Sign in to follow this  

WOW Mediocre reviews ...

ok so i took the dive , Ive played about 6 -8 events and Im bored already. Theres nothing here to draw me back in, the game is so toned down its laughable, This isnt Grid. It is in name , but nothing else.

The Ai is good i'll give it that , the nemesis and teammate thing is forgettable , seriously it could be so much better, it just feels like padding.  Where are all the tracks?  **** poor selection , really it is. Real let down codies. So on we go to PC3. 6/10 for me

Edited by Madmaz116
  • Agree 6

Oke my personal opinion, first off all i have a base PS4 from day one, a good but old HD TV, a verry good Harman Kardon sound system and for what it matters verry expensive good HDMI kables P

Graphics looks verry good, the sound is fantastic and it plays wonderfull, handling off the cars, the game is just a few daus out , so it only can  get better , for my its a beautifull game allready

This is not a remake of the original grid. 

I was expecting the original grid with 2019 graphics. 

This is a cross between Grid 2 and Autosport with little of the online options of the previous games. 

It feels like you have spent most of your time creating career events. Then the last 5 mins you realised you've left out multiplayer.   I cannot for the life of me understand why you would concentrate so much on the single player aspect of your game. 

Ever since the modems were invented people have preferred to play against REAL people over the computer opponents.  Its simply more fun competing against real people. 

Your AI may add excitement into career mode,  but they really just drive like morons.  I was trying to go past one on a straight he's not a nemesis, ive not made any contact and he's trying to ram me off the road.  3 times it tried to wreck me,  failed, then when we got to the turn it more or less came to a stop whilst I just drove around the turn and away from RICK SCOTT!   What is that all about?   

Then you go online to get away from AI who want to kill you,  so you can actually race and enjoy the game but you start at the back, with 12 AI in front of you, and two other humans in 1st and 2nd who just get to disappear.  This is just stupid.  It really doesn't give a fun online experience.   Quick match would be ok if it wasn't for the AI.  

There is NO chance to make changes to any cars settings online so im not sure if everyone's cars are the same and all settings are in the middle.  Or, Is it that my car setup the way it was the last time I drove it?  If so it could be stuck on short gears but im put onto a track thats needs more speed? 

To make this game the proper true GRID experience it really deserves to be just make a few simple changes: 

1: Full Damage everywhere in the game ALL the time. 

2: Remove flashbacks -  At Least from any Online event. 

3: Remove ALL AI from Online events - No requirement for them to be on the track. 

4: Hot lap events should be collisions off - this is a time attack, so you need a clear track.  Online and Career. 

5: Add Online PUBLIC lobbies with a lobby browser so people can find lobbies and drive what they want to. -  Private is just not good enough.  Not everyone has 15 mates playing this game all at the same time. 

6: Listen to the gamers,  How often does Fernando Alonso play online?  Are the AI in the game just so Fernando doesn't have to finish in last place? 😁🤣

7: Drift mode should have been in the game from day 1.

This game, looks great, and is fun,  but the online longevity of the game will be greatly increased if you follow the above steps.  It will also get my Xbox review changed and given a 5 star rating instead of its current 1 star.  

In my opinion Codemasters, you have no excuse for this online joke.   You have the past experiences and knowledge of your previous games so please explain Grid 2019 Online and why its not what it should be.   How did Race Driver Grid work online?  How did Grid 2 (as bad as that game was) work online?  How did Autosport work online?  So why then is Grid 2019 the way it is now then?   Did I really just pay £75 for an Online AI  "F-Fest"? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 3

I ignored the reviews and dived in as I loved Grid back in the day. 

Turns out I actually loved Race Driver 3 (or V8 Supercars in Australia) which is more of a sim orientated affair. 

To me the game is neither arcade nor sim enough to be....fun.

If it’s arcade then why is my car spinning 180 so easy with slight contact from another car? Forza Horizon 4 has good arcade physics IMHO  

If its more sim....why am I faster sideways through most corners? Because the car handles like a shopping cart.

Anyway, I’ll be taking it back today.  Will stick to the F1 game, Dirt Rally 2 and GT Sport as my poisons of choice to end this gen.

Edited by Ferrethead81
  • Agree 2

Well, I managed about 10 hours and I have to admit that I too found it a little tedious to play. The whole career unlock/progress system has been done a million times and with the track content available within the game something a little more constructive could easilly have been achieved to up the interest levels a lot more. Structured championships, longer races, sub games involving skill..... Basically anything that offers a fresher, more immersive feel to things and doesn't involve the style of progression already implemented. I own Ride 3 and it's similar style of progression is killing me - to the point where I can now barely race a couple of events before wanting to quit. Autosport is rapidly heading the same way and I see Grid been no different as well.

I kind of sympathise with season pass owners because part of their investment includes yet more of what there already is... Torture.

I didn't bother with multiplayer because five years of FMS has taught me one very important lesson regarding random hoppers with random people, so for that reason alone, much as I enjoy competitive multiplayer, where racing is concerned I have zero interest in matchmaking lobbies. It might be fun but, well, no thanks.

So, for a casual gamer who just wants to enjoy a few races and maybe do some of the career mode til his next game comes along I give Grid a solid 9/10 because there's more than enough in there to keep anyone happy in the short term.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a solid game with long term immersive gameplay and a view to taking it forward beyond completion of career mode then my feeling is that Grid 'as is' doesn't have enough in there to allow that to happen, so maybe more towards 5/10 with the £55 price tag factored in. The singlemost thing that does concern me about Grid is that it almost feels like it's been developed with a budget of a game that only has a 6 month sales run before it inevitably ends up on gamepass. That's a worrying thought....

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

After a couple of races, the gameplay started to click on me. It is fun... but everything around seems flawed. 

The game really feels like an early access, it has tons and tons of bugs, and it looks so, so bad on base PS4.

This might be my biggest disappointment this gen so far.

I wasn't a big fan of Gran Turismo Sport, but Grid makes me want to go back to it, if this makes any sense..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hmmmm reading some of the comments here justifies my decision to hold off until the game is bargin basement and all the dlcs and updates are released.

5 hours ago, AaronDix said:

Hmmmm reading some of the comments here justifies my decision to hold off until the game is bargin basement and all the dlcs and updates are released.

Yeah, this was going to be a day one buy for me, but as the reviews started coming out I'm happy I held off. Seems very rushed and with Codies track record with this stuff, I doubt it's going to see any significant updates.

On 10/8/2019 at 2:54 PM, Madmaz116 said:

I am suprised by the mediocore reviews on metacritic, i thought this game would be better than that , those of you that have it , are those reviewers right ?

If you played RD: Grid (the 2008 ORIGINAL game) it's not a surprise reading mediocre reviews about this new game.

If you didn't played the 2008 game... well... It's not so bad at all... but nothing special imho...

• Agree 2

On 10/13/2019 at 5:09 AM, jesped said:

image.png.3c923911adbc508a9184db94c41cbc72.png

Ah, the old 10's and 0's brigade... Never quite fathomed out how 0/10 is justifiable because where I come from the only time a game is worth a zero is when you open the box and find the disc is missing :classic_tongue:

• Haha 1

Mixed reviews is fair, the issue is if you bought this for single player then 9/10 despite the bugs, if you bought it for years of multiplayer then honestly 1/10, there is just too much missing from multiplayer at this time even without the bugs.  Multiplayer could be up there as the racing we have had, despite people jump starting has been close and fun but we want others to join our races.

3 hours ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

Ah, the old 10's and 0's brigade... Never quite fathomed out how 0/10 is justifiable because where I come from the only time a game is worth a zero is when you open the box and find the disc is missing :classic_tongue:

It's not like there is a campaign targeting GRID 2019 mate. It's the same for all games.

image.png.4f0287ef56ba68be251c87e2e08c385a.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

wow look at that score ! (sigh)

I thought this summary of a reveiw I read summed up this game nicely

" Lacking in variety in events and despite a wide array of vehicle types the absence of drifting battles, togue, multi-class racing, and any 24 hour Le Mans hold GRID back despite so much potential. GRID fails to establish an identity of its own nor hit the heights of earlier titles in the series. Ultimately it results in a game that will be forgotten about all too easily in the not so distant future. Consider GRID a 6.5 rounded up to a seven, best to wait for a sale before adding it to your collection "

Edited by Madmaz116
  • Agree 2

On 10/8/2019 at 11:10 PM, OilSlicker said:

No, it's true that whether you like a driving model in a game is subjective. But what is not subjective is you can run the same single player race in GT Sport over and over for instance and the AI drivers will run the race the same way basically every single time. They also have no personality traits, different driving styles, they are simply random generic names that are programmed to drive the same way over and over. 

Take some time to actually play the game and find out its strengths before you give a 1/10 rating like most of the dumbbutts on these rating sites. 

Not entirely true, Martin Sousa is the one AI name I remember, because he crashed me out of several races, without being nemesis or anything - just a crashy driver. Teammates would protect each other etc. As you put AI on Very Hard, drivers start to block you, instead of keeping the perfect racing line.