[GRID 2019] Graphics Discussion - Why exactly it looks #LikeNoOther

1 hour ago, cpcdem said:

I am just missing the incredible amount of features PCARS2 has.

Shadows don't flicker in GRID, that's a good thing for sure. But the far limit is just pathetic, you can see them being drawed in front of your car, as you can check in my previous post:

GRID also has noticeable problems with its TAA implementation, as been clearly showed just comparing it to GRID Autosport (right, same resolution). Look at those cables:
image.pngimage.png

Not to mention Project Cars 2 is a 2 years old game already.

Edited by jesped

Jes you have severe issues 🤣 Could a mod not put this poor boy out of his misery? 🤢

Edited by FLAW3D

52 minutes ago, jesped said:

Shadows don't flicker in GRID, that's a good thing for sure. But the far limit is just pathetic, you can see them being drawed in front of your car, as you can check in my previous post:

GRID also has noticeable problems with its TAA implementation, as been clearly showed just comparing it to GRID Autosport (right, same resolution). Look at those cables:
image.pngimage.png

Not to mention Project Cars 2 is a 2 years old game already.

You seem to really really reeeeeaaally hate Grid.  Never have I seen anyone this hung up on graphics.  And have you seen the game on your own tv yet?  

31 minutes ago, FLAW3D said:

Jes you have severe issues 🤣 Could a mod not put this poor boy out of his misery? 🤢

Yeah, sure. Go call for a mod like @ChrisGrovesMCM now after your puerile name-calling and pathetically empty personal mockery...  🤦‍♂️

What's your purpose participating in this GRAPHICS DISCUSSION thread? insult people that are on-topic while you show your lack of basic knowledge about graphics technologies and minimum manners talking to others? 🤷‍♂️

Go back to your cave if that's all you have to "contribute" to this topic.

Edited by jesped
  • Disagree 1

Jesped, the issue most of us have with you is you are talking in circles, repeating the same thing over and over and over.  I mean a thread exactly like this one was locked for a reason.  It’s getting no where.

42 minutes ago, BRICKS44 said:

You seem to really really reeeeeaaally hate Grid.  Never have I seen anyone this hung up on graphics.  And have you seen the game on your own tv yet?  

You mistake "hate" with "disappointment". I'm a CG 3D artist myself, so...   yes, sure I am interested in graphics. But it is not like a personal mania of mine:

https://www.cinemablend.com/games/75-Gamers-Say-Graphics-Do-Matter-Purchasing-Game-64659.html
image.png
https://kotaku.com/yes-technical-details-are-important-in-video-games-1507704558
image.png

And yes, I am playing the game on a 100" screen.

Edited by jesped

17 minutes ago, BRICKS44 said:

Jesped, the issue most of us have with you is you are talking in circles, repeating the same thing over and over and over.  I mean a thread exactly like this one was locked for a reason.  It’s getting no where.

You don't talk for "most of us", you talk for yourself.

The previous thread was locked because some people started name-calling and attacking the people that were reporting the problems with the game, and thus filling the thread with unnecesary and unrelated garbage. Some fanboys just can't stand others proving their much loved games have severe faults. The favorite excuse in the old thread was "but it is just a prerelease build!" "it will be fixed in release!!"  well, it is released already...   and all the same problems are still there. Suddenly, it's like those people never said that...  😂

You don't care about all these issues?...     FINE, nobody is forcing you to enter this thread. Direct insults, strawman fallacies, name-calling and personal mockery are just the tools of the losers in the discussion. 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by jesped

3 hours ago, jesped said:

The old thread was closed for the weird reason of being "clogged", go figure...   the main problem of that thread was all the people that were constantly disregarding its own existence with the "it's just a prerelease build"  "all will be fixed at release"...     well, the game IS released now...  and mainly EVERYTHING reported in that thread is valid still. All the bugs and problems are still in the game at this moment.

Will they be fixed? we don't know about that, because devs are too cautious to commit in public.

If there is a patch tomorrow, we don't know what is addressed in it (if anything) regarding these problems with visuals.

The old thread was not clogged… just the most viewed and followed…

and i suppose that if was named ''why grid2019 looks so stunning'',  instead to close it, they would have already pinned on the top page :classic_biggrin:

and i don't think any patch will going to fix graphics, trees etc... they will fix hopefully loading errors and something directly related to controls and adjustments (and major bugs)…  

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, jesped said:

You mistake "hate" with "disappointment". I'm a CG 3D artist myself, so...   yes, I'm sure interested in graphics. But it is not like a personal mania of mine:

https://www.cinemablend.com/games/75-Gamers-Say-Graphics-Do-Matter-Purchasing-Game-64659.html
image.png
https://kotaku.com/yes-technical-details-are-important-in-video-games-1507704558
image.png

And yes, I am playing the game on a 100" screen.

100" screen....theres part of your problem right there. What resolution you running the game at on that size of screen?

Edited by FLAW3D

1 minute ago, FLAW3D said:

100" screen....theres part of your problem right there. 

I play ALL games on the same screen so...  no.

And most of these problems were already reported before release, just watching YT videos on a 55" TV, which is a pretty standard size.

13 minutes ago, FlashStealth said:

The old thread was not clogged… just the most viewed and followed…

and i suppose that if was named ''why grid2019 looks so stunning'',  instead to close it, they would have already pinned on the top page :classic_biggrin:

Well, that too...   😄

13 minutes ago, FlashStealth said:

and i don't think any patch will going to fix graphics, trees etc... they will fix hopefully loading errors and something directly related to controls and adjustments (and major bugs)…  

I don't either. But in all honesty, I would love for Codemasters to prove me wrong and to release a patch fixing at least the most annoying of these issues: LOD with trees and shadows, tonemapping, ...  at least make those settings configurable in the .xml config file, so they don't have to take "official responsibility" for messing with them and the performance.

As far as I understand, the game was released for everyone, yes?

So, was there first day patch?

29 minutes ago, jesped said:

Well, that too...   😄

I don't either. But in all honesty, I would love for Codemasters to prove me wrong and to release a patch fixing at least the most annoying of these issues: LOD with trees and shadows, tonemapping, ...  at least make those settings configurable in the .xml config file, so they don't have to take "official responsibility" for messing with them and the performance.

i would love too if they will make a mega patch with everything inside… 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

As far as I understand, the game was released for everyone, yes?

So, was there first day patch?

People are playing "early access". Official launch date is 11th, tomorrow. So maybe the patch drops tomorrow.

3 hours ago, jesped said:

Driveclub is a game from 2014 that didn't have a patch for the Pro. GRID 2019 is a game that looks a generation inferior to Driveclub. This is a thread for GRAPHICS DISCUSSION, go to another thread if you are not interested in DISCUSSING GRAPHICS... 🤷‍♂️

You mean the "clowns" that were pointing out the shame of having these fake nonsensical reflections in 2019?

When mostly all games in the past 5-10 years have been featuring proper reflections. FFS, we even had cars properly reflected on the wet asphalt in F1 2001 PS2Two generations ago 😂

Or these proper realistic reflections in F1 2019, from the same Codemasters, using the exact same EGO engine v4...  🤦‍♂️

But maybe proper reflections are a thing of the past that is not important at all, and that's why Raytracing is the new boom and gaming enthusiasts are spending $1000+ on top tier GPU's to have RT GI and Raytraced Reflections everywhere. 😂

You seem like someone who knows a little about what they're talking about. Obviously then, you know that almost all games use a combination of cube maps and SSR. Barely any race games rely entirely on SSR. Grid uses a cubemap/SSR combination. Yes, those cube maps could better designed to fit into the world but that's an artistic issue and not a graphical limitation.

11 minutes ago, andmcq said:

that's an artistic issue

If so - this is very poor artistic issue

17 minutes ago, jesped said:

People are playing "early access". Official launch date is 11th, tomorrow

So why there are first reviews in Steam?

2 hours ago, jesped said:

I play ALL games on the same screen so...  no.

And most of these problems were already reported before release, just watching YT videos on a 55" TV, which is a pretty standard size.

Not all games have great AA so so you must play alot of games this gen that look **** on a 100" unless you have a GTX 2080 ? What resolution are you playing the game at? Also if you think the AA is rubbish at 55" your making it look twice as bad by playing GRID on that screen. 

Edited by FLAW3D

6 hours ago, andmcq said:

You seem like someone who knows a little about what they're talking about. Obviously then, you know that almost all games use a combination of cube maps and SSR. Barely any race games rely entirely on SSR. Grid uses a cubemap/SSR combination. Yes, those cube maps could better designed to fit into the world but that's an artistic issue and not a graphical limitation.

SSR stands for Screen Space Reflections. It is limited by what is on the screen. If it is out of the screen it can't be reflected. It is not perfect but it usually works well. And it isn't the only method of doing proper reflections.

GRID wet asphalt does not reflect what is on the screen...   neither cars nor the tracks, scenery, buildings, trees, crowds...   nothing. There is only an anisotropic reflection of the cars lights, and then some weird fantasy environment maps that don't match the track they are in. At all. 

It is not a limitation of the EGO engine. The F1 team has been using proper reflections since 10 years ago or so, and I don't think their games have a much higher hardware requirements.

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, lastbreath said:

So why there are first reviews in Steam?

People with the Ultimate Edition that are playing it with the "early access" that came with it.

50 minutes ago, FLAW3D said:

Not all games have great AA so so you must play alot of games this gen that look **** on a 100" unless you have a GTX 2080 ? What resolution are you playing the game at? Also if you think the AA is rubbish at 55" your making it look twice as bad by playing GRID on that screen. 

I use a OC'd 1080 non ti, nothing too fancy, and usually play at supersampled 2k.

Sure, not all games have great AA. For example, it is one of the greatest flaws of Forza Horizon 4, using still only the old MSAA. Or in WRC8, which is pretty bad.

But the thing with GRID 2019 is that it is much worse than the previous generation and 5 years older GRID Autosport, which is baffling. I don't know of any other case with a game in a franchise doing that.

It is not a question of using lesser quality displays to avoid noticing the problems, but a question of Codemasters fixing them. For everybody. For example, I don't care that much for the multiplayer part, but if there is people complaining about problems there, I don't go shouting "fudge that! who cares?", I assume that's important to them and must be fixed too, even if it doesn't make any difference for me.

Edited by jesped

Sky, trees and tonemapping are better on a PS2 game.

• Haha 1

Ahahahaha, this is hilarious! 😂😂 This is such a failure.

And it's coming from the IGN channel! They must have not gotten the cheque on time. 😂

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

Ahahahaha, this is hilarious! 😂😂 This is such a failure.

And it's coming from the IGN channel! They must have not gotten the cheque on time. 😂

Comments on the video are a really fun read. 🤣

• Haha 1

Looks like this thread is degenerating into arguments and unhelpful comments like the old one was, so I'll just drop this here: 

- If you'd like to actually help with this subject there is something specific you would like us to investigate and try to address, the Technical Assistance area has all the guidelines you need to do so

- For every video posted of graphics/visuals not performing at their optimum, there'll be another video where it does. So much depends on the settings and hardware each player chooses to run. 

- Every piece of constructive feedback on the Forums is taken on board and considered for assessment by the team; we've already locked in some improvements/fixes thanks to the process we have in place

Thanks 🙂