[GRID 2019] Graphics Discussion - Why exactly it looks #LikeNoOther

Posted (edited)

So...    either this new Dirt 5 trailer is total bs or other CM team put the GRID team to shame, again:

image.thumb.png.143115f2189f7c162ad756a041e7dc79.pngimage.thumb.png.d051132d50f0f5e20b61df9a612d040a.png

Edited by jesped

28 minutes ago, jesped said:

So...    either this new Dirt 5 trailer is total bs or other CM team put the GRID team to shame, again:

image.thumb.png.143115f2189f7c162ad756a041e7dc79.pngimage.thumb.png.d051132d50f0f5e20b61df9a612d040a.png

Well it's to be expected with Codemasters' first next gen title!

Posted (edited)

This is what current gen was supposed to be...

PS. Remember those visuals. You see them last time :classic_biggrin:

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

It is dirt 5.

Just saw I had received a mail about it with a link to a trailer but it gives a 404 error.  🙂

It says it is gonna be released in october

Edited by Assiemodis

1 hour ago, jesped said:

It's just SSR at a flattering angle. Why do you find it so unbelievable?

Both F1 and Dirt Rally 2.0 have SSR implementations that work acceptably. Grid is the joke game with the joke engine.

51 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

Yeah, DIRT 3 style at last...

As long as there is no "yo yo my wizzle fo shizzle yo gangsta yo x gaemz Ken Tardo Block yo yo" nonsense, I'm fine.

• Haha 2

On 5/7/2020 at 11:48 PM, Leo Natan said:

It's just SSR at a flattering angle. Why do you find it so unbelievable?

Both F1 and Dirt Rally 2.0 have SSR implementations that work acceptably. Grid is the joke game with the joke engine.

Hmm...  It's not very clear in the video, but don't think SSR can reflect the bottom of the car (it can only reflect what is on the screen, Forza uses a diferent kind of reflection for cars), but anyway, yeah...   any decent glossy real reflection looks generations better than GRID.

Graphics looks better than Grid 19 but still current gen and not next one!I wish i i am wrong but physics/handling from this first trailer look very close to tragic On Rush ,if it is like that i am not interested.. If handling/physics is close to Dirt 2 and the policy about dlc/pricing is fair i am in..

On 5/9/2020 at 1:04 AM, jesped said:

Hmm...  It's not very clear in the video, but don't think SSR can reflect the bottom of the car (it can only reflect what is on the screen, Forza uses a diferent kind of reflection for cars), but anyway, yeah...   any decent glossy real reflection looks generations better than GRID.

Yes, you are right. Modern reflections are terrible. SSR has so many caveats, especially the edges of the camera. For years, we had proper reflections in racing games, all running in 60 fps. But now everyone has to be trendy and (ab)use those ugly SSRs. And make no mistake, what you see in the trailer is definitely SSR. It exhibits all the artifacts of SSR.

SSR.png.248cec72bcc823da6af2043dd9550489.png

7 hours ago, Leo Natan said:

Yes, you are right. Modern reflections are terrible. SSR has so many caveats, especially the edges of the camera. For years, we had proper reflections in racing games, all running in 60 fps. But now everyone has to be trendy and (ab)use those ugly SSRs. And make no mistake, what you see in the trailer is definitely SSR. It exhibits all the artifacts of SSR.

SSR.png.248cec72bcc823da6af2043dd9550489.png

Yep, on a second view it was noticeable. DigitalFoundry noted it too in their analysis. So much for "next gen"...

12 hours ago, jesped said:

Yep, on a second view it was noticeable. DigitalFoundry noted it too in their analysis. So much for "next gen"...

With racing games, it is possible to fake reflections with more costly techniques at relative low cost. But in general, reflections are a hard problem. Until ray tracing becomes prevalent (it obviously isn't yet with RTX or the """next gen""" console implementations), I fear this SSR crapola will be (ab)used still.

Rockstar had a very interesting reflection implementation in GTA5, where they rendered per-frame cubemap reflection, which looked much better than SSR obviously. They had a cost saving limitation in GTA5 where only the world was rendered, without dynamic objects such as vehicles and people. Of course, with the """""next gen""""" engine included in RDR2, it was converted to ******** SSR, warts and all. 😤😤😤

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

With racing games, it is possible to fake reflections with more costly techniques at relative low cost. But in general, reflections are a hard problem. Until ray tracing becomes prevalent (it obviously isn't yet with RTX or the """next gen""" console implementations), I fear this SSR crapola will be (ab)used still.

Rockstar had a very interesting reflection implementation in GTA5, where they rendered per-frame cubemap reflection, which looked much better than SSR obviously. They had a cost saving limitation in GTA5 where only the world was rendered, without dynamic objects such as vehicles and people. Of course, with the """""next gen""""" engine included in RDR2, it was converted to ******** SSR, warts and all. 😤😤😤

Agree, although I always found jarring the cars don't have reflection in GTA. You see those "Real Life GTA" videos with 4K maxed out settings, tons of modding, Reshade with RTGI...    and the cars seem to be on a different dimension without any reflection on the wet roads.
RDR2...   yeah, SSR there is pretty noticeable in all the usual problems with borders of the screen, occlussions, etc.

Interestingly enough, been replaying Uncharted 4 lately and don't know exactly what reflection they used, but there are no problems with the screen edge reflections in the water like RDR2 and others.

Edited by jesped

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, jesped said:

Agree, although I always found jarring the cars don't have reflection in GTA. You see those "Real Life GTA" videos with 4K maxed out settings, tons of modding, Reshade with RTGI...    and the cars seem to be on a different dimension without any reflection on the wet roads.
RDR2...   yeah, SSR there is pretty noticeable in all the usual problems with borders of the screen, occlussions, etc.

My point was that instead of continuing with that reflection algorithm and enhancing it for """next gen""", they just chose SSR for RDR2. 🤦‍♂️ GTA5 was released in 2013, and for its time, the reflection implementation was amazing (PS3/360). It's sad that we are regressing in technique just because these companies have bitten much more than they can chew with """""4K""""" on five year old hardware.

Edited by Leo Natan
  • Agree 2

Maybe this game doesn't have top visuals, but the picture is solid and consistent. Trees don't pop up in your face. While in GRID2019 they took very stupid decision to make top visuals around the car and absolutely disgusting backgrounds. Looks weird

7 hours ago, lastbreath said:

Maybe this game doesn't have top visuals, but the picture is solid and consistent. Trees don't pop up in your face. While in GRID2019 they took very stupid decision to make top visuals around the car and absolutely disgusting backgrounds. Looks weird

It begs the question. 

Was the person colour blind and I mean that in the nicest way possible   

It seems the sales and advertising team can make any claim to this game is brilliant. 

Yet when we buy the  released version. It looks nothing like the advertised version. 

You can make just the same amount of money by being sincere and honest. 

.how anyone can really say that grid 2019 is a great visual experience .is only kidding themselves. 

Grid 2019 is possibly the worst looking game ive seen for a very long time. 

So we go back to the  original thing I said. 

Was the person colour blind 😍😎🤩

@lastbreath I will tell you what you found: the game still looks terrible, but now cars are driving on mirrors, so you can see the terribleness twice.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Forget about Grid 19 , Project cars 3  will be out street racer dudes!

Edited by Miatakias_GR