DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×
GRID Season 3 - Coming April 15th Read more... ×

Watered down damage.

Very disappointed to know that the new grid has vastly toned down damage. The physical crumpling of chassis and frame are basically non-existent. Watch this: https://youtu.be/6sc4P4LPS9Q from 4:20.  

So far I’ve noticed:

1. Wheels don’t detach anymore.

2. Way less crumpling.

3. Car resets every time you roll. Where are the visceral rolling crashes gone when you’d roll 10 times after hitting a patch of gravel?

4. Mechanical damage is also toned down. I’ve yet to see a single gameplay video where someone has mechanical damage. In previous versions it was inevitable to have a wonky car at the end of the race. 

The visual effects like breaking carbon fiber and holes in the car are very impressive but it’s missing the almighty crunches and visceral feeling crashes. Also the camera shaking is non-existent which also contributes to weak feeling crashes. 

Is it because of Ferrari? Because honestly it’s not worth binning the amazing damage for them. Atm grid autosport has way better damage on the switch and mobile versions. 

Edited by Bluestig
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bluestig said:

In previous versions it was inevitable to have a wonky car at the end of the race. 

Which was stupid. A car shouldn't always have mechanical issues after 10 laps or so.

11 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Which was stupid. A car shouldn't always have mechanical issues after 10 laps or so.

What I mean is after ping ponging off walls for 10 laps. All reviews I’ve seen have stated the damage downgrade. You can’t even have proper rolls anymore! Let’s hope there is a release patch but I’m not holding my horses. 

• Agree 2

Just now, Bluestig said:

What I mean is after ping ponging off walls for 10 laps. All reviews I’ve seen have stated the damage downgrade. You can’t even have proper rolls anymore! Let’s hope there is a release patch but I’m not holding my horses. 

Well shifting had the issue of just dying if you're not doing it perfecly for 40 minutes 😛

2 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Well shifting had the issue of just dying if you're not doing it perfecly for 40 minutes 😛

That’s what made Grid different. It was more of a racing experience than just driving perfect. Go and play Grid 1. The camera shook wildly and crashes felt visceral and race ending. They were the reason for the introduction of flashbacks. Now flashbacks are used for imperfect corners since you are never at risk of ending your race anymore and don’t save them up for the inevitable crunches. 

1 minute ago, Bluestig said:

That’s what made Grid different. It was more of a racing experience than just driving perfect. Go and play Grid 1. The camera shook wildly and crashes felt visceral and race ending. They were the reason for the introduction of flashbacks. Now flashbacks are used for imperfect corners since you are never at risk of ending your race anymore and don’t save them up for the inevitable crunches. 

i thought there was terminal damage in the game ?

3 minutes ago, Madmaz116 said:

doest the damage effect the car performance in anyway , ie do you get problems turning etc ?

I’ve honestly not seen it in action once. Although it is present , it is severely toned down and takes alot more to do. 

@Bluestig There is basically no Codemaster game in this world that wouldn't get beaten by a game that has some simple suspension damage. You could basically survive from any minor collision with anything. If you crash, you'd be out. Yet not even simulation damage in F1 games does this that well.

That's why I never considered GRID's damage that good. I included a video of a 2006 game just because it was already uploaded to the Codies forums ages ago. 🙂 DGreco was driving in this league back in the 2010 days.

Edited by UP100

2 minutes ago, Madmaz116 said:

i thought there was terminal damage in the game ?

It is still in. I’m talking more about the visual aspect of crashes. In previous versions the wheels flew off and the chassis buckled. Now it’s more like forza with an intact car just a bit dented 

Just now, Bluestig said:

It is still in. I’m talking more about the visual aspect of crashes. In previous versions the wheels flew off and the chassis buckled. Now it’s more like forza with an intact car just a bit dented 

hmmm . im sort of ok with that , as long as the car is effect in some way by constant damage ie struggles to turn left or whatever , otherwise what is the point of it ?

5 minutes ago, Madmaz116 said:

hmmm . im sort of ok with that , as long as the car is effect in some way by constant damage ie struggles to turn left or whatever , otherwise what is the point of it ?

You’re missing my point. The crashes have lost the sense of spectacle. No more rolling on gravel with parts flying all over. Or going the wrong way and crunching into oncoming traffic. Now you get reset or disqualified. I used to spend hours on crashing shenanigans. That’s all gone now. There sure won’t be as many crash compilation videos about this game. 

2 hours ago, Bluestig said:

Here’s another mention:

https://youtu.be/VJuC_Fy7v-o

at 4:07 mark

ah man what a let down , Think Im gunna pass on this till the price comes down , or they possibly patch the damage,  way to mess up a great franchise Codies! This game could have been epic (sigh)

Edited by Madmaz116
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Madmaz116 said:

ah man what a let down , Think Im gunna pass on this till the price comes down , or they possibly patch the damage,  way to mess up a great franchise Codies! This game could have been epic (sigh)

I think one of the big manufacturers like Ferrari or Porsche probably had a word with codies to tone down damage. Ever since Dirt 4, Codemasters damage model has been significantly toned down in deformation levels. I suspect it might be harder to license now. If one manufacturer throws a hissy fit over damage, they probably have to tone it down for everyone. What I don’t get is why not just leave those out instead of dragging the game’s damage engine down? If we had a hundred different brands like Gt or Forza then you might say it’s worth it but with just 60 cars, might as well choose those that allow damage. Now we have worst of both worlds, lack of cars and lack of damage. It is now a far cry from Grid 2008:

2B70670A-88C2-48A8-BE25-4763C6BBBB65.jpeg

I remember thinking what damage would be in 10 years. Although there are a few gems like Beamng or wreckfest, the quality of damage among AAA studios has gone down the gutter. I suspect them pesky manufacturers although I’m not so sure. 

Edited by Bluestig
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

wow awesome picture I had forgotten the damage model in Grid 1 , why didnt they just remaster Grid 1 , you have to wonder at some decsions made these days. EVERYONE loved the first grid , ok reboot it , no problem with that , but dont water it down . 

• Agree 4

6 minutes ago, Madmaz116 said:

wow awesome picture I had forgotten the damage model in Grid 1 , why didnt they just remaster Grid 1 , you have to wonder at some decsions made these days. EVERYONE loved the first grid , ok reboot it , no problem with that , but dont water it down . 

Agree. At first I was alright with it until I compared it to the original. Just watch this video:https://youtu.be/6sc4P4LPS9Q

When he compares the San Francisco bit, it’s so much better in the original except for graphics. The car bounces and the camera shakes and jitters, the cars feel like monsters and racing machines that are vulnerable to crashes. The newer version pales in comparison and doesn’t have that ‘wow’ factor. Severely disappointed. 

• Agree 1

Yeah, I bet Ferrari and Porsche do not like it when their cars get smashed like tin cans. I also think Toyota didn't like their cars being wrecked around like that so thats why they are only with Gran Turismo sport (The game that has no damage, yet will disqualify you in driving tests should you tap the bumper of the car)

Appeasing the Manufacturers requires you to tone down damage. That is sadly how they like it sometimes.

Edited by CordedQuill42
Typo Correction
  • Agree 1

Compare this:

https://youtu.be/ZxMPZQUF1jQ

To this:

https://youtu.be/J05PJZT-FBE

It’s honestly quite disheartening to see. Look how much the car can deform in Grid2 compared to the new one. Also look how much more spectacular the terminal crash is in the older one. Grid 1 was even better. I’d say codies tried atleast increasingly the visual fidelity of dents and chips but it’s almost as if the car has an invisible shield around it protecting it from deformation. In the older ones you can also lose way more parts. You can lose wheels, sidemirrors, wings, doors. In the new one only the bumper or bonnet/boot comes off. There’s been a substantial downgrade. 

Edited by Bluestig

OMG!!!  EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE should watch that video review , I want to cry ..  I so want to go back to the original grid now.

HERE WATCH IT! 

Edited by Madmaz116
  • Agree 3

Also I’ve yet to see a single rollover crash. As soon as the car starts to roll it gets reset. Is it even possible to roll your car in this game? Hell, even forza has rollover crashes despite having barely any damage. 

3 minutes ago, Madmaz116 said:

OMG!!!  EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE should watch that video review , I want to cry ..  I so want to go back to the original grid now.

You mean this one?https://youtu.be/6sc4P4LPS9Q

The bit after 3:00 hit me like a tonne of bricks. Damn was that game ahead of it’s time. Apparently even ahead of 2019....

Edited by Bluestig
  • Agree 1

i will say this Codies , Ive gone from being hyped to death over this game , looking for the ultimate Edition everywhere to buy , to maybe i'll get the base game when it comes down in price or if some of the issues (ie damage!) get sorted , which i know they wont.

Such a massive letdown

As that title of that review video says..  ALWAYS WAIT FOR THE REVIEW!

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Madmaz116 said:

HERE WATCH IT! 

Seems like a mediocre review. No, I dislike Race Driver: GRID and just because the reviewer likes it, it doesn't mean I'll agree.

Basically what he says for those who aren't interested in watching:

• Race Driver: GRID is better (no explanation except for the intro video and another sentence)
  • GRID: Autosport has one of the best damage models (no)
  • The 60fps thingy
  • The graphics are amazing
  • Unexciting career
  • Also complaining about the AI nemesis driving and the fact that he doesn't understand how he keeps turning into the AI despite there being metres of space on his right
  • Too little accidents

...maybe I'm just a bit too 'hardcore' to listen to this guy. This guy would probably give rF2 a single star or something due to AI being "too aggressive", no career mode, no huge accidents and bad graphics...

Also who is this 'PR company'? Codemasters PR team, Koch Media or another third party?

11 minutes ago, Madmaz116 said:

i will say this Codies , Ive gone from being hyped to death over this game , looking for the ultimate Edition everywhere to buy , to maybe i'll get the base game when it comes down in price or if some of the issues (ie damage!) get sorted , which i know they wont.

Such a massive letdown

As that title of that review video says..  ALWAYS WAIT FOR THE REVIEW!

Man I feel bad for letting your hype down. Some of the issues can probably be fixed in patches although I don’t think something substantial like damage will ever be fixed. Such a shame really.