[GRID 2019] Graphics Discussion - Why exactly it looks #LikeNoOther

<postprocess motionBlur="false" godRays="true" depthOfField="true" lensStreak="false" lensFlare="false" lensDust="true" bloom="false" />

<shadows enabled="false" skyShadowMapSize="2048" skyShadowCascadeCount="4" skyShadowLowLod="false" worldShadowMapSize="2048" skyShadowMap32Bits="true" nightShadowMapSize="2048" nightShadowCharacterCast="true" nightShadowSourceCount="4" sampling="2" spotShadowMapSize="1024" spotShadowSampling="2" crowdInShadows="false" />

<smoke_shadows enabled="true" mapSize="512" opacity="1.0" envOpacity="0.45" updateRate="2" />

9 hours ago, django|UKMD said:

Try removing motion blur by editing the hardware config XML file. You might be surprised by the results.

Point is why are the options in that file not in a menu in-game???

I don't know, but it has always been like that for some reason. At least on the F1 2019 side the game should automatically detect these changes and change the settings to "Custom" in-game.

21 hours ago, django|UKMD said:

Try removing motion blur by editing the hardware config XML file. You might be surprised by the results.

Point is why are the options in that file not in a menu in-game???

I have all post-processing off, it's the TAA that makes it blurry. If you manually change smaa to true with TAA off it does seem to make it look slightly better than just off, but still some noticeable aliasing

10 hours ago, BenRogue said:

I have all post-processing off, it's the TAA that makes it blurry. If you manually change smaa to true with TAA off it does seem to make it look slightly better than just off, but still some noticeable aliasing

Have you tried forcing AA options in the Nvidia control panel?

Does SMAA even do something these days? I think the last game to have in-game support for it was F1 2015 or 2016.

On 3/21/2020 at 6:56 AM, jesped said:

Have you tried forcing AA options in the Nvidia control panel?

I'm using a Radeon 5700XT. Forcing AA in Radeon software does not override the games settings for some reason. I can force SMAA via the XML but it's only marginally better. Would be nice if Codies just put all the settings in game. I wounder why there is no consistency between titles in terms of in-game graphics options, seems like that would be something that would be standardised/ streamlined across the studio? 

6 hours ago, BenRogue said:

I'm using a Radeon 5700XT. Forcing AA in Radeon software does not override the games settings for some reason. I can force SMAA via the XML but it's only marginally better. Would be nice if Codies just put all the settings in game. I wounder why there is no consistency between titles in terms of in-game graphics options, seems like that would be something that would be standardised/ streamlined across the studio? 

I was annoyed by the TAA too and disabled it, but then found the jaggies annoying. I ended up re-enabling it and activating the nVidia sharpening option to compensate for the blurriness which provided acceptable results overall.

As you have Radeon you could check your sharpening options available in the drivers. With tweaking you may keep TAA and find a good solution for you.

You can use Reshade too to apply several Sharpen and other filters.

• Agree 1

Yeah, Mafia 3 had terrible blurry visuals but with reshade 4.0 it became a nice looking game!

Posted (edited)

TAA and AMDs sharpening in the new Adrenalin drivers works perfectly fine for me. I do the same in Dirt Rally 2.0 as well.

Just update your drivers since up until recently sharpening only worked on dx12 games.

Edited by theravenousbeas

The blurry image is due to the chromatic aberration effect, not TAA.

noticed that aswell.
All I hope that with the arrival of the new consoles at the end of the year the quality of all games improves alot cause they don't have to tone it down so much for consoles.

And that codemasters if they make a new grid get rid of this stupid 3/5 race lobbies and a playlist for little children system.

And go back to the multiplayer style from the original grid.

Like no setup in multiplayer (let the driver be the most important thing to win a race again)

Chat text, spectate mode and the players in the lobby decide again wich class and wich track are next by most votes count

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Miatakias_GR said:

GRID [2019] vs GRID Autosport | Direct Comparison

I had to go to youtube and give that guy a thumbs down !!
Why?
"GRID 2019 has improved environmental complexity , superior damage effects and vastly improved lighting ..."

3 hours ago, Assiemodis said:

noticed that aswell.
All I hope that with the arrival of the new consoles at the end of the year the quality of all games improves alot cause they don't have to tone it down so much for consoles.

And that codemasters if they make a new grid get rid of this stupid 3/5 race lobbies and a playlist for little children system.

And go back to the multiplayer style from the original grid.

Like no setup in multiplayer (let the driver be the most important thing to win a race again)

Chat text, spectate mode and the players in the lobby decide again wich class and wich track are next by most votes count

Don't blame consoles for bad game developers. Both the original PS4 and Xbox One have much better looking and running games than this turd, let alone a modern PC, Xbox One X or PS4 Pro.

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)

Seems CM fixed the light and shadows problems inside the cockpit view, I just tested with 3 cars the Audi RS3 LMS, formula rockie and a Honda, but looks very nice now.

Edited by LottaLava

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Leo Natan said:

Don't blame consoles for bad game developers. Both the original PS4 and Xbox One have much better looking and running games than this turd, let alone a modern PC, Xbox One X or PS4 Pro.

I don't blame the consoles, but it is the reason why some games on pc don't look as good as could be 

And i wasn't talking about this game/developer only.

And it was a slap in my face what codemasters respons was about the lack of graphical options for pc version of this game.     

Edited by Assiemodis

Posted (edited)

I made some more races and they really fixed the cockpit, the dashboard is now well visible and most of the car inside, but there are places in front of the driver are still completely dark, like the steering wheel and we can´t see nothing down there. I thing it was a quick fix, but need more improvements.

Some parts of the tracks are very dark and hard to see where to go.

Edited by LottaLava

12 hours ago, Assiemodis said:

All I hope that with the arrival of the new consoles at the end of the year the quality of all games improves alot cause they don't have to tone it down so much for consoles

GRID2 was for PS3.

So GRID2019 already had to be improved.

In fact it IS improved but short LOD killed all visuals.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I think Suzuka is the best looking track (among circuits at least) .. And the trees are way better than those  of Australia , Okutama ect.. Its different kind of trees offcorse but l morer detailed in any case

The question is: why trees look that ugly in rest tracks ..

The answer is: rushed release

Edited by Miatakias_GR
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Still terrible LOD kills everything. I really can't remember any racing game with such short LOD. Oh wait, I can!

😄

Edited by lastbreath
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, lastbreath said:

Still terrible LOD kills everything. I really can't remember any racing game with such short LOD. Oh wait, I can!

😄

Yes LOD is still terrible , Driver 1/2 were lovely games on PS1