Jump to content

Watered down damage.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Bluestig said:

This is TOCA racedriver 3 damage. Look how good it was even back in the day:

Parts falling off, deformation etc all better. Ahead of it’s time or maybe newer games have regressed. 

Playing Grid 2019 makes me miss Race Driver 3 so much. Wish they would have gone in that direction instead of what we got. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ferrethead81 said:

Playing Grid 2019 makes me miss Race Driver 3 so much. Wish they would have gone in that direction instead of what we got. 

Gotta pander to the arcade clowns. Same with Dirt. The Rally series are much better, but still nowhere near as good as the Colin McRae series. But Dirt 2 and 3 🤦‍♂️ with Travis Pastrama, Ken Block and all the Gymhackwhatever nonsense they had in those games. Yuck

Edited by Leo Natan
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 2:48 PM, Buckwilder said:

Why is damage so important? There is a game that makes this the focal point - it’s called Wreckfest. Explain to me what value would be added be increasing damage effects? The joy people would take in knowing they can permanently damage or sabotage another players car to affect the outcome of a race? Do you really thing people would think twice about being a jackass and driving like a moron? Or would it actually have an inverse effect and inspire people to inflict harm? Again, consider the audience/target-market. The bulk of players are are casual racing fans, not sim-racers trying to shave tenths of seconds off their PB lap times amidst a room full of non-serious racers. What I will agree on is that it would be nice to have the option for increased damage modelling and effect - for private lobbies and such...but for general lobbies where people join, race, and move on to the next - I don’t see the potential upside in this feature, sorry.

really ? this way next step can be a power limiter to 90HP to every car so everyone can drive the perfect trajectory line… 

2019 realism should be only improved… full damage and custom lobby where there are enough settings to choose your game... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game is like 1.5x the pace of Autosport, with the amount of crashing it causes, I'm actually glad there is less damage.

  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, it's literally impossible to make more detailed and spectacular damage in patch by Devs.

I hope someone can make mod for better damage at least...

**** you Ferrari and your ****** up license politics.

I'm starting to regret that I bought this game...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, xOzarPLx said:

So, it's literally impossible to make more detailed and spectacular damage in patch by Devs.

I hope someone can make mod for better damage at least...

**** you Ferrari and your ****** up license politics.

I'm starting to regret that I bought this game...

Yeah it’s a shame really. Don’t see us ever getting better damage even in future games unless they somehow work out magic contracts like olden days. I guess codies used to pay hefty fees for better contracts but now have resorted to saving some money and making damage the same as all other games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 10:20 AM, Madmaz116 said:

Ive said this all along , you give customers what they want , thats a fundamental rule in any business and its non negotiable.

" If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”  -- Henry Ford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I don’t get is A.I cars can clearly lose wheels in their scripted crashes and failure, so why can’t the player? It’s especially lame when you crash an open wheeler at 200mph and the wheels  don’t even budge after direct contact. Even f1 games atleast have tethers and stuff but the alonso car doesn’t even lose wheels?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me the one thing that should be addressed is the effect an impact has on your car , ie it becomes more difficult to drive , I know its in the game , but it is more or less non existant , Ive smashed big time into walls and other cars without any effect other than losing a bonnett etc. The problem with that is that with no effect on your car it negates any risk of overtaking or driving recklessley, which is why you get bumper car racing, and why people have no fear of ramming online. If it was cranked up then those that drive like an idiot would be out of a race quite quickly.

Plus it would make for a better single player game.

 

Edited by Madmaz116
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2019 at 12:14 AM, xOzarPLx said:

So, it's literally impossible to make more detailed and spectacular damage in patch by Devs.

I hope someone can make mod for better damage at least...

**** you Ferrari and your ****** up license politics.

I'm starting to regret that I bought this game...

But there is nothing to stop them from the "effects" they  already have in the game being turned up. I see damage icons for suspension , steering , and engine, on the HUD,  none of them come on or effect the car at the moment , even smashing hard into a wall.

Edited by Madmaz116

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2019 at 2:14 AM, xOzarPLx said:

So, it's literally impossible to make more detailed and spectacular damage in patch by Devs.

I hope someone can make mod for better damage at least...

**** you Ferrari and your ****** up license politics.

I'm starting to regret that I bought this game...

Stop parroting this myth. It's the developer's fault, not Ferrari.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

Stop parroting this myth. It's the developer's fault, not Ferrari.

Well, I would point the finger at Ferrari more than Codemasters. REASON:

Codemasters did reduce the damage to some extent, But I really think Ferrari Feared that their cars would get crunched like a tin can, and said that they would pull licencing from the game if it shipped with that level of damage.

  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, CordedQuill42 said:

I really think Ferrari Feared that their cars would get crunched like a tin can, and said that they would pull licencing from the game if it shipped with that level of damage.

You think?  there's gotta be a better base than that to say it is a thing of Codemasters or the brands...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leo Natan said:

Stop parroting this myth. It's the developer's fault, not Ferrari.

I wish that was a myth, but the reality is sadly different. Ferrari cars (Aston Martin, Porsche too) in the game have reduced damage realative to other brands.

Why could Codemasters do that? Lazyness? I don't think so.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, xOzarPLx said:

I wish that was a myth, but the reality is sadly different. Ferrari cars (Aston Martin, Porsche too) in the game have reduced damage realative to other brands.

Then post some link to any proof of this.

Edited by jesped

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, xOzarPLx said:

I wish that was a myth, but the reality is sadly different. Ferrari cars (Aston Martin, Porsche too) in the game have reduced damage realative to other brands.

Why could Codemasters do that? Lazyness? I don't think so.

Take a look at vehicles from the same manufacturers in different games. All have damage. You can "think" whatever you want, but it has no factual basis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jesped said:

You think?  there's gotta be a better base than that to say it is a thing of Codemasters or the brands...

I do not know what happened behind the scenes, so I cannot fully judge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2019 at 8:56 PM, jesped said:

Then post some link to any proof of this.

I don't have to..

In Ferrari, Aston Martin and Prosche cars you can't loose bumpers, hood, trunk, fenders etc. fun fact is that these parts looks like they could be detached (yes i have tested that by crashing hundreds times in walls, cars and so on) for some reason in others cars you can loose these parts.

You can probably fix that by changing something deep in game code.

You think it's a bug, glitch, oversight?

In dirt rally 2.0 Aston Martin, Porsche have same issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Leo Natan said:

Take a look at vehicles from the same manufacturers in different games. All have damage. You can "think" whatever you want, but it has no factual basis.

What games? Give me some examples of conterporary racing games with proper damage maybe besides Project Cars 2.

I'm not talking that these cars have no damage. They have but worse than other cars in the game.

Although the damage itself is still better than in Forza, Gran Turismo Sport, Assetto Corsa Competizione (talking about cosmetics).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, xOzarPLx said:

conterporary racing games with proper damage maybe besides Project Cars 2.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say the license thing is quite a high probability. Look at Mitsubishi (only just getting back in to Forza Horizon) or Toyota pulling out of many games this past 18 months due to GTSport exclusivity and street racing and the NFS tweets recently.

Also Porsche has only just come back in to games being tied to EA for many years. So there will be contracts on what the manufacturer allows in each game. 

Sources: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/needforspeed/comments/ct5tck/toyota_deleted_their_tweet_looks_like_they_didnt/

https://www.gameshedge.com/no-toyota-or-mitsubishi-in-forza-horizon-4/

https://www.techspot.com/news/67391-long-standing-exclusivity-deal-between-porsche-ea-has.html
 

Edited by torque99uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess we’ll find out if licensing is an issue whenever Pcars 3 comes out. Let’s all agree that it’s a shame nonetheless that we can’t even enjoy a good damage model nowadays. If you told me 10 years ago that damage in games would regress (AAA games) I would’ve been confused and disappointed. Before 2010 almost every game used to atleast put some effort towards damage(not saying codies haven’t but a downgrade is still apparent). 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Lancia don't mind the whole back end just flew off in my latest race 😂  👍

 

Edited by torque99uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, torque99uk said:

I would say the license thing is quite a high probability. Look at Mitsubishi (only just getting back in to Forza Horizon) or Toyota pulling out of many games this past 18 months due to GTSport exclusivity and street racing and the NFS tweets recently.

Also Porsche has only just come back in to games being tied to EA for many years. So there will be contracts on what the manufacturer allows in each game. 

Sources: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/needforspeed/comments/ct5tck/toyota_deleted_their_tweet_looks_like_they_didnt/

https://www.gameshedge.com/no-toyota-or-mitsubishi-in-forza-horizon-4/

https://www.techspot.com/news/67391-long-standing-exclusivity-deal-between-porsche-ea-has.html
 

What does this have to do with damage? Exclusivity contracts are completely different from content restriction clauses.

The Porsche EA deal was made at a time when Porsche was struggling, and EA committed to making a love peace to Porsche vehicles. No idea about Japan companies, who understands those anyway? 😂 But the Toyota tweets were very ignorant and tone deaf.

Everyone here is parroting the same thing with no factual basis, only misplaced speculation (that has been denied by sim racer developer on Reddit last year). It's like an echo chamber. And of course, developers won't comment because it makes their lives easier.

  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

What does this have to do with damage? Exclusivity contracts are completely different from content restriction clauses.

The Porsche EA deal was made at a time when Porsche was struggling, and EA committed to making a love peace to Porsche vehicles. No idea about Japan companies, who understands those anyway? 😂 But the Toyota tweets were very ignorant and tone deaf.

Everyone here is parroting the same thing with no factual basis, only misplaced speculation (that has been denied by sim racer developer on Reddit last year). It's like an echo chamber. And of course, developers won't comment because it makes their lives easier.

So what do you suggest is the reason for the downgrade? Because it can’t be time since a modder with the right tools can increase the damage quite easily by tinkering with the game engine as we’ve already seen with dirt rally. Surely, they would’ve just given an option to hardcore damage then at least? 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×