Watered down damage.

7 hours ago, Buckwilder said:

Yes but consider the game here friends. This is Grid - not AC, or PC. The premise of Grid is to keep things moving and promote contact in the spirit of fun aggressive driving. Can you imagine if damage affected drivability to an extent where at the first turn, 50% of the lobby was ousted by contact not of their own doing? Keep in mind the crowd playing this game - whilst there many (myself included), who love more serious titles - the bulk of the playing public are those who just want an enriching and fun driving experience. Limiting damage is the only way to ensure you can get kicked around, without dire consequence and still have a fighting chance to finish on the podium if you drive well after the ‘cluster **** corners’ that are imminent and inevitable with a simcade game like Grid.

Im sorry but thats totally bulls**t. Cant disagree more to your comment.

All here pretty much played GRID 1 and 2 with good damage and option to kill ourselves at first corners and still had fun and were able to finish in the podium in the past in a race with accidents and damaged affecting our drivability. Its called skill, and adaptability to a hostile environment, something underrrated on this days...

The game of now only benefits maniacs with no sense of racing at all. Thats totally a big SH** way to play this game and a big shame in a 2019 game.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

Look how different materials respond.

Some shutter, some bend, others tear off. Not a single mesh that is bent inward.

Ofcourse you’re right in that regard. So far to date only Beamng is capable of doing that and unfortunately it’s hard to do in a racing game on consoles since it’s resource intense. Maybe in the next generation? Atm a more simplistic model will have to do. 

1 minute ago, Bluestig said:

Ofcourse you’re right in that regard. So far to date only Beamng is capable of doing that and unfortunately it’s hard to do in a racing game on consoles since it’s resource intense. Maybe in the next generation? Atm a more simplistic model will have to do. 

Yes, yes. I also don't think that simulating all this is necessary in a game where crashing isn't the point. When I drive in a game, I usually don't look to crash the car, unless it's Burnout or Flatout type games. But there is a middle ground that can be found, which is way above your video of Dirt Rally mod (or Grid 1/2), but not quite up to real physics.

5 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

Yes, yes. I also don't think that simulating all this is necessary in a game where crashing isn't the point. When I drive in a game, I usually don't look to crash the car, unless it's Burnout or Flatout type games. But there is a middle ground that can be found, which is way above your video of Dirt Rally mod (or Grid 1/2), but not quite up to real physics.

I guess a bit more effort can optimise it. Maybe if the car is divided into more parts and those parts are given different deformation values based on materials? I’m sure we’ll get more better damage games coming next gen. 

2 hours ago, SanGanchaoo said:

Im sorry but thats totally bulls**t. Cant disagree more to your comment.

All here pretty much played GRID 1 and 2 with good damage and option to kill ourselves at first corners and still had fun and were able to finish in the podium in the past in a race with accidents and damaged affecting our drivability. Its called skill, and adaptability to a hostile environment, something underrrated on this days...

The game of now only benefits maniacs with no sense of racing at all. Thats totally a big SH** way to play this game and a big shame in a 2019 game.

Why is damage so important? There is a game that makes this the focal point - it’s called Wreckfest. Explain to me what value would be added be increasing damage effects? The joy people would take in knowing they can permanently damage or sabotage another players car to affect the outcome of a race? Do you really thing people would think twice about being a jackass and driving like a moron? Or would it actually have an inverse effect and inspire people to inflict harm? Again, consider the audience/target-market. The bulk of players are are casual racing fans, not sim-racers trying to shave tenths of seconds off their PB lap times amidst a room full of non-serious racers. What I will agree on is that it would be nice to have the option for increased damage modelling and effect - for private lobbies and such...but for general lobbies where people join, race, and move on to the next - I don’t see the potential upside in this feature, sorry.

12 minutes ago, Buckwilder said:

Why is damage so important? There is a game that makes this the focal point - it’s called Wreckfest. Explain to me what value would be added be increasing damage effects? The joy people would take in knowing they can permanently damage or sabotage another players car to affect the outcome of a race? Do you really thing people would think twice about being a jackass and driving like a moron? Or would it actually have an inverse effect and inspire people to inflict harm? Again, consider the audience/target-market. The bulk of players are are casual racing fans, not sim-racers trying to shave tenths of seconds off their PB lap times amidst a room full of non-serious racers. What I will agree on is that it would be nice to have the option for increased damage modelling and effect - for private lobbies and such...but for general lobbies where people join, race, and move on to the next - I don’t see the potential upside in this feature, sorry.

Racing worked perfectly fine in previous Grids with good damage. There are always options available if you don’t want to race with damage. 

• Thanks 1

Without proper damage model you can drive like in NFS, cornering by walls. What is wrong a little for a game that is supposed to be about realistic motorsport

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

Without proper damage model you can drive like in NFS, cornering by walls. What is wrong a little for a game that is supposed to be about realistic motorsport

Exactly, as I’ve said time and again damage is part of motorsport. It’s a game about racing not just driving a car. In motorsport managing damage is a part of the skill. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Buckwilder said:

For me, you sound like if you never played a previous GRID game before, and Im not going to argue with you. I have given you arguments to start again the conversation and keep repeating the same. The previous grids games had the option to kick players from a room if they act like jackass, and it worked pretty well, nothing else to say. You can keep on your bubble...

2 hours ago, SanGanchaoo said:

For me, you sound like if you never played a previous GRID game before, and Im not going to argue with you. I have given you arguments to start again the conversation and keep repeating the same. The previous grids games had the option to kick players from a room if they act like jackass, and it worked pretty well, nothing else to say. You can keep on your bubble...

Played them all. Enjoyed them all. Enjoying this one as well.  

I have been a member of the CM forum for many years as you can likely ascertain from my post count. I am not ‘arguing’ with anyone, just sharing my view on the matter, the same as you are sharing yours. These threads are full of opinion and conjecture, and this my slant on the matter. 

As I noted above - I would like to see future updates bring about the inclusion of damage and subsequently more penalties for those who drive in such fashion, but added as a private lobby option at least.

I’m fairly certain the nuances of this debate were had internally at CM during development, and they decided to go in the direction they did for reasons that are justified, and perhaps include decisions involving details of which we are not privy too (licensing agreements and the like).

So I will stay on my ‘bubble’ as you so eloquently put it - and you can contemplate forum etiquette and understand that we all reserve the right to formulate our own opinions and share them collectively without being made to feel ‘out of line’, while doing so. 😉

28 minutes ago, Buckwilder said:

Played them all. Enjoyed them all. Enjoying this one as well.  

I have been a member of the CM forum for many years as you can likely ascertain from my post count. I am not ‘arguing’ with anyone, just sharing my view on the matter, the same as you are sharing yours. These threads are full of opinion and conjecture, and this my slant on the matter. 

As I noted above - I would like to see future updates bring about the inclusion of damage and subsequently more penalties for those who drive in such fashion, but added as a private lobby option at least.

I’m fairly certain the nuances of this debate were had internally at CM during development, and they decided to go in the direction they did for reasons that are justified, and perhaps include decisions involving details of which we are not privy too (licensing agreements and the like).

So I will stay on my ‘bubble’ as you so eloquently put it - and you can contemplate forum etiquette and understand that we all reserve the right to formulate our own opinions and share them collectively without being made to feel ‘out of line’, while doing so. 😉

Whatever...

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, SanGanchaoo said:

Whatever...

giphy.gif

😂

Everyone loves Chuck. They should add his face as a livery option.

Edited by Buckwilder

45 minutes ago, Buckwilder said:

Everyone loves Chuck.

I don't 🤷‍♂️ He is a nutcase, if you've ever listened to his politics.

• Agree 1

Have you all changed the difficulty settings to:

I have played quite a few races so far so I captured some damage. Doors hanging off, bumpers off, dents.

Smoke pooring out of engine, rear dent, panel off, crushed engine. This is enough for me. Terminal damage unable to steer or move 🙈

Edited by torque99uk
  • Like 1

The Ferrari was hard to damage. Mainly exterior bonnet and scratches. Main damage was engine, suspension and steering gone! (see icons in photo) Steering to left and smoke out of engine mainly visible but it sounded very rough! So they even adjust the audio to what gets damaged. 👌

1 hour ago, torque99uk said:

Have you all changed the difficulty settings to:

1220502867_GRID(2019)Screenshot2019_10.11-18_50_40_93.thumb.jpg.43df38b2cacec458d47179e9b33ee18f.jpg

I have played quite a few races so far so I captured some damage. Doors hanging off, bumpers off, dents.

1880924316_GRID(2019)Screenshot2019_10.11-18_49_33_34.thumb.jpg.203929f1df766873e490ef025d98da50.jpg

GRID_(2019)_Screenshot_2019_10_11_-_19_11_30_96.thumb.jpg.fd9640da530a00d6b7baf38a3cf2b953.jpgGRID_(2019)_Screenshot_2019_10_11_-_19_11_44_96.thumb.jpg.caa86c88d1f4e53c9e7cc740daf1c03b.jpgGRID_(2019)_Screenshot_2019_10.11_-_19_12_05_53.thumb.jpg.92823fb37f90b190167cb0488627e372.jpg

Smoke pooring out of engine, rear dent, panel off, crushed engine. This is enough for me. Terminal damage unable to steer or move 🙈

Thanks for your efforts but as you can probably see from all the posted videos and photos of older Grid’s, they were leaps and bounds better. The new one has lesser parts and waaay lesser deformation. 

3 minutes ago, torque99uk said:

The Ferrari was hard to damage. Mainly exterior bonnet and scratches. Main damage was engine, suspension and steering gone! (see icons in photo) Steering to left and smoke out of engine mainly visible but it sounded very rough! So they even adjust the audio to what gets damaged. 👌

Trust me, the features you are noting have been in codies games for decades now. Nothing new. As you can see from all my previous posts, the newer Grid can’t even come close to the older ones. The only thing better in the newer version is the crack and broken plastic textures. 

Edited by Bluestig

Yep I have been playing since forever TOCA days then all grids, I have also seen it change. I think you guys are right and new licensing with the track and car manufacturers get signed this takes affect as old ones expire. That is why they must have removed the first GRID game off steam.

I think going forward there will be less and less damage in games where real manufactures are involved. I did read somewhere I can't remember and I may have to dig it out, but it said they maybe  working on some unlicensed cars that will have more damage after release. 

Edited by torque99uk

This is TOCA racedriver 3 damage. Look how good it was even back in the day:

Parts falling off, deformation etc all better. Ahead of it’s time or maybe newer games have regressed. 

• Like 1

Awesome games back then. Especially the ToCA Games I may have to get all my old consoles out the attic/loft and find a scart lead for nostalgia!.

• Agree 1

The crowd enjoyed me practicing damage the other day, cheering away 🙂

Edited by torque99uk
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

This game is stunning and terrible simultaneously. For example such thing as crowd reaction on accidents - is really immersive detail. But look higher and you will see tree flickering right in front of the car... It seems deadline was too fast... And the game is definitely not complete.

• Agree 1