F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

[GRID 2019] Graphics Discussion - Why exactly it looks #LikeNoOther

On top of that, GT Sport even has VR (GRID doesn't), which even with the limitations of the low level cheap PSVR looks this amazing:

I think you've made your point clear @jesped.

Also, if you're going to post a lot of images, please host them on Imgur and drop a link, as dropping too many on the forum can cause longer loading times (particularly for mobile users).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, jesped said:

"Those are good shots, but you can cherry pick good shots even from the worst looking games like rFactor. Specially from Replays (vast majority of yours), with all the DoF, amped Motion Blur and selective angles."

You can also cherry pick bad points on 'any' game by zooming in  😉 🤩

9 minutes ago, torque99uk said:

You can also cherry pick bad points on 'any' game by zooming in  😉 🤩

Again...   your images were downsampled (from 4K) by the forum. Mine were non-scaled crops from your original sources...

Again...   This is exactly what you see during real gameplay, compared to 5 years old GRID Autosport. 4K uncompressed captures on both.
Exact same spots. No zooms, no Replays:

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, FLAW3D said:

If you dont like Codies games

I LOVE THEM that's why I can't watch what they are doing with great series. Players need in-game chat - they invite Alonso, players demand good damage - they license Ferrari, who is afraid of damage like fire, people expect next level of visuals - they make DX12 but with outdated graphics, people ask about story based career - they don't even bother about it... CMs demonstrate absolutely misunderstanding what players need. 

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 3

Turning off TAA has helped mine look much better on screen though on the move. I understand others will not have this quality I have but I just wanted to show how the game looks just between different versions or even between photos.

I know there are some meshes showing, with some different LOD and tree detail but on the move you do not notice them much. Hopefully these can be worked on.

What is not mentioned much is how good the cars are especially the detailed interiors and how good it looks at night and rain on the move. 

Edited by torque99uk
  • Agree 3

Yes, cars, crowd and night races without rain - these are strong sides of the game without a doubt. But I think you won't deny that the game is thrown at the market incomplete.

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 3

9 minutes ago, torque99uk said:

What is not mentioned much is how good the cars are especially the detailed interiors are and how good it looks at night and rain on the move. 

Agree, cars mostly look good. I already said so in the old graphics thread. Rain looks mostly good too. Not "Driveclub level" good, but good enough.
But cars look good on all games nowadays, they don't look better in GRID than in any of the competition.

And regarding night...

GT Sport even cast shadows from other cars...  on a $300 PS4 at 60fps:

image.png.553f79dd903264ed0ddae5ea38560b31.png

Edited by jesped
  • Like 1

Out of interest you guys 

@jesped Did you play on your set up and play through most the tracks/TOD or did you view it on another screen? As I see you mentioned that you saw it on Ultra? 👍

@lastbreath Have you played this yet? What PC detail do you play at? 😎

25 minutes ago, torque99uk said:

@jesped Did you play on your set up and play through most the tracks/TOD or did you view it on another screen? As I see you mentioned that you saw it on Ultra? 👍

Its not the point about seeing it on ultra. The point is that the game looks hella rubbish (and runs only at 30fps, the mirror at like 5fps) on base consoles (see my own direct capture screenshots, that jesped also reposted), while the hardware is more then good enough to have way better visuals with better performance (60 fps), even in own Codemasters games like F1 2019. Its so bad that it actually detracts from the experience, on the city courses its even hard to see a turn coming up due to the blurryness.

Edited by iekue
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, iekue said:

Its not the point about seeing it on ultra. The point is that the game looks hella rubbish (and runs only at 30fps) on base consoles (see my own direct capture screenshots, that jesped also reposted), while the hardware is good enough to have way better visuals with better performance (60 fps), even in own Codemasters games like F1 2019.

Hey?..In a discussion you have to discuss both sides (good and bad). I was asking @jesped which version he saw when it first came out as he mentioned he saw it on ultra. 👍

32 minutes ago, torque99uk said:

Yes. The captures I made comparing with GRID Autosport are from my system. I have a GTX 1080, and it can't maintain stable 60fps at 4K in GRID. Of course it does in GAS, even with MSAA 4X.

There you go...  how many people have a 1080ti, a 2080 or a 2070s to be able to play at stable 4K60?  like 1% of the total?  just those GPUs are double or even triple the price of a $370 PS4 Pro. Not even taking in count the rest of the good PC to go along with such a high end GPU: CPU, Memory, etc.

Edited by jesped

I understand that and I know most have PC specs around those (I was lucky to find a good deal on a pre-built PC with this GPU in). I had the GTX before and also managed 4k at 60fps on GAS.  I also still have my xbox and PS4 (good value for these I agree). I just meant did you end up buying the game on release? 

Edited by torque99uk

7 minutes ago, torque99uk said:

I just meant did you end up buying the game?

No. A friend of mine let me test it with his account. I'm not gonna buy it until ( and if ) it reaches a decent state.

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 1

These two shots are from in game (not replay) and were in real time just stopping. My friend has the PS4 disc so I might ask to borrow it to see the difference, as you can see  I am pleased with the detail so far on my PC. I find on the move it all looks great, something that doesn't come across too well on some videos shown. 

@lastbreath I agree some tracks or time of day are not perfect and you did spot this well before release I know  😉 but for me after actually playing the game now for 17 hours 😁 (addicted to finishing the career matches) that the game play more than makes up for this.

GRID-2019-Screenshot-2019-10-13-08-58-41

GRID-2019-Screenshot-2019-10-13-08-59-15

p.s I wish there was a free cam and photo mode as I have seen so many opportunities for some awesome captures that I could have taken with shutter speed.

Just on a side note, the DOF option on Nvidia Ansel doesn't seem to be working on normal or Inverted. (No auto focus) I'm not sure if this is my end or the game.

Edited by torque99uk
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I just want to say that @jesped has done a really great job being thorough and precise when providing comparative, real life scenarios for us to see here.

Thank you for all your hard work, and I really hope that Codemasters employees will look through this thread and take the required action to ensure we don't have to make these kinds of comparisons to previous games in their own series, or the same engine again.

It's really quite staggering to launch Autosport again after playing G19 and seeing the sheer lack of quality not only in the graphics while in game, but in the menu and options as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

10 hours ago, torque99uk said:

Turning off TAA has helped mine look much better on screen though on the move. I understand others will not have this quality I have but I just wanted to show how the game looks just between different versions or even between photos.

I know there are some meshes showing, with some different LOD and tree detail but on the move you do not notice them much. Hopefully these can be worked on.

What is not mentioned much is how good the cars are especially the detailed interiors and how good it looks at night and rain on the move. 

Having watched the rest of the Gamersyde videos now the game looks great in motion which is the same conclusion as i came to yesterday. Its a good looking game in motion.

Tbh even your static shots look good.

Edited by FLAW3D
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Yes, as I stated days ago, TAA is the problem with soft Tree graphics.

ps: don't listen to Jesped. He has no idea what he's talking about.

• Disagree 1

6 hours ago, andmcq said:

Yes, as I stated days ago, TAA is the problem with soft Tree graphics.

No TAA:
image.png.e78cdc3cf8abb0f72a260e942c7a4662.png

6 hours ago, andmcq said:

ps: don't listen to Jesped. He has no idea what he's talking about.

😂

On 10/8/2019 at 10:24 PM, andmcq said:

And half refresh mirrors too, lmao.

On 10/13/2019 at 1:19 AM, andmcq said:

Chromatic Aberration? I believe it's actually called Chromatic Abortion.

image.png.b2c57ecd542b77df8d093b169d166cad.png

On 10/10/2019 at 10:33 PM, andmcq said:

You seem like someone who knows a little about what they're talking about. Obviously then, you know that almost all games use a combination of cube maps and SSR. Barely any race games rely entirely on SSR. Grid uses a cubemap/SSR combination. Yes, those cube maps could better designed to fit into the world but that's an artistic issue and not a graphical limitation.

On 10/11/2019 at 11:04 AM, andmcq said:

IMO, Grid 2 is easily the best Grid game. By miles.

On 10/13/2019 at 12:57 AM, andmcq said:

Yeah, this was going to be a day one buy for me, but as the reviews started coming out I'm happy I held off. Seems very rushed and with Codies track record with this stuff, I doubt it's going to see any significant updates.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The game can look good especially in the night and rain... I also like that the spectators change clothing and stuff 🙂

GRID 2019 | All Time of Day Weather Options @ San Francisco

Edited by Ak1504
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Ak1504 said:

The game can look good especially in the night and rain... I also like that the spectators change clothing and stuff 🙂

GRID 2019 | All Time of Day Weather Options @ San Francisco

Great video, but I see the usual offenders. Noticeable aliasing, specially on the bridge:
image.png.8ede98d327b4ef960f535a36c832f13f.png

It is constantly vibrating, Very distracting.

And the blurry muddy textures, which we already compared with their better GRID Autosport counterparts:
 image.png.b0466def86993a341de89f1d93c70740.png

I totally agree with the spectators. These are the best crowds in any racing game so far, except they don't cast any shadows:
image.png.627ece8274889c74a41dd78acccebf9a.png

But why? what kind of logic made the GRID team give more priority to crowds in high numbers and high polygon counts over the much more visible vegetation and other track elements, or the shadows being drawed in front of your car or the very visible LOD swap?

Who decided that CPU and GPU power was better spent in having crowds with this quality over having better shadows, overall LOD and trees? 🤦‍♂️
image.png.aa6862c0d576d416a7687a2da0fee925.png 

8 minutes ago, jesped said:

But why? what kind of logic made the GRID team give more priority to crowds in high numbers and high polygon counts over the much more visible vegetation and other track elements, or the shadows being drawed in front of your car or the very visible LOD swap?

Who decided that CPU and GPU power was better spent in having crowds with this quality over having better shadows, overall LOD and trees? 🤦‍♂️

Even if ridiculous amount of resources is spent on the crowd, who forgot PC gaming is about options, and thus, it should be possible to extend shadow and track LOD much further if the hardware allows it. 🙄🙄🤦‍♂️

• Agree 1

Pity they didn't disable the yellow bloom filter, but here it goes...

The camera shaking and movements makes you feel the weight of the car much more.

The windshield gets dirty. Another detail that is missing in GRID 2019.

image.png.6919fe58732ee89a6a62daa2c0410292.png

Edited by jesped