F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

[GRID 2019] Graphics Discussion - Why exactly it looks #LikeNoOther

11 minutes ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

- For every video posted of graphics/visuals not performing at their optimum, there'll be another video where it does. So much depends on the settings and hardware each player chooses to run.

Hello,

This comes off as somewhat tone deaf. It's not about picking one video where the game looks good, vs picking one video where the game does not look good. The point of threads like this is to increase the overall graphics bar, to at least the levels of Codemasters' own games, Dirt 2.0 and F1. As with any game using common real time rendering algorithms, there are artifacts and blemishes. The point is to reduce those as much as possible.

BTW, in the video you posted, most of the issues that have been reported are also apparent (but hidden a bit better due to darker scenes in cloudy weather:

• Shadows are low resolution until 1-2 meters from the car
  • Some shadows are not rendered until 1-2 meters from the car
  • Trees and general track details are lacking beyond 1-2 meters
  • No tonemapping when the car enters the tunnel

Those are issues inherent to the implementation and usage of the engine that Grid 2019 uses, and no video, no matter how carefully picked and flattering, will hide.

Thanks

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Looks like this thread is degenerating into arguments and unhelpful comments like the old one was

Good, but instead of locking the thread, the fair thing to do would be to warn the people that are using name-calling and personal attacks, instead of using their behavior as an excuse to give them the satisfaction of closing the thread, which looks exactly what they are aiming for in the first place.

- For every video posted of graphics/visuals not performing at their optimum, there'll be another video where it does. So much depends on the settings and hardware each player chooses to run. 

It's not a question of optimum performance by the user's side, it's a question of bugs and problems with the game. The video you post from Shirrako is only good hiding them better in all that mist and rain, but all the same problems reported here are there too. And this video has noticeable stutter/framedrops in many places too.
I'm not going to post another wall of captures, plenty of my previous captures are already from Shirrako's 4K videos.

And all versions should be considered, not just PC Ultra. Not everybody can throw $1000+ to play on PC at 4K60, and there's plenty of people with base PS4 and XB1 S still.
These are not "choices" from the customers, but the consoles on the market. That's why it makes sense to compare those versions with the competition on the same hardware, like we did with Driveclub and GT Sport in this thread.

- Every piece of constructive feedback on the Forums is taken on board and considered for assessment by the team; we've already locked in some improvements/fixes thanks to the process we have in place

Thanks 🙂

Thank you, that's great to hear. I sincerely hope you can fix and improve the game at least in the most noticeable problems. Some things doesn't require a great amount of work, just the decision of doing them.

Edited by jesped

14 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

Those are issues inherent to the implementation and usage of the engine that Grid 2019 uses, and no video, no matter how carefully picked and flattering, will hide.

As I'm sure you understand, addressing topics like graphics is rarely a 'flick a switch and it's fixed' deal. Nevertheless, rest assured it's being tracked to see if and how improvements can be made down the line. 👍

• Agree 3

Just now, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

As I'm sure you understand, addressing topics like graphics is rarely a 'flick a switch and it's fixed' deal. Nevertheless, rest assured it's being tracked to see if and how improvements can be made down the line. 👍

Thank you 👍
I am a software developer, I fully understand that at this point, it is harder to make changes. My criticism is for the development process and why the issues are there in the first place. The engine is better capable. This fascinates me, but alas, I understand why there will never be transparency on this topic from the development team.

42 minutes ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

rest assured it's being tracked to see if and how improvements can be made down the line👍

11 minutes ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

What's up? 

Just clarifying things up:

If: conditional. So maybe not.
Can be: So maybe cannot be.
Down the line: So no for now.

I understand not stating a list of commitments or timeframes, but honestly, it doesn't sound hopeful.

Sounds more like a good explanation of why not a single specific has been addressed yet.

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, jesped said:

Sounds more like a good explanation of why not a single specific has been addressed yet.

I refer you back to my to my original comment: "As I'm sure you understand, addressing topics like graphics is rarely a 'flick a switch and it's fixed' deal." 

10 minutes ago, jesped said:

why not a single specific has been addressed yet.

We've made steps to address player-reported topics already, which isn't bad going considering the game fully launched... today! 🙂 but we know there's plenty more to do, and I'm putting together updated reports all the time from feedback on all channels. 👍

4 minutes ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

We've made steps to address player-reported topics already, which isn't bad going considering the game fully launched... today! 🙂 but we know there's plenty more to do, and I'm putting together updated reports all the time from feedback on all channels. 👍

Could you comment on which topics the team is focusing?

• Agree 1

The headlights on all cars look really bad. The rest of the car has high quality, but then the headlights are just a low-res texture. Is there some setting that I missed, that would either make the texture high-res, or even turn the lights into detailed 3D models?

Here are two examples of what I mean: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1885848115
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1886263241

5 hours ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

I refer you back to my to my original comment: "As I'm sure you understand, addressing topics like graphics is rarely a 'flick a switch and it's fixed' deal." 

The original graphics discussion thread was started August 29. The only addressed specifics were the video in the original post having a bad color tone due to wrong hdr use and that rain conditions really affected cars' behavior. Beyond that, all the rest are still present and have not even been acknowledged as problems.

Sometimes, fixing things doesn't require a huge effort: like switching some bad tree models with better quality previous ones:
image.png

or "flick a switch" like changing  <texture_streaming sizeInMiB="2048" to "8192" in hardware_settings_config.xml, which seems to have fixed the annoying "HQ textures visibly loading in place" bug for me:
image.thumb.png.dd58def773b6a4d9ed56eae9b484fa86.png

Some important problems doesn't require a lot of work, like properly setting Eye Adaptation/Automatic Exposure/Tonemapping to fix those dark areas and burnt skies.
Or even adding much needed features like seat position adjustments and camera shaking effects (just copying what already was in GRID 2 and GRID Autosport would be enough).

Edited by jesped

The most offending for me is the 1-2m aggressive LOD for geometry, textures and shadows. All the others I can live with (not a fan of SSR, to be honest), but those ones are just killing me. The rolling shadows in particular are an embarrassment for a modern engine. And why isn't there an option on PC to extend that further? 🤦‍♂️

• Agree 1

Holy s... In old GRID ALL MOUNTAIN IS COVERED WITH TREES!!! With realistically looking trees!

While new trees are a killing joke :classic_biggrin:

Edited by lastbreath

2 hours ago, jesped said:

I don’t know enough about it all to know if Grid 2008 was fantastic for its time, or if Grid 2019 is sub par. 

Probably a bit of both I guess. 

14 minutes ago, Ferrethead81 said:

I don’t know enough about it all to know if Grid 2008 was fantastic for its time, or if Grid 2019 is sub par. 

Probably a bit of both I guess. 

Grid was stunning looking for its time. The new one has double the amount of cars which will have a big effect. 

Maybe Codies can half the cars to 8 for those that want better graphics quickly as long as its an option. 

Edited by FLAW3D

I should do comparisons really but definitely (Think) I noticed a big difference after modifying some of the settings in the XML. However on my system it does use 8.2 GB VRAM now.

Still get 90+ fps (1080ti)

SMAA - true (Left taa still true)

SSRT_Shadows enabled - True

texture_streaming size - 4096

Motion blur - false

DoF - false

We really need a high resolution texture pack!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, FLAW3D said:

Maybe Codies can half the cars to 8 for those that want better graphics quickly as long as its an option

Maybe someone looks outside - it's 2019 there

40 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

That seventh generation console brown smear, though. Yuck. No thanks.

Agree, but it was removable by mods, so...  we can see beyond that. 

7 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

Grid was stunning looking for its time. The new one has double the amount of cars which will have a big effect. 

Maybe Codies can half the cars to 8 for those that want better graphics quickly as long as its an option. 

That actually sounds promising. Just cut down the amount of cars if the engine can't handle it. Make it an option, to run 16 cars with the graphics as they are, or vs 8 other cars to make it look CONSIDERABLY better, with better framerates AND resolution on base consoles. I can't believe that the game barely runs over 720p in some stances! One thing is to have an aging hardware, other is not optimizing games to run decent at best!

Same as usual: GRID 2019 has an oversaturated and cartoonish look.

And the quality difference in trees is abysmal:

image.thumb.png.7683ded9e8a5db8e9e3bfb9086ac6374.pngimage.thumb.png.56777432550d7dff350ef7c2dd8eb0c3.png

GRID Autosport's camera Shake and camera rolling on curves makes the gameplay feel more exciting, intense and realistic, simulating driver's movement inside the car:
image.png.67946087e3c00c2d04c1b1b682abfed8.pngimage.png.682cdeb9ce3170d574c43ae158881f5c.png

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 1

You keep posting horrible heavily compressed Youtube footage. Any chance of some proper direct feed screens and videos instead as your making both games look much worse than they actually are. 

Edited by FLAW3D
  • Agree 1

Nice detail - crowd wears raincoats and umbrellas during rainy weather

800699053_.png.c5a1716f6c6863c023ad7ed8243cd467.png

Looks like crowd - the most developed part of the game ))

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 1