Watered down damage.

WOW those pictures are great , how the hell do the Devs miss this , its their game for crying out loud. ...."ok lets re-boot Grid - brilliant idea everyone loved it , the handling , the damage model , multiplayer was a blast.. but we'll tone it down in every area". Gods sake.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Madmaz116 said:

WOW those pictures are great , how the hell do the Devs miss this , its their game for crying out loud. ...."ok lets re-boot Grid - brilliant idea everyone loved it , the handling , the damage model , multiplayer was a blast.. but we'll tone it down in every area". Gods sake.

I don’t think they missed it per-se. The damage downgrade is deliberate and there must be a reason behind it. That’s what I was asking @ChrisGrovesMCM or @PJTierney. Just tell us straight. The damage has slowly been reduced ever since 2014 ish ever since Autosport. After that Dirt rally came out with quite inferior damage compared to older games but atleast you could lose wheels. Then came dirt4 and rally2. In these games wheels stopped falling off but atleast they improved terminal damage and carbon fibre effects. But the ball dropped in the new Grid, a game known for its damage effects. Something else coincided with this? Ferrari’s in Grid. So that must be it otherwise it’s beyond me. I’ll have to say Ferrari is in no way worth it if we have to suffer from watered down damage. 

3 minutes ago, Bluestig said:

I don’t think they missed it per-se. The damage downgrade is deliberate and there must be a reason behind it. That’s what I was asking @ChrisGrovesMCM or @PJTierney. Just tell us straight. The damage has slowly been reduced ever since 2014 ish ever since Autosport. After that Dirt rally came out with quite inferior damage compared to older games but atleast you could lose wheels. Then came dirt4 and rally2. In these games wheels stopped falling off but atleast they improved terminal damage and carbon fibre effects. But the ball dropped in the new Grid, a game known for its damage effects. Something else coincided with this? Ferrari’s in Grid. So that must be it otherwise it’s beyond me. I’ll have to say Ferrari is in no way worth it if we have to suffer from watered down damage. 

agreed, tell those prima donna manufacturers to **** off

Edited by Madmaz116

4 minutes ago, Bluestig said:

A million factors go into stuff like this, none of which we can disclose (unless I fancy losing my job). Getting things like the damage model into its current state (which is far more in-depth than many competitors) requires a lot of hard work and persistence on so many topics. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Someone said that it could be manufacturers. It's not, as evident by many other games which feature proper damage models.

1 minute ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

A million factors go into stuff like this, none of which we can disclose (unless I fancy losing my job). Getting things like the damage model into its current state (which is far more in-depth than many competitors) requires a lot of hard work and persistence on so many topics. 🙂

Well I can read between the lines. Thanks for replying. Although Grid damage is leaps and bounds better than the competition I just wish it could be as good as old times. Ah well thanks anyway. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

A million factors go into stuff like this, many of which we can't disclose. Getting things like the damage model into its current state (which is far more in-depth than many competitors) requires a lot of hard work and persistence on so many topics. 🙂

We're not saying you dont work hard at it, we are saying its not as good as it used to be , why? if you can do it for Grid one why not for Grid 2019 ?

3 minutes ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

One thing I’d like to add for future titles is please don’t sacrifice damage for licensing to some manufacturers. Please keep the damage a priority. Thanks. 

1 minute ago, Bluestig said:

Although Grid damage is leaps and bounds better than the competition

Uhm, no.

3 minutes ago, Madmaz116 said:

We're not saying you dont work hard at it, we are saying its not as good as it used to be , why? if you can do it for Grid one why not for Grid 2019 ?

Begins with an F and ends with 'errari' 😉

2 minutes ago, Bluestig said:

Which game with licensed cars has better damage? 

to be fair I thought the damage model in Project Cars 2 was better

Just now, Azzawon said:

Begins with an F and ends with 'errari' 😉

It just baffles me that manufacturers spoil our games because they think crashing a virtual car would impact their real life image. I mean in the bigger picture doesn’t crashing with good damage promote safety amongst young people? 

Just now, Bluestig said:

Which game with licensed cars has better damage? 

Project Cars, ACC, Codemasters' own Dirt 2

Just now, Madmaz116 said:

to be fair I thought the damage model in Project Cars 2 was better

It’s better in the sense that you can lose wheels. The visuals like scratches and nicks are better in Grid. The deformation is also way more advanced although it’s been toned down so much that it’s become on par with pcars. Let’s see what pcars 3 damage looks like. Gone are the days when Grid used to be the clear winner though. 

2 minutes ago, Bluestig said:

It just baffles me that manufacturers spoil our games because they think crashing a virtual car would impact their real life image. I mean in the bigger picture doesn’t crashing with good damage promote safety amongst young people? 

We don't make the rules I'm afraid! Hey, at least we don't have the issue of EA owning all rights to using Porsches in video games any more 😁

Grid was never a "clear winner". It had a "thin aluminium foil" damage model which was exaggerated too much.

It’s better in the sense that you can lose wheels. The visuals like scratches and nicks are better in Grid. The deformation is also way more advanced although it’s been toned down so much that it’s become on par with pcars. Let’s see what pcars 3 damage looks like. Gone are the days when Grid used to be the clear winner though. 

i also think the way the car reacted when you hit a wall or somthing was better , more often than not your steering was effected in some way , ie as if a wheel was damaged , i had loads of lefty and righty 's..lol

5 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

Project Cars, ACC, Codemasters' own Dirt 2

Project cars maybe in some situations although it’s not nearly as advanced. 

Asseto- lol not even close 

Dirt- As I’ve said many a time and the reason for this topic itself, every previous codies game has superior damage to the new one. 

3 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

Grid was never a "clear winner". It had a "thin aluminium foil" damage model which was exaggerated too much.

Have you seen real life crash tests? That’s what cars act like crashing at over 100mph

1 minute ago, Madmaz116 said:

i also think the way the car reacted when you hit a wall or somthing was better , more often than not your steering was effected in some way , ie as if a wheel was damaged , i had loads of lefty and righty 's..lol

Most likely, mechanical damage this was toned down to pander to the arcade crowd who drive like bumper cars against the wall. I mean, they have R26, where one bump against the wall is DNF, but here there is zero damage, even to the wings. 😂

Dirt- As I’ve said many a time and the reason for this topic itself, every previous codies game has superior damage to the new one.

Yes, I agree with this. I just don't agree it was better than the competition. NFS Shift 1&2 were superior, for example. It's just that Grid 2019 is so abysmal, that all previous games had a better visual damage system. And to be honest, I really don't care if the engine has support for some advanced physical damage model (we know it does, from Dirt and F1). The problem is what is in display in this game, which is really not good.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

Most likely, mechanical damage this was toned down to pander to the arcade crowd who drive like bumper cars against the wall. I mean, they have R26, where one bump against the wall is DNF, but here there is zero damage, even to the wings. 😂

Yes, I agree with this. I just don't agree it was better than the competition. NFS Shift 1&2 were superior, for example. It's just that Grid 2019 is so abysmal, that all previous games had a better visual damage system. And to be honest, I really don't care if the engine has support for some advanced physical damage model (we know it does, from Dirt and F1). The problem is what is in display in this game, which is really not good.

To be clear I’m talking about visual aspects of damage like deformation and cracks and holes in bumpers etc. Mechanical damage ofc wasn’t the best ever in Grid series.  

So it looks like we will never get good damage in future titles anymore. At this point we’ll just have to wait for games with unlicensed cars to have good damage.