC players the possibility to increase LOD for everything in settings or separate xml-file.

It all comes down to, sucks to be a PC gamer, we spend a fortune building something that defecates over consoles and then we are subjected to games that are built to a console standard.

Games should be built for PC graphical resources and then adjusted for console.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GavinMac said:

It all comes down to, sucks to be a PC gamer

Why? You still can play Wreckfest and download dozens of mods for it ))

Most fun racing in years!

Edited by lastbreath
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, GavinMac said:

It all comes down to, sucks to be a PC gamer

Why, because Codemasters created a terrible game? 😂😂😂

No. It's great to be a PC gamer. There are always bad apples here and there.

Even Codemaster's own other games are far superior on PC.

Edited by Leo Natan
  • Agree 2

It's not a terrible game - just one with bare minimum content and features, abysmal testing before launch and a complete lack of understanding what a multiplayer driving game should offer to satisfy all types of racers. It should have built on what came before.

The explanation from CM on the demands of the physics engine make logical sense and the new lighting and weather effects are (in my opinion) mostly a success.

But my PC is not constrained for CPU/GPU resources ...

I will always choose higher framerate over ultra graphics in a racing game, aiming for about 100 fps to get full control of the car. The low res trackside textures and awful shadow draw distance do not indicate a broken game, but should be fixed.

Please let us decide the balance between framerate and graphics quality 🤝

• Agree 1