[GRID 2019] Graphics Discussion - Why exactly it looks #LikeNoOther

Posted (edited)

Some comparisions are just pure ***...
image.thumb.png.09d9570a2436432383d17fc2657c36fe.pngimage.png.136b58df8abc9befd3bd07ecc46b0bca.png

Edited by jesped

GRID 2019 ToD/Weather Options

9 in total to choose from so 8 more than only boring default day ^^ in every other GRID game... Thats an improvement right here lady´s and gentleman... 😄

Galleryhttps://abload.de/gallery.php?key=kRCkouX3

Rain, night look very great with those thousands of lights around the track...

Also that one i like very much:

zwielichtalk4c.png

Edited by Ak1504
  • Agree 1

I don't see the issues? Honestly, it's a fine looking game.

• Disagree 2

I was just thinking.... You don't really seem to be playing the game very much so for the £65 you could probably have bought a digital camera and gone outside to take pics of real trees and real streets with real lighting 😋. Because most points seem to have been pretty much covered I think the graphics thing has probably run it's course so c'mon man, get playing 'properly' and tell us about the gameplay/longevity side of things. I want to know if it's still worth playing after 10-15 hours or if it's as grindy/boring as people are starting to say.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

Driving model is not very good (all cars feel the same—it was intentional as developers said in IGN interview), game lacks content so longevity is low for now. "Career" is just a table of races, so it's not something that will make you want to go back much longer. Cars are all locked, need to buy them all, unlike, say Forza, where you have quite the variety to not get bored so fast.

And it has bad graphics.

I don't see how asking for good graphics in 2019 is considered "controversial". You have eyes, no? You don't see the visual bugs and issues? Issues that do not appear in other Codemasters games, let alone other games of the genre.

Edited by Leo Natan
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, jesped said:

Grid seems to hold up well considering its like on a tenth of the budget if not less.

• Disagree 3

57 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

Driving model is terrible, game lacks content so longevity is low. "Career" is just a table of races, so it's not something that will make you want to go back much longer. Cars are all locked, need to buy them all, unlike, say Forza, where you have quite the variety to not get bored so fast.

And it has terrible graphics.

I don't see how asking for good graphics in 2019 is considered "controversial". You have eyes, no? You don't see the visual bugs and issues? Issues that do not appear in other Codemasters games, let alone other games of the genre.

I'm not saying it's controversial at all - after all, I have been actively contributing my concerns over lighting on consoles since what feels like the dawn of time. All I was saying is that all valid (yes, they are valid) points have now been covered and things starting to go round in circles so to save the inevitable bickering from nay sayers and more importantly for the sake of this thread not getting deleted (again) it might be better to wait until further developments occur before continuing the conversation. After all, there's plenty more to discuss and this is far too an important thread to lose.

The rest was just humour/sarcasm - something which i'm sure they've invented in your part of the world

To further add, i've also been arguing HDR lighting in Dirt Rally 2 - a point that seems to fall on deaf ears because it appears to be the case that, in the eyes of Codemasters, consoles are way too unimportant for any level of consideration - so I am fully aware of visual deficiencies (not bugs) in other Codemasters games as well....... Treasure Island Dizzy also suffered from colour clash so we can go even further back if you like 😳

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ak1504 said:

only boring default day ^^ in every other GRID game...

Stop, stop, stop! There were night races in GRID2 and Autosport!

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, FLAW3D said:

Grid seems to hold up well considering its like on a tenth of the budget if not less

Now make such comparison with GRID2 or Autosport

1 minute ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

Not many....

In GRID2 every p2p and city track had night time. Yas Marina had night 100%.

• Agree 1

Maybe so.... But night circuits in Autosport are restricted to specific classes and from what i've seen (or looked for) it doesn't have one single street (city) track at night. So where Autosport is concerned it is indeed "not many".... and with this very flimsy evidence for my defence I rest my case m'lud 🙂 

13 minutes ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

But night circuits in Autosport are restricted to specific classes

Can't argue with that. 

Also, as far as I remember, P2P tracks and city tracks were added as DLC, thats why they had cut possibilities

-------

Famous Sepang corner in Autosport:

20191010132451_1.thumb.jpg.4ac639c1a8a2c42c760771b902b7cf5a.jpg

20191010132456_1.thumb.jpg.b85846ca1210318219559d89386d3820.jpg

Should I remind how it looks in new GRID? ))

Edited by lastbreath

1 minute ago, lastbreath said:

Can't argue with that. 

Also, as far as I remember, P2P tracks and city tracks were added as DLC, thats why they had cut possibilities

Ah, I didn't know that and thanks for bringing it up. I'm interested to know if the DLC was made available on XB1 when it became backwards compatible because if the circuits were integrated into career mode it would be a worthwhile purchase. Not only that, I would also get to compare visual difference between new and old on consoles... 

oops, wrong topic

Edited by 053
wrong topic

20 minutes ago, 053 said:

oops, wrong topic

don't worry, “The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.”

:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Either the cars bottoms are made from vantablack material therefore absorbing 99% of light or they’re not modelled.CA733739-B391-4063-BB2D-8022525F88DD.thumb.png.039b16eb445986ffb73a4e833d32c190.png

65D83CB8-C9DF-44B6-89A5-5EF4ECC691E5.png

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

Grid seems to hold up well considering its like on a tenth of the budget if not less.

How does the budget make any difference to you as a consumer? 🙄 The price of the game is 60/100 USD, which is the same as GT Sport, which is all that matters to me as a consumer.

• Agree 3

45 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

How does the budget make any difference to you as a consumer? 🙄 The price of the game is 60/100 USD, which is the same as GT Sport, which is all that matters to me as a consumer.

Better budget gives you better artists, Gives you more time to complete the project etc. If Codemasters could throw 80-100 million at Grid i'd put my house on it surpassing GT Sport on just about every level. 

If you cannot look at the bigger picture what is the point in all these comparisons. Pointless unless you understand how games are created. Not everything can be equal. 

Watching the vid again in proper gameplay view (cockpit cam) Grid looks better and sounds better. Impressive. I had only seen that awful chase cam view before. 

Edited by FLAW3D

4 minutes ago, FLAW3D said:

Better budget gives you better artists, Gives you more time to complete the project etc. If Codemasters could throw 80-100 million at Grid i'd put my house on it surpassing GT Sport on just about every level. 

If you cannot look at the bigger picture what is the point in all these comparisons. Pointless unless you understand how games are created. Not everything can be equal. 

How about comparing graphics to Codemasters' own projects, such as Dirt 2.0 and F1 2019, which both look far superior to this, run better on consoles, and have much better driving mechanics? Those games didn't have "80-100 million" budgets either.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Leo Natan said:

How about comparing graphics to Codemasters' own projects, such as Dirt 2.0 and F1 2019, which both look far superior to this, run better on consoles, and have much better driving mechanics? Those games didn't have "80-100 million" budgets either.

I'd say it looks better than Dirt 2.0, Maybe you need to upgrade your TV 😉 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

3 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

Project Cars 2 was also put together on a restricted budget with a small development team using an old but modified game engine (the Madness engine was used for NFS Shift on X360). Countless circuits + cars, dynamic weather, top drawer graphics with subtle lighting, CPL's, and options for visual configuration (which makes a world of difference) on consoles is what they delivered so, you know, anything is possible if you give it your best shot. 

Sorry, I don't really think that you have a solid ground for argument with that one...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, FLAW3D said:

I'd say it looks better than Dirt 2.0, Maybe you need to upgrade your TV 😉 

Or you should not make stupid assumptions?

I am playing both on my PC, with a high end monitor. This thread has a link to a Twitter thread with plethora of visual glitches. There are comparisons to Codemasters own 6+ years old games, which look better in many places.

I'll make an assumption of my own: you have Vaseline smeared on your eyes or are legally blind.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

Project Cars 2 was also put together on a restricted budget with a small development team using an old but modified game engine (the Madness engine was used for NFS Shift on X360). Countless circuits + cars, dynamic weather, top drawer graphics with subtle lighting, CPL's, and options for visual configuration (which makes a world of difference) on consoles is what they delivered so, you know, anything is possible if you give it your best shot. 

Sorry, I don't really think that you have a solid ground for argument with that one...

Don't forget Driveclub, which also came from a small team and didn't have sky-high budget.

Really, the only racing games with huge budgets are the Forza series and GT/Sport.

• Agree 2