Watered down damage.

3 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Seems like a mediocre review. No, I dislike Race Driver: GRID and just because the reviewer likes it, it doesn't mean I'll agree.

Basically what he says for those who aren't interested in watching:

• Race Driver: GRID is better (no explanation except for the intro video and another sentence)
  • GRID: Autosport has one of the best damage models (no)
  • The 60fps thingy
  • The graphics are amazing
  • Unexciting career
  • Also complaining about the AI nemesis driving and the fact that he doesn't understand how he keeps turning into the AI despite there being metres of space on his right
  • Too little accidents

...maybe I'm just a bit too 'hardcore' to listen to this guy. This guy would probably give rF2 a single star or something due to AI being "too aggressive", no career mode, no huge accidents and bad graphics...

Also who is this 'PR company'? Codemasters PR team, Koch Media or another third party?

I’m not here to discuss reviews or the rest. I’m discussing damage. You’ve got to admit that part he is right about. Although mechanical damage may not be the best, the actual look and deformation of damage in GAS and older Grids was beyond any other games with licensed cars. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Race Driver: GRID is better (no explanation except for the intro video and another sentence)

He stated it clearly several times - better camera reaction on car jumping and better damage model at least

11 minutes ago, UP100 said:

GRID: Autosport has one of the best damage models (no)

At the release date - yes. Name the game with better damage.

• Agree 1

Codemasters used to make videos and blogs about damage before release of a new Grid game. No wonder they didn’t this time....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lastbreath said:

At the release date - yes. Name the game with better damage.

Well for example a game from 2005 has damage that affects a driver more than GAS. My retirement count is still 1 in GAS, because it's ridiculously hard to actually be forced to retire in that game 😛 That's still the only example I have off it as I uploaded that to the Codies forums to talk about how the F1 games just need more physics in their crashes, as effects are just completely pointless most of the time.

These days it seems that iRacing is going to be the one ruling the damage system is serious games with their new WIP damage system that simulates the suspension in a way that makes it look like real life!

OK, GAS wasn't the best. But it still has better damage than GRID, that was the point of the review.

Edited by lastbreath

Can @ChrisGrovesMCM chime in and explain what happened? It’s okay to let us know if manufacturers are the reason. I remember asking the old codies dev Paul Coleman about the decrease in  damage quality of the Dirt series and he cited tougher licensing as a cause. 

Edited by Bluestig

https://youtu.be/ZrRMkHnRVZU

Ok I guess you can lose atleast the wing and roll ( although a crash like that would result in atleast twice the rolls in previous Grids). But what’s glaringly obvious is the lack of deformation. It’s almost non-existent. 

Edit: can someone remind me how to embed videos into posts on mobile. I can only post the link atm. 

Edited by Bluestig

3 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

That’s the same person that made the review video. Although the carbon fibre breaking is impressive the actual deformation and other stuff is 10 times less. 

6 minutes ago, Bluestig said:

That’s the same person that made the review video

But in video game director of GRID explains demage system

Edited by lastbreath

10 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

But in video game director of GRID explains demage system

Yeah I know. Trust me I’ve seen it the day it came out since I keep an eye on damage related stuff. It’s impressive how complicated it is. All they actually need to do to make it better than previous Grids is make a few parts detatchable and increase the damage deformation value to 10x. It’s probably possible to do with a mod since it was done with dirt rally. These systems are impressive on their own right but the thing is they’ve been around since before Grid with codemasters themselves in the Toca series. The deformation value won’t be increased though because it has a reason behind it, otherwise it should be rather simple. 

This is from the og grid:

https://youtu.be/OaM4OOSZ2-E

Edited by Bluestig

On 10/8/2019 at 5:50 PM, Bluestig said:

Can @ChrisGrovesMCM chime in and explain what happened? It’s okay to let us know if manufacturers are the reason. I remember asking the old codies dev Paul Coleman about the decrease in  damage quality of the Dirt series and he cited tougher licensing as a cause. 

I never understand this , why dont they tell the manufactures who dont like their cars getting smashed to get lost and work with those who dont mind it. I dont think Wreckfest has licensed cars , but they look like licensed cars. For gods sake , any rule in business is give your customers what they want , not pander to your suppliers.

Edited by Madmaz116

1 minute ago, Sir.Smoke said:

If anything, I would blame Ferrari. They don't like their cars getting smashed up.

Fine , then dont friggin use them in the game

• Agree 1

What if China is the reason? The game from the start has two chinese tracks (first chinese tracks in the series) and this means chinese market is involved. So, who knows, is China loyal to track incidents?

19 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

What if China is the reason? The game from the start has two chinese tracks (first chinese tracks in the series) and this means chinese market is involved. So, who knows, is China loyal to track incidents?

B1478D1E-F5D4-453E-914A-0D593FFB745E.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Madmaz116 said:

Fine , then dont friggin use them in the game

Exactly what I was saying. I guess the marketing of Ferrari outweighs decent damage for codies...

I’ve noticed another thing. The actual physics of collisions have also been altered. In previous Grid’s there were plenty of airborne crashes and rolls just like real racing. In the newer version cars are glued to the road and heavy. Notice how on San Francisco cars barely get any air. Or in crashes how cars never seem roll happy. In the older Grids cars used to roll after hitting gravel sideways. Now they react like concrete slabs. Hell even the bottoms of cars aren’t as detailed since they’re not required to be since cars act like maglev trains. 

3 minutes ago, Bluestig said:

I’ve noticed another thing. The actual physics of collisions have also been altered. In previous Grid’s there were plenty of airborne crashes and rolls just like real racing. In the newer version cars are glued to the road and heavy. Notice how on San Francisco cars barely get any air. Or in crashes how cars never seem roll happy. In the older Grids cars used to roll after hitting gravel sideways. Now they react like concrete slabs. Hell even the bottoms of cars aren’t as detailed since they’re not required to be since cars act like maglev trains. 

I would be inclined to say that this has more to do with the heavier cars in general in G2019 compared to the original.

Even from a handling perspective, the cars were extremely light and floaty in the original, whereas Autosport and now G2019 the cars are a lot heavier and stickier overall.

This would translate to cars being airborne much less often and for less time. Doesn't make for spectacular crashes, but it makes for better handling.

Look how the underside of cars is barely detailed unlike older Grids or Dirt:

CA733739-B391-4063-BB2D-8022525F88DD.png

Edited by Bluestig

3 minutes ago, mojoe_x said:

I would be inclined to say that this has more to do with the heavier cars in general in G2019 compared to the original.

Even from a handling perspective, the cars were extremely light and floaty in the original, whereas Autosport and now G2019 the cars are a lot heavier and stickier overall.

This would translate to cars being airborne much less often and for less time. Doesn't make for spectacular crashes, but it makes for better handling.

Well if that’s the case, which looks to be part of the reason, then that’s a rather lazy way to change the handling. The overall physics and handling should be independent from each other. Looks like they just increased the gravity of the game world.