Watered down damage.

17 minutes ago, cpcdem said:

As pointed above, as years pass, car manufacturers permit less and less damage shown in their cars. Thus my point, you can complain to the car companies that license them to devs, but the devs can't do something about it anymore. Unless they create games like Beam.NG which do not have licensed cars.

Ofcourse I’ve heard of Beamng. Ever since it’s conception. Beamng is only on Pc though and isn’t fully a game yet. We’re just voicing our opinions and hoping their heard. Who knows, maybe in the future it could influence the devs to seek out better more cooperative manufacturers or maybe better deals or something. Who knows? Better than staying silent and never influencing anything even if there’s a 0.1% chance, you get what I mean?

10 minutes ago, Bluestig said:

Ofcourse I’ve heard of Beamng. Ever since it’s conception. Beamng is only on Pc though and isn’t fully a game yet. We’re just voicing our opinions and hoping their heard. Who knows, maybe in the future it could influence the devs to seek out better more cooperative manufacturers or maybe better deals or something. Who knows? Better than staying silent and never influencing anything even if there’s a 0.1% chance, you get what I mean?

Yeah agreed in general of course! I just do not get it why it is so important for people to have detailed damage in _racing_ games. (would also prefer it if they did have, I just don't get it why it is so important, causing people to create so many threads everywhere just for this).

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, cpcdem said:

Yeah agreed in general of course! I just do not get it why it is so important for people to have detailed damage in _racing_ games. (would also prefer it if they did have, I just don't get it why it is so important, causing people to create so many threads everywhere just for this).

Because in previous games, the damage was decisive to the time to do a overtake, because of the risk of ruining your race, now there is no punishment or risk at all and benefits to crashers in multiplayer, for example (main reason for me).

1 hour ago, SanGanchaoo said:

Because in previous games, the damage was decisive to the time to do a overtake, because of the risk of ruining your race, now there is no punishment or risk at all and benefits to crashers in multiplayer, for example (main reason for me).

I agree about that, even though damage cannot be visually very severe, it should have a considerable effect on performance. Optionally of course, to cover each person's preferences.

1 hour ago, cpcdem said:

I agree about that, even though damage cannot be visually very severe, it should have a considerable effect on performance. Optionally of course, to cover each person's preferences.

Yes but consider the game here friends. This is Grid - not AC, or PC. The premise of Grid is to keep things moving and promote contact in the spirit of fun aggressive driving. Can you imagine if damage affected drivability to an extent where at the first turn, 50% of the lobby was ousted by contact not of their own doing? Keep in mind the crowd playing this game - whilst there many (myself included), who love more serious titles - the bulk of the playing public are those who just want an enriching and fun driving experience. Limiting damage is the only way to ensure you can get kicked around, without dire consequence and still have a fighting chance to finish on the podium if you drive well after the ‘cluster **** corners’ that are imminent and inevitable with a simcade game like Grid.

3 hours ago, cpcdem said:

As pointed above, as years pass, car manufacturers permit less and less damage shown in their cars. 

Is there any real proof of this that can be checked out?

49 minutes ago, jesped said:

1. Not proof, but it has been implied or said indirectly by multiple devs. Not only here.

2. People are asking for damage mechanics, but studios (all or most of them) put less and less in their games, even if their previous iterations had it.

I think it's not too difficult to make an assumption that is extremely likely to be true...

6 hours ago, cpcdem said:

Well there’s a reason people make threads about it everywhere. It’s the same reason crash compilation videos get millions of views. People like crashes and when they happen people want them to be spectacular. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, jesped said:

No, just nonsense myth that will never be disproven by game developers because it alleviates responsibility and blame from them.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

No, just nonsense myth that will never be disproven by game developers because it alleviates responsibility and blame from them.

It would be good for the people that keep saying this to put some links to anything that supports these claims then. 

1 hour ago, Bluestig said:

Well there’s a reason people make threads about it everywhere. It’s the same reason crash compilation videos get millions of views. People like crashes and when they happen people want them to be spectacular. 

Exactly, those slow-motion crashes where you can feel the severity of your bad driving skills. 😄
Now it looks like bumper cars.

BTW, there was a thread on Reddit, one or two years ago, in which a developer was speaking about the lack of damage model in their game (I don't remember what it was), and they admitted it was down to resources and priority, and that there were no pressures from the car manufacturers. I kick myself I didn't save a link to that, but who knew this kind of nonsense would still be spreading in 2019... 🤦‍♂️

Check this video out at 5:23, posted elsewhere on these forums:

Notice the damage on the car. If a manufacturer allows this kind of damage, they allow any kind of damage. Stop spreading this nonsense myth.

25 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

Notice the damage on the car. If a manufacturer allows this kind of damage, they allow any kind of damage. Stop spreading this nonsense myth.

Damn, the whole camera shaking and the crash in GRID2 are waaaaay more impressive and exciting. GRID 2019 is so muffled, static and boring... 🤦‍♂️

10 minutes ago, jesped said:

Damn, the whole camera shaking and the crash in GRID2 are waaaaay more impressive

As I said earlier GRID2 was amazing game but wrongly advertised. My thougths are Codemasters should change all its management before its too late. Because all last fails are on their responsibility. They absolutely don't understand needs of audience. GRID2 - misadvertised, Motorstorm - unreleased, GRID - poorly designed. I hope this is not the end of Codemasters...

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, andmcq said:

IMO, Grid 2 is easily the best Grid game. By miles.

If only Codemasters didn't cheap out and remove the in-car view. Grid 2 is, indeed, in my opinion, the worst game because it lacks any proper way to drive in the game. Followed closely by Grid Autosport.

Edited by Leo Natan
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

" They absolutely don't understand needs of audience."

Ive said this all along , you give customers what they want , thats a fundamental rule in any business and its non negotiable.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Leo Natan said:

wow the difference is just amazing , i dont get this , why the hell would any developer make their game worse in this respect. im just gobsmaked

Check out this dirt rally 1 mod:

It’s obviously exaggerated but look how fun that could be even as an optional setting. Of course with the new visual fidelity improvements of 2019 with carbon fibre cracks and stuff. It’s obviously all still there but the settings have been toned down in the game engine to 1 out of 10. As I said before it’s like a caged animal. Why not put the game engine to use. Might as well make a game for us damage fans without licenses in a realistic setting if that’s the issue. The Ego engine is going to waste since this was one of its benefits over competitors.

Side note: Just look at the views. Millions across his channel just from a damage mod. There’s obviously demand for good damage. Even the trailer for the game doesn’t have that many views.  

Edited by Bluestig

@Bluestig 1:12 in that video. Yeah, no. That looks terrible. It's not how cars deform. This is what I was talking about in previous posts. The car is deformed, but it looks terrible.

7 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

@Bluestig 1:12 in that video. Yeah, no. That looks terrible. It's not how cars deform. This is what I was talking about in previous posts. The car is deformed, but it looks terrible.

How else do they deform? It can obviously be fine tuned since it’s just a mod. It can’t rival beamng but it’s better than most still. 

1 minute ago, Bluestig said:

How else do they deform? It can obviously be fine tuned since it’s just a mod. It can’t rival beamng but it’s better than most still. 

A vehicle's frame consists of many different materials which break and/or deform differently under different forces and pressure. In video games, especially older ones, the frame is usually modeled as one mesh, with textures used to create the illusion of smaller details. What you are seeing mostly in that video is that mesh' vertices being deformed, but it deforms as a single entity, in ways that make no sense physically. For example, in a real vehicle crash, the bumper deforms differently than the body, because they are different materials and/or different concentration of material and/or different shape.

Modeling a vehicle to include all the different elements. as well as having physically correct deformation calculation is required for a realistic visual damage model.

4 minutes ago, Bluestig said:

@Leo NatanLook similar-ish to me:

Not really. This is exactly what I mean in my post above. The above image shows a single deformed mesh, whereas the bottom one shows different materials at different deformations.

Look how different materials respond.

Some shutter, some bend, others tear off. Not a single mesh that is bent inward.